Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:23:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The Predator 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Predator  (Read 12727 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

on: May 10, 2018, 07:56:23 AM

Trailer for Shane Black's new The Predator

So new Predator movie, directed by Shane Black. I'm not entirely sure what the fuck they are going for here.

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 08:23:58 AM

Jakey Busey, Olivia Munn, Keegan-Michael Key. With that cast list you don't even have to watch the repetitive and shitty trailer to know this will be an uneven turd.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 09:16:15 AM

Only a crew of former soldiers and a disgruntled science teacher, played by Olivia Munn, can prevent the end of the human race.

Set between Predator 2 and Predators. 

Sign me up ... to be anywhere else.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 09:28:18 AM

I was pretty sure that the only way I'd enjoy this would be if it turned out to be a campy b-movie the moment I heard that the movie starred Olivia Munn.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 09:47:10 AM

I'm a bit weirded out by Olivia Munn's casting. She's never ever impressed me with her acting talents.

However, Shane Black is a damn good writer and not a half bad director. The Nice Guys was one of my favorite movies of the last few years, for example. Because of that I do have some hope for this movie. Not enough to pay theater prices mind you but there are maybe 2 movies a year that I'm willing to go to the theaters for.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 10:05:19 AM

Shane Black was also in on the original Predator, but in a minor role, so he probably actually has some reverence for the property.  However, the original was the only Predator film I enjoyed and Shane Black, although a great director who has made some real fun movies, is not someone I look to for this type of tale.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #6 on: May 10, 2018, 10:07:09 AM

How is it possible not to like Predator 2?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 10, 2018, 10:33:56 AM

Shane Black was also in on the original Predator, but in a minor role, so he probably actually has some reverence for the property.  However, the original was the only Predator film I enjoyed and Shane Black, although a great director who has made some real fun movies, is not someone I look to for this type of tale.

Shane Black was brought in to fix the script for the original Predator.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #8 on: May 10, 2018, 10:42:56 AM

That looks horrible. Shane Black needs to go back to writing shitty* action movie scripts.

* Except maybe Lethal Weapon
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 10, 2018, 11:13:02 AM

Shane Black was brought in to fix the script for the original Predator.
Sort of.... He was apparently brought in awkwardly to fix it, but declined to do anything but act.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/1673490/why-shane-black-was-killed-off-so-soon-in-predator

Does (the original) Predator really scream Shane Black to you?

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: May 10, 2018, 11:19:28 AM

You put a kid front and center in your trailer and I'm going to assume he is going to be an integral part of your movie and skip it.

I am the .00000001428%
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #11 on: May 10, 2018, 11:58:29 AM

First thing that came to my mind when they showed the kid was "Is this a boy and his alien?"

schild
Administrator

Reply #12 on: May 10, 2018, 01:23:36 PM

How is it possible not to like Predator 2?

It's not. Anyone who doesn't like Predator 2 is broken.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: May 10, 2018, 01:56:35 PM

First thing that came to my mind when they showed the kid was "Is this a boy and his alien?"

First thing that came into my mins is the MST3k Episode "Pod People"

http://mst3k.wikia.com/wiki/MST3K_303_-_Pod_People

Hic sunt dracones.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: May 13, 2018, 05:03:47 PM

just another cgi crapfest dumbed down for foreign rubes
schild
Administrator

Reply #15 on: May 13, 2018, 06:26:13 PM

just another cgi crapfest dumbed down for foreign rubes
this is gibberish
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #16 on: May 13, 2018, 07:14:00 PM

He's a foreign rube.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: May 16, 2018, 06:09:28 PM

I'm surprised the kid isn't Chinese
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: May 26, 2018, 11:57:49 AM

Yes, it's ridiculous when a capitalist corporation that creates media caters to a growing market segment.

The fuck is wrong with you?
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: September 15, 2018, 01:48:27 AM

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #20 on: September 15, 2018, 01:57:23 AM

Accuracy in movie titles.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
WayAbvPar

Reply #21 on: September 23, 2018, 09:54:02 AM

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #22 on: December 28, 2019, 08:00:16 PM

I finally watched this tonight because it was on HBO. Holy shit, it is just one large, never ending pile of stupid on top of stupid. Every negative review you've seen about this thing is 100% accurate. Not only does it not rescue a foundering franchise, it hopefully puts a goddamn nail in the coffin. They should have stuck with the team that did Predators (the Robert Rodriguez one with Adrien Brody) - that was a really good take on the story. This? This was worse than both Aliens vs. Predator movies.

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #23 on: December 28, 2019, 09:08:11 PM

There are only 3 Predator movies: Predator, Predator 2, and Predators. There was was this weird "Alien vs. Predator: Requiem" that strangely seemed to assume a prequel that DOES NOT EXIST that was kind of okay if completely out of canon, but there have been NO OTHER MOVIES IN THE PREDATOR UNIVERSE.

"The Predator" sounds like some kind of weird serial-killer crime psychodrama. I don't watch those.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #24 on: December 28, 2019, 09:22:23 PM

It's especially sad since Shane Black, who wrote and directed this, is genuinely talented.  Giving him the reins on a Predator film looked like a safe bet.  Everyone thinking of watching this should just go watch The Nice Guys instead...same writer/director and that movie is an instant classic.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #25 on: December 28, 2019, 10:38:12 PM

I would absolutely agree with you about The Nice Guys. Really underrated flick.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: December 29, 2019, 12:06:52 AM

It's especially sad since Shane Black, who wrote and directed this, is genuinely talented.  Giving him the reins on a Predator film looked like a safe bet.  Everyone thinking of watching this should just go watch The Nice Guys instead...same writer/director and that movie is an instant classic.

I haven't seen this movie but I agree. Shane Black is usually a safe bet and I love the Nice Guys. I guess every director has to fall flat on their face from time to time. I haven't watched this because the summaries made it sound terrible.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #27 on: December 29, 2019, 08:58:28 AM

It's so bad mainly because the summaries you hear? They are about as deep as the movie is. The dialog is minimalist at best and when they do speak, it's either making fun of handicaps like Tourette's, depression, and the autism spectrum, it's spouting some soldier bro fetishism that's not even worthy of Michael Bay flicks, some pseudo-scientific garbage assumption that makes no sense, or just some meta joke about the franchise's nomenclature. The dialog could have been written on the same cocktail napkin the plot was jotted down on.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: December 29, 2019, 11:14:18 PM

It's so bad mainly because the summaries you hear? They are about as deep as the movie is. The dialog is minimalist at best and when they do speak, it's either making fun of handicaps like Tourette's, depression, and the autism spectrum, it's spouting some soldier bro fetishism that's not even worthy of Michael Bay flicks, some pseudo-scientific garbage assumption that makes no sense, or just some meta joke about the franchise's nomenclature. The dialog could have been written on the same cocktail napkin the plot was jotted down on.

Which is just sad. I have really enjoyed a lot of his movies and it sounds like this one is so bad it could retroactively make his other movies worse. So, I'll skip it!

schild
Administrator

Reply #29 on: December 29, 2019, 11:26:08 PM

Predator reeks of studio fuckery. Has since everything after 2.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #30 on: December 30, 2019, 09:37:02 PM

Normally I might agree with you, and there probably was some "you have to have a funny black guy because we got one of those Key & Peele guys and he's funny, right?" His entire character arc is "he tells jokes" (which he does 3 times in the initial bus ride scene, then never again), presumably because he was responsible for a friendly fire incident which is why he gets along with Thomas Jane's character who has movie Tourette's so he says curse words at inappropriate times 'cos that's funny, oh and Jane's character was part of the friendly fire incident in some way. There, I've revealed two supporting characters' entire arcs. Some of them have even less depth than that.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: January 02, 2020, 09:00:32 AM

Normally I might agree with you, and there probably was some "you have to have a funny black guy because we got one of those Key & Peele guys and he's funny, right?" His entire character arc is "he tells jokes" (which he does 3 times in the initial bus ride scene, then never again), presumably because he was responsible for a friendly fire incident which is why he gets along with Thomas Jane's character who has movie Tourette's so he says curse words at inappropriate times 'cos that's funny, oh and Jane's character was part of the friendly fire incident in some way. There, I've revealed two supporting characters' entire arcs. Some of them have even less depth than that.

If this movie wasted Thomas Jane that's criminal. He's one of my favorite actors even if he has a terrible agent judging by most of his movie choices.

MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: January 13, 2020, 07:47:27 PM

If this movie wasted Thomas Jane that's criminal. He's one of my favorite actors even if he has a terrible agent judging by most of his movie choices.

Just rewatch S1 of The Expanse to ease the pain.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #33 on: January 15, 2020, 01:49:47 PM

New season of Altered Carbon in a month right?

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The Predator  
Jump to: