Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:37:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: Former Treyarch Employee Gets Exposed After Quitting to Join 343 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Former Treyarch Employee Gets Exposed After Quitting to Join 343  (Read 24298 times)
patience
Terracotta Army

on: September 26, 2017, 01:48:25 PM

awesome, for real

So I come across this post.

MultiLockOn

Hey guys, I wanted to update you all on my situation with 343.

This is a little embarrassing and I've struggled back and forth about posting this publicly but I think it's best if I explain this once to everyone, and not a hundred times individually. As of yesterday 343 revoked their offer to me as a level designer. It seems that they weren't pleased with the way I've criticized them in the past between my posts on Forgehub and Beyond. So whoever made the anonymous account on r/halo and posted screenshots of old posts, well...congrats! You won. In fact you won to the extent so that I already quit my prior job, sold my place in California, placed a $2500 payment on an apartment in Bellevue Washington (among other expenses), and began transporting my belongings up there. Only to find out from the agency I was working under that my offer was withdrawn. Which puts me in a tricky position where I am both unemployed (no Treyarch or 343) and scrambling to find some place to live - as I had briefly moved my belongings to my parents during this weird transition phase. So life has definitely thrown me a curve ball here.

Now hear me, I'm not looking for pity. I believe I'm currently reaping what I've sowed; and it's not that I regret criticizing 343 publicly in the past because they are not above reproach - they know this as well. But rather the way I've gone about it could always have been more...professional. At least considering that my goal has always been to be in the industry I should've held myself to a higher standard (if that's not your goal then flame on). I suppose a little patience over the years could have gone a long way in this moment. I just wish communication would have been a bit clearer going either way to have avoided the pickle I'm currently in.

The expenses isn't the bad part; I can deal with that. I have no doubt I can find another level design job in the industry given time. The aspect of this that really drives home is that this was Halo. After all these years of forging, I thought what I wanted was 1: a proper editor without boundaries, 2:to be a professional. It wasn't until I was sitting at Treyarch working on the highest grossing video game franchise in the world with every ounce of dev power at my disposal did I realize that it wasn't about the editor, or the money, or the prestige. In fact after a 12 hour work day at Treyarch I would commute 3 hours home, sit down in front of my xbox, and start forging. And I think it was in that moment that everything really clicked - nothing really matters unless you're building for the game you love. And for as long as I can remember it's been Halo, it's always been Halo. All the dev tools in the world couldn't drive me away from clunking blocks together in forge just to have a single good 2v2 match before I knocked out for the night. People always ask me why I play so much Halo 5 (Level 142) if all I do is bitch about it. Well, I'd rather play a Halo game I hate than the greatest Battlefield game out there. Or the best Call of Duty. Or the best such and such. Even with all the frivolous mechanics that have entered the franchise in the past decade that I don't agree with, the simple ebb and flow of a good pistol battle is something that you're not going to find elsewhere.

I was excited to leave my cushy Southern California to go to rainy Washington, I was excited to take a ~$10,000 paycut. I was excited because I had finally made it to the place I felt like I was born to be in; Halo. And honestly that's all that mattered to me - working on the franchise that I loved. So to essentially already be in the door and then pushed back out is....difficult. And even more difficult knowing that this is essentially a forever no, a "you insulted our franchise and employees and will probably never get a chance to work here" no. It's disheartening to the point where I'm not even sure if I want to pursue another position in the game industry at this point. In the back of my head no matter where I worked I always knew I wanted to end at Halo. That's what I love, that's where my strongest talents lie, and that's what I know. So to have the reality spelled out for me where that position will likely never happen is a hard pill to swallow right now.

The few conversations I had with Tom French were delightful. The man was incredibly friendly, welcoming, understanding. I have no doubt that he would be a pleasure to work with and a great man to work under. But I just wanted to let you guys know that I'm sorry this didn't end up playing out. I was as excited as any of you were to contribute to the franchise and hopefully really design maps that would stand the test of time, I wanted to really make this franchise the juggernaut we all know it can be. So, sorry to let everyone down.

This tell all has gotten the internet detectives looking over the situation.

So they guy worked at Treyarch and took a pay cut to join 343.

Someone forwards 343 a post where he said just 3 months ago everyone at 343 doesn't deserve their jobs.

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

It also comes out he may also have had his offer rescinded because he had a history of harassing other Halo Forgers.

Ohhhhh, I see.

So what are the odds he'll get another job in the games industry again?

OP is assuming its somewhat of a design-goal of eve to make players happy.
this is however not the case.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 02:05:12 PM

I expect he'll join the Star Citizen team ANY DAY NOW.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 04:23:30 PM

Good find.  Popcorn

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 06:29:43 PM

It's a struggle right? Probably about 50% of the entire industry shouldn't be employed. Gaming companies are hilariously bloated.

Regardless, this guy seems like a bit of an idiot (as in a total idiot).
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 09:43:00 AM

It seems like, more and more, game companies remind me of daytime soap operas.  Why?

When I was a little kid, we had a beagle named Forger.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 11:49:22 AM

Because they're all run by nascent man-children. Every single one. Those that aren't are run by sociopaths with a layer of nascent man-children between the sociopaths and the code monkeys.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 01:21:40 PM

Fuck, he will be employed again in a week. Nepotism in the games industry is standard. Some dipshit will hire him FOR shitting on 343.

Hic sunt dracones.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 01:45:48 PM

Fuck, he will be employed again in a week. Nepotism in the games industry is standard. Some dipshit will hire him FOR shitting on 343.

That's really not how it works. I shut the fuck up about the many shitty experiences I've had in the industry because doing otherwise is a good way to never get hired again. Especially in triple-A where everyone knows a guy who used to work with you that you might have pissed off three studios ago.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: Former Treyarch Employee Gets Exposed After Quitting to Join 343  
Jump to: