Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:42:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: No Man's Sky: A COMPREHENSIVE PRIMER BY SAMPRIMARY. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: No Man's Sky: A COMPREHENSIVE PRIMER BY SAMPRIMARY.  (Read 319147 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #175 on: August 22, 2018, 10:00:11 AM

The alt-fire on it builds terrain, but it's limited to spheres and cubes...and the cubes are, ehm, special. Like sometimes they snap to each other, sometimes they don't. If you put a slab of ground down, it's lumpy. If you alt mode and remove it, it doesn't remove cleanly. If you try to fill it in again, it gets lumpier. So yeah.

I plan on keeping dumpster base for a long time, though. With the teleporter from any space station, it works well enough. Getting tired of working on it on my early planet, though.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #176 on: August 23, 2018, 09:38:32 AM

Thanks for to terrain manipulater tips. You're right, it's total garbage but at least now I can fill in deep holes and let the structures flatten it out. Those damned access ramps are still driving me crazy though.

My last visit to an Atlas station told me that I was almost at the end. I have no idea what happens after that. Polo and Nada are expecting me to spend 20 days on extreme planets and at the rate I'm going it could take months. In the meantime my third quest has been nagging at me to get off my butt and reset the universe already. I refuse to do that while I still have a dozen sidequests wanting me to photograph an underwater creature dammit.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #177 on: September 10, 2018, 10:50:13 AM

If anyone's still playing, I figured out a good way to flatten the land without using the terrain manipulator. Just place a wooden floor at the level you want to build your base. They flatten things beautifully and you can recover the old floor for free so you can do it until you have the area you want  at the level you like. For filling in holes the terrain manipulator is handy but inevitably you'll raise it a little too high and the floor trick can flatten it back down.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #178 on: September 10, 2018, 08:20:09 PM

Ah, good idea!
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #179 on: November 16, 2018, 01:55:47 AM

I wish the base building wasn't so half-assed.

Building something that doesn't look like it was smashed together by a hyperactive toddler is almost impossible. No grids, no alignment tools no way to work with terrain except that weird manipulator.

I like my bases neat and structured and aligned on a grid with meticulous precision (that's my German-ness) and NMS drives me up the wall.
DevilsAdvocate25
Terracotta Army

Reply #180 on: November 28, 2018, 12:14:01 PM

I realized last night that suit expansion can be purchased in what appears to be every space station. There is always the side of the station with three vendors: suit, ship, tool. The suit guy sells prints and upgrades, but right behind him is a floating backpack. Click and pay.

You can do this once per space station.

Also, if you check the tool guy, right next to him is a fold out that offers a tool for sale in every space station. Nothing from the ship guy though.

There is a guild rep in every space station that will give you free stuff once per space station as well. Usually just credits.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #181 on: December 06, 2018, 12:59:58 PM

I thought that the found blueprints had been removed but turns out they are in the sealed factories where you anger the sentinels when you blast through the door.  I had been avoiding those buildings.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #182 on: August 06, 2019, 10:47:52 AM

I keep going back to this and playing a goodly bit for a couple of weeks, then shelving it again for a while. It's really pretty fun now and close to what I thought it was going to be. The only thing I still dislike is ship combat.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #183 on: August 06, 2019, 01:21:27 PM

I think I read somewhere there's a really big expansion coming soon, adding in the full multiplayer experience and other stuff.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #184 on: August 06, 2019, 07:58:56 PM

My original character is practically a god now. i might start a new guy when the expansion comes out. Not thrilled about multiplayer at all though.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #185 on: August 08, 2019, 12:37:22 PM

Not interested in MP. They have been pretty quiet and I had assumed it was to work on the VR version.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #186 on: August 08, 2019, 03:09:14 PM

The update is three parts: Multiplayer, VR, and some unannounced content. I believe they feel they’re finally hitting the point where they’re releasing the game as it was intended.

https://www.nomanssky.com/2019/08/no-mans-sky-beyond-trailer/
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #187 on: August 08, 2019, 04:08:17 PM

I liked the game without the story arc, but hey. I got my dollars out of it already. Hopefully they won't completely invalidate my progress, like last time there was a huge update.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #188 on: August 09, 2019, 06:21:14 AM

Is that trailer actual ingame footage? I don't think I've ever had graphics as colourful as those anywhere.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #189 on: August 09, 2019, 09:59:16 AM

I am trying to contain myself from going bananas.  5 more days.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #190 on: August 09, 2019, 10:38:07 AM

In-game footage, but I think there could have been some time-compression.

I could be wrong, but the game seemed more colorful before NEXT. In fact, some planets changed colors during an update. The planet I named Tennis Ball was no longer the correct color, which bothered me a lot as the planet's owner.

Edit to say that maybe the wild colors will return, not that I think the trailer is somehow more drab than I remember.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #191 on: August 09, 2019, 11:36:41 AM

I've never played it, but that trailer is a MUCH less shade of day-glo color than any of the footage I've seen of the game before.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #192 on: August 09, 2019, 11:49:48 AM

Hah someone should think about moving this thread down into Gaming. It's every bit as active as most of the games in there. :)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #193 on: August 09, 2019, 12:42:11 PM

I don't know, it's pretty easy to find at the moment.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #194 on: August 16, 2019, 08:27:44 AM

I think the dinosaur bones were removed. Still need to put more time in, but so far so good.

I don't want to start over again, but we will see.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #195 on: August 18, 2019, 11:00:17 AM

Well I think I'll come back to this in a month or so. Currently I think it's just too buggy to waste time on.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #196 on: September 27, 2019, 01:05:18 AM

Dinosaur bones are still in. I've found countless planets with the "ancient relics" resource type.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #197 on: September 27, 2019, 10:05:01 AM

They were just removed from my main base planet, then. Oh, well.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #198 on: November 29, 2019, 12:35:31 PM

A huge quality of life upgrade just went in, so I started yet another new character. I've only been playing a couple of hours and so far what I've noticed is that inventory stacks literally everywhere in starship, exosuit, and exosuit storage will now hold 9,999 items. I love this. I can finally stock up on enough Carbon and Ferrite dust to keep me basebuilding without interruption. Also, the Terrain Manipulator now has an actual "flatten" setting. So that it's easy to level all the space you need for your base. No more screwing around with placing floors to do it. There's a ton of other stuff in the patch notes too but these are what I've seen so far.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #199 on: November 29, 2019, 05:30:58 PM

If they manage to do a solid, huge content update this may end up being one of the best iterative games ever made. Right now I get caught up in the upgrade treadmill and go sour after 20 hours. They need to make an actual deep story to go on top of the galaxy they created.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #200 on: November 30, 2019, 05:22:44 AM

I think they're planning another new content patch for next time.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #201 on: December 02, 2019, 11:09:59 AM

A huge quality of life upgrade just went in, so I started yet another new character. I've only been playing a couple of hours and so far what I've noticed is that inventory stacks literally everywhere in starship, exosuit, and exosuit storage will now hold 9,999 items. I love this. I can finally stock up on enough Carbon and Ferrite dust to keep me basebuilding without interruption. Also, the Terrain Manipulator now has an actual "flatten" setting. So that it's easy to level all the space you need for your base. No more screwing around with placing floors to do it. There's a ton of other stuff in the patch notes too but these are what I've seen so far.
Badly needed, I may need to revisit this again.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #202 on: February 24, 2020, 11:45:23 AM

Hey the next update is out and it's pretty cool. This will be the second time I've posted about it because of the annoying bug of "Not having permission to post Spoilers" that completely wipes out the lengthy message I just typed out. Not that I'm one to complain mind you. I'm sure the imminent arrival of the new forum software will fix all of that.  swamp poop

Anyhow, they've added a new quest similar to the underwater base quest we got a couple of updates ago. This time the reward is a cool looking living ship. There are a few different types you can get but they're all S-Class(or maybe better I'm not sure.)

It's a long quest and will take a few days to complete (or longer if you don't have a lot of quicksilver). The way to get it started is to go to the Space Anomaly buy a Void Egg from the quicksilver merchant. It costs 3200 quicksilver which could take quite a while to collect if you haven't been doing space anomaly dailies.

Once you have the egg, warp around several times until the egg sends you a set of system coordinates to go to. (Minor spoiler: Take 250 Hexite and a Korvax Casing to build the item you need from the new blueprint you get.)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #203 on: February 27, 2020, 07:49:16 AM

Thinking of returning to this. Wondering if I should start over, but I'd rather not unless there are bugs or other difficulties in progressing with my existing character.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #204 on: February 27, 2020, 02:50:38 PM

I don't think there's any need to start over. They've been really good at keeping old saves viable. Depending on how long you've been gone your base may need a bit of rebuilding to bring it up to code. They added the need for power generators two or three releases ago.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #205 on: September 23, 2020, 12:02:13 PM

If they manage to do a solid, huge content update this may end up being one of the best iterative games ever made. Right now I get caught up in the upgrade treadmill and go sour after 20 hours. They need to make an actual deep story to go on top of the galaxy they created.

They still haven't done a large story content patch. However, I think they've gotten very close to what they promised the game to be at launch. Large life was added today - with sandworms finally making the cut. This is a big enough patch I'm going to start another playthrough from scratch.

Notes: https://www.nomanssky.com/origins-update/

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #206 on: September 23, 2020, 05:08:26 PM

I just signed on with my game from the last update. The new graphics are amazing. I'm not sure yet but I think I they might have outgrown my old NVIDIA 970. So I may need to pull back a little on the quality.

I'll definitely start a new game to see what it's like from that perspective.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #207 on: September 26, 2020, 12:04:30 PM

The 970 is handling everything just fine and the game is beautiful. I created a new game and started out in a horrible toxic wasteland. It wasn't a great spot so I had to travel some real distance to get what I needed. (Of course the fact that I thought the carbon plants were all monster eggs didn't help.)

Anyway, the place has actual sandworms and they are just awesome. I made a home on the Paradise planet next door and it wasn't quite so paradisaical when I discovered the enormous man eating dinosaurs that migrate through my back yard every day. I'll probably like them eventually but with just an unmodded boltcaster now is not the time.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #208 on: September 28, 2020, 11:00:31 AM

it's amazing to me how much of a complete turnaround this entire game AND the entire studio was
schild
Administrator

Reply #209 on: September 28, 2020, 12:41:44 PM

Yeah I'm playing it now

Like, it's good
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: No Man's Sky: A COMPREHENSIVE PRIMER BY SAMPRIMARY.  
Jump to: