Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:03:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Apple Pay, Android Pay, Samsung Pay 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Apple Pay, Android Pay, Samsung Pay  (Read 9508 times)
slog
Terracotta Army

on: June 08, 2017, 11:12:21 AM

Hi,

In the last month, have you used Apple Pay, Android Pay, Samsung Pay for a purchase?  I

I'm curious about the adoption of these mobile payment services.  I've tried using Samsung pay twice, the first time it didn't work, the second it took three tries so I said "screw it" and just use my credit card because I just know it will work each time I use it.

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 12:56:17 PM

Droid pay works great for me.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 02:46:46 PM

I use Apple Pay wherever it's available. Seems to work fine, but obviously not available everywhere. (It's faster than waiting for the chip card to read and process)

You'd probably have more success with Android Pay (though maybe Samsung Pay is a rebrand of that?), though I'm not sure I've seen many signs for it where I've been able to use Apple Pay.

- Viin
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 03:29:49 PM

The only place that Apple Pay hasn't worked for me where it is accepted is Subway where for some reason when I try to use my linked Discover card with it, it fails. The card itself works.

I use it pretty much any place I plan on paying by credit card that accepts it now. I don't have my debit card linked to it since I only ever use that at the grocery store.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 08:08:54 PM

I am actually looking for a good Pay App for my Droid phone.

Apple definitely has a leg up over Android on this one, as Apple Pay is pretty much your only option on an apple device.

Meanwhile, Android has about 200 different apps, half of which only work for specific banks, so if I have a Debit Card for one bank, and a Credit card from another, I seem to be forced to use 2 separate apps if i want to use them on my phone.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 10:48:26 PM

I haven't actually tried any phone-pay (I only have two cards, which work just about everywhere), but can't you connect any arbitrary card to Google Wallet, and then link that to Android Pay?

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
schild
Administrator

Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 11:08:34 PM

I legit dont see a purpose in pay apps. Im all about shaving time off mundane horseshit but this is a bridge too far.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: June 09, 2017, 12:01:51 AM

I legit dont see a purpose in pay apps. Im all about shaving time off mundane horseshit but this is a bridge too far.

At least with Apple Pay, it is actually better from a security standpoint since every transaction has a unique token so if one merchant gets compromised the account number gained is useless.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #8 on: June 09, 2017, 12:02:28 AM

I've got Samsung Pay or Android Pay set up (can't remember which) and used it once, in case I am ever caught with just a phone. It worked fine. But if you carry a wallet or at least one card, the phone is a step less useful as you have to unlock it before you can use it (even if that's just a fingerprint).

If I used a small phone, as some people prefer to do, I would probably consider using this to further downsize what I carry. But I like having a large phone and it's not as convenient to wield that instead of a card.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #9 on: June 09, 2017, 07:45:56 AM

I'm also in this camp. Between the times I've seen people holding up lines trying to use it and the potential security problems with storing the info on a device that is often publicly accessible, I just would rather use the old method. It's like that for almost everything for me. I print my boarding passes at the airport so I'm ready to hand it and not fumbling with my phone that *just* went to sleep as I show it to the gate agent.

Fwiw, once we got out from under our cc debt, we switched to using cash for just about everything except Amazon/online purchases.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #10 on: June 09, 2017, 10:17:50 AM

The single advantage I see to pay apps is the, "unique code per transaction," feature. However, even after having someone skim my CC# in Florida back in April I still think it's a bigger pain in the ass than it's worth.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #11 on: June 09, 2017, 10:27:40 AM

I use android pay sometimes. Saves me from having to dig out my card and insert it into the machine and wait a few moments then punch in my pin. Not a main go-to activity, but I'll do it if I have the option and have my phone out already.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: June 09, 2017, 10:52:59 AM

+1

I'm far more likely to lose my phone than my wallet since it's out of my pocket more often, so the added security seems to be a wash at best.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: June 09, 2017, 11:48:49 AM

I came to the same conclusion the last time I tried to use Samsung pay. I had a couple of transactions that didn't go smoothly at the store, decided that it was "not ready for primetime" and never used it again.

However, Samsung started some new rewards program with free stuff, so I started the thread to see where the country is at. 

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: June 09, 2017, 12:12:00 PM

The couple of times I've used Droid pay, it's worked awesome. Way faster than using a card, especially if you have to use the fucking chip reader. (Why is that so goddamned slow?) Dunno where Samsung and Apple are on that stuff though.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #15 on: June 09, 2017, 01:51:47 PM

(Why is that so goddamned slow?)

My working theory is it's a combination of small decisions.
1) Stores cheap-out on Wi-Fi and Bandwidth in general. "We sell physical products, no need for a fat pipe."

2) Manufacturers don't stick high-end processors in card readers or registers. Slow's ok, it's not doing heavy number crunching.

3) Stores don't reboot sales kiosks, ever. That requires technical expertise your average line jockey doesn't have AND the damn things take forever to reboot (see #2).

4) The chip process takes more time at Visa than the old "just make sure there's cash." It does 2-3 round-trip communications IIRC.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: June 09, 2017, 03:45:56 PM

The reason the chip process is so slow is that until the card is inserted into the reader and you have gotten to the actual payment processing step, the cryptographic handshake/tokenization between the merchant and the payment processor doesn't start. That process takes 5-10 seconds.

No matter where in the world you go, that process takes about the same amount of time. The issue in the US is that because they stupidly decided to go chip+sig instead of chip+PIN the time people use to enter the PIN that usually masks at least some of the time of the communication in other countries is not there.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #17 on: June 09, 2017, 04:52:07 PM

In Australia our chip and pin cards can be tapped on the reader rather than inserted. They don't require a pin to be entered for transactions under A$100 (it skips the pin entry and just goes ahead and processes the transaction when you tap).

This saves a lot of time when just picking up some groceries, and makes me less likely to use another method. Of course, you really don't want to lose your card, but it's only small transactions so nobody really worries too much.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #18 on: June 09, 2017, 05:13:34 PM

Those are RFID chips though, yes? The US EMV chips are near-field and require being within a MM or so to be read.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: June 10, 2017, 03:05:12 AM

In Australia our chip and pin cards can be tapped on the reader rather than inserted. They don't require a pin to be entered for transactions under A$100 (it skips the pin entry and just goes ahead and processes the transaction when you tap).

Outside the US most rich country debit/credit cards have this - the tech isn't materially different to phone pay systems. And it is the main reason you don't see much use of Apple/google pay in europe.

I suspect the reason for contactless card payments not taking off quickly in the US is  that retail banking is more fragmented and varies more by state - so retail banking innovation tends to lag other  countries.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #20 on: June 12, 2017, 06:12:55 AM

My square set up has the ability to do apple pay, I've had all of 2 customers ever try to use it. Neither went well.  "It never works for me in starbucks either" was one's comment, the other just took forever to process. Chip+sig goes pretty fast even where it's only 2G, 4G/LTE is almost instant..
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #21 on: June 12, 2017, 07:06:14 AM

As a total aside, Rattran, what do you do in places there's zero signal? Ohio's Ren fair grounds has such an unreliable signal I've missed texts in previous years; I can't imagine trying to run a booth. Most of the folks I've bought stuff from do cash or carbon copy receipts.

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #22 on: June 12, 2017, 07:14:07 AM

There's only 2 shows I deal with with no signal for any carrier. I have AT&T, we have verizon and sprint prepaid phones. One of the 3 pretty much works everywhere. Except Atlanta, and upstate NY, where we get dsl and set up wifi. Better to pay ~$400 for 2 months of dsl than not take credit.

The Dayton/Harveysburg fair in Ohio has the ability for phone lines, I had one when I did the show 20+ years ago for my old card swipe, so should have some sort of available dsl/wifi. Dunno about the Great Lakes fair there.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #23 on: June 12, 2017, 07:16:33 AM

The thing that got me to install Apple Pay was the fact that I don't like carrying my wallet to the gym, but I like being able to stop at the grocery store on the way home.  I used to handle this by carrying a small wad of cash in my pocket along with my phone, which is suboptimal because I have to remember to refresh the cash wad and I have to deal with coin change after the purchase.  (For some reason I feel weird about carrying just a card in my pocket, maybe because it's easy to lose something so light, and I'd rather lose a $20 than have to deal with losing a card.)  When I noticed that the store had added Apple Pay support, I decided to give that a whirl so I could just pay with the phone I have on me anyway.

Now I use it almost everywhere it's available.  The added security layer is nice, but really what I love about it is the physical efficiency.  Pulling the wallet out of my pocket and pulling the card out of the wallet and using the card and putting the card back and putting the wallet back requires two hands and at least ten seconds; pulling the phone out of my pocket and tapping the gizmo while thumbing the phone and putting the phone back takes one hand and about five seconds.  If I'm trying to gather up groceries, or get out of a cab, or anything else that I'm often trying to do immediately after a purchase, not having to fumble with my wallet is delightful.

Rattran's experience with Square matches mine at the restaurants I've tried to use it at.  I still try to use it every time (even though it only works about half the time) because the time savings when it does work makes up for the wasted time when it doesn't, and because I figure if I keep using it Square's customers will put more pressure on them to improve it.

I'm eagerly waiting for the Clipper card (the bus pass thing we use in they Bay Area) to come out with an iOS app that works similarly so I could "tag on" to a bus without having to pull my wallet out of my pocket.

(edit) Oh, the other nice thing about Apple Pay: being able to make purchases on my phone without having to enter credit card info for each app.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 07:19:39 AM by Samwise »

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #24 on: June 12, 2017, 12:13:32 PM

I use Apple pay almost daily. (Surprise, surprise.)

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #25 on: June 12, 2017, 04:25:27 PM

Android Pay got me into a toilet in a mall in Koblenz.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #26 on: June 13, 2017, 06:46:23 AM

We use Chip & Pin almost exclusively up here. Now with Tap though, I haven't even seen the point in a phone app. If its under the $50 limit I put on mine, I just have to wait for the handshake to complete on the machine and tap it with the card for 1 second. Works great so long as you wait for the machine to be ready - typically 5 seconds maybe?

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: June 13, 2017, 07:13:03 PM

Apple Pay isn't a phone app really though. It pops up on the lock screen when near the reader with your default card and if you want to use that one you just use the fingerprint reader and it is done.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Apple Pay, Android Pay, Samsung Pay  
Jump to: