Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:43:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Snow in the South 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Snow in the South  (Read 20641 times)
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #35 on: December 24, 2017, 09:32:31 AM

Almost forgot!

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #36 on: December 24, 2017, 10:15:38 AM

Right back at ya.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: December 24, 2017, 11:18:50 AM

Mob

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #38 on: December 24, 2017, 01:26:59 PM

FWIW, my pic was taken in November, it’s kind of overcast and shitty in the Central Valley right now.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: December 24, 2017, 09:24:46 PM

Mine was taken a few days ago.  :p

Also, why in gods name are you in the Central Valley?  You didn't marry inland did you!?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #40 on: December 25, 2017, 11:43:37 AM

Super inland. But she’s been a NYC woman for almost 20 years now, so all is good. I’m just deep in Nunesstan right now.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: December 26, 2017, 09:32:53 AM

Oh man, Fresno?   ACK!

Mind you, I was born and raised in LaMalfalbania.

-Stephen Colbert
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #42 on: December 26, 2017, 10:04:39 AM

At least it's not Bakersfield.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #43 on: December 26, 2017, 10:09:35 AM

I had some pretty decent chilaquiles and a solid milkshake at the Moo Creamery in Bakersfield the other day, it's not all bad.

The in-laws are Fresburg adjacent.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #44 on: January 04, 2018, 08:36:22 AM

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #45 on: January 04, 2018, 09:28:50 AM

Is that a Snow-icane?

Jade Falcon
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: January 04, 2018, 11:07:59 AM

Is that a Snow-icane?

Yes it is. Northerners, you'll need your big coat.
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: January 04, 2018, 11:22:12 AM

Is that a Snow-icane?

It’s been fucking cold up here in Minnesota.  It’s pretty bad when you  look forward to just single digits below zero.
Jade Falcon
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: January 04, 2018, 11:28:21 AM

I'm in Northern Ontario, It's -40c with windchill today so I feel your pain. It's calling for -19 Saturday and we're looking forward to it.

Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: January 04, 2018, 12:04:09 PM

I'm in Northern Ontario, It's -40c with windchill today so I feel your pain. It's calling for -19 Saturday and we're looking forward to it.

We like to say Minnesotans are tough but you guys are hard as old leather.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #50 on: January 04, 2018, 12:12:18 PM

I am an utter pussy when it comes to cold. We're going to struggle to get to the high 30's until Saturday, and I'm currently sitting here in my office with a coat on, and have worn an undershirt twice this week for the first time since I was a kid. So three layers there plus my fingerless gloves to keep my digits warm. Fuck a bunch of this cold.

Jade Falcon
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: January 04, 2018, 12:29:50 PM

The trick is finding the balance between the first and second stage of hypothermia. Once you've settled in to it and the burning stops it's not so bad at least until you come inside. When I was still driving and working outside we'd leave the heaters off so we'd stay numb between job sites.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #52 on: January 04, 2018, 12:50:25 PM

Is that a Snow-icane?

It’s been fucking cold up here in Minnesota.  It’s pretty bad when you  look forward to just single digits below zero.

I work with two sites up in Minnesota... I don't envy you guys at all and I'm freezing my ass off in the single digits ABOVE freezing.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: January 04, 2018, 01:42:20 PM

Was 32 this morning when i left for work in fucking central Florida, my fucking car was fucking frozen solid and i couldn't open it. I am not equipped to handle this shit.

I am the .00000001428%
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: January 04, 2018, 04:37:48 PM

The forecast is for the upper-20s and low-30s Sunday through Thursday.  That's a break and like the sultry breezes of summer for us.
Jade Falcon
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: January 05, 2018, 12:14:33 PM

Fuck Winter

Forecast tonight is windchills from -40 to -48   ACK!
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #56 on: January 05, 2018, 12:55:51 PM

Fuck a bunch of that.

MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: January 06, 2018, 01:41:04 PM

Woo - we're past the freezing nonsense, so I get to wash the car tomorrow.  Many thanks for small blessings.  :)

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: January 06, 2018, 05:37:03 PM

Fuck Winter

I feel your pain.  The coldest air temp I’ve experienced in the past decade has been -38 F and that was pure murder.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: January 08, 2018, 08:09:24 AM

Fuck Winter

I feel your pain.  The coldest air temp I’ve experienced in the past decade has been -38 F and that was pure murder.

If you start getting to those temps you are getting in the hurts to breath level of temps. At that level it is best to just not go outside unless you cannot avoid it. Taking your car anywhere is problematic because at that temp there is a good chance of it just not starting if it is let to sit for any period of time.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #60 on: January 10, 2018, 06:27:44 PM

I want to know how you guys keep your pipes from freezing.  And bursting.  I guess the bursting is what we want to avoid, mostly.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #61 on: January 10, 2018, 06:34:08 PM

I want to know how you guys keep your pipes from freezing.  And bursting.  I guess the bursting is what we want to avoid, mostly.

Heat tape, and burying the pipes at least 4 feet below ground. Severe freezes, you'll leave the tap open just a bit, to keep the water flowing past the cold spots.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trace_heating

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: January 11, 2018, 01:40:15 PM

Depends where you live. In wisconsin generally stuff is buried deeply enough that generally it is not a problem. And the house generally won't freeze pipes in all but the worst of winters. There have been a few years where the frost depth was getting low enough like the polar vortex year where the water company told everybody just run a thin stream of water out of one faucet until the temps came back up again. As long as there is some running water it is unlikely you will have a pipe freeze.

I do highly recommend outdoor water faucet insulated covers though that is one issue that does get people from time to time.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: January 11, 2018, 02:29:19 PM

Most plumbing is either buried below the frost line (depth depends on locality/climate), or is inside behind your insulation.  Older homes and cheap homes (including trailers and cheap apartments) have issues with plumbing predating modern practices, or predating modern standards for insulation, and can have pipe bursting issues when you have extreme cold. 

Anything you aren't going to heat year round you make sure to turn off the water and drain the system, usually combined with flushing antifreeze through what you can't drain.

Basically, there is a huge difference between how residential is built and designed in Northern climes, and what you folks do in the South.  Wall thickness, insulation, use of vapor barriers (Tyvek,etc), cellar versus slabs for foundations (foundations also need to be below the frostline, or designed to account for drainage underneath), where your hookups are, etc. 

Southern building seems to be in the stone age sometimes...  Just adding Northern style cellars (where the water line allows it) and insulation would do wonders for the ease of cooling, though it is really expensive up front.  Also shit like properly venting their attic/crawl spaces and maintaining vented area between roofs and living areas.  In the North, you have to do it otherwise you have issues with ice dams and melt running where it shouldn't.  In the South, seems like you guys like to have a great big asphalt thermal absorber pumping heat into your house. 
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: January 11, 2018, 06:51:30 PM

So today in Pittsburgh-land... was 65, currently 60 and we are under a winter storm warning for tomorrow - 6-8" of snow and 1/4" of ice by Saturday afternoon and in the 20s all weekend. Next weekend, 40s... Ohhhhh, I see.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #65 on: January 12, 2018, 07:42:28 AM

Here in Mississippi, it's been dreary and rainy but warm for the last two days. This morning, it drops to the mid-30's with rain and there were even little sleety/snowy flurries out my back door before I went to work. The high doesn't look to get much higher than 35 today. Unfortunately, it'll be sunny and clear with highs in the 40's all weekend. Fuck you cold, the least you could do is snow.

Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: January 12, 2018, 08:08:14 AM

Just flew into Atlanta from Minneapolis, on the way to Puerto Rico.  Left -8 for 81 above.  I’m not sure my body can take the change.
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: January 12, 2018, 08:13:02 AM

58 when I went to work this morning, weather reports say low of 16 tonight.

This reminded on one year in Undergrad, we had a party for Halloween - one of those weekends. Saturday it was in the 70s during the day as we decorated and prepped the house. Evening was in the 50s and then as the party was roaring around 12:20 it started snowing. After we closed the party at 2 there was 4 inches of snow and it was in the upper 20s. That was somewhere in the mid 90s and I thought I'd never see something like that again.

Obviously I was not correct.

Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: January 12, 2018, 10:57:39 AM

Meanwhile, here in Alberta, I've been spending an unfortunate amount of time outside the past few days where it's been reaching -45°C - -52°C (-49 F - -61 F). I like the cold, but this has been less than ideal (I like my winters in the -10°C - -30°C range). And we'll be swinging up near freezing next week; been getting wild swings for most of the winter; bitter cold, above freezing, bitter cold, above freezing, and so on).
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #69 on: January 12, 2018, 02:21:10 PM

No snow on the California coast yet, but down south around Santa Barbara they're being flooded out.  Apparently our increasingly intense cycles of heavy rain followed by scorching heat followed by more heavy rain is not conducive to the ground staying in one place.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Snow in the South  
Jump to: