Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:39:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL 2017 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NFL 2017  (Read 121695 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #245 on: December 03, 2017, 08:35:55 PM

You forgot the Rams and Saints, as I think both those teams could give Minny and Philly some trouble.

WayAbvPar

Reply #246 on: December 03, 2017, 08:52:49 PM

Not convinced yet they can make a run, but that was the best 60 minutes Seattle has played all season.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #247 on: December 04, 2017, 07:41:23 AM

Agreed. I tuned in for the Wentz show and was surprised to see a football game. I mostly wanted to wash the Romo out of my ear, though.

Lol Gronkslam tho http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=21655874

They were getting away with shit on him all day.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 07:43:06 AM by Sky »
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #248 on: December 04, 2017, 07:59:54 AM

I'm a Pats fan. I hate the BS calls on Gronk however he should be suspended for 2 games.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #249 on: December 04, 2017, 08:21:40 AM

I'm a Pats fan. I hate the BS calls on Gronk however he should be suspended for 2 games.
Yeah, I laughed about it at the time, but also said "Yeah, he's gotta sit a couple out for that". Felt bad for the kid getting dazed by it, should've been the official letting him get away with it. That whole thing was messy.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #250 on: December 04, 2017, 09:09:26 AM

You forgot the Rams and Saints, as I think both those teams could give Minny and Philly some trouble.

The Saints have lost to the Pats, Minny, and the Rams. They've clubbed all the non-playoff teams. I don't think they are a real threat.

Rams? They played the Vikings and got embarrassed, only scoring one TD. Granted it was in Minnesota, but guess what? It'll be in Minnesota in the playoffs too.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #251 on: December 04, 2017, 09:18:34 AM

I have no confidence that Case Keenum can do what he's been doing at QB for the Vikings in the playoffs. I'm not saying their defense can't carry them, but I've got to see a lot more from Keenum before I'm convinced by them.

That Gronk hit should definitely be a suspension. I get why he was mad - dude was all over him. But you can't do that shit. Same goes for Marcus Peters. He got flagged in the end zone against the Jets and just fucking lost it, throwing the refs' flag into the stands. While that was funny, he should sit at least a game for that, IMO. Not only was it dumb, it probably cost them the game (well that and they've apparently forgotten how to play football as a team).

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #252 on: December 04, 2017, 09:24:09 AM

Geno Smith easily did what Eli Manning does if not better. That got lost in the hub-bub about Eli finally getting benched. He's been a liability since the 2015 season ended.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #253 on: December 04, 2017, 09:45:18 AM

Speaking of the Giants.

In news that should surprise no one, they fired that trash fire McAdoo and their shitty GM Jerry Reese.

WayAbvPar

Reply #254 on: December 04, 2017, 10:48:58 AM

Only several months too late!

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #255 on: December 04, 2017, 10:55:29 AM

Well, technically, he should never have been hired so more like 2 years too late.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #256 on: December 05, 2017, 11:39:27 AM

After watching football for 17 years I still don't get why the fuck these players lead with their heads.

ARE YOU FUCKING INSANE?

I really wonder if removing all the hard shell gear in football would actually make the game more dangerous or less so.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #257 on: December 05, 2017, 12:58:01 PM

I'd guess more injuries. People already don't give a fuck.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #258 on: December 05, 2017, 01:24:43 PM

Honestly I disagree. I believe those helmets actually make football players think it's safe to lead with the head.

Take it away (make it a soft shell for incidental contact, say something like a lot of rugby players wear) and I bet that they aren't using it like a weapon.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #259 on: December 05, 2017, 01:28:42 PM

Rugby doesn't seem to have the issues with concussions that the NFL does, at least not in the games I've watched. They still have concussions because sometimes you can't avoid getting your head hit when making contact. They also make players go off for Head Injury Assessments (HIA's) if they think he's taking a blow to the head. They've recently been amending the laws about scrums and high-tackles to further mitigate the issues. I'm not saying they don't have the same problems as the NFL, it just doesn't seem like they do from watching the games.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #260 on: December 05, 2017, 03:26:39 PM

They have to be coached to lead with their heads, by coaches that don't give a damn. It not something that you would do naturally.

Hic sunt dracones.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #261 on: December 05, 2017, 06:07:50 PM

And if you weren't wearing a big hard helmet, you simply wouldnt do it!

Look they are different sports, rugby typically everything is in front of you, coming at you in similar ways. Football can be a little more chaotic.

But again I thought about line play and maybe the danger of hands going in eyes...well take away the helmets and see how much lineman get used to keeping their hands down.

The equipment is a big part of the problem.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #262 on: December 06, 2017, 09:32:46 AM

Yes, there would certainly be no increase in concussions or broken skulls.  swamp poop

I get what you're saying, but chopping off your hand would also reduce the amount of paper cuts you get.

edit: but here's the thing. There is a RYAN SHAZIER RULE about not leading with the head. So, it's kinda karma at some point.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 09:36:50 AM by Sky »
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #263 on: December 06, 2017, 09:38:49 AM

They have to be coached to lead with their heads, by coaches that don't give a damn. It not something that you would do naturally.
And yeah, I've come around to not liking the Steelers because they're coached to not give a damn.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #264 on: December 06, 2017, 12:01:58 PM

I'm about done with these arbitrary penalties dealt out during the week. Just another black mark for the league.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21690387/george-iloka-cincinnati-bengals-one-game-suspension-overturned

Gronk gets a game for dropping a forearm to a player on the ground after the play, giving said player a concussion.

JuJu gets a game for a block that you see almost every kick return but stops to taunt one of the dirtiest players in the game. So essentially a suspension for taunting.

Not only are the games unfun to watch, now they are continuing the spin-the-wheel for penalties bullshit.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #265 on: December 06, 2017, 06:22:56 PM

Juju is a fucking cunt bitch who threw a dirty as fuck block that they already had to pass one rule to try to get Steelers fuckshit cheap artists to stop throwing.

How Gronk isn't suspended a fuckton of games for doing the dirtiest bullshit you've ever seen is beyond me. Imagine if a defender did that to Brady or any other QB after a play, he would probably be barred from ever playing again.

Fuck the stupid nfl, (I've watched less than 6 games combined total this season and rarely sit through a half of one without walking off) I'm with you on that but cry me a river over Juju didn't deserve it. You are fucking high. Rather the whole shitshow illustrates nicely that the offense just isn't held to anywhere near the same standards as defenders are.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 06:24:50 PM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Terracotta Army

Reply #266 on: December 06, 2017, 07:19:41 PM

Juju is a fucking cunt bitch who threw a dirty as fuck block that they already had to pass one rule to try to get Steelers fuckshit cheap artists to stop throwing.

How Gronk isn't suspended a fuckton of games for doing the dirtiest bullshit you've ever seen is beyond me. Imagine if a defender did that to Brady or any other QB after a play, he would probably be barred from ever playing again.

Fuck the stupid nfl, (I've watched less than 6 games combined total this season and rarely sit through a half of one without walking off) I'm with you on that but cry me a river over Juju didn't deserve it. You are fucking high. Rather the whole shitshow illustrates nicely that the offense just isn't held to anywhere near the same standards as defenders are.

I can understand your position.. I just don't agree.

just to add to the wtf, Green went MMA on Ramsey and all you heard from the league office was crickets.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #267 on: December 07, 2017, 02:38:36 AM

And if you weren't wearing a big hard helmet, you simply wouldnt do it!

Look they are different sports, rugby typically everything is in front of you, coming at you in similar ways. Football can be a little more chaotic.

But again I thought about line play and maybe the danger of hands going in eyes...well take away the helmets and see how much lineman get used to keeping their hands down.

The equipment is a big part of the problem.

No. Its not. The number of football related deaths has steadily decreased in the US as technology improves. Its even outpacing the increase in speed and size.

You can just go look at the stats and a cursory examination of them will make it abundantly clear that football is getting safer.

In 1931 41 people died from direct injuries sustained playing football I.E. collision injuries. In 2010 that number was 5. About a billion more people played football in 2010 than they did in 1931.

From 1931 to 1965(35 years) 608 people died from direct injuries from playing football. From 1966 to 2000 the total was 376. The majority of those came in first 10 years (231 or 61.4%) . From 2001 to 2013 the total was 57, normalized for 35 years that number would be 154 (rounded up).

The fatality rate by direct injury has dropped at least 10 fold from the 60's. And it looks like the 60's was about half to a quarter as deadly as the 30s. And before that? Ho-didly-fuck it was dangerous. While the sport is lambasted today for its immediate and long term danger the sport was attacked for its deadliness so hard that the President or the United States (Teddy Roosevelt) has to intervene to suggest rule changes to make the sport less deadly. It did not particularly work.

http://nccsir.unc.edu/files/2014/06/Annual-Football-2013-Fatalities-Final.pdf

These numbers i am looking at at not including non-contact injuries. A number of people die from heat stroke and while this is also going down it is not going down at the same rate because the ability to protect against heat stroke compared to catastrophic injury is less and because more people have been playing.
Terracotta Army

Reply #268 on: December 07, 2017, 09:17:16 AM

Anyone interested in being a general manager of an NFL team? From past listings, seems experience is not necessary but desired.  why so serious?

Moneyball lasted almost 2 years and got a single win against a team that imploded that game day. Not all that unhappy.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #269 on: December 07, 2017, 11:08:09 AM

I assume you mean this.

What an utterly Browns thing to do.

Terracotta Army

Reply #270 on: December 07, 2017, 11:59:13 AM

I assume you mean this.

What an utterly Browns thing to do.

You forgot the part about firing the GM and then turning around and telling every potential candidate that they'll have to work with the head coach because he's not going anywhere. THAT is the Browns-ier thing to do.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #271 on: December 07, 2017, 03:52:14 PM

The problem is that the Browns should have cleaned house when Haslam bought the team and never ever ever hired anybody that had any connections to the prior versions of the Browns. Basically jettison yourself from any and all cultural references to the Browns and start over.

Instead they hired Chudzinski as the coach and Lombardi as the GM, both of whom were prior Browns front office people and coaches.

Then they immediately kneejerked away from that and hired a Bills former coach (way to choose a real winning franchise there) and replaced the current GM with his assistant GM.

Then they draft Johnny Manziel knowing damn well he's got issues and that other teams aren't touching his crazy ass with a 10 foot clown pole, and Josh Gordon whose crazy ass can't stop getting high.

Then they fired those guys and essentially hired a lawyer to run the team as GM, and a baseball guy to run the football team. Oh and a Bengals guy to coach. Again, picking real winner franchises to pull your people from.

It's like they don't understand their culture is a bunch of bullshit and so they keep making kneejerk changes instead of sticking with literally anything. At all.

Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #272 on: December 07, 2017, 06:30:57 PM

As someone who both plays, and now coaches, it absolutely is a coaching thing. People need to be taught to tackle and hit properly, otherwise they do all sorts of stupid shit.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #273 on: December 10, 2017, 05:57:28 PM

LOL Browns. God it must suck being a fan. Up 21-7 to a shitty Green Bay team and choke it away in OT.

Also looks like Wentz is done for the year. I really don't want the Vikings in the Super Bowl and they may have been the only one to stop them.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #274 on: December 11, 2017, 07:22:41 AM

Can we go ahead and have an overhaul of the officiating procedures and personnel?
Terracotta Army

Reply #275 on: December 11, 2017, 07:39:05 AM

Can we go ahead and have an overhaul of the officiating procedures and personnel?

Especially the catch rule as it stands in relation to touchdowns...

It doesn't sit well with me that I can be running with the ball, stretch out my arm and break the line with the tip of the ball, then get it swatted out of my hand as I'm pushed back to the 3 yard line and it's a touchdown. But If I catch the ball in a hand or both, touch two feet or an ankle or a knee or anything in the endzone, but then bobble the ball... it's incomplete. Just stop it. Either I have to have full control of the ball all the way on runs or passes or I only have to break the line for a second.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #276 on: December 11, 2017, 01:55:53 PM

But you are possessing the ball as a runner before you break the plane. As a receiver, you've got to gain possession long enough to legally be possessing it on the ground (elbow/feet/whatever). I'm ok with how that works.

Otherwise get ready for shit to get weird (ref, it was on my helmet lol)
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #277 on: December 11, 2017, 10:04:40 PM

None of this used to really be a problem, back in the day.  I stand by my recommendation that all officiating crews should include a 10 year-old boy.  "Hey kid, did that look like a touchdown to you?"  Yes, sir, it did.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #278 on: December 12, 2017, 03:03:47 PM

the nfl is unwatchable and almost everyone i talk to has at least cut back drastically. If not for the cancer that is fantasy football they would be freaking out right now over their numbers.

the only sad part about this is that a bunch of assgoblins think any bad news about the nfl proves that the rest of America cares as much about national anthem protests as they do.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #279 on: December 13, 2017, 05:48:02 PM

But you are possessing the ball as a runner before you break the plane. As a receiver, you've got to gain possession long enough to legally be possessing it on the ground (elbow/feet/whatever). I'm ok with how that works.

Otherwise get ready for shit to get weird (ref, it was on my helmet lol)

"Gain possession long enough" is already weird as fuck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53t3xFNrGjg

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL 2017  
Jump to: