Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 02:54:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Project Gorgon 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Project Gorgon  (Read 22565 times)
raydeen
Terracotta Army

on: March 30, 2018, 07:10:53 PM

Well, at the risk of getting some stoney stares and possibly being automatically denned/banned/nuked from orbit, has anyone here had the sick urge to try this?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/342940/Project_Gorgon/

I've got this strong suspicion that I tried a beta of this YEARS ago (it was some Roman mythology themed game) but after damn near 20 years of playing MMO's, everything tends to run together a bit. It appears to be catering to the true old school MMO vets and I am so damn tempted to pull the trigger as it's cross platform and has a Linux client, which is where I live most of the time now.

Soooo....was/is this on anyone's radar? I did a search to try to make sure I wasn't commiting a cardinal sin by creating a second or dupe topic and came up empty.

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 07:16:09 PM

Looks interesting in an old school kinda way, but no fucking way am I spending $40 on an early access MMO. ACK!

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 07:51:16 PM

no one is getting denned for punching themselves in the dick
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 08:08:13 PM

You are probably thinking of Gods and Heroes which isn’t this game.
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 08:25:54 PM

holy shit gods and heroes lol
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 08:27:33 PM

Gods and Heroes was SO BAD.

I'd be interested in trying it (sees it's $40 for an early access MMO). NOPE.

raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: March 31, 2018, 01:50:39 AM

Well, it's $40 one time at any rate. From what I understand, there will be some sort of $5 per month V.I.P. thing as well at some point. Husband and wife dev team - I thought it might have been the Prairie Games team who did Minions of Mirth as it certainly looks like their style (old school EQ). If I do pull the trigger and decide to be a lab rat, I'll let you guys know how it is.

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
WayAbvPar

Reply #7 on: March 31, 2018, 02:15:26 AM

Looks interesting in an old school kinda way, but no fucking way am I spending $40 on an early access MMO. ACK!

This.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: March 31, 2018, 09:51:03 AM

Gods and Heroes was SO BAD.

I wonder if their "hidden server" is still up?

And if you don't know what I'm talking about, apparently after Gods and Heroes went bust they left one server active to legally satisfy those who bought "Lifetime Subscriptions." There was no official linkage to it, no way to buy a new subscription or even download the game, but it still stood. I found it once years ago and logged back in (using my beta sub I think for the free trail). It was all there, and absolutely no one else on the server, at least that was using General chat.

I guess all the Lifetime players had moved on to Hellgate:London or something...

why so serious?
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: March 31, 2018, 11:41:45 AM

I played around with PG a year or two ago when it was available for free.  It was functional, but  very amateurish.  I suppose if you had $40 burning a hole in your pocket, and a need to relive your days in Asheron's Call?

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: March 31, 2018, 01:21:31 PM

Yeah, I've messed around with the early editions off and on over the years. It's got some interesting ideas, but like you said, it's a husband and wife dev team with some occasional contractors. It's actually incredible impressive what they've managed to do, but I think if you're questioning whether you should drop 40$, you probably shouldn't, unless you're incredibly nostalgic for this type of game.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: March 31, 2018, 01:30:13 PM

For $10 I'd give this a try. 

For $40?  No thanks.

I'm willing to bet there are enough people like me to make them some money.  They just need to be realistic with their pricing.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #12 on: April 01, 2018, 09:26:11 PM

I played this (solo) for a couple of weeks last year.  The thought behind it (mechanics wise) is really cool, but the execution is god awful.  I can forgive old school and low dev team numbers, but in the end it was pretty painful.  With everything mmo, I'm sure if you have friends you play with, or have a knack with online social interactions, the game fares much better.  But even when it was free I couldn't handle it, 40 bucks?  Naw, I'll let other suckers test the waters for future content.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #13 on: April 01, 2018, 11:19:32 PM

For $10 I'd give this a try.  

For $40?  No thanks.

I'm willing to bet there are enough people like me to make them some money.  They just need to be realistic with their pricing.

I sense they don't actually want the masses playing it (yet) as they probably couldn't cope with the population and the whining/lack of commitment from $10 players.

It just looks like EQ1 to me. No incentive to try it.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #14 on: April 26, 2018, 12:47:45 PM

This looks like a cow turd with hay stomped into it.  Are you people dumb?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #15 on: April 26, 2018, 04:35:37 PM

You say that, and yet right at this very moment there at more than 1,000 people in a stream watching someone play Runescape.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #16 on: April 27, 2018, 10:46:28 AM

Look.  I understand that.  But you people are not new here and I expect better of you. We are practically family. Didn't we play UO?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #17 on: April 27, 2018, 11:20:55 AM

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #18 on: April 27, 2018, 12:38:16 PM

I'll tell you what I tell my boy: don't do things just because other people are doing them.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #19 on: April 28, 2018, 05:42:03 AM

Everything I read about the game sounds good and interesting.  What people who have played it say, doesn’t.  Still, if it gets way cheaper, willing to give it a shot.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 07:57:26 AM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: April 28, 2018, 07:34:31 AM

How can you hate on a game that has Dying and Poetry Appreciation as active skills?  awesome, for real

(next up: Fetapult Engineering?)

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #21 on: April 28, 2018, 08:11:16 AM

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: April 28, 2018, 09:01:11 AM

Hey... maybe I should stream myself staining my deck.  I bet 5 people would watch the stain dry!

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: April 28, 2018, 01:16:12 PM

I got no time for something that can't bother to have passable animations in 2018.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #24 on: April 28, 2018, 04:48:05 PM

I got no time for something that can't bother to have passable animations in 2018.

What he said. Holy shit, that looked godawful.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: April 29, 2018, 07:04:48 AM

Buy some premade assets from UNity like every shite asset flip on steam if you can't handle the animations.

Hic sunt dracones.
schild
Administrator

Reply #26 on: May 01, 2018, 08:29:23 PM

you should try path of exile

people love it
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #27 on: May 04, 2018, 06:20:23 AM

Not because of the animations. Ohhhhh, I see. You're comparing apples to durians.

Baldrake
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: May 16, 2018, 09:14:40 AM

The ass-tastic graphics notwithstanding, this guy is my hero. He was one of the leads in AC2 and STO. (Yeah, I know...) And he decided to build a commercial MMO solo. He contracted out the artwork, but otherwise built the whole thing himself. He used to have a blog showing his progress over the years, but it looks like he took it down.

I'm not saying the game is good, just that it's an amazing technical achievement.

I really should try playing it some time...
grunk
Terracotta Army

This poster is a gibbering retard. Also, he used to post from a rehab clinic.

Reply #29 on: June 17, 2019, 07:47:27 AM

this game is teh ass.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Project Gorgon  
Jump to: