Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:40:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Altered Carbon 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Altered Carbon  (Read 41551 times)
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: February 14, 2018, 06:04:32 PM

I loved this show apart from super cartoony evil villain. I'm going to keep doing evil shit until you love me is always dumb.

I am the .00000001428%
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: February 15, 2018, 01:16:32 PM

She's obviously cray cray.

- Viin
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: February 20, 2018, 07:15:51 PM

This was great, but I wish they'd stuck the landing a bit better.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: February 21, 2018, 01:08:53 AM

I loved this show apart from super cartoony evil villain. I'm going to keep doing evil shit until you love me is always dumb.

That's the only change I had a real, real, real major issue with.  It didn't work.  Like, at all.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #39 on: February 21, 2018, 04:40:41 PM

This was great, but I wish they'd stuck the landing a bit better.

That's been the only problem with the last three series I've watched: Godless, The Sinner, Altered Carbon.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: March 13, 2018, 01:48:25 PM

Yeah this got going in the second episode, but then went to shit from flashback episode to the end.

Oh well!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 01:52:27 PM by lamaros »
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: March 17, 2018, 05:54:53 PM

It is excruciating how much this sucked.  The first half is perfect.  The mystery is interesting.  Joel Kinnaman and Chris Conner are killing it.  The science is cool.  The societal shifts generated by said science are cool.  The violence is really well done.  The abs are insanely chiseled.

Then along comes Dichen Lachman to be absolutely horrible and constantly dribble out pointless nonsense.  She turns this perfect masterpiece into a confused stumbling mess.  It's like a Zach Snyder roman orgy where everyone's mother in law just showed up at the same time. I kept hoping that they'd get back to the cool stuff, but they never do.

The violence is the only thing that's consistently great.  They add in another character just to be violent, and he's great.  Even Lachman gets that right.  But the story is terrible.  The end is so uninteresting.  What a waste.

Why don't you try our other games?
justdave
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: April 01, 2018, 03:27:58 PM

What utter shite. I forced myself through to episode six and finally gave up when

Only two good things about it were the hotel as Edgar Allen Poe instead of Jimi Hendrix; he actually fit better as the creepy, desperate, guest-less AI hotel (though they likely made the change for rights issues than anything else), and even though I'm as gay as the day is long, the gal playing Ortega is rockin' gorgeous.

"They started to resist with a crust that was welded with human brain and willpower."
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #43 on: April 01, 2018, 06:23:53 PM

I totally disagree with the last three posts. Oh well. I am very happy to be living in a time when The Expanse, Altered Carbon and Bladed Runner 2049 are things.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: April 01, 2018, 09:13:18 PM

I totally disagree with the last three posts. Oh well. I am very happy to be living in a time when The Expanse, Altered Carbon and Bladed Runner 2049 are things.
You can't totally disagree with the last three posts.  I think justdave knows if he is gay.  You have to agree with that part.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #45 on: April 01, 2018, 10:35:50 PM

You can't totally disagree with the last three posts.  I think justdave knows if he is gay.  You have to agree with that part.

I stand corrected.
justdave
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: April 01, 2018, 10:50:43 PM

Hah! Assholes.  Heart

"They started to resist with a crust that was welded with human brain and willpower."
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #47 on: April 02, 2018, 02:20:28 PM

Are you sure you're gay? Maybe it's just a phase? If you meet the right woman, maybe you'd change your mind.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
justdave
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: April 02, 2018, 05:16:59 PM

I've tried that, unfortunately. It always comes down to the same conversation.

"I wish you'd put a new roll of toilet paper on when the old one's empty!"

"Yes, well, I wish you had a penis."

justdave
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: April 02, 2018, 05:33:12 PM

Okay, to be a little less dismissive, I should say there were a couple other good things about this. The visuals and sound are gorgeous, aryan abeulita was great, and I actually like Joel Kinnaman as Ryker. Reading the book  I got him into my head as looking like Willem Dafoe, for some reason, and kept wondering why anyone would fuck this guy. Bonus points, it turns out that James Purefoy is no slouch downtown.

This made me go back and re-read the book just to see if I was mis-remembering things, though, and I think that's what killed it for me, it just doesn't feel the same to me. And, hey! I love the Netflix Expanse treatment! Watched the fuck out of that.

WayAbvPar

Reply #50 on: April 07, 2018, 10:44:27 AM

Although I agree it sort of fell apart at the end, I enjoyed this immensely. Now someone needs to adapt everything William Gibson has written. I would KILL for a Sprawl series. Cyberpunk is great- if you build a good world, you can tell stories basically forever.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
justdave
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: April 09, 2018, 10:15:31 PM

VERY yes. Though, I would agitate for a Virtual Light trilogy show before a Sprawl one, if only because that would be a bit dated unless handled properly.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #52 on: April 10, 2018, 07:55:20 AM

The Virtual Light story would be a little less action-y than the Sprawl with an even less satisfying ending.

justdave
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: April 11, 2018, 02:18:34 PM

You didn't like the ending of the Sprawl trilogy or Virtual Light? Philistine! It's not like he Neal Stephensoned it.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #54 on: April 11, 2018, 02:51:33 PM

I loved the ending of both actually. I just think the Sprawl trilogy had a more understandable ending.

justdave
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: April 11, 2018, 03:19:39 PM

Okay, yeah, I gotta give you that one. Alpha Centauri was easier to parse than Laney's weird-ass, bitter end and the whole SB30 thing.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #56 on: April 13, 2018, 02:47:33 AM

I overall liked the Sprawl trilogy, but Neuromancer was just such a better book than the other two.  It was a perfect self contained story, and while I don't think the later two where terrible by any means, they were just far less interesting stories.  Again, I enjoyed them, but not sure it would be wise to try and adapt the trilogy to screen, as opposed to just doing Neuromancer by itself.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #57 on: April 16, 2018, 02:38:29 PM

The best idea would be to take any of the shorts from Burning Chrome and just flesh that out into something. The trilogies are just too strong in book form even for this golden age of TV and are in an awkward place future wise as part of the future-tech in them is now-tech right now.

I actually think the Pattern Recognition trilogy could be pretty fantastic as the bones for a tv series. Like a smarter/more real Mr Robot. Would love to see that.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 02:42:25 PM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: July 27, 2018, 12:34:24 PM

I am the .00000001428%
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: July 27, 2018, 12:52:23 PM

Interesting.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #60 on: July 27, 2018, 12:54:40 PM

Happy to hear it.

And further to the posts above, Amazon may be doing William Gibson's The Peripheral as a series.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 06:19:18 PM by Tale »
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #61 on: July 27, 2018, 01:28:44 PM

That looks more like they are doing The Peripheral as a series rather than anything in the Pattern Recognition series.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #62 on: July 27, 2018, 06:18:55 PM

Apologies, I was posting at stupid o'clock and typed the wrong thing. Corrected.
WayAbvPar

Reply #63 on: August 02, 2018, 12:07:28 PM

Looking forward to both S2 and The Peripheral. TP is a good setup for a slower narrative like a series...a movie would take too long to set things up.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #64 on: October 16, 2018, 01:23:35 AM

Finally caught up to this. Been so long since I read this book that I only remember flashes so didn't have any issues with changes as I didn't even notice them.  Ortega is indeed hot as balls and Poe was a great alteration for sure.  Third Act problems (way too much exposition, Expanse is doing that kind of thing much better, hopefully they get better at it in S2).  I did love bad-ass S&M Lizzie. Wish we got actually more of that and she got to fight a boss instead of redshirts.

Can't believe all this talk of upcoming cyber without mentioning that Amazon is doing fucking Snowcrash (allegedly, been kinda quiet about it for a while).

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: October 16, 2018, 01:36:31 AM

They are ?  I've always thought putting that on screen would be utter balls.  Like, Ready Player One type balls.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #66 on: October 16, 2018, 01:51:51 AM

Hmm, yeah, I'm torn.  Enjoyed the book, but it's going to be really hard to capture that insane/satirical world on screen.  Like, Brazil is the only movie I can think of that did that sort of thing successfully.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #67 on: September 01, 2019, 05:44:17 PM

Rewatching this and loving it all over again. I put captions on so I don't miss a word of the set-up and world-building. It's so well done. So much attention to detail.

Season 2 coming soon, but only has 8 episodes (10 in season 1). Maybe help them stick the landing, but I still think the first season is up there with the best things on Netflix.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: September 04, 2019, 09:14:21 AM

Rewatching this and loving it all over again. I put captions on so I don't miss a word of the set-up and world-building. It's so well done. So much attention to detail.

Season 2 coming soon, but only has 8 episodes (10 in season 1). Maybe help them stick the landing, but I still think the first season is up there with the best things on Netflix.

I loved Season 1 as well. I'm a bit nervous for Season 2 but only because I haven't seen anything Anthony Mackie was in that I enjoyed him in except Marvel movies. For me, he feels sort of bland as an actor.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #69 on: September 04, 2019, 09:35:33 AM

I'm looking forward to season 2 but it will take an adjustment getting used to Kovacs not being Joel Kinnaman. I really got to like him in the role and was kind of hoping we'd see him again. I'm really going to miss Poe.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Altered Carbon  
Jump to: