Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:21:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Ashes of Creation 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ashes of Creation  (Read 16218 times)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

on: May 26, 2017, 01:30:07 PM

"Ashes of Creation is a new MMORPG that aims to bring the Massive back to Massively Multiplayer. It takes everything we love about the genre and brings it boldly into the future as a truly next generation title."

New MMORPG being kickstarted. Campaign still going on, 750k asked, 2.5m raised so far. "Veterans of the industry" blah blah. A lot of good ideas on paper which I can't bring myself to list right now. Anyway, cities and hubs are player created, and then you become a citizen, and then you can vote for stuff. Caravans, NO fast travel, absolutely no pay2win, meaningful PvP, read it all for yourself. The ambition is high with this one.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1791529601/ashes-of-creation-new-mmorpg-by-intrepid-studios

And here's a video that says and shows a lot of it.

schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 04:31:55 PM

no one should give money to mmogs on kickstarter

period
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 05:14:11 PM

I agree 100%.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 06:57:26 PM

period

This times infinity. The fuck do they think $2 million is going to do for an MMOG?

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 07:31:48 PM

period
Especially one run by somebody whose background is MLMs and real estate. He's also the Creative Director, just because. Also the Lead Designer is a former EverQuest II QA person.

Wershlak
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 07:35:17 PM

171 people have given $1000. Why do I bother to go to work when there are so many suckers out there.
schild
Administrator

Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 09:28:04 PM

period
Especially one run by somebody whose background is MLMs and real estate. He's also the Creative Director, just because. Also the Lead Designer is a former EverQuest II QA person.

while funny research is unnecessary

if mmog, don't give money for development

it's that easy
Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 27, 2017, 12:42:35 AM

Heard the same kind of promises from devs with far better funding.

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #8 on: May 27, 2017, 01:19:07 AM

Trebuchet, I'm in for 10k.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 27, 2017, 12:42:28 PM

But hey, they have SEASONS.

EDIT:

Anyway, according to some article, the owner of the company Steven Sharif is indeed an ex-pyramid scheme practicioner who claims to have enough money to completely fund the project and so the Kickstarter is only to gather attention. But wait there's more, if the game doesn't launch he claims that he'll refund every kickstarter backer out of his own deep pockets.

I mean,  why so serious? haha, wow, what?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 12:45:52 PM by Falconeer »

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #10 on: May 27, 2017, 01:06:43 PM

Seems legit. Look at those pixels.  why so serious?

The alpha footage does look good, but yeah, I'm not giving this fucker my money. I don't care whose company is at steak.

Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: May 28, 2017, 12:55:44 AM

Pcgamer wrote an article about it. Steven sharif's response was that the writer has an agenda against them and started calling it clickbait.

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: June 02, 2017, 07:57:47 PM

Pcgamer wrote an article about it. Steven sharif's response was that the writer has an agenda against them and started calling it clickbait.

Seems the author of the PC Gamer article (it was updated today) was entirely correct and Sharif did violate KS rules but KS is going to look the other way, probably because they get a cut of the $3+ million raised.  Totally legit game.  Nothing to worry about. Ohhhhh, I see.
Torinak
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: June 02, 2017, 08:50:04 PM

The part about violating Kickstarter terms involves the project's multi-level marketing referral program where you get a cut of money spent by people who use your referral code.

The cut can be for game credits or for actual out-of-game cash. You don't even have to play the game, just get people to use your referral code.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: June 03, 2017, 03:39:28 PM

The part about violating Kickstarter terms involves the project's multi-level marketing referral program where you get a cut of money spent by people who use your referral code.

The cut can be for game credits or for actual out-of-game cash. You don't even have to play the game, just get people to use your referral code.

What I read was described as a "reverse pyramid."

Basically, you recruit 3 people. You get, say $3. They recruit 3 people. Now you only get $.50 because your money now goes to them or something. It's really bizarre.

The company still gets all the cash though.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Torinak
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: June 03, 2017, 04:27:39 PM

Maybe the intent is to recruit people who can spear-fish whales for the game--those recruiters would do very very well. Or maybe to get celebrity endorsements who think their referrals won't bother referring anyone else.

I'll defer any discussion about the wisdom of such an approach to the guy who got rich selling miracle cancer-curing juice.
Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: June 03, 2017, 04:33:14 PM

You won't get any money until the game is fully released so good luck on ever getting any money.

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: June 23, 2017, 09:52:42 AM

A pyramid is a pyramid, regardless of it's orientation, right ?

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: June 25, 2017, 03:11:50 PM

Pretty much. "Reverse Pyramid" is just another set of jargon to avoid fraud claims. The only thing that matters  however is that you get SOMETHING from the purchases of your downline. That makes it a multi-level marketing scheme.

Run from this kickstarter as fast as your digital legs can carry you.

Hic sunt dracones.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Ashes of Creation  
Jump to: