Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:12:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: HURRICANE FUCKSTICK 5001: MORE IRMA, MORE CANE 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: HURRICANE FUCKSTICK 5001: MORE IRMA, MORE CANE  (Read 94676 times)
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: August 27, 2017, 09:21:19 AM

Never seen the NWS post something like this:

"This event is unprecedented & all impacts are unknown & beyond anything experienced. Follow orders from officials to ensure safety."
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #71 on: August 27, 2017, 09:25:44 AM

NWS is not known for its exaggerations.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: August 27, 2017, 09:28:23 AM

Ex's place in Pearland water got up to the garage last night but the street drainage is working so that flooding has gone down. The creek across the street is within a foot of going into her neighbors back yard and not showing any signs of going down. She keeps talking about evacuating and I told her the best thing they can do is hang out on the second floor if water starts to rise as the major storm surge is over but trying to drive across a flooded Houston and south Texas is asking for problems. It all depends on if they're going to get any more rain, as right now it's stopped.
Yep. Most of the rain fatalities are in your car. Second floor if you have to (but not attic. You want a way out) or roof. I can't imagine the flooding hitting a second floor.

50 inches of raini is for isolated locales, right?. I'd hate to be those locales. (Some places saw up to two feet last night. We saw less than one. Houston is pretty honking big.). So they're forecasting another foot to two feet over the next four days. So four feet total, if you get super unlucky...

It's freaking weird seeing some of the footage and looking outside at light rain and clear streets. I'm about 15 miles from Hobby, which got two feet of water.

Right now I seem to be in a charmed zone between two heavy bands of rainfall. It ends just to the west of me and begins about twenty miles to the west of me. I've friends in the Woodlands who are seeing the same weird, low-rain bubbles.

Seriously, some of the pictures of downtown are awful. The bayous and rivers are full, there's no way for it to go. At least the rainfall intensity is slowing down some.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #73 on: August 27, 2017, 09:29:52 AM

Five feet by Friday, says our computers.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #74 on: August 27, 2017, 09:45:26 AM

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: August 27, 2017, 09:52:44 AM

CBS is showing a main road that is flooded and the current is so strong that the signs and light poles are actually causing wakes in the water.  I have no words.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: August 27, 2017, 10:50:23 AM

Five feet by Friday, says our computers.
The radar is showing a lot of heavy stuff all the way out to Louisiana. We just had the next heavy band hit us -- it's not too bad, but I know it hammered stuff to the southwest of us hard earlier.

This is just an insane amount of rain.

Edited to add: I keep hearing "Up to another 25 inches of rain through Friday" which doesn't sound so bad as compared to "25 inches of rain in the previous two days" except all that previous rain is still trying to drain.

I cannot believe I'm in a hurry for a damn tropical storm to get closer, but if it gets close we can stop eating the dirty side of the stupid thing.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 11:04:05 AM by Morat20 »
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #77 on: August 27, 2017, 11:08:59 AM

I wish you all the best and hope everyone comes out the side alive and well.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: August 27, 2017, 01:05:01 PM

Yay. First leak from the roof. It's small, and the roof was old and already about to be replaced (They were supposed to do it last Friday).

I can't find it exactly, but it's pretty slow. I think it's coming from right behind the ductwork. Only real solution is a bucket and jabbing a small hole in the ceiling.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #79 on: August 27, 2017, 01:33:49 PM

Yay. First leak from the roof. It's small, and the roof was old and already about to be replaced (They were supposed to do it last Friday).

I can't find it exactly, but it's pretty slow. I think it's coming from right behind the ductwork. Only real solution is a bucket and jabbing a small hole in the ceiling.

Hey, maybe you can get some of that insurance money for roof replacement. But seriously, stay dry.

We took a walk earlier since it's gotten quiet in the Heights.  We walked to Ella Blvd and there's was a ton of water, navigable in a truck though (as people did while we were there).  Few mins later, all those trucks came back.  Turns out it wasn't flooded standing water from the rain.  It was flooded because it's part of White Oak Bayou now.  Here are some images from Ella @ TC Jester.

This guy has a live stream of Buffalo Bayou @ Milam:

https://www.youtube.com/user/t3dwork/live

Here's the reference image:

Note: If they have to relieve the Barker and Addicks resevoir, that Bayou stream could go up SO FUCKING HIGH.

And just for fun, here is Hobby Airport's runways (Southwest main hub):

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: August 27, 2017, 01:46:17 PM

It's poking the street drains with sticks time.

I'll say this: My particular little town has pretty high taxes. They spend it on infrastructure. After Allison, they sunk a ton into upgrades. It's really paying off. I can see the main culvert for our area, and there's still plenty of concrete showing. Assuming our damn street starts draining. It's got a good four or five hours before the next set of heavy rain.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: August 27, 2017, 01:58:04 PM

It's poking the street drains with sticks time.

I'll say this: My particular little town has pretty high taxes. They spend it on infrastructure. After Allison, they sunk a ton into upgrades. It's really paying off. I can see the main culvert for our area, and there's still plenty of concrete showing. Assuming our damn street starts draining. It's got a good four or five hours before the next set of heavy rain.

Yup. With Harris county, you can really see where the money was spent.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: August 27, 2017, 02:49:23 PM

Some of these pictures I am seeing are insane.

Good luck, folks.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: August 27, 2017, 05:40:35 PM

You know, that's going to be a REALLY important story to tell afterwards, and it's so easy to not tell: towns that invested in their infrastructure doing pretty well. Your tax dollars at work; your public servants doing as they ought.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: August 27, 2017, 09:46:21 PM

I really wish Harris County wasn't 1700 sq miles.  It's hard to figure out if a tornado warning for Harris county means me or Seabrook 45 miles away.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #85 on: August 28, 2017, 12:49:53 AM

For the little it's worth, best wishes and luck to all of you guys in Texas and surrounds.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #86 on: August 28, 2017, 05:26:19 AM

What Azazel said. Hope you are all fine.

The images would be an impressive nature spectacle if it wasn't about the people affected. :/

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #87 on: August 28, 2017, 06:24:58 AM

Not people, Texans. Not quite the same thing in most cases  why so serious?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #88 on: August 28, 2017, 06:38:04 AM

So, it's already time to make jokes?

Will the Texas Coast smell better after this?

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #89 on: August 28, 2017, 06:47:55 AM

This is what happens when the governor tells everybody in the state to pray for rain.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #90 on: August 28, 2017, 06:48:56 AM

We walked to Ella Blvd and there's was a ton of water, navigable in a truck though (as people did while we were there). 

No. No it is NOT. It never is. Never, ever, ever.  You do NOT drive through standing water. Period.  I don't care if you "Know" it's only 12" deep, the terrain undulates more than we are ever aware in our day-to-day life. Those people are lucky they did not get stranded in the first place, causing even more problems for a stressed emergency system.

A simple 'flat' road can dip as much as 18" across a few hundred feet without being noticeable. (.5% slope across 300' = 18" change)  A mere 6" can be the difference between "no problem" and "shit, I'm stuck and the water is rising."

That's assuming flat land. In several of those photos I see multi-foot drops plainly evident within only a few dozen feet.

Stay safe. Stay out of the fucking water, regardless of how "badass" and "lifted" you or your truck think they are.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: August 28, 2017, 07:17:31 AM

Oh God, yes I know.  That stuff is nuts.  But people do it.

Starting to hear reports from some of our friends that they finally lost power or they are finally in what's considered evacuation zones.  It's terrible, because we have been relatively unaffected but no one can navigate to get here for A/C and food.
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: August 28, 2017, 09:33:08 AM

I'm going to donate something, and I'm sure the red cross and larger organizations are currently getting tons.  You folks on the ground, any thoughts on anywhere to donate to that might be lesser known and more needy?

Why don't you try our other games?
schild
Administrator

Reply #93 on: August 28, 2017, 09:37:12 AM

I'm going to donate something, and I'm sure the red cross and larger organizations are currently getting tons.  You folks on the ground, any thoughts on anywhere to donate to that might be lesser known and more needy?

DIAPERS.

http://wtkr.com/2017/08/27/texas-diaper-bank-in-need-of-donations-for-families-displaced-by-hurricane-harvey/

SERIOUSLY. DONATE DIAPERS.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: August 28, 2017, 09:43:29 AM

So looks like Hurricane Fuckstick 5000 has now finally hit water again (or close to it) and is going to meander up to fuck with Houston and/or Louisiana.

Which adds in "storm surge" to the run-off problems (compounded by the fact that cities and county's are being forced to open up reservoirs and let them drain, as they're about to over-top which would be...worse), oh and also high winds. Oh, and power outages.

I hear "high winds" and "soft, soggy ground" and "trees" don't go together well. It's hopefully only TS winds, but Harvey's been fucking everyone so at this point I wouldn't be surprised if it magically went Cat 5 and grew a middle finger to give to Houston.

And none of it will stop until this fucker passes us sometime Wednesday, plus like two damn days to let the water drain.

(In all reality, I think the constant rain bands and stuff have been sucking a ton of heat out of the ocean around here. I'm not sure there's much for it to draw on).
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: August 28, 2017, 09:53:28 AM

I'm going to donate something, and I'm sure the red cross and larger organizations are currently getting tons.  You folks on the ground, any thoughts on anywhere to donate to that might be lesser known and more needy?

DIAPERS.

http://wtkr.com/2017/08/27/texas-diaper-bank-in-need-of-donations-for-families-displaced-by-hurricane-harvey/

Diapers donated.  :)

Why don't you try our other games?
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: August 28, 2017, 10:47:14 AM

You know, that's going to be a REALLY important story to tell afterwards, and it's so easy to not tell: towns that invested in their infrastructure doing pretty well. Your tax dollars at work; your public servants doing as they ought.

You know, I was just mentioning this to my wife. For all the fact that services are being overwhelmed, it looks like the infrastructure in most places is sound. Apparently disaster management is something that is taken seriously in Texas, and whatever corruption is allowed there has kept (mostly) hands off.

This is from an outsider looking in, but kudos to anybody there working disaster relief, both the planning and the reality.

Also thanks Schild for the diaper tip.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: August 28, 2017, 11:14:02 AM

Someone on another forum has been commenting on the fact that Harris county has (a) High taxes and (b) been spending that money on infrastructure.

Anyway photos of flooding in Baytown.

http://baytownsun.com/local/collection_ce7a654e-8b34-11e7-a2e1-6bc181d57aec.html

Hic sunt dracones.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: August 28, 2017, 03:26:16 PM

Hope all our Texans are still flourishing.

It's amazing in photos that even the smallest dip in elevation in a rain-drenched landscape becomes a lake.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: August 28, 2017, 04:46:02 PM

DIAPERS.

Diapers donated.  :)

Done, and also a general reminder that diapers are always in need, even when there isn't a disaster.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: August 28, 2017, 05:24:20 PM

Bleach might be good to donate as well. There is going to be a lot of people wading in what is effectively raw sewage, and scrubbing exposed skin with bleach diluted water could stop serious infection setting in.

In the meantime panic is setting in with some Texans, resulting in the unlimbering of second Amendment solutions in some cases.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/28/us/harvey-houston-texas-louisiana/index.html

« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 05:31:09 PM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: August 28, 2017, 05:46:35 PM

Just to add misery to total destruction, Chemical plants in the area are starting to add to the fun.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Chemical-leak-adds-to-catastrophe-in-Ship-Channel-12097384.php

Harvey is heading for New Orleans...

Hic sunt dracones.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: August 28, 2017, 07:01:08 PM

Well, they're moving my grandfather out of his home tonight. It's been flirting with coming in his house (he's got some in his back porch now) for a few days, but it looks like it's just not going to drain fast enough to keep up with oncoming rain.

So he'll end up in a shelter for a few days, since nobody can get him the 10 miles to me or my parents (both of us with dry streets and no current risk of flooding).

Then this weekend we'll have to go assess the damage. I don't expect it'll be too bad, thankfully. He's not exactly a horder, and his stuff is all up pretty high. even most of the furniture is solid wood that can be cleaned easily.
Raph
Developers

Title delayed while we "find the fun."

Reply #103 on: August 28, 2017, 07:49:53 PM

none of it will stop until this fucker passes us sometime Wednesday, plus like two damn days to let the water drain.

Umm... here's what the head of disasters for the Red Cross is saying.

...what I want folks to think about is southeast Texas has been - Harvey has turned southeast Texas into basically an inland lake the size of Lake Michigan.

I expect that we are going to see rivers out of their banks, at major flood stage, well after Labor Day weekend, well after the 10 of September and that we are going to be dealing with this all the way through Christmas.

...in terms of what this storm has done and what it's going to continue to do and what we're going to - this is, for my - in my career, the most catastrophic event that I have seen. And I put no caveats on that and I put no limits on that statement. It is a - it's, at a minimum, a two-disaster problem.

The hurricane came in. It brought all of these winds and storm surge and rain. And now we're going to deal with 50 inches of flooding basically turning the entire southeast portion of the state into an inland lake. We're going to deal with rivers out of their banks for weeks, massive destruction, structural damage to homes. And we're going to have an incredible long-term housing challenge. So this is, in my opinion, the most catastrophic event I have seen in my career.

- http://www.npr.org/2017/08/28/546691455/the-after-effects-of-hurricane-harvey-have-been-overwhelming
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: August 28, 2017, 08:17:59 PM

The hard thing is that so many people can't get to some other people to help--it is severing social and familial networks even if people are only a few miles away from one another.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: HURRICANE FUCKSTICK 5001: MORE IRMA, MORE CANE  
Jump to: