Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 10:44:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Fuck Comcast unto death. Help me cut the cord! (Streaming TV options) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fuck Comcast unto death. Help me cut the cord! (Streaming TV options)  (Read 81485 times)
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #35 on: September 30, 2016, 09:02:12 PM

One thing not mentioned so far is sound support. Sling TV, PS Vue, and Hulu are only Stereo. Only Netflix consistently has 5.1 or better audio. Amazon can be hit or miss. The reason of course is that Netflix can spend days encoding what the live TV streamers have to do in seconds.
Is the sound of anything other than movies coming over cable at better than stereo, anyway? We'll set aside the question of whether 5.1 sound is actually worth the cost of the equipment, is it even a factor for 95%+ of the channels?

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: October 01, 2016, 04:06:33 PM

For those of you without decent antenna service I just saw a new channel on my Roku that has all of the main Canadian channels streaming live for $1.99 a month. I'm sure there must be equivalent channels available in the US.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: October 01, 2016, 05:31:10 PM

For those of you without decent antenna service I just saw a new channel on my Roku that has all of the main Canadian channels streaming live for $1.99 a month. I'm sure there must be equivalent channels available in the US.

There isn't thanks to the Aereo decision.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: October 01, 2016, 07:59:50 PM

Again, I'll say doing streams through a browser is the cheaper thing.

Everyone here is recommending something that's an additional cost above the charges for broadband, and if you use "illicit" sites and some smart browsing you can eliminate those extra boxes, monthly fees, and assorted extra crap. I don't recommend it for everyone, but you guys are smart enough about pop-ups/pop-unders and browsing that watching EVERYTHING via the net on a PC is the best (and cheapest) alternatives.

If all you want is "antenna" service and the basic channels, use USTVNOW dot COM. Create a log in, and you get those channels free. They have a pay service for additional channels, but again there are other ways + sites, and I still am too poor to pay for TV (let alone back surgeries).

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Logain
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: October 02, 2016, 07:19:05 AM

Again, I'll say doing streams through a browser is the cheaper thing.

Everyone here is recommending something that's an additional cost above the charges for broadband, and if you use "illicit" sites and some smart browsing you can eliminate those extra boxes, monthly fees, and assorted extra crap. I don't recommend it for everyone, but you guys are smart enough about pop-ups/pop-unders and browsing that watching EVERYTHING via the net on a PC is the best (and cheapest) alternatives.

I mentioned it earlier in the thread but everyone's dead set on set top boxes and dongles of one sort or another. Hook a fully functioning PC up to the big screen and you're set for just about anything, legit and illicit feeds alike. I've never had cable television in my adult life, and this is the setup that has always worked best for me.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: October 03, 2016, 01:13:47 PM

I don't have room for a pc in my kitchen dining room where the kids watch cartoons in the morning.

I don't have time to fish for illegal streams all the time when they want to watch the Disney channel.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: October 03, 2016, 03:20:55 PM

My Samsung SmartTV works really well for watching Netflix or Amazon or Hulu. I wish it had PBS Kids (and maybe HBO Go) (like Apple TV does) but otherwise it works great as a self contained unit.

- Viin
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: October 05, 2016, 04:50:25 AM

That decision was such a giant load of horseshit.

My favorite non-PC/legal solution is either one of the newer consoles or the Roku (I'm still using the 3 and can't see a reason to replace it) and Amazon Prime.  You can add Starz to Prime which will get you a bunch of Disney stuff alongside some good movie and series content and turn it off easily when needed.  Add Netflix and HBO Now, and you've got enough stuff to watch for damn near anyone.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: October 05, 2016, 05:50:35 AM

I just read that the company I mentioned earlier streaming local channels in Canada is in the process of being sued by Bell Media that owns about half of them. I guess we can't have nice things up here either.
vos
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: October 05, 2016, 03:30:08 PM

One thing not mentioned so far is sound support. Sling TV, PS Vue, and Hulu are only Stereo. Only Netflix consistently has 5.1 or better audio. Amazon can be hit or miss. The reason of course is that Netflix can spend days encoding what the live TV streamers have to do in seconds.
Is the sound of anything other than movies coming over cable at better than stereo, anyway? We'll set aside the question of whether 5.1 sound is actually worth the cost of the equipment, is it even a factor for 95%+ of the channels?

--Dave

Most of your Major Broadcast TV is in 5.1 a la your NCIS or your Blacklist...   Sports is another area where it arguably makes a big difference...  It is noticeable on Football and Basketball, not so much to me on Baseball. There are however people who vehemently hate it on sports, so ymmv anyway. I probably only care cause I just blew a bunch of money on a new 5.1 setup...

For those of you using PS vue or SlingTv, how cheap would cable TV have to be for you to go back? At a certain point these services are just as much as cable (at least in my area). The PS4 service ends up being about $7 a month cheaper than a comparable cable package. After dicking around with Kodi for 5 hours this weekend, I almost broke down and ordered Cable TV.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: October 05, 2016, 06:55:06 PM

Cables smallest package was about 50 plus box rental which is 10 for a regular box and 20 for a DVR. I have at least 2 TVs. Then other fees and taxes.

That's fios.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #46 on: October 06, 2016, 11:27:42 AM

Football can be hilarious depending on who is sitting near the mics for the rear channel 'ambient crowd noise'. There have been games where I turn up a specific back speaker because someone is just hilariously yelling the whole game and it's never (to my knowledge) censored.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #47 on: August 09, 2017, 07:57:36 PM

Rise!

So Hulu has a new "Live TV" service that is essentially basic cable for $40/month, no contracts. They have some premium stuff (like HBO) a la carte, and it includes everything you get from Hulu+, and CBS/NBC/Fox/CW (ABC is apparently their on demand stuff only).

https://www.hulu.com/live-tv

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #48 on: August 10, 2017, 05:04:14 AM

Waiting for football.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #49 on: August 13, 2017, 10:45:15 AM

Rise!

So Hulu has a new "Live TV" service that is essentially basic cable for $40/month, no contracts. They have some premium stuff (like HBO) a la carte, and it includes everything you get from Hulu+, and CBS/NBC/Fox/CW (ABC is apparently their on demand stuff only).

https://www.hulu.com/live-tv

--Dave

Have you given this a go?  We're finally out of contract with FIOS and eventually would LOVE to ween off of them.  We've been having issues for months.  Our service freezes, stutters, pixelates and plays catch up with the remote... which I guess is lag, maybe?  It would awesome if we could ditch FIOS completely but there is the pesky internet to consider.  And DVR, too, although I suppose we could do without that if necessary.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
schild
Administrator

Reply #50 on: August 13, 2017, 11:58:40 AM

I still use PS Vue and its still awesome.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #51 on: August 13, 2017, 12:51:49 PM

Yep, we use it during football season and it's solid. So great to be able to use the service on a monthly basis.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #52 on: August 13, 2017, 04:52:09 PM

Waiting for football.

Did my eyes deceive me?  Football on Amazon Prime?

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: August 20, 2017, 08:38:33 AM

Same here.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #54 on: August 25, 2017, 12:26:33 PM

Waiting for football.

Did my eyes deceive me?  Football on Amazon Prime?

I think we both saw this.  Thursday Night on Amazon.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: August 25, 2017, 12:32:01 PM

I've been looking at that. TV wise, I really just want the local channels, BBC, HBO -- and then I have Amazon Prime, Starz (American Gods), Neflix and Hulu.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: August 27, 2017, 06:04:51 PM

We're talking about getting NFL GamePass, she just wants to watch the Pats every week :)

So...it's screen limited, I don't have a device that will let me watch it on the big screen...I was planning on getting an xbox scorpio, which is a supported device.

Still a bunch of random junk tv we like to watch that is stopping us, though.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #57 on: August 28, 2017, 05:53:28 AM

We're talking about getting NFL GamePass, she just wants to watch the Pats every week :)

Bah.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: August 28, 2017, 06:51:11 AM

I've created a monster. She has a Patriots app on her phone and tells me offseason trades and whatnot.

I don't even follow any football stuff in the offseason!

Anyway, point is as long as you have an approved device, the NFL isn't the showstopper for cord-cutting.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #59 on: August 28, 2017, 08:33:05 AM

I agree, I need football on the big TV, or the bedroom TV.  Not a phone or tablet.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: August 28, 2017, 12:57:47 PM

You can get the NFL streamed if you can trick it to say you're out of the country. Otherwise it's illigal streams or direct TV.

There are local broadcasting options.

Or you can watch games hours after they are over with game pass.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 08:49:57 AM by Draegan »
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: August 28, 2017, 01:53:36 PM

FEED2ALL DOT EU

All the sports streams u need, every NFL game.

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
WayAbvPar

Reply #62 on: July 24, 2018, 11:50:15 PM

Well look at me. Not even 2 years later and I finally cancelled my TV package. The HD DVR I had went bad  and wouldn't reboot. We literally almost never use the TV there, so I bought a Fire Stick and an HD antenna, then returned the box today. Xfinity rep tells me I have to bring a cable box home with me (I knew this was going to happen, so I was prepared). I told him I didn't want it. I have a cable card, and that is the only TV receiver I really need. He insisted I must have at least a basic box as 'primary equipment', which is just fucking clownshoes stupid, and also completely bullshit. There is literally no technical reason for it. They just want a foothold in my house. 

So I said "Well, let's just cancel it then. Keep the internet, but dump the TV. I will return my cable card". He was mildly shocked, and kept recommending more ways for me to give them money. I told him I had plenty of streaming devices and would be just fine. God that felt good.

So- now I am going to be experimenting with streaming trials. Anyone have favorites? I would like a DVR of some kind (cloud based it fine). Looking at YouTube TV, Hulu Live TV, and Sling TV as my first trials.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: July 25, 2018, 06:21:49 AM

PlayStation Vue

Then whatever streaming services you like, netflix, Hulu, amazon video etc.

Also get an Nvidia shield and set up a Plex server.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #64 on: July 25, 2018, 10:04:41 AM

So I said "Well, let's just cancel it then. Keep the internet, but dump the TV. I will return my cable card". He was mildly shocked, and kept recommending more ways for me to give them money. I told him I had plenty of streaming devices and would be just fine. God that felt good.

DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Welcome to freedom.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: July 25, 2018, 01:12:35 PM

May I interest you in some economical bitcoin mining server cabinets.

Hic sunt dracones.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: July 26, 2018, 08:21:56 AM

How much does standard internet cost from Comast per month?

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: July 26, 2018, 08:28:41 AM

I think I pay $60/month for 250 Mbps down.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #68 on: July 26, 2018, 08:51:21 AM

About $120 a month here for 10 mbps down, for ETL Lao Telecom.   why so serious?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
WayAbvPar

Reply #69 on: July 26, 2018, 10:56:46 AM

$66.95 + tax and fees for 60mbs down. Speed is fine, but I am worried about the 1TB cap every month. We have come up against it a couple of times already, and that was before we were strictly a streaming household. I am sure they will find every single way they can to screw me, since that is their business motto.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Fuck Comcast unto death. Help me cut the cord! (Streaming TV options)  
Jump to: