Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 20, 2017, 10:29:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
Donate! | Subscribe! | Shop: Amazon

***DONATION DRIVE 2 HAS BEGUN:
CLICK HERE TO BURN MONEY***
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  PC/Console Gaming  |  Topic: Dead Cells 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dead Cells  (Read 345 times)
Druzil
Terracotta Army

on: May 22, 2017, 12:56:06 PM

Dead Cells - Currently $16 on Steam Early Access
http://store.steampowered.com/app/588650/Dead_Cells/

Dead Cells is a 2D action-platformer / rogue-lite, currently in early access.  Much in the same vein as Rogue Legacy the game is run based with persistent upgrades that make your future runs easier allowing you to make it deeper into the castle.  The map, weapons and even doors are reminiscent of some of the 2D Castlevania games.  The game has a pixel art style with some bloom effects that really make it look great.

One of my favorite parts of the game is the combat and the feel of the game.  There are a variety of movement skills such as double jump, ground smash, ledge grabs and a dodge roll.  There's also a variety of weapons and styles to play around with.  You can use a short ranged daggers with high combo damage or a long range whip with lower damage along with various traps, spells, bows and shields.  The enemies will charge at you forcing you to block or will employ various kinds of shields requiring you to dodge behind them or stun them.

The game also incorporates some Souls games elements.  Killing enemies causes them to occasionally drop 'cells' (souls) that you collect through your run and are used as the permanent upgrade currency.  However to spend them you have to survive to the next area.  Occasionally you will run across other other powers that will enable different routes or shortcuts through the castle.  There's also a gem like currency used for opening treasure doors and spending at Spelunky-like shops.

One knock against the game is that currently reuses many of the same enemies as you progress through the areas.  It does introduce some new ones as well, but the old ones seem to stick around.  Also although there is a Rogue Legacy style upgrade tree, it doesn't look nearly as big or have as much variety.  Hopefully their goal for getting out of early access is to just increase the variety across the board.  More enemies, more weapons, more upgrades.

These are just my initial impressions but I like the game quite a bit so far.  That said, I'm only about 2-3 hours in.  Whether or not there's enough game for the full price at the moment, I'm not sure yet.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 06:05:04 PM

I picked this up and it's really good. Controls are tight, looks great, interesting approach. The procedural generation stuff however has the usual issues where everything is pretty samey even if it is randomly generated.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 12:11:54 AM

New Update. Longer play has revealed to me that this game doesn't give you enough shit to unlock straight off which is annoying because you need to unlock a bare minimum amount of stuff before you can THEN unlock starting with random ranged/melee/shields, which lets you guarantee that upgrading the damage/effectiveness of your weapons and skills is effective right off.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 09:04:49 AM

I've put quite a bit of time into this now and it remains excellent.  The last update added a bunch of new enemies, which the game needed.   Also there are quite a few more unlocks than I expected.  The spear in particular is quite fun and the new broadsword and torch are VERY good.   Shields were buffed to try to prevent enemies from cheaply  chaining you to death, but I think they are still way to weak and the fix didn't really work.  There are still a few enemies that can chain you into a frustrating death.

I haven't beat the final boss yet, he's pretty tough, and the enemies in the final levels can wreck you quick.  I'm still enjoying doing runs and trying different weapon combos.  Hopefully they keep adding stuff because if they can get content variety in a good spot the game play will carry this game.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  PC/Console Gaming  |  Topic: Dead Cells  
Jump to: