Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:36:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Doki Doki Literature Club 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Doki Doki Literature Club  (Read 15027 times)
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: November 13, 2017, 11:56:42 AM

Stopped reading this thread when I decided to install and play the game. Could only play it in small chunks due to lack of time over the weekend, so...

Well, thanks to Schild to getting me in touch with my nerdy inner 14 year old Japanese boy. Also thanks to Schild for traumatizing him so much I'll never have to speak with him again...

Seriously, a good game that I thought could have been shorter, and longer, and less graphic, and more. If you wanted Stanley's Parable as expressed as a Anime Visual Novel, then this really isn't it, but it's kinda like that.

Lines I liked (spoilered)

And yeah, I actually liked the poems.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #36 on: November 13, 2017, 12:00:30 PM

I see someone clicked through the entire weekend process instead of just clicking auto.

Can you even get through that section on auto mode?  It felt to me like it'd hit some sort of infaloop bad state, so I quit the game and restarted and I was at the next week.   awesome, for real

(edit) I was hoping that we'd get some sort of procedurally generated mad-lib poetry built from our selections.  But I did really like the girls' poems, that was some pretty solid storytelling IMO.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 12:03:18 PM by Samwise »

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #37 on: November 13, 2017, 01:05:37 PM

I didn't see it as really great storytelling, really.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #38 on: November 13, 2017, 01:36:35 PM

The deal with the president is (big spoiler)

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: November 13, 2017, 02:45:18 PM

I didn't see it as really great storytelling, really.

But it wouldn't be obvious at all to your 14 (or so, maybe 15?) year old nerdy "Anime is the closest I get to literature" character. Not obvious at all, and even if it was not much you could figure to do about it at your age/experience.

Honestly, these Visual Novel type things require a certain level of roleplaying to meet the story halfway. I found the circumstances of

But not saying you are wrong in not liking it. It doesn't play right for what you like in gaming. I'm certainly going to be pretty careful in which of my RL friends I recommend it to. Some will love it, others would share your take.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #40 on: November 14, 2017, 11:23:52 AM

I simply don't get why this is a thing worth talking about. I mean, I do understand: it's the shock of a couple of scenes and the hype coming from it. If you play visual novels at all, you know they often involve very uncomfortable and disturbing themes and/or toying with the player's emotions. And there are so many free and good (and disturbing) ones even on Steam that I really don't see what's the big deal here at all.

This is about:

OK.

I don't think it's terrible. I think it's just not good at all.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #41 on: November 14, 2017, 02:03:01 PM

I'm gonna be less careful about spoilers since we're on page 2 now.

Most of what I liked about it was the fourth wall breaking stuff.  The glitches in the UI, the visible seams between the "original" game and the hastily-hacked version, the fact that part of the story involves you actually deleting a file off your real filesystem.  It's the same thing I liked about Stanley Parable, and while this is a much less polished experience, I feel like it went further in some areas.

The slow buildup makes it feel very uneven, but I don't think the game would have worked as well without it.  On my second playthrough I could tell very quickly that the two girls were "not themselves," because I had a pretty good sense of their characters from the first playthrough, and there was a cool psychological horror aspect to that.

That said, I really enjoyed Papers Please which is 95% literally a paperwork simulator and 5% a story told through the very unusual lens of a paperwork simulator.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: November 14, 2017, 02:08:07 PM

Yeah, I get that you and schild like that the game is in love with itself. That doesn't do anything for me but I see how that works.

The thematic and emotional of content of the game is poorly written and glibly uses real and unsettling topics for shock effect, poorly.

The meta humor and obsessive self involvement is done better, bit I'm not that interested in that to give a pass on the time spent slogging through the rest of it
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: November 14, 2017, 02:23:06 PM

Starting this now; haven't ready any spoilers and I'm still pretty early. Is this something I'm going to want to play through to get a route for each girl?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
schild
Administrator

Reply #44 on: November 14, 2017, 03:00:32 PM

just play the game

it's not worth playing to see all the bits, you'll end up doing the right path (to see the best game stuff) the first time
schild
Administrator

Reply #45 on: November 14, 2017, 03:02:39 PM

I simply don't get why this is a thing worth talking about. I mean, I do understand: it's the shock of a couple of scenes and the hype coming from it. If you play visual novels at all, you know they often involve very uncomfortable and disturbing themes and/or toying with the player's emotions. And there are so many free and good (and disturbing) ones even on Steam that I really don't see what's the big deal here at all.

This is about:

OK.

I don't think it's terrible. I think it's just not good at all.

addressing your 3 spoiler bits without being spoilerish

1. this is the least interesting part of the game
2. this part, I thought, was done pretty well, but I haven't really praised the story in this game at all
3. no, you're just wrong, it's not "repetitive by design" because it's simply not repetitive. while on your second and third punching through of the story, there are things repeated, the game itself is not repeating, things are wildly different - to wit, the "second" playthrough was vastly superior to the first - which was the weakest
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #46 on: November 14, 2017, 09:58:31 PM

To me it was repetitive even before it started actually repeating itself. I mean, on your first run you go through three days where you are all trading poems with each other. I couldn't believe it. That's when I felt I was being mocked. "Is this thing really gonna force me through three sessions of amateur-kawaii-hour of terribad poems trading in order for something to fucking actually happen?"

Yes.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: November 15, 2017, 12:21:10 AM

My solution: play through once - then watch endings on youtube.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #48 on: November 15, 2017, 08:18:53 AM

Oh wow, I didn't even realize you could get a happy ending.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #49 on: November 15, 2017, 11:52:12 AM

Massage parlor joke.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #50 on: November 15, 2017, 05:39:55 PM

Massage parlor joke.

Rimshot

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Doki Doki Literature Club  
Jump to: