Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:38:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Phantom Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Phantom Thread  (Read 6361 times)
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

on: October 24, 2017, 10:28:47 AM

New Paul Thomas Anderson film staring Daniel Day Lewis. Set in London, 1950's.  Probably a masterpiece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtWNdHDWsB0

edit: I fully expect a grisly end for the heroine.  Calling it now.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 10:40:42 AM by Soln »
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 01:42:09 PM

I watched this trailer today and still clicked on this post thinking it was a thread about a new Phantom movie, or something weirdly related to SW 1. Am I the only idiot here?

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 01:47:59 PM

No, you weren't the only one.

Also, I have consistently hated every movie Paul Thomas Anderson has done and I see nothing in that trailer which makes me think that streak will be broken.

schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 03:25:09 PM

I don't know how to hate There Will Be Blood. It was the closest thing to an instant classic ive ever seen.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 03:47:40 PM

If I had to choose a favorite movie it would be There Will be Blood.  Based upon that alone I'll see anything P. T. Anderson makes for the rest of his career.

Also, who hates Boogie Nights?  Everyone likes Boogie Nights.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
justdave
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 03:58:28 PM

I was going to say the same thing, and then wonder if Schild was working on a new 'The Weed is Too Damn Strong' vape flavor, and then I discovered that PTA directed There Will Be Blood, as well, and now I'm just lost. I never would have imagined. I guess he changed his oeuvre from 'Fucked-up surrogate family' to 'Man, Daniel Day-Lewis is fuckin' scary'.

"They started to resist with a crust that was welded with human brain and willpower."
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 07:00:32 PM

I will admit DDL was great in There Will Be Blood, but as a movie, Anderson's stuff just infuriates me. He takes the tone poem sound tracks from David Lynch, Kubrick's direction of "make the actors talk really slow and pause for really long times for no discernible reason" and finishes it off with "ending that just kind of happens without any real sort of build up or climax, it's like virgin sex, suddenly it happens and then you're left to sit in the wet spot." And then he somehow makes all those things worse as the sum of their parts.

Boogie Nights managed to take an Oscar-worthy performance from Burt Reynolds and a naked Heather Graham and somehow make it all both boring and depressing, while also making me need to take a shower after watching.

In short, his work insists upon itself.  why so serious?

Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 10:16:19 PM

In short, his work insists upon itself.  why so serious?

What does that even mean?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pnwE_Oy5WI

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 12:00:30 AM

Instantly what I thought of.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 08:00:03 AM

That is my all-time favorite Family Guy clip ever. That phrase is just one of those that has tickled me for years, kind of like "He was much admired among people who like that sort of thing."

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 07:13:48 PM

I was going to say the same thing, and then wonder if Schild was working on a new 'The Weed is Too Damn Strong' vape flavor, and then I discovered that PTA directed There Will Be Blood, as well, and now I'm just lost. I never would have imagined. I guess he changed his oeuvre from 'Fucked-up surrogate family' to 'Man, Daniel Day-Lewis is fuckin' scary'.

You might be getting him mixed up with Wes Anderson.
schild
Administrator

Reply #11 on: October 26, 2017, 08:09:47 PM

I dont think haemish has any idea of what hes talking about.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #12 on: October 26, 2017, 08:18:50 PM

It wouldn't be the first time you've thought that.  why so serious?

There Will Be Blood is PT Anderson, not Wes Anderson. It is also a really shitty movie.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #13 on: October 26, 2017, 08:57:58 PM

Yep, you are exactly Peter in that clip right now.   awesome, for real

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: October 26, 2017, 09:14:24 PM

There Will be Blood?

*saunters off to read wikipedia plot summary*

That... sounds...

Huh.

That sounds boundlessly unentertaining.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: October 26, 2017, 09:24:37 PM

Depends on if you like acting or not.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #16 on: October 26, 2017, 09:32:35 PM

*saunters off to look up the definition of shitposting*

That... sounds...

Huh.

That sounds like what Soulflame just did.

Seriously, go watch a movie before you decide to post about it.  I'll take Haemish's opinion over someone who only read the wikipedia plot synopsis.

schild
Administrator

Reply #17 on: October 26, 2017, 10:22:14 PM

There Will be Blood?

*saunters off to read wikipedia plot summary*

That... sounds...

Huh.

That sounds boundlessly unentertaining.
Don't be a fucking cultureless goon.
schild
Administrator

Reply #18 on: October 26, 2017, 10:25:07 PM

I have a distinct feeling Haemish is either:
A. Thinking the Resident Evil director and There Will Be Blood director are the same person.

B. Is working very hard to erase any semblance of good taste he may have accrued over the past fifteen years.

Whether There Will Be Blood is good or not isn't even up for debate. You don't get to say it's bad. It's like voting for Trump. You're just retarded and unemployably stupid if you did so. Not liking this movie, or at the very least, not respecting what it was, means everything you've ever enjoyed is suspect.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: October 27, 2017, 12:26:28 AM

Yeah, I mean, I can understand somebody not liking it.  It is a very non-standard movie and probably not at ALL what people where expecting when they walked into the theater.  But that doesn't mean you can't acknowledging that its a top tier cinematic work (there are plenty of movies I don't like that fall into that category for me).  I can't fathom calling it a shitty movie.

Also, when I think about it, the movie has probably both my most favorite opening and ending scenes of any movie.

-Stephen Colbert
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #20 on: October 27, 2017, 07:51:56 AM

No, I know exactly who PT Anderson is and it's not the guy who directed Event Horizon (that's Paul W.S. Anderson, who also directed the Resident Evil series). I have watched Boogie Nights, There Will Be Blood and The Master by this director (2 of those 3 I was really excited about before I saw them). I haven't liked any of them. I recognize the guy has talent, specifically his eye for framing shots and getting really great performances out of actors (Burt Reynolds, Daniel Day-Lewis and Phillip Seymour Hoffman, which again - 2 of those 3 are top tier actors). My problems with him are as a writer - 2 of those 3 movies were written by him (he only adapted There Will Be Blood from an Upton Sinclair novel or at least parts of it).

His movies are the perfect example of faffing about for 2 hours before trying to wrap up whatever narrative threads he's pulled off this giant quilt of characters and motivations he put together and using those threads to create something which he swears is a sweater but it really looks more like a goddamn Frankenstein's monster yarn ball. My biggest problem with all of his films is they don't resolve they just sort of end. Characters just kind of make pronouncements, the camera drifts away and I'm left going "WUT?" Endings should have some resolution and I don't feel like any of those do. In a sense, they are somewhat naturalistic (in that real life doesn't tend to have anything like endings except that one bit near the end, things just kind of change sideways) but as a film, as a narrative, I'm left completely unsatisfied, mostly because I don't feel like it's because this is where the writer wanted to be, it just happens to be where he ran out of screen time and just stopped writing. Of the 3 I mentioned, TWBB actually had the best ending, in that the conflict really did have an ending, it was just one that felt REALLY forced. Like, Ok, I get that these two giant assholes have been feuding for decades but the violence was jarring, because it felt out of place. Dude gets whacked and then it's just... over.

I mean, that's exactly the criticism a lot of you give Neal Stephenson (and rightly so) about his endings. I can abide the tone poem soundtracks for mood, even the Kubrick slow-talking pauses, but the endings just get right up my nose. You can disagree with me all you want, and call me retarded, but it's not like I haven't examined this shit constantly in my head over the years figuring out what pisses me off about his movies so much.

P.S. I also dislike the Godfather (1) and have never seen Godfather 2. 3 was just terrible.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: October 27, 2017, 08:19:49 AM

I need to work 'It insists upon itself' somewhere into a conversation this week. That's fucking gold.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
schild
Administrator

Reply #22 on: October 27, 2017, 08:53:05 AM

No, I know exactly who PT Anderson is and it's not the guy who directed Event Horizon (that's Paul W.S. Anderson, who also directed the Resident Evil series). I have watched Boogie Nights, There Will Be Blood and The Master by this director (2 of those 3 I was really excited about before I saw them). I haven't liked any of them. I recognize the guy has talent, specifically his eye for framing shots and getting really great performances out of actors (Burt Reynolds, Daniel Day-Lewis and Phillip Seymour Hoffman, which again - 2 of those 3 are top tier actors). My problems with him are as a writer - 2 of those 3 movies were written by him (he only adapted There Will Be Blood from an Upton Sinclair novel or at least parts of it).

His movies are the perfect example of faffing about for 2 hours before trying to wrap up whatever narrative threads he's pulled off this giant quilt of characters and motivations he put together and using those threads to create something which he swears is a sweater but it really looks more like a goddamn Frankenstein's monster yarn ball. My biggest problem with all of his films is they don't resolve they just sort of end. Characters just kind of make pronouncements, the camera drifts away and I'm left going "WUT?" Endings should have some resolution and I don't feel like any of those do. In a sense, they are somewhat naturalistic (in that real life doesn't tend to have anything like endings except that one bit near the end, things just kind of change sideways) but as a film, as a narrative, I'm left completely unsatisfied, mostly because I don't feel like it's because this is where the writer wanted to be, it just happens to be where he ran out of screen time and just stopped writing. Of the 3 I mentioned, TWBB actually had the best ending, in that the conflict really did have an ending, it was just one that felt REALLY forced. Like, Ok, I get that these two giant assholes have been feuding for decades but the violence was jarring, because it felt out of place. Dude gets whacked and then it's just... over.

I mean, that's exactly the criticism a lot of you give Neal Stephenson (and rightly so) about his endings. I can abide the tone poem soundtracks for mood, even the Kubrick slow-talking pauses, but the endings just get right up my nose. You can disagree with me all you want, and call me retarded, but it's not like I haven't examined this shit constantly in my head over the years figuring out what pisses me off about his movies so much.

P.S. I also dislike the Godfather (1) and have never seen Godfather 2. 3 was just terrible.

awesome, for real
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #23 on: October 27, 2017, 09:35:45 AM

You missed the word "Psycho" but I'm assuming it was implied.  why so serious?

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: October 27, 2017, 01:53:50 PM

Some of those points i agree with but the ending to twbb was perfect because that is how violence happens. That scenario was painfully realistic because of it’s suddenness.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: October 27, 2017, 07:28:20 PM

Holy balls. I didn't think anyone in their right mind disliked Godfather I and II. II especially is just wizard cocksucker magic.

There Will Be Blood is pretty fantastic too. I like Boogie Nights, don't absolutely love it. The Master is half good and half not good.

He's an interesting director, no doubt.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: October 30, 2017, 02:08:37 PM

I'm alone among anybody I've ever met in enjoying the hell out of Magnolia, but yow does Mr. Anderson need to edit. His movies are always at least 30% too long. Sometimes the tension sustains it, other time... well, he's no Kubrick (and often, neither was Kubrick). I'll watch this movie on DVD at some point. For completion's sake.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
BobtheSomething
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: November 04, 2017, 10:33:58 PM

I wasn't that impressed with The Godfather the first time I saw it.  I read the book, expecting to get some insight and was surprised at how schlocky it was.  Then I rewatch end the film and had to conclude there was some genius involved in the film after all.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Phantom Thread  
Jump to: