Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 07:02:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: WoW Expansion 8: Rehash ALL The Ideas 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: WoW Expansion 8: Rehash ALL The Ideas  (Read 80560 times)
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: February 18, 2018, 05:28:43 PM

As far as I know, it's supposed to be achievement based and account wide.

So, if once character gets the achievement, it counts for all of them, but you have to do the whole achievement on one character.  Like, you can't do half of the Highmountain quests on one character and the other half on another character and have it count for that "did all the Highmountain quests" achievement, but once you DO get the achievement on one of your characters it works for the entire account (even for characters on the other faction).

So, as long as one character has the rep, that should be enough, as far as I know.  

Though in your case, I'm not sure that's a problem, since each race only needs one rep and one quest achievement to unlock as far as I know.  If you have one character who's done the Suramar quests, that would be a requirement for unlocking the Nightborne, but I don't think you need it for any of the other races and I don't think you need any Argus rep to unlock the Nightborne.

edit: What I'm trying to say is that there are two achievements to unlock each race: one to get exalted with a faction, and one to do the quest line associated with their zone.  You theoretically could split that in half, with one character doing the rep grind and one doing the quest grind, if you wanted.  But you can't split it so that one character will do half the quest grind and another character will do the other half of the quest grind, or something.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 09:37:49 PM by Kail »
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: February 20, 2018, 06:49:05 AM

As was mentioned, if you play even semi-regularly you’ll have the rep.  I’m levelling a lightforged disc priest, she’s gone from 20 to 71 just doing the zones around Ironforge, hellfire peninsula/zangarmarsh, and dungeons as they pop.  Being a healer, queues are quick, but there’s a lot of alts being levelled.  I expect that to drop off hard eventually.

Dungeons are a mixed bag.  In part that’s because of people who try to tank like they’re end-game geared, pulling multiple packs and/or not using cooldowns.  At times though it feels like there’s some internal issue—two groups that should perform roughly the same in the same dungeon, and one will struggle considerably more with taking/dealing damage for no real discernable reason.

Or maybe it’s just typical shitty WoW stuff  awesome, for real

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: February 20, 2018, 06:58:01 AM

I enjoyed Legion simply because I had a dedicated group of 5 to play with.  The WoW culture is so toxic and judgemental that running Mythic + with a pug is a nightmare.  I find that I leave Wow when my friends leave WoW. 

If any of you guys wanted to form a regular 5 man to level or do content, just let me know.  I've played most roles except tank and would enjoy the upcoming content with a regular group of chill, non-judgemental adults.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: February 27, 2018, 12:40:42 PM

My gear is shit, and I'm not 110, but I'm on late PST if anyone's around. Walrusinc#1969

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: March 02, 2018, 03:12:30 AM

At least we can finally get a f13 Community going in the next expansion. You know, so the five or six of us that play can group or something.  why so serious?

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: March 03, 2018, 10:17:44 AM

A question about allied races.  Can you unlock them with the requirements spread out amongst your different characters or does it have to all be done on one?  Reason I'm asking is that my hunter has the Broken Isle rep stuff done (including the Suramar story) but my paladin is closer to exalted with the Argus factions.  I really, really do not want to either have to grind out Argus rep with my hunter or go through the BI rep grind with my paladin again, esp. the Suramar quest line because fuck ever doing that again.

Many of the achievements are account wide.

This Legion Attunement tool is very useful.

https://www.wowhead.com/attunement
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: April 02, 2018, 07:55:58 AM

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: April 05, 2018, 07:05:17 AM

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: April 05, 2018, 07:08:09 AM

There's a lot of Mob over the new Azerite armor/talent system. Apparently, Bliz is thinking that it's a good idea to go back to having multiple gear sets, because that's totally why they homogenized gear stats a couple expansions ago.

swamp poop

I'll direct you to here for more info: https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/89q323/we_need_clarification_on_azerite_armor_because/

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: June 20, 2018, 04:42:28 AM

Couple weeks out from the 8.0 patch going live. New content is looking fab.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: July 17, 2018, 02:31:21 PM

Well, this pre-patch experience is going about as well as I expected. Ohhhhh, I see.  I'm stuck at the server list and can't log in.  Check that, I can't even get that far now.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 02:34:02 PM by Ginaz »
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #46 on: July 17, 2018, 02:36:51 PM

awesome, for real

Buddy at work has been playing since Wrath and I'm the only person he knows who played during Vanilla so he's been trying to recruit me to resurrect my old account. So I did last week without telling him and been playing the free 20 levels trying shit out again. Just texted him complaining about the patch day (trolling him more like it) and how I'd like to get the expansion but can't if Blizzard after 14 years can't get their shit together.

Hilarity ensued.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: July 18, 2018, 10:53:25 AM

I'm looking forward to trying out war mode, I like quite a few of the ideas they've implemented.  World PvP has never quite been the same since flying mounts came about but hopefully it feels a little like the old PvP server leveling experience.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #48 on: July 18, 2018, 02:51:33 PM

I really don't like the customer support now. There basically is none. I'm stuck on a quest in Jade Forest that won't complete and the quest is a chain that gates the entire rest of the zone. Tried all the usual tricks (deleting folders, reset UI, etc.).

So I just have to move on to a new zone which isn't really too big a deal but I like Jade Forest for leveling new toons through. There's no way to actually talk to someone to confirm the issue though. Bug submission has no feedback, so I'm throwing the ticket into the aether hoping it gets heard.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: July 19, 2018, 09:04:21 AM

Reddit posters have been busy compiling a list of issues with the new expansion.

You'd think after all this time that Blizzard would have their act together.  I guess we'll find out at release.  Ok, not me directly.  I'm done with WoW.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: July 19, 2018, 09:09:56 PM

Reddit posters have been busy compiling a list of issues with the new expansion.

You'd think after all this time that Blizzard would have their act together.  I guess we'll find out at release.  Ok, not me directly.  I'm done with WoW.

I'll probably do what I've done the past few expacs.  Check out the story, level a few alts then quit after 3-6 months.  WoW just doesn't have the longevity it once did for me.
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: August 15, 2018, 11:16:17 AM

Soooooooo ... this is out.

I'm reserving judgement on the new artifact system, but it seems okay.  As your neck piece collects Azerite ranks, it unlocks bonus powers on ALL Azerite items (so far: chest, head, shoulders).  They feel like mini-set bonuses but you get them for having azerite ranks, not collecting gear pieces.

Kul Tiras is better than expected.  Quests are decently engaging.  I mean, its still "kill 10 rats" but the zone design is some of the most pleasant since Grizzly hills in Wrath.

Proudmoore Keep is not great as the continent hub.  (Dont know waht the Horde hub is like, sorry)  Lots of stairs and turns.  Stuff is harder to access than it needs to be, because ATMOSPHERE.  I get it, we're running clandestine operations out of a shady waterfront office, but move that shit closer to the flightpoint.

Or better yet, reactivate the mobile app.

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: August 15, 2018, 12:08:43 PM

Pretty much agreed on all you said there. Grizzly Hills was my favorite thematic zone in WoW and Kul Tiras is maybe my new favorite. There seems to be less silly humor (so far, actually no humor at all) which will likely change but is also welcome.

Everything seems simplified: artifact weapons condensed into the necklace, no profession quests, quest progression.  So far, so good. 1hr waits for dps on normal dungeons is not fun at the moment though.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #53 on: August 15, 2018, 01:28:08 PM

Soooooooo ... this is out.

I'm reserving judgement on the new artifact system, but it seems okay.  As your neck piece collects Azerite ranks, it unlocks bonus powers on ALL Azerite items (so far: chest, head, shoulders).  They feel like mini-set bonuses but you get them for having azerite ranks, not collecting gear pieces.

Kul Tiras is better than expected.  Quests are decently engaging.  I mean, its still "kill 10 rats" but the zone design is some of the most pleasant since Grizzly hills in Wrath.

Proudmoore Keep is not great as the continent hub.  (Dont know waht the Horde hub is like, sorry)  Lots of stairs and turns.  Stuff is harder to access than it needs to be, because ATMOSPHERE.  I get it, we're running clandestine operations out of a shady waterfront office, but move that shit closer to the flightpoint.

Or better yet, reactivate the mobile app.

Horde hub is a nightmare of stairs and levels - I mean, it's a troll pyramid - ZG on steroids. That said, it's not terrible in setting.... just in movement. Flying would make it trivial so I can see gating that right now.

Surrounding areas seem decent enough. Heavy jungles with lots of reskinned dinos. It's enjoyable - but I'm rather biased as the whole reason I resubbed was because of the Zandalari troll playable race

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: August 24, 2018, 07:53:44 PM

Whomever designed Temple of Sethraliss has earned a radioactive molten enema.  It's absolute shit of the highest order.

The rest is ok.  If you're alliance you'll probably want to turn off world PvP, the horde imbalance is obscene. The measly 10% bonus is not worth the camping and stupidity.

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: August 25, 2018, 10:22:41 AM

I haven't had War Mode on even a single second, even on opening day when it would've been totally safe to do so. I just despise World PvP on principle. I like the dungeons so far. Waycrest Manor is a bit of a maze but I really like the aesthetic. I'm still somewhat reserving judgement until M+ is released since having to pull for percent will really change how the dungeons play out, as well as the Fortified/Tyrannical buffs making certain trash/bosses a nightmare.

The Lord of the Land approaches..
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: August 25, 2018, 11:56:29 AM

Told Barad was pretty meh, but Waycrest and Freehold are a bunch of fun. I also like the island expeditions, except for the bitchy max-level players.

"ugh, two low levels"
"have you done these before"
"welp, gj losers"
"great, another loss"

And we ended up winning it, but he was so worried about bitching us out he didn't lead us and spent more time complaining than fighting things. Fucking toxic people, especially the ones that played beta and rushed to max level. To expect everyone to know everything eight days after the expansion launched is fucking stupid.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: August 25, 2018, 07:23:03 PM

Whomever designed Temple of Sethraliss has earned a radioactive molten enema.  It's absolute shit of the highest order.

The rest is ok.  If you're alliance you'll probably want to turn off world PvP, the horde imbalance is obscene. The measly 10% bonus is not worth the camping and stupidity.

I had War Mode on and I only got jumped maybe 5 or 6 times and never got camped.  The pvp skills you can use while leveling (except in dungeons) were nice benefits, too.  You are right, though.  For some reason all the cool pvp kids go Horde.  And is it just me or do the new dungeons seemed filled to the brim with trash mobs?  I don't remember having to wade through so much trash just to get to a boss in the Legion dungeons.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 07:24:39 PM by Ginaz »
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: September 01, 2018, 06:17:07 AM

I turned Warmode off, and have really enjoyed leveling up Alliance side. I like the scenery, the stories are ok, the music is enjoyable. The artwork and voice-acting seem done by Disney (20th Century Disney, not 21st Century Disney).

I'm a little surprised (and disappointed) that there's nothing about the burning of Teldrassil since the pre-launch event. It's as though it happened in an alt universe.

It does seem like there is more trash in dungeons - and more packed into smaller zones in the open world.

Crafting seems meh.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: September 03, 2018, 05:15:09 AM

Crafting is meh. Like, I don't even know why they bother anymore with it; either make it useful like it did back in vanilla/BC or something.

Ready to tackle Uldir tomorrow.

Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: September 03, 2018, 05:47:23 PM

Late to the party on this one, I guess.  Played a few hours, questing seems pretty fun so far, as Xanthippe said the music is pretty good (WoW has always had surprisingly solid music, in my opinion) but the first few hours are such a chore.

Starting out, they give you that completely useless splash screen that tells you three things and gives you no context for any of them so you don't know if they apply to you or what they even mean.  They also don't mention some fairly important things like, hey, we switched off your artifact weapons, and also all the abilities they gave, and you have a bunch of new abilities sitting in your spellbook that you don't have on your taskbar now.  Also we rearranged your taskbar.  I especially like the bit where it gives you a "click here to get the quest to go to the new zone" box, and if you don't click it, it gives you the quest anyways.

Then they throw you immediately in to a multiplayer scenario.  I haven't had a chance to fight ANYTHING yet, I haven't played this game in like a year, I just had to respec all of my talents, I have no idea what I'm doing, so the only available option to start this new expansion is to do an instance with a bunch of other players, sure, why not.  They keep throwing story in my face and it's just so bad.  Like, I guess the Horde is back to just being the villains again, which is annoying, but I could live with it if we were at least FUN villains (like the destruction side in Warhammer Online) but we aren't.  It's like half of the writing team at Blizzard is still trying to write the Horde as some morally complex grey faction, and the other half is like "eh, orcs are like, monsters, or something, right?  Fuck it, we'll just make the Horde mustache twirling cartoon villains" and neither half talked to the other.  "Are we really doing the right thing," wonders one guy while he's flooding the battlefield with plague juice to turn the enemy soldiers in to shambling undead atrocities slaved to the will of the banshee queen.  "We did burn down Darnassus (WTF, game, another thing that might have been nice to mention on that splash screen) for no reason aside from being assholes, but remember that real strength comes from HONOR!" It's just so stupid.  And of course you, the player, have no choice over anything you do, you have to agree to do all this stupid petty bullshit like you're completely on board with it and SO HYPED to finally be taking the fight to those Alliance jerks(?) because we're obviously so personally invested in the political horseshit of an imaginary world.  Can we go back to saving the world or something?  I liked saving the world.

Then, after completing that, IMMEDIATELY I have to run across the world to Silithus where I have to talk to Diamond Dwarf about how Azeroth is in pain etc. etc. etc. and after clicking on a skill box five or six times I get some super amulet, and then I am IMMEDIATELY shunted back to Orgrimmar ("let me send you back to your allies" said the voice actor, who wasn't budgeted to say different sets of lines for each faction).  Wouldn't it have been better to stick this at the beginning?  Give the player the amulet, THEN send them on this bullshit war story?  You wouldn't have to yo-yo them between Silithus and Origrimmar and completely mess up the pacing and flow of this story you're ramming down the player's throat?

Then it's back to Sylvanas for another instanced follow the leader quest where you're breaking someone out of Stormwind.  This quest lasts roughly thirty years and involves following around two trolls and listening to all the Alliance people recite crappy monologues about how much they hate you and how shit you are as you RP walk behind the guys you're escorting.  First part is breaking them out of the stockades, and the first prisoner you run in to is Saurfang, who was captured during the Undercity scenario and is all "how long have I been down here, I've lost track of time".  Jesus, reel it in, drama queen, you've been captured for maybe an hour.  Could have delayed that revelation and used Saurfang's capture to build some tension, but fuck it, we've got ten pounds of story and we're dumping it all on you right now.  Then there's a tedious "escape" sequence where an NPC tells you to do something and you do it and then an enemy says "NOT SO FAST" and does something to stop you so another friendly NPC has to tell you do do something to stop them and that happens over and over again until you win.  You also get to play the fun game, "who the hell do they want me to fight".  Some enemies are standard enemies that you can kill no problem.  Some enemies are difficult and might kill you if you pull two at once.  Some enemies will just one-shot you.  About half of them have that "elite enemy" gold snake border, but some of them you can kill and some you can't.  Also, they're all visually identical.  So, have fun with that.

Once that's done, you can finally start playing the game (after meeting with the troll king, establishing the embassy, taking two tours, listening to Sylvanas' passive aggressive boyfriend throw sarcasm at you, etc.) and it's not bad, but goddamn, that is one seriously uninspiring introduction.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 06:11:58 PM by Kail »
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: September 03, 2018, 07:48:54 PM

The good news is that you have to do most of it for each of your alts, so you'll have it down pretty well after the third or so.

There's a lot to like here and I'm having fun, but they have changed all the classes to a point enough that I don't feel like any of them fit me. Nothing is really grabbing me and I'm just kinda going through the motions. Which is sad, really. The zone themes are great, but as my toons hit 120 they all start to feel really weak. So mentally I have this challenge as if at 111 I was a superhero taking on 5+ mobs on my DK, but at 120 2-4 mobs can end really poorly for me if I don't use ALL my abilities in rotation. I'm guessing it gets better as dungeon/raid gear comes in, but as a fresh 120 I'm not having fun.
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: September 04, 2018, 01:35:02 PM

it does get better pretty fast.  I play an affliction warlock, and it took for-fucking-ever to kill anything when I was iLvl 270-ish.  A few non-heroic dungeons and a ton of dailies, and I'm up to about 325, and stuff goes down at a decent rate.  Once you get some iLvl 340 gear (Revered with the various factions), you'll be back on track.

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: March 22, 2020, 11:11:33 AM

This expansion is officially finished. All of the limitations that were imposed on content and systems over the course of the last couple years have been removed in the last week:

- All of the caps on currency/reagents for Horrific Visions are gone and they boosted currency acquisition rates from quests
- The cloak can now be upgraded to the max rank 15, and can have it's resistance boosted further week after week now.
- Essences can now be acquired for little to semi-little effort on alts, as long as you've done the hard work on at least one toon, regardless of tank/heal/DPS spec

Combined with the 100% XP boost that's going on from now till April 20th thanks to coronachan, it's a good time to play and prep for the next expansion. Leveled a Warlock from 20 to 90 in 10 hours /played over the last two days with heirlooms.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: May 19, 2020, 05:19:46 AM

Bliz is actually trying to keep current content somewhat fun/relevant.

- The currency they added so you could buy essences on alts can now be used to buy additional HV runs, and coming soon: a rotating list of corruptions that you can augment your non-corrupted gear with.
- The amount of quest items needed to upgrade your cloak per rank have been reduced at the upper tiers to one full-run per rank.

The catch here is that they're multiplying the amount of currency you need for those rank 3 essences by 5, while also increasing the amount of currency you get from the sources of currency by 5 as well. This is address people that have been hording the currency for the last couple months so they're not suddenly more OP than anything.

Targeted corruptions is dope. Min/maxers will have a field day gaming the system, and it gives me a little more incentive to do these HV runs on my Horde DK alt.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: WoW Expansion 8: Rehash ALL The Ideas  
Jump to: