Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:04:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Marvel's Inhumans 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Marvel's Inhumans  (Read 26589 times)
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: September 22, 2017, 05:44:19 AM

As I understook it, this was a test intended to be a single season thing, unless widely popular.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: September 22, 2017, 04:37:44 PM

As I understook it, this was a test intended to be a single season thing, unless widely popular.

Well it looks like the "complete series" phrase was misunderstood anyway. It was only meant to mean that the IMAX release was the start of the "complete series" to be continued on ABC.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: September 30, 2017, 06:38:50 AM

It seems like that one season thing was mistaken anyways. They say they have plans for three seasons should the show last that long. As Disney forced Marvel to continue Agents of Shield for another season, they may force them to do Inhumans for two more seasons and see if they can fix the problems that are here. I will say that the first two episodes were not as bad as I expected based upon the reviews, but they were pretty darn bad.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #38 on: September 30, 2017, 11:08:40 PM

This show was DIRE. Fucking godawful, SyFy Flash Gordon fuckstupid. Poor decisions at every single turn from story choices to actor choices to direction and cinematography. This was Roger Corman bad.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: September 30, 2017, 11:44:51 PM

Casting sucks with one excption. Effects are mostly insufficient, though Lockjaw was ok. Attilan sets are idiotic. I'll watch the rest to be a completionist,  but outside a faint hope that the rest of the series might be slightly better if not rushed like the Imax ones were... all I can say is that I am shocked Marvel let something this bad go to air.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: October 09, 2017, 09:06:27 PM

It really is a steaming pile.

There are like a thousand flaws with this show, but the one that keeps getting to me is how all the royal family keeps acting surprised when no one or nothing on earth acknowledges their secret nobility from there secret moonbase.  why so serious?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: October 10, 2017, 07:06:09 AM

The third hour was much better, but still amongst the worst TV I've seen in a long while. Frankly, I'm shocked Marvel allowed it to air.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: October 22, 2017, 08:12:37 PM

If I understand the internal Marvel politics right, the Inhumans are the majority shareholders pet project and why they were originally on the movie list or whatever.

Im  guessing shitty TV show is a win as far as the movie branch is concerned.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: October 22, 2017, 10:15:31 PM

If I understand the internal Marvel politics right, the Inhumans are the majority shareholders pet project and why they were originally on the movie list or whatever.

Im  guessing shitty TV show is a win as far as the movie branch is concerned.

it's the "wish we could do X-Men" project which was supposed to come out as a movie but when the movies were taken away from a certain person all he could do was push it as a tv-series instead... (or so the rumour goes)
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: November 10, 2017, 10:03:51 PM

I am completely shocked that they let that crap get to air.  I stuck it out to be a completionist, but it was sooooooooooooooooooooooooo bad.

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: November 11, 2017, 05:38:46 AM

I am completely shocked that they let that crap get to air.  I stuck it out to be a completionist, but it was sooooooooooooooooooooooooo bad.
Same here. I stuck to it since it was only 8 episodes and I was hoping to see some improvement in the story but it turned out to be a total waste of time.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: November 11, 2017, 08:40:37 PM

Finished watching the show this afternoon and the best I can muster is "meh."  It wasn't mind-blowingly horrible but it was even remotely great either.  I honestly wasn't surprised at all when Triton turned out to still be alive and pretty much expected it when they all went to the beach.  And oh, Gorgon's dead so we need another completely badass fighter to take his place.

It felt even more disconnected from the Marvel Universe setting than AoS does, although that preview at the end was pretty sweet looking.  At least it gives me a reason to watch the episodes I have sitting on the DVR to get ready for the season premiere.

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #47 on: November 11, 2017, 09:23:10 PM

I gave it 4 episodes to get better, and it didn't. I didn't feel any desire to slog through to what seemed entirely inevitable "twists".

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: November 12, 2017, 11:22:29 PM

There was no need to watch the last 7 hours. Everything significant that happened in the last 7 hours was easy to predict while watching the very first hour.

I'll be very curious to see what they do with the show now.  Do they hand it over to an entirely different creative group (not that it will solve the problems with the cast, etc...)?  Do they wrap up the story in an episode or two of MAoS?  Do they wait and put any follow-up on their streaming service? 

Thor Spoiler:  
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 10:00:17 AM by jgsugden »

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: November 13, 2017, 05:14:30 PM

There was no need to watch the last 7 hours. Everything significant that happened in the last 7 hours was easy to predict while watching the very first hour.

I'll be very curious to see what they do with the show now.  Do they hand it over to an entirely different creative group (not that it will solve the problems with the cast, etc...)?  Do they wrap up the story in an episode or two of MAoS?  Do they wait and put any follow-up on their streaming service? 

Thor Spoiler:  

The movies thus far have not acknowledged AOS or any of the netflix marvel shows and you think they will do anything for the inhumans? Expect Magneto in the MCU before inhumans is even given lip service.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: November 13, 2017, 06:50:41 PM

Answer: they are going to forget this show ever existed for now. And then the Infinity War thing is going to let them reboot the MCU entirely circa 2020. At that point anything they don't want will never have happened.

I am sure this show is first on the list of "never happened, never heard of it."
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #51 on: November 13, 2017, 11:11:59 PM

Thor Spoiler:  

The movies thus far have not acknowledged AOS or any of the netflix marvel shows and you think they will do anything for the inhumans? Expect Magneto in the MCU before inhumans is even given lip service.

Also doesn't Inhumans exist as a TV series largely because Feige didn't want anything to do with Perlmutter's pet project? Everything that's been hinted at in regards to the behind the scenes schism between the TV and movie sides of the MCU suggests that there is no way in hell Inhumans was going to tie into anything movie related.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: November 14, 2017, 03:48:11 AM

Yeah. What I've seen is basically Perlmutter pushed it, Jeph Loeb signed up to be Perlmutter's flunky on pushing it, and everyone else stepped away and said, "What's that bad smell? I dunno, don't see anything."
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: November 14, 2017, 10:15:36 AM

There is a wall in the Marvel office with plans going ahead 15 to 20 years.  It changes all the time.  However, one of those changes was turning the Inhumans movie into a TV series.  That makes it unique in key ways - it was part of the interwoven MCU plan as a movie, but is now a TV series.  That *could* result in it having different treatment.  This could be the one example where the movie plans were executed in TV and gives rise to impacts from a TV show in the movies.

Could.

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #54 on: November 14, 2017, 11:30:08 AM

Not likely, given that the rating were so bad they are being blamed for Dateline beating 20/20 by a two to one margin. 

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2017/11/13/inhumans-finale-ratings-mcu/

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #55 on: November 14, 2017, 12:16:57 PM

Those numbers are much better than that show deserves. Holy shit, it was bad and I only watched the pilot.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: November 14, 2017, 01:00:10 PM

Have no doubt: This made Iron Fist look amazing. It was horrible. Only diehard completionists watched it. I bet they wish they could take it all back.

But the question to me, given the time frame involved in all their planning, is whether - due to the unique circumstances of this film to tv series show - there will be any ramifications in the MCU. Due to the origin story of the show itself, I could see it, but it would tick me off to see it here when worthing shows are relegated to fan fiction zones.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: November 14, 2017, 04:16:41 PM

In a funny kind of way, it's an affirmation of the entire MCU's plan to date, which is: Marvel superheroes that are translated to screen (or TV) without thoughtful attempts to design them visually *and* make their stories make sense in a pseudo-realistic sense equals total failure. You could almost look at Inhumans as proof of everything that everyone involved in the MCU planning has been preaching as gospel: there but for the grace of Feige go we.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #58 on: November 14, 2017, 04:30:01 PM

There is a wall in the Marvel office with plans going ahead 15 to 20 years.  It changes all the time.  However, one of those changes was turning the Inhumans movie into a TV series.  That makes it unique in key ways - it was part of the interwoven MCU plan as a movie, but is now a TV series.  That *could* result in it having different treatment.  This could be the one example where the movie plans were executed in TV and gives rise to impacts from a TV show in the movies.

Could.

Again, this is a TV show that seemingly only exists because Feige no longer had to report to Perlmutter and thus was no longer being pushed into doing an Inhumans movie. This wasn't a show that was going to signal a new unity between the TV and movie sides of the MCU, it signaled that there was now a firm division between the two sides even on a business level.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #59 on: January 08, 2018, 04:54:30 PM

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #60 on: January 08, 2018, 06:41:09 PM

I actually think the Marvel execs knew how shitty the show was and shitcanned it on GP.

Also, yes, now they have X-Men they can totally have mutants.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #61 on: January 08, 2018, 08:24:42 PM

There was no way that show was getting another season regardless of the Fox buyout.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #62 on: January 08, 2018, 08:32:26 PM

It actually had higher rating that SHIELD. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #63 on: January 08, 2018, 09:56:30 PM

The average with DVR factored in seems to be slightly higher for SHIELD and that's with a much bigger marketing push for Inhumans.

Also IMAX helped finance Inhumans, apparently paying for the first two episodes and funding some of the marketing. I'm pretty sure given the results they were not going to be coming back to work with Disney on a a second season.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: January 09, 2018, 01:21:38 AM

If we cast our collective minds back to SHIELD Season One, we remember how truly awfully terrible it was and how it pretty much took some solid work (and tits) from the cast to get it to the barely workable state that it finds itself in now.

That said, Inhumans was never going to grab anyone and then they screwed it so bad Sugden didn't like it soooooo....

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: January 09, 2018, 07:40:57 AM

They're pretty much trying to wind down the Inhumans in the comics too, though it's slower because they built them up so much--and they suddenly paid attention to the dumpster fire that was the X-Men. Plus also they're getting ready to finally reform the Fantastic Four. I would guess that they'll do something to have Reed, Sue, Franklin and Valeria 'forget' about being gods and creating universes.

Probably they'll undo the heroic Doctor Doom as well, which is kind of too bad--that's been one of the few Marvel books I've enjoyed through the Secret Empire festival of crap.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #66 on: January 09, 2018, 08:32:08 AM

The Infamous Iron Man stuff with Doctor Doom as Iron Man is really good, despite being more Brian Michael Bendis wank. I've just started reading the post Inhumans vs. X-Men stuff in the X-men and it's... odd. It's a slight improvement over the X-Men in Limbo shit (which was universally fucking awful) but it still just feels like it's entire aim is mimicking the entire Chris Claremont run including all the same themes just with new villains and the same characters in new roles. It feels like Norman Osborn parading around in his mother's dress talking in her voice.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: January 09, 2018, 08:39:06 AM

I remember when people were saying, "No, the X-Men are just being written poorly, it's not a corporate policy to punish Fox". But you know, you could see clearly that the moment Marvel thought they might be getting the rights back, they started winding down the idea of the Inhumans-as-substitute-mutants and they started trying to think about how to get the X-Men back to some kind of basics, hard as that is given how insanely messy their entire sub-mythos has been for decades.

I'm looking forward to the Deadpool movie just mercilessly laughing at Cable's incomprehensible backstory.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: January 09, 2018, 08:53:22 AM

It's time travel and alternate universes.  The more incomprehensible, the better.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: January 09, 2018, 11:40:27 AM

They should have Cable do a bit like the Joker in The Dark Knight--every time he meets a new person, he starts telling a different version of his incomprehensible backstory in the same breathless way that the Comic Book Store Guy would do it.

"I was born during a mutant plague to a demon mutant pretending to be a woman who looked just like a dead woman telepath who was married to an amnesiac mutant member of the X-Men and my grandfather is a space pirate who was kidnapped by bird aliens who have a gem that can destroy the universe who have a mohawk Superman and then I was sent into an alternate future and trained to fight Apocalypse only I was cloned and given an evil twin and then people gave me guns bigger than my whole body and I was sent into the past and somebody drew me without feet and with an anatomically impossible chest and then I took another mutant who was kind of a clone of my dead not-mother into the future after I met a not-sister from another alternative timeline and trained mutant assassins and"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Marvel's Inhumans  
Jump to: