Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2018, 08:07:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
Donate! | Shop: Amazon
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Fuck Comcast unto death. Help me cut the cord! (Streaming TV options) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fuck Comcast unto death. Help me cut the cord! (Streaming TV options)  (Read 9591 times)
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: July 26, 2018, 07:19:10 PM

Well look at me. Not even 2 years later and I finally cancelled my TV package. The HD DVR I had went bad  and wouldn't reboot. We literally almost never use the TV there, so I bought a Fire Stick and an HD antenna, then returned the box today. Xfinity rep tells me I have to bring a cable box home with me (I knew this was going to happen, so I was prepared). I told him I didn't want it. I have a cable card, and that is the only TV receiver I really need. He insisted I must have at least a basic box as 'primary equipment', which is just fucking clownshoes stupid, and also completely bullshit. There is literally no technical reason for it. They just want a foothold in my house.  

So I said "Well, let's just cancel it then. Keep the internet, but dump the TV. I will return my cable card". He was mildly shocked, and kept recommending more ways for me to give them money. I told him I had plenty of streaming devices and would be just fine. God that felt good.

So- now I am going to be experimenting with streaming trials. Anyone have favorites? I would like a DVR of some kind (cloud based it fine). Looking at YouTube TV, Hulu Live TV, and Sling TV as my first trials.

You probably have Amazon Prime, so there's that.  You can sub and unsub from a browser as needed to HBO, Cinemax, Starz and Showtime as part of your Prime sub and you won't get some fucking retention asshole trying to convince you that you need to keep something you no longer have a need for.  Beyond that, my brother has been very happy with Google TV to add the 'regular' networks.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #71 on: July 26, 2018, 08:22:07 PM

My old man just refused to ever get cable, he's got one of those paddle antennas for broadcast channels, a roku that he uses to manage various apps and get some random jank, a hulu sub, amazon prime & netflix and he still get's 1 bluray from netflix.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
WayAbvPar

Reply #72 on: August 14, 2018, 04:44:20 PM

Cancelled Hulu Live TV (keeping streaming), going with Sling TV next. Hulu didn't have NFL Network or Red Zone, plus the live TV interface was garbage. Having the freedom to switch at a moment's notice makes dumping cable all the more satisfying.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Who the hell taught you how to write? Fuck, that sentence is like internet transmitted face-attacking knives. Jesus. schild
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #73 on: August 20, 2018, 10:22:29 AM

I'm using a service called Philo for 16 a month for like 40 channels. It has enough of the channels I like (Discovery, Science, History, Comedy, etc) and enough that my GF likes (ID, A&E, OWN) and allows us to install all the individual channel apps for on-demand. I watch it on my fire stick, but have to use the clunky Silk Browser if I want to watch the channels live. Since you get 2 devices, I hooked up a Roku 2 downstairs.

Add on Netflix for 11 bucks and I have what I need for 27 dollars and 45 for comcast internet service. 73 dollars for internet and TV. Solid.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 10:26:03 AM by Slayerik »

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: August 20, 2018, 12:14:49 PM

I'm using a service called Philo for 16 a month for like 40 channels. It has enough of the channels I like (Discovery, Science, History, Comedy, etc) and enough that my GF likes (ID, A&E, OWN) and allows us to install all the individual channel apps for on-demand. I watch it on my fire stick, but have to use the clunky Silk Browser if I want to watch the channels live. Since you get 2 devices, I hooked up a Roku 2 downstairs.

Add on Netflix for 11 bucks and I have what I need for 27 dollars and 45 for comcast internet service. 73 dollars for internet and TV. Solid.

Damn. That does seem like a good deal. I hadn't looked at them before (so much for their marketing), but it looks like everything I would be interested in is available in their base package even.

I didn't see it mentioned on their site, but any idea if they have an app for XBox or PS4? And how well is the pure PC experience?
WayAbvPar

Reply #75 on: August 20, 2018, 05:16:54 PM

On the horns of a dilemma. SlingTV has a much better interface and more channels than HuluTV. But the streaming fucking blows. I get error messages and big buffer pauses constantly, and only through Sling. All my other streaming stuff works great. Free week runs out in a day or two, and I am leaning toward DirectTV streaming. Except Sling has NFL Red Zone and DTV does not. RZ is a complete must have for football season (at least the first month until my fantasy teams are completely off the rails).

Do I hope that Sling gets their streaming shit together? Or do I try DTV? I think I might do a week trial on DTV and see how it goes before the season starts. I can always go back to Sling for opening weekend.

At any rate, the freedom to bounce around as I see fit while not sending Comcast any cable money is  Heart

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Who the hell taught you how to write? Fuck, that sentence is like internet transmitted face-attacking knives. Jesus. schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #76 on: August 21, 2018, 07:54:25 AM

Get ps vue, dude.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Prevent all damage that would be dealt to you and other troops you control.

Reply #77 on: August 21, 2018, 11:47:02 AM

I keep looking at streaming options (especially now that I looked at how much money I'm spending just on my TV service). What's always held me back was sports - I don't watch sports live, I DVR then to watch later the same day. I'd need a service with some decent DVR capabilities as well as major network feeds, lots of sports channels especially soccer and a good mix of cable channels. Fubo and Sling look like the best options but I'm not entirely sure if the DVR capabilities on them is worth a shit. Any testimonials?

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #78 on: August 21, 2018, 01:43:23 PM

Get ps vue, dude.

Had that for the world cup. Was nice... but we don't watch enough of the channels to keep the sub to it. If we didn't have the packaged basic tv with Verizon to get a low cost on the Fios and just got a cheap fiber option, I'd probably keep Vue.

"I want to watch it all burn in an orgy of smashed Coke machines and weasel rape." - HaemishM
ynotgolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: August 22, 2018, 12:46:07 AM

Day 3 of PSVue trial, ...  wish I would've cut the cord months ago now.  3 of the big 4 channels (NBC, CBS, FOX, with ABC On Demand).  I thought ABC On Demand was going to be a big negative with Wifey, but so far, she's game. As long as she has her HGTV to fall asleep to, I think I'm okay.  PSVue is definitely the priciest of the streaming options I considered but it hits all the sweet-spots for us. HGTV, check. Golf Channel (don't judge), check. NFL Redzone, check.  Big four networks, check.  Intuitive DVR with Live playback, double check!

Compared to :
YouTube TV (no HGTV)
Hulu + TV (WayAbvPar steered me away, saved me the 5 day trial)
DirectTVNow (no NFL Redzone)
SlingTV (can only stream the Orange channels on one device, fuck that noise, I've got kids)
Philo (was intriguing, at $16/month. If it was just my wife, and I didn't need to watch NFL or Golf on occasion, I would pushed for Philo and OTA antenna)

Currently my son is playing Fortnight in the living room, my daughter is in her bedroom streaming something on Netflix and my wife is next to me in bed falling asleep to HGTV, flicker free and I have yet to experience any buffering issues. 

YMMV, but I'm sold.

WayAbvPar

Reply #80 on: August 22, 2018, 08:10:07 AM

I keep looking at streaming options (especially now that I looked at how much money I'm spending just on my TV service). What's always held me back was sports - I don't watch sports live, I DVR then to watch later the same day. I'd need a service with some decent DVR capabilities as well as major network feeds, lots of sports channels especially soccer and a good mix of cable channels. Fubo and Sling look like the best options but I'm not entirely sure if the DVR capabilities on them is worth a shit. Any testimonials?

2 weeks in a row (HuluTV 1 week, SlingTV the next) I tried to record the Seahawks game. Neither one recorded. Hulu definitely had my local affiliate channel, but for reasons unknown just ignored my request (I checked beforehand to make sure I had set it up). It also wouldn't even give me the option of recording the Sounders on ESPN (which I ended up watching mostly live, and which was quite worth it). Sling doesn't have my local affiliate, but did have NFL Network, which broadcast the game as well. Again, set it up so the option said it would record, and nothing.

So yeah. My experiences with Cloud DVRs so far is not heartening. I do the same thing as H- record live sports and watch them later the same day/evening.

I hesitate to give Sony any money for many reasons, foremost among them the roughly $10,000 worth of TVs I have owned from them that completely died early deaths. Not really excited about giving them my billing information either, judging by the network security in the past. But I may give them a shot if ynot can give me a solid recommendation (since our viewing priorities are probably a single circle on a Venn diagram).

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: August 22, 2018, 05:08:38 PM

Everyone just get ps Vue. It's how I watch the NFL. DVR is amazing too.
WayAbvPar

Reply #82 on: August 25, 2018, 10:25:24 AM

I went out of town and missed the deadline to cancel my Sling sub by about 4 hours, so I am stuck with it for a month. Sigh.

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Fuck Comcast unto death. Help me cut the cord! (Streaming TV options)  
Jump to: