Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:22:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Thor: Ragnarok 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thor: Ragnarok  (Read 48111 times)
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: July 22, 2017, 11:20:59 PM

And now I want to play Nethack.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #36 on: July 22, 2017, 11:54:22 PM

Oh...

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!@!!!!!!!

Loving the oversaturated color palettes they are using for the Marvel Cosmic stuff.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: July 23, 2017, 10:40:03 PM

My wife brought this to my attention but if they don't play some version of ride of the valkyries when they are assaulting Helya on pegusi, I will be extremely disappointed.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: October 26, 2017, 04:30:37 PM

"It's my birthday!"

Cracked me up

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: October 26, 2017, 04:41:26 PM

Overall: More fun than pretty much everything else since the first GotG, and far better than Thor 2, but still a ways from Marvel's best.

The Good:

The film is funny in a bunch of different ways. It's not as painfully childish as GotG2 (although it skirts real close at times). Chris Hemsworth clearly loves playing Thor and brings a lot of life to the character. Tessa Thompson is great and plays a slightly different type of character to what we've seen before. Tom Hiddleston is great as ever and does one of his best turns as Loki. Jeff Goldblum does an amusing turn as the Grandmaster and I wasn't sure if I wanted more of him or got just enough. A lot of the bit characters (like the Kiwi rock monster) are lovable and well drawn.

The Bad:

Cate Blanchett's character is completely one-dimensional. She's bad because she's bad and she does bad things. She's the least compelling bad guy in the film. Karl Urban is chronically underused in his role; he's a far better actor than what he got here. I can't even remember his character's name which is worrying since he got a pretty serious amount of screentime. The combat is (mostly) terrible; everything is CGI'd to the max and feels utterly insubstantial and weightless.

The OK:

Mark Ruffalo puts in the work as Hulk, but the way they take his character just felt a bit off. Seemed like a misstep.

ALSO:

Don't bother sticking around for the end-of-credits short; it's dull and irrelevant beyond belief. Save yourself 6 minutes or whatever and just go home.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #40 on: October 26, 2017, 05:38:01 PM

The character Cate Blanchett plays in the comics literally IS one-dimensional. She's more a primal force than an actual character.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: October 26, 2017, 06:52:03 PM

I want to object to that but I can't, it's pretty much right.

Gods and goddesses of death, I don't really see why they're always the bad guys. I just read a fantastic fantasy novel about Koschei the Deathless, a "life god", where he's arguably as sinister as the god of death. There was a fantastic Marvel "cosmic" story a while back where the universe where death has been defeated opens up onto the regular 616 universe and it's a complete nightmare--life is a cancerous, Cthulhu-ish plague that rots and infests everything.

It's a reason I hate Thanos, really: "In love with Death" is a fucking lame motivation for a cosmic bad guy who supposedly understands a lot about the way the universe works. It's fine as a motivation for a nasty little serial killer, maybe, but not a star-spanning monster.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: October 27, 2017, 12:23:29 PM

Wait, this is out?

I am the .00000001428%
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: October 27, 2017, 12:43:00 PM

Yes.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #44 on: October 27, 2017, 01:09:49 PM

Wait, this is out?

Marvel has decided for a few years now that Europe gets first dibs. It's out in the US next week.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: October 27, 2017, 01:15:40 PM

Someone here (Jeff, I think?) noted that releasing in Europe first was to increase excitement to see it in the US.  I forget the exact mechanics he was explaining.

https://www.cinemablend.com/new/Why-Marvel-Opens-Its-Superhero-Movies-Overseas-First-71409.html

Apparently it's based around European holiday targeting, and also a way to generate more excitement in the US due to word of mouth from European watchers.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: October 27, 2017, 02:38:02 PM

I will be attending with family tomorrow.  However, I usually refrain from posting before St Sugden can pitch in.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #47 on: October 27, 2017, 06:43:50 PM

I will be attending with family tomorrow.  However, I usually refrain from posting before St Sugden can pitch in.

I demand you contribute to my hype ASAP.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: October 28, 2017, 01:08:22 AM

It's Thor and Loki.  I may just drown in the theatre.  They're rather liked in the Scottish Female Community.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: October 28, 2017, 08:49:49 AM

It's Thor and Loki.  I may just drown in the theatre.  They're rather liked in the Scottish Female Community.

The thought of a mob of scottish women frothily piling onto chris hemsworth is terrifying.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: October 28, 2017, 10:03:03 AM

That was weird.

Like, I don't even know what to say.  That was a weird film.

Two things :

1 - Ruffalo was fucking awful.  He played Mark Ruffalo in this film.  It was a truly terrible performance.
2 - There were 4 women to every guy in that theatre.  I know I made the joke, but the reality was strangely bigger than my joke.  Not that they were disappointed;  Beefcake was very, very, very much in evidence.

That was weird.

I enjoyed it, so by all means go see it.  But it made GotG 1 and 2 look positively normal.

Weird.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #51 on: October 28, 2017, 12:07:46 PM

I enjoyed it, so by all means go see it.  But it made GotG 1 and 2 look positively normal.

If this plays out, it'll be my favorite film.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: October 28, 2017, 01:38:39 PM

I think that'll be true for a LOT of people.  It's certainly not the Thor you're used to, which I'm given to understand is a big draw for some.

Still not sure about what I think tho.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: October 30, 2017, 01:12:52 AM

It  is getting decent reviews based on the director managing to subvert the forumla a bit. But I've heard that a lot ahead of marvel films. 

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: October 30, 2017, 04:44:12 AM

I cannot understate how massively entertaining it is.  And how genuinely funny it is.  The Director has been clear 'This is a comedy' and he's not wrong.

But it's weird.

Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: October 30, 2017, 11:47:41 AM

Did you mean overstate?

Or is this some weird Scottish idiom I'm not familiar with.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: October 30, 2017, 12:18:04 PM

He just has to be very accurate about his stating - not over, not under, but just right.  Like the baby bear.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: October 30, 2017, 01:00:03 PM

The mum in that story always gets fucked with cold porridge.  I've never really understood that.

But yes, it's a fun film.  Bear in mind when reading any of my posts that even though I don't drink anymore, it's still leaving my system after decades, so....

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: October 30, 2017, 03:01:34 PM

... and she is married to a bear that won't share a bed with her and is quite clear that he likes it hot and hard.  Move on, girlfriend. Being furry doesn't mean you have to be a beard.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: November 02, 2017, 09:16:06 AM

Saw this in Imax and it was very good. I would say the action is sufficient to warrant a big, big screen. I'm not quite sure if this is setting up a Cosmic MCU side thing but this one definitely moved things away from previous films. It really wasn't what I was expecting either but if you enjoyed GotG at all, you'll really like this.

Oh and to add: I think this had the best climactic battle of any Marvel movie so far.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 09:39:36 AM by NowhereMan »

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: November 03, 2017, 08:09:18 AM

This was great and funny, I didn't have any problems with Mark Ruffalos very limited appearance. Great cameos.

I am the .00000001428%
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #61 on: November 03, 2017, 05:59:39 PM

That was weird.

Like, I don't even know what to say.  That was a weird film.

Gloriously so. It may not be as watchable on multiple viewings but it was worth the time. I had a blast and yes, it was weird.

SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: November 04, 2017, 03:31:08 AM

Loved it.  Only major complaint I would have is that having previously read all of the Planet Hulk stuff, as well as seen the Animated movie they did adapting it, I just can't get over Korg's voice.  Every time he talks in Ragnarok, I had to stifle an overwhelming urge to giggle.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: November 04, 2017, 04:12:56 AM

You're meant to ;  watch the interview with the Director where he talks about where he got that voice.  It cracks me up.

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: November 04, 2017, 09:06:20 AM

This was good and I hope its the reason why justice league does poorly.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: November 04, 2017, 01:14:44 PM

This is great.  The whole family loved it.  Go see it at once.

That is all.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: November 04, 2017, 01:45:48 PM

Saw it today and absolutely loved it. Best use of a Led Zepplin song ever. Loved the fight scenes, especially the big climax battle.

"I've been falling for thirty minutes!"

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #67 on: November 04, 2017, 09:03:19 PM

I went and saw this today. It was hilarious, fun, over the top and clearly a comedy.

Ironwood was right. It was SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUPPPER weird. Like really fucking out there. New Zealander out there. I enjoyed it but I'm still trying to process if it was a good "Thor" movie. I kept waiting for him to lose an arm and pick up Executioner's axe. Karl Urban was kind of wasted as Executioner, as they had the look down perfectly but he really only got to do one thing (though that one thing was pretty awesome). The Doctor Strange scene was pretty good and they had a lot of good one liners. I actually think Hemsworth had better lines than Hiddleston which he should considering he's the star but still... Loki usually steals the show and he didn't here.

Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: November 04, 2017, 09:14:49 PM

One thing I like is that it actually follows the mythology fairly nicely.  Ragnarok does see the end of Odin, and a bunch of others, but many of the younger generation did escape to start anew elsewhere.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: November 04, 2017, 09:45:32 PM

. Like really fucking out there. New Zealander out there.

More please.  Perhaps most enjoyable Marvel film ever. Taika Waititi is fucking hilarious and when I saw Rachel House I instantly thought 'she's from Moana!'  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

Tessa Thompson in the words of my son is a 'badass'  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Thor: Ragnarok  
Jump to: