Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 25, 2018, 03:45:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
Donate! | Subscribe! | Shop: Amazon

***DONATION DRIVE 2 HAS BEGUN:
CLICK HERE TO BURN MONEY***
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Thor: Ragnarok 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thor: Ragnarok  (Read 6743 times)
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #140 on: February 09, 2018, 03:27:07 PM

They kind of covered that, in the sense that Asgard was built over the "neutron star balanced in an Einstein-Rosen Bridge" wormhole, the other end of which was the Devil's Anus. And this was the source of power for the "godlike" abilities of the High Asgardians like Thor and Hella.

--Dave

I'm okay with "godlike." They were talking themselves up as actual gods. "You are the god of lightning, not the hammer."

But I won't belabor the point -- it's minor to most people's enjoyment of the series I imagine, and also in my own head I take the entire movie as something Thor drunkenly related in a tavern somewhere (after they escape from whatever that was at the end -- and yes I think I know), so okay he kinda inflated everything a bit.

As a side-note, saying my powers come from The Devil's Anus -- yeah I'd probably just claim to be a god too and skip that part.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #141 on: February 12, 2018, 06:53:29 PM

So your saying Thor isn't a god, he is just full of shit?  why so serious?

"The devil...the prowde spirite...cannot endure to be mocked. - Thomas Moore
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #142 on: February 13, 2018, 02:45:16 AM

No, he's not clergy.

Paelos: Somebody find that post where I declared Seattle dead, because those fuckers are NFL cockroaches in the NFC.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: February 13, 2018, 05:03:05 PM

God is just a label. 

In the MCU, magic is a different form of technology.  They make that clear in Thor and Dr. Strange.  Being a God basically means you have technology that is embedded into you.  Hulk might start calling himself a God. 

What can you tell me about gaming and fun in Charlotte, NC?
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: February 13, 2018, 07:17:54 PM

Though note how much of what's going on in the MCU involves McGuffins that are NOT inside of beings, but are instead objects of power.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #145 on: February 13, 2018, 08:18:56 PM

Though note how much of what's going on in the MCU involves McGuffins that are NOT inside of beings, but are instead objects of power.
And we have lampshading of objects that are both (Jane Foster and the Aether, Vision and the Mind Infinity Stone).

--Dave

--Jello Biafra: "If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve."
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: February 14, 2018, 02:52:36 PM

Yeah - and someone might call themselves a God when they possess those items (whether attached to them, worn, carried or applied rectally).  It is just a label.  Thus my hedging with the word "basically". 

Labels do not mean much of anything. 

If I were to start a discussion of Gods, it would begin with the idea of worshippers.  As there is no real discussion of Worshippers of these Asgardians, I think the God label is odd, but the comics never really spend too much time on Thor's worshippers.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: February 14, 2018, 04:13:55 PM

It's silly to label anything in the MCU as science, since their idea of science obeys basically zero laws of physics.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: February 14, 2018, 04:22:24 PM

There is an actual pantheon. Their just heavily tied to the idea of being super powered primordial beings with the power of cosmic which is basically magic for the syfy aspect of the Marvel Universe. Power Cosmic allows guys like Adam Warlock and Silver Surfer to be viable characters in a universe were galactic spanning empires spam spaceships capable of destroying life on earth in 24 hours. Which is the same power of the physical gods of the marvel universe such as the Celestial, the Watchers, etc.

Guys like Doctor Strange manipulate the power cosmic to do magic but its more of a gateway to the power that flows between dimensions as oppose to say how Odin uses it, who has the potential to melt a planet and generally wields it with the force of a hammer to break or build. They (the marvel pantheon) are god's but they're not GODS and they are definitely unique to the way marvel doesn't really like talking about magic but too lazy to not call it magic and treat several aspects of their actual science like magic. DC has a much better distinction and most of their magic.y stuff is defined as being separate from their space opera stuff and other genres with very few cross overs.

If bored and want something to read click here -> http://memiorsofatroll.wordpress.com/
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Prevent all damage that would be dealt to you and other troops you control.

Reply #149 on: February 14, 2018, 04:54:19 PM

There have been a number of times in the comics where Thor in particular has been shown to lead humans who worship him as a God, he calls himself a God and such.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: February 14, 2018, 07:47:53 PM

I am the .00000001428%
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #151 on: February 15, 2018, 09:07:21 AM

There have been a number of times in the comics where Thor in particular has been shown to lead humans who worship him as a God, he calls himself a God and such.
Yes - the comics don't spend too much time on the idea of him having worshippers, but they have gone there on occasion (most of the stories with worshippers Ihave seen are set in other time periods, even).  My point is that the "Church of Thor" is not something that drives Thor comics on a regular basis the same way that Jane Foster, the Warriors Three, Donald Blake, or any of the other commonly appearing elements resurface as an integral part of the Thor story for prolonged periods.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: February 15, 2018, 09:38:34 AM

The way i always saw it was that Thor is the god of lightning because of his lightning powers, he doesn't have lightning powers because he is the god of lightning.

I am the .00000001428%
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #153 on: February 15, 2018, 01:50:08 PM

Which is why I try to always say "in the MCU." The comic canon is more often than not not MCU canon, thank Feige. Hell, in the original comics Thor was some sort of astral being that aggressively possessed some poor crippled human, robbing him of years of life and memory.

I've always been happy with the MCU's presentation of magic as just super high technology from aliens that understand how to manipulate multidimensional power sources that we can barely conceive of. My observation after Thor:Ragnarok is that Waititi came damn close to presenting the high ranking Asgardians as more metaphysical gods -- creatures who believe their power gives them actual rightful dominion over the elements and that which relates to said elements.

I admit that presenting themselves that way would be quite the effective tool to keep control of the "lesser developed" inhabitants of the Nine Realms, which may have been just what Waititi intended since he was presenting the Asgardians as having a history of violent conquest that they had grown away from. So Odin chastening Loki in Avengers was to remind him that they had socially evolved away from such methods, but then in his dotage Odin reverted to the old times in his head, rambling on about the condition of godhood to his impressionable son.

And of course Hela has been pinned up since those violent old days, and has never even had the chance to progress from the old Dominionist bullshit of the early days of Asgard.

Sure, I can buy that.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Thor: Ragnarok  
Jump to: