Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:59:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: PyeongChang 2018 Winter Olympics 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: PyeongChang 2018 Winter Olympics  (Read 18554 times)
Brolan
Terracotta Army

on: February 05, 2018, 04:27:00 PM

The Olympics are on again.  Time for NBC to ruin it again by packaging and filling it full of commercials.

I’m planning on getting a VPN so I can watch the CBC or the BBC.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 04:38:46 PM

Give me some curling! Olympic hockey with no NHL players! Ice skating!

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 05:00:07 PM

The time zone difference is going to kill this anyone not in Asia.  I love me some Olympic hockey (even without the NHL players) but ain't no way I'm getting up at 3am on a Tuesday to watch it.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 05:34:23 PM

The time zone difference is going to kill this anyone not in Asia.  I love me some Olympic hockey (even without the NHL players) but ain't no way I'm getting up at 3am on a Tuesday to watch it.

Yeah the 88 Seoul Olympics did okay though, not sure how that will play with winter sports? Who knows, I like winter better than summer honestly.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 07:32:20 PM

NBC tape delays everything anyway. And they will only show figure skating and tiny excerpts of the interesting sports (when they have Americans competing).

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 11:57:32 PM

NBC tape delays everything anyway. And they will only show figure skating and tiny excerpts of the interesting sports (when they have Americans competing).

NBC's Olympic coverage is a complete dumpster fire.  Only people who have know other options or don't know any better watch it.  The CBC's (Canadian Olympic rights holders) coverage is usually pretty good and they show a lot of the less popular sports, plus they broadcast the Para Olympic games with close to the same amount coverage.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 04:08:32 AM

Oh, Shit: 1,200 Olympics Security Guards Sidelined Due To Norovirus Outbreak
Timothy Burke
Today 1:47amFiled to: 2018 olympics

1,200 security staffers have been sent home due to a norovirus outbreak just days before the Pyeongchang Winter Olympics are scheduled to kick off.

41 guards suffered sudden diarrhea and vomiting due to the highly contagious disease, prompting the prophylactic evacuation of the security staffers. An outbreak of the virus rocked last year’s athletics world championships in London, sidelining at least 30 athletes and team members and leading to a controversial time trial for one athlete who was barred from competing in the qualifying rounds due to his being suspected of having the disease.

Norovirus is so contagious due to its ability to survive outside of a host for several days; both North and South Korea are also in the midst of a massive outbreak of bird and swine flus. More than 80,000 North Koreans have tested positive for swine flu while a million chickens and half a million eggs have been destroyed in South Korea due to the bird flu outbreak there.

Other than that, temperatures are expected to be the lowest ever recorded at an Olympic opening ceremony on Friday. Two years ago, the pool was sick. This year, all the athletes and spectators might be.

[Reuters]

swamp poop why so serious?

Hic sunt dracones.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 08:09:06 PM

It's like Nagano all over again. A lot of people were sick as dogs after the Germans came in, gave everybody the flu and then went home. I spent a day in bed praying for death.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: February 10, 2018, 08:50:44 PM

The comments in #NBCFail in Twitter are hilarious.  NBC hasn’t learned a thing from the past.
schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: February 10, 2018, 10:51:32 PM

The coverage is dreadful. I understand good commentation for sports people only care about every four years is likely in short supply but now's the sort of time where I'd want someone like Norm McDonald doing all the coverage. I just spent three hours watching curling (which I now describe as the Olympic sport where the bar is having the athletic prowess of a sea cow) and I not only learned nothing, but I'm not even sure what the results were.

Saw we got silver to Canada for short dance. Which is probably good since we fielded a brother and sister and that's just bizarre to me. Ski jump was fun to watch.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 10:49:49 AM

If you can get it, Eurosport is doing excellent coverage.

Hic sunt dracones.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 11:31:39 AM

How much time have they devoted to the number of condoms ordered for the Olympic Village this year?
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: February 11, 2018, 01:48:51 PM

#nbcfail representitive sample

You would think by now that @NBCOlympics would understand the basic concept of not giving away a result before you show a event. #NBCFail

talking about why the fucking color blue is faster instead of showing the whole speed skating 5000m race !!! wtf!!! #NBCFail

(Turns on NBC Sports Network, is happy to watch U.S. v. Finland in women's hockey) (Does not see "LIVE" indicator in corner of screen, checks for score on Internet, finds that U.S. won 3-1, 11 hours ago) (Changes channel) #NBCFail #Olympics

Nice going @NBCOlympics you hired an analyst as smart as your president. America needs to stop sending their dumbest to represent them internationally. #Olympics2018 #NBCFail #NBCSports

There’s absolutely no way Katie Couric’s writers aren’t trolling her right now. Today, she said on national television that the reason the Dutch have so many speed skating medals is because skating is an important mode of transportation in Amsterdam when it freezes. #NBCFail

Hic sunt dracones.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #13 on: February 11, 2018, 04:05:51 PM

More NBCFail. Why do the figure skating commentators look like they’re waiting to usher in the next Hunger Games?

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
schild
Administrator

Reply #14 on: February 11, 2018, 04:34:22 PM

More NBCFail. Why do the figure skating commentators look like they’re waiting to usher in the next Hunger Games?

I described Weir as the love child of Sheldon and Kid AND Play.

But also, Tara and Weir were figure skaters. So. They get to look fucking ridiculous? Well, Weir did at least. What a punchable face. Apparently he's a fashion designer for the asshole sect as well.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: February 11, 2018, 05:07:39 PM

I described Weir as the love child of Sheldon and Kid AND Play.

But also, Tara and Weir were figure skaters. So. They get to look fucking ridiculous? Well, Weir did at least. What a punchable face. Apparently he's a fashion designer for the asshole sect as well.

All figure skaters look ridiculous at one point or another.  Most of the time they try and confine it to the ice.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #16 on: February 11, 2018, 09:19:58 PM

calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #17 on: February 12, 2018, 05:49:13 AM

https://twitter.com/JosDuijvestein/status/962368563230269441

NBC: The Dutch are so good ice scaters because thats how they travel on winter on their canals?Huh  swamp poop

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #18 on: February 12, 2018, 05:52:16 AM

https://twitter.com/JosDuijvestein/status/962368563230269441

NBC: The Dutch are so good ice scaters because thats how they travel on winter on their canals?Huh  swamp poop

Makes perfect sense coming from Trumpland.  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: February 13, 2018, 08:46:31 PM

Japan’s Yuto Totsuka’s crash in the half pipe was brutal.  It’s as dangerous as it looks: ACK!
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #20 on: February 13, 2018, 08:52:59 PM

Ya could have gone without seeing that replayed a few times. Hope he didn't legit break his back on that.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
schild
Administrator

Reply #21 on: February 13, 2018, 09:22:49 PM

Since his facial reconstruction Shaun White looks like thrift store Macklemore. That's ok though since he's the Tony Hawk of snowboarding.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: February 23, 2018, 10:14:14 PM

The penalty shot to win the Women's Hockey gold was one of the sickest things I've ever seen on the ice.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: February 24, 2018, 01:43:58 AM

First ever curling gold for USA!

-H.L. Mencken
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: February 24, 2018, 03:25:50 AM

The story behind that team is a good one too. They'll make a Disney movie out of it. Well except that it's curling.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: February 24, 2018, 07:08:27 AM

Men with Brooms is the only curling movie that ever needs to be made. It is perfect.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: February 24, 2018, 03:15:05 PM

Holy fuck there's a curling movie!!?!

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: February 24, 2018, 04:22:31 PM

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0263734/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Apparently there was TV series made in 2010 with the same name as well.

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: February 24, 2018, 04:27:09 PM

It was pretty good despite staring and being written and directed by Paul Gross (who I've never really cared for).  Leslie Nielsen is in it, too, so there's that.  
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0263734/?ref_=nv_sr_1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHOZHAb7VpM
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #29 on: February 24, 2018, 08:34:50 PM

I think it's cute in a "After you" "No, after you" "I insist, you first" "No, please you first" way  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: February 24, 2018, 10:19:21 PM

The Canada/Germany game was excellent for me, even as a Canadian. I had $500 on Germany (I have $1,000 on Germany for the Gold medal game against OAR). I knew Germany would likely win; the Canadian team was poorly put together and the Germans showed a lot in their win against Sweden.

Somewhat amazing this is the best Winter Olympics for Canada, ever, in terms of medal count when we've struggled in two areas of dominance; curling and hockey.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #31 on: February 24, 2018, 10:23:22 PM

Two goals back to back ten seconds apart. That game is killing me.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #32 on: February 24, 2018, 10:31:19 PM

Damn. It only needed 55 seconds more
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #33 on: February 26, 2018, 08:13:44 AM

If you can get it, Eurosport is doing excellent coverage.

Thanks to Eurosport, I was able to keep watching while touring the ex-Soviet bloc.

Also https://deadspin.com/the-winter-olympics-feature-2-951-of-the-world-s-greate-1823138678

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: PyeongChang 2018 Winter Olympics  
Jump to: