UO turns 20 and Raph writes things

(1/11) > >>

Tale:
Raph Koster decided to take questions about Ultima Online (which I am sorry I never played) for its 20th birthday.

The first one: how did UO push the genre forward? Raph answered in 4900 words.

But in the end, if you ask how it pushed the genre forward, I think the answer is that it did so by offering a dream, a dream that even today people compromise on and don’t offer. This idea of a true parallel world with its own life, its own ongoing history, one that doesn’t pander or make concessions for tutorials, bolted-on quests, pay-to-win gear schemes, or any of the other niceties of the business of games… the idea that “what if you just actually modeled another world, in as much detail as possible, and let players loose?”

That’s something that frankly, still isn’t really on offer. So to answer your question: Ultima Online pushed the genre forward by providing an early Camelot, a shining city on a hill that technology wasn’t really yet able to build. It was, and remains, aspirational. It started retreating away from its own lofty goals almost immediately upon launch, and nobody else has managed to make something quite like it.

On to question 2.

schild:
man, I have some questions but theyre all really fucking mean

But i like Raph and liked SWG so he gets a pass.

Raph:
Quote from: schild on September 28, 2017, 10:47:36 PM

Ask away, :) Most of the answers to the mean questions are going to be "inexperience" "stubbornness" "money" and "time."

Merusk:
In less or more than 1,000 words?   :drill:

schild:
Quote from: Raph on September 28, 2017, 11:30:53 PM

Quote from: schild on September 28, 2017, 10:47:36 PM

Ask away, :) Most of the answers to the mean questions are going to be "inexperience" "stubbornness" "money" and "time."

Most of the questions would be about the continued employment of half the cabal over there.  :oh_i_see:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page