Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:29:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Soccer thread 2017/2018 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Soccer thread 2017/2018  (Read 68642 times)
Shannow
Terracotta Army

on: August 21, 2017, 11:58:19 AM

PSG - WTF?

Are Barcelona done? Can anyone stop Madrid in the CL?

lolarsenal

Go Huddersfield. Weareallterriers

Oh Spurs/Fuck you Alonso.

Man U or Man City, who's the favourite?

etc.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 12:16:09 PM by Shannow »

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 12:07:07 PM

If I had to put a bet down now, it would go on Man U. That lineup is goddamn insanely good, it's year 2 of Mourinho so he's not due to start pissing everyone off until April when the title is well-sealed and if he's in first place with more than 6 points on January 1st, he'll park 7 buses in front of the goal the rest of the stretch. Having one of the world's best keepers in DeGea (and the only reason United didn't drop below 8th in the post-Fergie years) means their defense will be better than the individual defenders in it (though Bailly is a beast). Of course, West Ham and Swansea are both not good teams so this could be premature.

The Neymar saga just gobsmacked me. Why would you leave Barca for PSG other than money? I guess once you've played at Barca, everything else is a step down so why not go for all the Euros?

It does appear though that the atmosphere at Barca is getting a might toxic, almost Real Madrid like only without 2 of the last 3 Champions' League trophies. I only hope that they don't manage to sway Liverpool off their conviction that Coutinho is staying because holy shit, Liverpool needs to be ADDING players, not letting their best player go somewhere else.

Chelsea needs to sort out its fucking soap opera but they will still challenge because that's a good team. Man City will buy 200 million quid worth of defenders and still be shit at the back.

Arsenal. LAUGH OUT LOUD.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 03:12:54 PM

The Neymar saga just gobsmacked me. Why would you leave Barca for PSG other than money? I guess once you've played at Barca, everything else is a step down so why not go for all the Euros?
I don't follow soccer but I'm in the "Neymar wanted his own team (and didn't want to wait for Messi to retire)" camp.
Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 03:18:26 PM

liverpool problem was defense, their big spending was for salah. Better hope for a miracle with joe gomez.
City's problem was kompany having injury problems and josh stones being bad, buying two extremely expensive full backs don't fix it.
Spurs like their ajax defenders, good starting 11 but very thin squad.
Chelsea had a good team, bought the type of players they need.
Manchester united needed a solid defensive midfielder which is exactly what they got with Matic.
Arsenal, wtf!

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 05:07:00 PM

Lets all agree that it's: #lolarsenal

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 08:16:30 PM

Blood, are you kidding me, fam?  why so serious?

Liverpool's defense improves mightily when that wee twat Alberto Moreno isn't playing at left back. Andy Robertson was man of the match, IMO on Saturday against Palace. Unlike Moreno, who tries to provide offense (and fails) and leaves himself unable to defend, Robertson can do both better. Yes, it was Palace, still, he never looked out of position like Moreno who just likes to go walkabout for no good goddamn reason. Don't know what would help their goddamn corners though, other than a new keeper, man-marking and putting someone on either post. Since none of those things will happen, a 4th place finish will be the best we can hope for.

Still don't understand what the fuck Chelsea were thinking selling Matic to United. Yes, let's give Mourinho exactly the type and quality of player he was missing last season.

Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 10:44:51 PM

The defensive pair tends to be up and down, matip and lovren are bit too aggressive defensively and can open themselves up , klavan looked really good last season until he had some games where he looked like an amateur, sakho would be a good combination with matip but that's not going to happen.

Robertson is a far better overall left back, milner had problems going forward and moreno never understood defense. There was a very good reason why Rodgers preferred Joe gomez over moreno in the start of 15/16 season but then came the awful injury. We saw the same thing on the right side, much stronger defense with him instead of alexander-arnold, but not the same offense. Alexander-arnold is still young and it was obvious when hoffenheim scored, he should have protected the goal instead of waving his hand like a sissy and hoping for offside.

The corner problem is partially because we have so many short players, a bunch of 5'9 players like firmino, coutinho, salah, mane, wiynaldum, clyne, moreno, alexander-arnold and milner.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 11:40:03 PM by Gimfain »

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 01:27:49 AM

If I had to put a bet down now, it would go on Man U. That lineup is goddamn insanely good, it's year 2 of Mourinho so he's not due to start pissing everyone off until April when the title is well-sealed and if he's in first place with more than 6 points on January 1st, he'll park 7 buses in front of the goal the rest of the stretch. Having one of the world's best keepers in DeGea (and the only reason United didn't drop below 8th in the post-Fergie years) means their defense will be better than the individual defenders in it (though Bailly is a beast). Of course, West Ham and Swansea are both not good teams so this could be premature.

Nailed it, not looking forward to post January if we do happen to be in pole position, so basking in the warm glow of 8 goals in two games which United fans haven't had in a while. Two bad teams maybe but also two teams that managed to grind out draws last season. Removing Carrick and Rooney has really brought a better sense of urgency to the team, although it's nice to see Rooney doing well in a team with less expectation and bring out his love of the game again. Then you have Matic, who is a big upgrade on Carrick.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 07:48:33 AM

Rooney is still talented, but just his presence last year was a HUGE drag on United. You have to play him, or answer to the press and fans why not, but it's not like he really did much all year to justify taking someone else's position. He'll do fine at Everton where he can be a focal point and even at his age, be a better player than most of his team. Matic is just... 40 fucking million is way too cheap in this market for what he brings to an Prem side. I've become convinced that the holding midfielder role is the most important (and completely underrated) position in England right now. It's no coincidence that the last two champions had N'Golo Kante in their midfield. Matic at ManU would have given them at least 4th place last season, IMO, and I say that as someone who actually thought Carrick was worth having even at his level of play. Still don't understand what Mourinho sees in Fellaini other than a target dummy.

Swansea selling Sigurdson to Everton was just... oof. I can feel comfortable saying that is the move that will ensure their relegation this year. 50 million quid is not going to be enough to replace that guy in a team that has trouble scoring goals. With Mike Ashley's (lack of) help, I think Newcastle is going to flirt with relegation all season and only Rafa's defensive skills are going to keep them up. I haven't seen any of the newly promoted sides play yet but I think at least one of them goes down, with my money being on Brighton. Chris Hughton is a serviceable manager but his ceiling is based on the players he has, and that's likely a Championship level club. I think Huddersfield stays up.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: August 22, 2017, 08:08:42 AM

At times I thought Rooney looked a little disinterested and lacked confidence. But hey he's still one of the best centre forwards around. I wouldn't be surprised as the seasons go on Everton supported will see glimpses of the player that turned up in a United shirt the last few seasons.

Yeh Sigurdson has pretty much kept them out of the Championship for the last few seasons, can't see Swansea holding on without him, they look fairly average. Be interesting to see where Everton finish after their summer spending spree.

Do you think Coutinho will stay? I've no idea at this stage.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #10 on: August 22, 2017, 08:23:32 AM

Reports are this morning that Barca's given up and Coutinho is going to have a meeting with Liverpool officials to make peace soon. I'm going to guess he stays this season and fucks off next season if he's still wanted, a la Suarez.

Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: August 23, 2017, 10:00:07 AM

Todays rumor is that Barca is lining up £138M in a fourth offer for coutinho. I don't see liverpool letting him go regardless of what happens tonight.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #12 on: August 23, 2017, 10:06:37 AM

Unless they completely shit the bed tonight (which I don't see happening), there is no way they let him go this year. They just can't afford it, especially since depth in quality was their big issue last season. That money won't buy them the players they need NOW, much less with yet one more guy to replace.

Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: August 24, 2017, 09:52:40 AM

Champions league draw:
Grupp A: Benfica, Manchester United, Basel, CSKA Moskva
Grupp B: Bayern München, Paris Saint-Germain, Anderlecht, Celtic
Grupp C: Chelsea, Atletico Madrid, Roma, Karabach
Grupp D: Juventus. Barcelona, Olympiakos, Sporting Lissabon
Grupp E: Spartak Moskva, Sevilla, Liverpool, Maribor
Grupp F: Sjaktar Donetsk, Manchester City, Napoli, Feyernoord
Grupp G: AS Monaco. Porto, Besiktas, RB Leipzig
Grupp H: Real Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Tottenham, Apoel

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #14 on: August 24, 2017, 09:57:44 AM

Liverpool lucked out SO HARD. That's an easily winnable group. Man U also got a decent draw. Poor Spurs.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: August 24, 2017, 12:35:43 PM

Man United nearly always draw a Russian team and Basel were a bit of a bogey team under Fergie, hopefully not anymore. Sp Ibra just re-joined us and the squad is starting to look impressive, this is roughly our second string as of right now - Romero, Blind, Smalling, Lindelof, Darmian, Herrera, Carrick, Fellaini, Martial, Lingaard, Ibrahimovic. That's a very strong 11 in it's own right.

No actual easy groups there, I think Bayern and PSG probably have the best of it. United should go through, but going to Russia is always tough and Basel as I said are our bogey team in Europe. Liverpool struggled against Sevilla previously and Spartak are always a potential shock. But I still expect both teams will go through, not without some bumps along the way.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: August 24, 2017, 03:27:26 PM

lol Group H, that's so spursy

Man City, Man U and Chelsea should all advance.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: August 27, 2017, 04:48:59 PM

#lolarsenal

Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: August 27, 2017, 11:59:36 PM

Excellent week for liverpool where they pummeled both hoffenheim and arsenal on anfield. Huge improvement in central midfield with henderson, can and wiynaldum coming together, on the flanks mane and salah is striking terror with good support from the full backs and Firmino.

Wish they would play like this against bottom 6.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #19 on: August 28, 2017, 07:10:36 AM

#lolarsenal

So much this. As good as Liverpool looked (except for Karius, WTF?), Arsenal looked infinitely as bad. There are non-league sides that would have whooped the shit out of Arsenal Sunday. I'm still not sure why Arsne started Welbeck up front over Lacazatte - Welbeck is fine but against a side with defenders like Liverpool's (i.e. ones who are horrible at defending swift defenders), Lacazette would have seemed to be the better choice. I'm not even sure if Arsene isn't just trolling the fans at this point.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: August 30, 2017, 06:40:13 AM

My kids soccer team for the fall has been assigned the name Liverpool.  I've bought the cool glasses, am working on the German accent and instructed the kiddos to always lose to the crappest teams in our division.

Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: September 01, 2017, 01:38:48 AM

Arsenal sold alex oxlade-chamberlain to liverpool, did a crazy attempt on thomas lemar that monaco agreed to but lemar said no, which stopped the sale of alexis sanchez to manchester city, that can leave for free next year. #lolarsenal

Liverpool bought 3 short quick players and sold sakho because they will never concede on a corner kick. Buying andrew robertson and still play alberto moreno as a "defender" shows the defensive genius strategy of Klopp.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #22 on: September 01, 2017, 03:56:03 PM

Yeah, I can't understand why Moreno is still getting minutes.

However, it pales in comparison to the circus that Arsenal has become. Lemar apparently didn't want to go to Arsenal because it was a Europa league team. OUCH. And Sanchez, who chose Arsenal over Liverpool when he came there because he wanted to live in London, now is ready to get the fuck out.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: September 06, 2017, 11:40:43 AM

Jeezus US soccer.

Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: September 07, 2017, 08:23:44 AM

Premier league just voted that the transfer window will end before the first game of premier league next season. They can still sell players to other leagues beyond that point. This would be a lot worse if it hadn't been for the fact that premier league clubs have the greatest purchasing power except for crazy spenders like PSG so the risk of PL clubs losing players to foreign clubs beyond that point is small.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #25 on: September 07, 2017, 09:29:56 AM

I get the feeling this is going to go badly for the PL clubs if for no other reason than the other big leagues in the world don't have this restriction.

Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: September 07, 2017, 10:22:13 AM

Having your full team ready few days in advance instead of having to play 3 games and have an international break will make a huge difference. The only players PL teams will be ready to sell are the ones that are benched during the first three games unless PSG, BFC and RM put up silly money for a starter and there is a decent replacement.

There is no time to waste like spurs, arsenal and liverpool did this summer.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #27 on: September 07, 2017, 01:28:34 PM

There is no time to waste like spurs, arsenal and liverpool did this do every summer.

Fixed that for you.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: September 27, 2017, 06:28:44 PM

And Liverpool are feeling the bumps I mentioned, while Man United play their best ever away game on Russian soil in my living memory.

Lukaku is not pretty, but damn is he effective. This is probably the strongest team we've had since 2008-2009. Just need to get Ronaldo back now  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #29 on: September 28, 2017, 08:20:24 AM

Lukaku is likely the piece that's going to put Man U in the title this year, and make sure that you guys are challenging for the Champions League to at least the semis IMO. He's that good and Chelsea (coached by Mourinho at the time) were fucking idiots to let him get away TWICE.

The differences between Liverpool and ManU right now are 3-fold: 1) Mourinho is a defensive minded coach, which is what is required in the Champions League, while Klopp is all attack all the time; 2) every year Mourinho's been there, they've bought at least one central defender - Bailly and then Lindeloff - both of which started that game in Moscow; 3) they have a dedicated striker with the killer instinct to just fucking score goals (they'll have 2 when Zlatan gets back). #1 is something that isn't really "fixable" - both approaches can work or fall flat depending on the players.

#2 is the biggest deal to me as far as both title aspirations and Champions League - Bailly looks to be raw but with the potential to be world class and even if Lindeloff isn't great, he's what - their 4th central defender (Jones, Smalling, Lindeloff and Bailly) and both Blind and Rojo can do decent duty in central defense in a pinch. Liverpool meanwhile have the good/steady but not great Matip, Lovren who is inconsistent and prone to just WHAT THE FUCK WERE YOU TRYING TO DO THERE moments and after that is a wooden post with less character and marking ability in Klavan and a 20-year old kid coming back off two years worth of knee injuries and still without a firm decision on whether he's a center back, fullback or wingback. I'm not even saying Liverpool should spend 60 million quid on Van Dijk (he isn't worth THAT much) but shit, look at some of the decent English options that got sold to smaller clubs for less. Harry Maguire and Michael Keane were both good, steady options that went to lesser Prem clubs for peanuts.

#3 is just going to cost fuckloads of money, unless they have patience with a kid like Solanke and he develops into the next big thing. Which could happen - it might have happened with Sturridge if his legs weren't made of spun sugar.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: September 28, 2017, 02:13:45 PM

Actually Mourinho isn't as defensive as I thought he would be, he definitely can go into siege mode in the big games but then Fergie used to do the same. I would say he's more pragmatic and plays to the oppositions traits, his use of substitutes is also straight from the Fergie handbook. Impressed with him a lot lately. I actually wanted Klopp at United because he would play exciting football, but now I realise he probably wouldn't have signed any defenders and we'd be left with another makeshift defense. Bailly has been a huge signing for us, but actually our defense is really shored up now with Matic, who is like Carrick Mk II, a better all round player.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #31 on: September 28, 2017, 02:21:42 PM

I don't know why I forgot Matic, he is HUGE (both physically and his presence in a game). He's like a giant Kante with less offensive skill. He's another one I just don't understand - why would Chelsea sell him to United of all places?

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: September 28, 2017, 04:34:32 PM

Yeh I couldn't believe the Matic deal when it was being touted, I've always been a huge admirer, he has all the passing game and reading abilities of Carrick, but on top of that he can dribble, shoot and not afraid to put in a tackle, which puts him a station above him in my esteem. He reminds me a little of Didi Hamann and I'm sure will be equally underrated.

Liverpools defense looks a little fragile at times alright, but actually going forward they appear to be missing a lot of chances too, read an interesting stat earlier that they have the most chances of any top tier teams in Europe but are behind around ten of them in conversion rates. With Liverpool converting 5.55% of their shots and allowing the opposition to convert 24% of theirs. Luckily they have crapton of shots every game. Coutinho will add to that, cause I know he likes a shot. Not having a specialist striker could be a bit of a problem, Firmino being more of a false 9.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #33 on: September 29, 2017, 12:34:35 PM

God, the Liverpool finishing. It's just WASTEFUL. I think they put up like 30+ shots against Burnley and the game finished 1-1. Mo Salah is an absolute nightmare for defenders, but he will easily miss at least 1-3 shots per game. It's entirely possible our defense is so bad because they are so rarely called on to do anything but cycle the ball back into the offense that by the time they do get attacked, they are half asleep. Of course, it may also be that Mignolet is a great shot stopper but utter shit at commanding the box or playing with the ball at his feet. The goals in both the Leicester games and the Sevilla game were mostly from defenders who just weren't prepared to defend when they needed to be, and the free kick that resulted in Spartak's goal was conceded because Can dawdled on the ball in midfield for way too long and someone ended up needed to foul a Spartak player to prevent a shot. Then Karius utterly chokes on a saveable free kick.

Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: October 01, 2017, 10:29:06 AM

More liverpool inefficiency and both central defenders standing on their heels when there is no pressure on the ballholder. Sturridge got his chance to start the game and didn't take it.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Soccer thread 2017/2018  
Jump to: