Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:48:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Soccer thread 2017/2018 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Soccer thread 2017/2018  (Read 68639 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #70 on: February 25, 2018, 02:46:17 PM

This is true but I still think they should get a new keeper in the summer. Karius has gotten better but his kicking and distribution lacks something and he's still prone to some bad positioning. Robertson though may be the best money they spent in the summer other than Salah, of course (who is certainly the biggest value for money in the entire Prem). He's still young and prone to some fuckups like today against West Ham, but he's nothing like the utter colossal cluster in defense that Moreno is. And Alexander-Arnold on the other side has made Clyne's long-term injury immaterial. He's made a number of naive young player mistakes but what he offers on offense makes up for it most of the time.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #71 on: February 27, 2018, 07:44:23 PM

Iran coach alleges Lionel Messi is not human.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: April 03, 2018, 06:04:11 PM

Ronaldo scored a good goal.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: April 04, 2018, 04:06:51 AM

Agreed.

Also Zlatan's debut for the LA Galaxy   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: April 04, 2018, 05:21:22 PM

Liverpool destroys Man City in Champions League. God that team is fun to watch.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #75 on: April 05, 2018, 08:15:56 AM

They really are. Now I don't know how much different game will be at the Etihad but if Salah's injury keeps him out, I am in no way comfortable with a 3-0 lead. Especially considering Henderson will be suspended for that match. Hendo and Milner were just bossing that game in midfield right up until Salah went off and the Ox had to go forward. He's so much better in that midfield role than in the front three. Still, we managed a clean sheet so no away goals to worry about next week.

Every Liverpool fan has been dreading the moment we see Salah's hamstring snap because we all remember how good Torres was before his went. Sames goes for Sturridge. Seems like I've spent over a decade living and dying by the strength of someone's dodgy hammy.

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #76 on: April 11, 2018, 01:57:33 PM

That penalty call was stupid as fuck. No way that this was a penalty.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: April 11, 2018, 01:58:01 PM

Champion’s League needs VAR
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #78 on: April 12, 2018, 04:11:22 AM

That penalty call was stupid as fuck. No way that this was a penalty.

um. the fuck you say?

its controversial because any pk in stoppage time in a tied series where a team had to come back from down 3 in the first leg is going to be controversial but you have a player in front of goal with a clear chance who has a defender come from directly behind him, through/around him. saying no way that was a penalty is just retarded. its a call so close you have to spin it several angles and slow it down and then decide what does or doesn't constitute enough contact / resistance to going down.

which means its a close as fuck call that from a refs pov in real time is probably going to look like a penalty considering how alone in front of goal he was and how good the chance is if someone doesn't jump on his back and "knock" him down.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: April 12, 2018, 06:33:51 AM

Lol it was a clear penalty.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #80 on: April 12, 2018, 07:18:34 AM

That... was not a penalty. Especially not in a situation as big as that one. Jesus, I get more contact from people at the fucking grocers than happened in that penalty box. And then to send Buffon off for telling the ref what a dumb fucking call that was is just ridiculous.

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: April 12, 2018, 07:26:56 AM

Buffon pushed him, repeatedly. Ref had to send him off by this point, basically.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #82 on: April 12, 2018, 11:10:28 AM

That... was not a penalty. Especially not in a situation as big as that one. Jesus, I get more contact from people at the fucking grocers than happened in that penalty box. And then to send Buffon off for telling the ref what a dumb fucking call that was is just ridiculous.

The "don't decide the game" argument means that its not a "not penalty" as much as a "light penalty you'd rather not decide a game by" for the record.

Also the "don't decide the game" thing really shouldn't be applied to when a guy standing open on the 6 yard line goes to ground as he controls the ball right? That's a super golden scoring chance. That was taken away. By a light penalty you could live with not being called maybe. I can see that stance. Saying it should never have been called or that there's no way its a penalty is just bullshit

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #83 on: April 12, 2018, 11:55:17 AM

I wouldn't call that penalty in the first minute at the center circle, much less at such a crucial time in the game. It just wasn't a fucking penalty or a foul. Live speed I said it wasn't a foul. Hell, Raheem Sterling tossed Virgil Van Djik aside on the touchline and stole the ball which led to Man City's first goal on Tuesday night and it wasn't called a foul, despite having more clear contact and an attempt to win the ball by unfair means. And that's from a ref who just loves handing out cards based on how he reacted the rest of the game.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: April 12, 2018, 03:06:26 PM

Its a 50/50 call at best.

That it gave shithead Madrid and shithead Ronaldo the victory just makes it terrible. That team and its fans can go suck it.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: April 12, 2018, 06:02:55 PM

Penalty was harsh, Vazquez seemed to be already going down before contact was made. The red card for Buffon was egregious considering it was going to be his last game and the timing of the decision. Left a sour taste, but the penalty was impressive under the circumstances.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: April 12, 2018, 11:27:08 PM

and Ronaldo was being a cunt about it afterwards, ripping his shirt of and flexing and celebrating like he just broke Apolllo Creeds back.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: April 13, 2018, 02:14:21 AM

Buffon pushed him, repeatedly. Ref had to send him off by this point, basically.

Buffon was out of line, but considering the circumstances - one of the all time great keepers playing his last CL game, never having won it. Faced with a dubious injury time penalty, after making a near historic coming back. It's quite an understandeable reaction. Oliver should portion some of the blame as he was the silent sullen little child he always is in these situations and had lost control.

Nothing wrong with a simple word and a yellow card, explain why you think it's a penalty even if you're wrong. Then another yellow if the outburst continues.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #88 on: April 13, 2018, 08:16:29 AM

So now Liverpool gets Roma. To say that I'm happy with that choice would be an understatement. I did not want either Real or Bayern in the semis.

PLEASE BAYERN, BEAT THESE REAL MADRID FUCKERS.

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: April 13, 2018, 10:41:11 AM

Unlikely
WayAbvPar

Reply #90 on: April 14, 2018, 10:41:05 AM

Ronaldo was being a cunt

In other news, the sun rose in the east today, and Donald Trump said something stupid.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: May 02, 2018, 02:17:35 PM

After this weeks CL semis I have only three things to say:

- the semis have probably been the most appalling refereeing I have seen in a long time, maybe ever. So many shit calls, about 5 - 8 clear penalties not given and absolutely useless goal line referees. VAR can't come soon enough.
- fuck UEFA's/FIFA's interpretation of handballs. What gets and what doesn't get called a handball is utterly inconsistent. It's so fucked that the "rule" is not even consitently applied in a single game by the same Ref. Does there have to be a move towards the ball or not? Fuck if I know because the Refs clearly don't.
- Even a decidedly mediocre Real Madrid side is pretty much unbeatable and against the almost non-existant Liverpudlian defense they'll have a field day if they needed only 2 out of 2 shots on goal to sink Bayern. It's like playing FIFA on easy mode with all assists on.

Sometimes I think that they'd even win without a manager which makes me doubt that Zidane is actually the great manager people make him out to be or if it's simply a case of any old doofus being able to win with this team.

Ronaldo scores 55% of all goals Real makes. If he ever retires or has a career ending injury (he's 33, retirement is only a few years off, basically) Real are royally fucked. Ronaldo is basically worth 1 - 2 goals per match. Except when he doesn't even show up, like against Bayern.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #92 on: May 03, 2018, 09:55:32 AM

The refs were fucking terrible in both the Liverpool/Roma games. Roma was gifted two handball penalties that should never have been fucking called. I'm not sure what the refs think a player is supposed to do with their hands in either of those situations, since their arms were at their sides and not moving forward when they were struck by the ball. The one against Klavan was fucking ridiculous.

I wouldn't be so sure that Real Madrid will roll over Liverpool, despite Liverpool's really shitty defense. For one thing, Bayern is good but they don't really have a player of Salah's capability in the front line. Lewandowski is getting a big long in the tooth and he's never been what I'd consider a great athlete that can break down good defensive lines like Salah/Firmino/Mane can. Also, Real Madrid's defense isn't that great either. Zidane is not a great coach, he's coaching a team full of superstars that rely on getting the ball to a superstar and hoping he hits the back of the net. Early in the season when Ronaldo couldn't score, the team wasn't playing well and it's why they didn't win the league. There was even talk of Zidane getting shitcanned, talk which stopped once Ronaldo started scoring again.

Liverpool's biggest problem isn't even defense these days - it's keeping a midfield healthy enough to field 3 players who won't trip over their own dicks. Henderson/Milner/Winaldjum are the only ones left standing. Fuck's sake, Klopp had to resort to putting a completely out of his depth Trent Alexander-Arnold into the central midfield 3 against Stoke so as to not wear James Milner out (and TAA played really bad in that role). If the midfield three pair can dominate like they did against Roma in the first leg, Real Madrid is going to have problems. Liverpool is about as deep as a puddle at every position. The starting XI are good if not great but take any of those out and UH-OH.

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: May 03, 2018, 02:47:03 PM

Another day another shit call in a semi. Ref gave a corner to Marseilles that wasn't one. Marseilles then scores the 2:1 in the 118' minute. Salzburg are furious.

THis shit is getting ridiculous.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: May 04, 2018, 01:18:11 AM

My handball interpretation.

It's not just one rule it's two, hand to ball and ball to hand.

• First is mostly seen when a player jumps for the ball and swats the ball with his naturally swinging arm, this appears to be a penalty regardless of intent.
  • Secondly it's intentionally leaving it in (an unnatural?) position if you have time to move it out of the way, here the ref needs to deduce intent which is very difficult.

Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: May 14, 2018, 10:21:38 AM

With just the finals left for this club seasons I guess its time to sum up PL

I was wrong on ManC, didn't expect them to be this dominant in the league, a complete team except when it comes to champions league. Five seasons without Ferguson and fifth season behind ManC. Kane did a great season but the star of this season was Salah. Wtf is it with chelsea the year after they win the league.. Its a shame that the Arsene Wenger era ended the way it did #lolarsenal

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #96 on: May 14, 2018, 11:34:33 AM

Chelsea's biggest problem is they can't be happy with a manager for longer than it takes to win one title. Conte is a prickly fucker and he was really stupid to feud with Diego Costa but he got results. Now that Abramovich isn't the biggest spender in the Premier League, he's finding it difficult to compete and I love it. Arsenal is suffering for their reluctance to fire Wenger last season when they had the chance. Kroenke is a cheap piece of shit and unless they get an absolute gem of a manager, I think their decline is going to be longer and harder than both Liverpool and Man U.'s.

Next season we get to see Mourinho's inevitable flameout, only this time it won't come after a title. He's already been throwing his players under the bus this year and teams have mostly figured out his tactics enough to knick a 1-0 win or a draw enough times to keep Man U from winning the title. I'm hoping Liverpool manages to keep Salah (because holy shit is he amazing), manages to add quality and depth to the midfield, and hope that next season doesn't rely on Liverpool supporters praying to the Gods for Salah's hamstrings (like we did for Torres and Suarez and Sturridge).

AND THEN LOLSPURS who will not challenge for a title because they are Spurs.

Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: May 14, 2018, 12:01:16 PM

We already signed Naby Keita for next season while Emre Can will head to Italy on a free transfer. Its a good thing that  africa cup of nations happens during summer but the big question mark is how much game time players will have during world cup.

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: May 26, 2018, 12:40:44 PM

Sergio Ramos being a grade A cunt. Should probably get into Judo instead. Also should have seen Red.

edit: Stands there and grins right after. He knew exactly what he did at that moment.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 12:50:28 PM by Jeff Kelly »
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: May 26, 2018, 01:40:17 PM

Without Karius it would still be 1:1.

I can’t imagine how he’ll recover from that.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: May 26, 2018, 01:54:00 PM

Salah out of the World Cup, dislocated shoulder. Egypt must be gutted
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: May 26, 2018, 02:09:53 PM

Replay right now. Ramos elbow smashes Loris Karius right on the head in the 49th Minute about a minute before his first mistake. Knocks him right the fuck down.

Edit: https://mobile.twitter.com/danielmack/status/1000484285172895747
https://streamable.com/i60jl

Ref is right there and doesn’t throw him off
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 02:25:24 PM by Jeff Kelly »
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: May 26, 2018, 02:19:27 PM

Sorry for the post storm.
Ronaldo being the always classy twat basically announces his resignation right after the win. With his team mates calling him out on Twitter.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #103 on: May 27, 2018, 12:07:57 AM

Holy shit was that an amazingly horrible fucking game. FUCK SERGIO RAMOS. FUCK HIM SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HARD. That diving, whining piss baby has the gall to complain about niggling fouls on him after the goddamn rugby tackle he does on Salah to take him out of the game. And SUPER FUCK those idiot refs who continually just let shit go for Real Madrid.

And I just read Ronaldo's comments. Fuck that whiny diving twatty little fucking cunt. Was he even playing today?

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: May 27, 2018, 02:17:35 AM

You could see how miffed he was that Bale stole the fucking show with that one in a million bicycle kick
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Soccer thread 2017/2018  
Jump to: