Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:52:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Projects 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless Projects  (Read 107391 times)
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #315 on: August 21, 2020, 12:27:49 AM

That's really neat! Had to read it twice to figure out what was going on.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #316 on: August 22, 2020, 11:20:54 AM

Very nice!!

I always fail at least once on the precise measurements for a solution like that though. I've learned over time and many dammits later to buy several times over whatever material is needed for the repair...
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #317 on: May 22, 2022, 06:43:03 PM

My newest project is going to be laying some flagstone to replace a paver pathway that I'm dissatisfied with.  This is something I've been wanting to do for years, but I've had trouble finding a landscaper that does the kind of thing I'm envisioning and will take on a small project.  Recently I came across this guy's blog and he makes it all sound easy enough that I'm just gonna tackle it myself.

The utilities are all marked, I've got all the equipment I think I'll need, and I've picked out the rocks, so all that's left to do is actually break ground and then hope I can see it through in a reasonable timeframe instead of having an embarassing gravel pit in front of my house for months.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #318 on: May 24, 2022, 12:21:36 PM

It worked for what I wanted, but I put down a small brick pad at the bottom of my desk steps years ago and they've held up pretty well.  And I'm fairly sure I did a bare minimum crappy job.  Pavers may be different, but I think the basics of digging out the pathway and getting that even, then a sand layer over a packed gravel base before laying the pavers and filling the edges in with fine gravel/sand.  It was more time consuming than anything else from what I remember.  I probably should have used a plastic edger to keep the bricks from spreading over time, since mine have.  Nothing too terrible though.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #319 on: May 24, 2022, 01:44:55 PM

It worked for what I wanted, but I put down a small brick pad at the bottom of my desk steps years ago and they've held up pretty well.  And I'm fairly sure I did a bare minimum crappy job.  Pavers may be different, but I think the basics of digging out the pathway and getting that even, then a sand layer over a packed gravel base before laying the pavers and filling the edges in with fine gravel/sand.  It was more time consuming than anything else from what I remember.  I probably should have used a plastic edger to keep the bricks from spreading over time, since mine have.  Nothing too terrible though.

Yeah, that's roughly what I've got right now, except with brick-shaped pavers instead of actual bricks.  The motivations for redoing it are:

1. Although it was an upgrade when I originally installed it (the front yard area was just a pavement slab when I bought the house) I've decided I don't like the look any more in the context of how the space has evolved.  The plantings in the front yard have reached a nice naturalistic look now that they've matured and filled in, and the concrete pavers kind of clash.  It doesn't help that they're a sort of pink faux brick color instead of looking like a more natural terracotta -- the fakery is even more obvious because I've since added some actual brickwork.  Since we got the house repainted recently, that path is now the ugliest thing you see when you look at our house.  My thinking is that neutral-toned flagstone will blend a bit better with the yard and provide a smoother visual transition from the sidewalk to the house.

2. The joints and the sand base suuuuck from a maintenance perspective.  Weeds grow in the joints and are difficult to pull out, and I'm pretty sure a colony of ants has been excavating the sand and contributing to some of the vertical settling and shifting that's happened over the last decade.  The new thing is going to have one inch joints filled with path fines instead of sand; slightly coarser, should be less hospitable to weeds and ants alike, and the wider spacing means that when weeds do take up residence they won't be wedged in there like James Franco so I should be able to pull them out cleanly.  With larger flagstones, the weight should be sufficient to keep things from shifting horizontally.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #320 on: May 25, 2022, 07:28:30 AM

Would a plastic or simple landscape barrier fabric help with weed if you put it under the stone bed?
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #321 on: May 25, 2022, 07:43:40 AM

Would a plastic or simple landscape barrier fabric help with weed if you put it under the stone bed?

In theory, yes. It helps on large swaths of area, but not so much in smallish places. And even in large areas, youwill still get weeds pushing thru most weed block unless it is a heavy plastic sheet - which has a whole host of drainage issues.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #322 on: May 25, 2022, 08:52:52 AM

There is weed fabric under the pavers, and it might theoretically help with stuff like blackberries that shoot runners from underneath if there were any plants like that nearby, but the problems mostly come from grasses that take root from the top down, above the barrier.  You'd think stuff like that would be easy to yank, but the pavers are set so close together that the roots wedge themselves in there and can't be dislodged (instead the leaves get torn off and new ones sprout from the established roots).

I'm somewhat skeptical that there are any cases at all where the weed fabric underlayment is useful, since if something is determined enough to push its way upward through a few inches of gravel and/or decomposed granite in search of sunlight, I can't imagine a layer of fabric stopping it for that long.

Terracotta Army

Reply #323 on: May 25, 2022, 09:09:04 AM

Yeah grasses that can set up in the detritus between rocks are a pain in the ass - weeds like dandelions with their amazingly long root systems are even more so. Only real thing you can do is pull or poison (both of which are really only temp though poison lasts a little longer but might not work if you have pets).

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #324 on: May 25, 2022, 09:28:34 AM

I've had really good luck with decomposed granite (aka "stone dust", "screenings", or "path fines") in my backyard paths and am going to use that in place of sand on this project.  It doesn't 100% stop weeds, but they have a really hard time establishing deep roots, and are consequently very easy to pull when they do make the attempt.  Since it's all "dry" any holes or divots that develop over time can be fixed by just sweeping it clean and topping it up with more of the same stuff.

There's also "polymeric sand" which is sand with plastic gunk mixed into it -- I was almost going to use that, but that blog I linked earlier had a nice article on it that convinced me otherwise.  Sounds like it's basically like mortar in that it's good as long as it lasts but is a pain in the ass to fix when it cracks.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #325 on: May 25, 2022, 09:58:14 AM

I don't mind mortar much but I don't fix cracks, I remove and replace, which could turn into a pretty big project. That said, masonry caulk will get you by for a year or two and is easy to remove and re-apply. I use it in a few spots where it works better than a full repoint/rebuild. Though I'm talking vertical mostly, as my house is masonry.

I've been wanting to put in pavers to connect my garage's barn door in back to the tiny covered patio behind the house, so I'm taking notes here  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Though to be honest, I'd probably end up in the 'it's a dandy lion garden now' camp and live with it.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #326 on: May 25, 2022, 10:17:47 AM

I've been wanting to put in pavers to connect my garage's barn door in back to the tiny covered patio behind the house, so I'm taking notes here  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

When I get to the stage of knapping the flagstones to make them fit right, I'll let you know how much I end up regretting my life choices in using natural stone instead of pavers.  I'm expecting it to be tons (literally) of fun but am prepared for the possibility of reality slapping me in the face.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #327 on: October 27, 2022, 01:35:11 PM

There was some regret of life choices along the way (my back and knees started giving me warning twinges at various points, so I ended up taking months off in the middle to avoid serious injury), but I got the new path done this month, just in time for trick-or-treaters, and am now glad I powered through.

Before/after:

Some of the intermediate stages:

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #328 on: October 27, 2022, 01:57:54 PM

That's a cool wheeled barrow.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #329 on: October 27, 2022, 02:04:26 PM

It's collapsible!  I have no room in my garage for the regular kind but I can fold this one up and shove it in a corner.

Terracotta Army

Reply #330 on: October 27, 2022, 04:56:51 PM

Much respect having done that type of flag stone laying job before. Granted, I was 20 years younger and could take the beating, but still rough work.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #331 on: October 28, 2022, 10:11:22 AM

That turned out great looking!  Nice job!

And I second what Sky said about the wheel barrow.  I haven't seen one like that before, but it makes total sense especially for storage.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Projects  
Jump to: