Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2018, 04:48:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
Donate! | Shop: Amazon
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: No Man's Sky: A COMPREHENSIVE PRIMER BY SAMPRIMARY. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: No Man's Sky: A COMPREHENSIVE PRIMER BY SAMPRIMARY.  (Read 62301 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #175 on: August 22, 2018, 12:00:11 PM

The alt-fire on it builds terrain, but it's limited to spheres and cubes...and the cubes are, ehm, special. Like sometimes they snap to each other, sometimes they don't. If you put a slab of ground down, it's lumpy. If you alt mode and remove it, it doesn't remove cleanly. If you try to fill it in again, it gets lumpier. So yeah.

I plan on keeping dumpster base for a long time, though. With the teleporter from any space station, it works well enough. Getting tired of working on it on my early planet, though.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #176 on: August 23, 2018, 11:38:32 AM

Thanks for to terrain manipulater tips. You're right, it's total garbage but at least now I can fill in deep holes and let the structures flatten it out. Those damned access ramps are still driving me crazy though.

My last visit to an Atlas station told me that I was almost at the end. I have no idea what happens after that. Polo and Nada are expecting me to spend 20 days on extreme planets and at the rate I'm going it could take months. In the meantime my third quest has been nagging at me to get off my butt and reset the universe already. I refuse to do that while I still have a dozen sidequests wanting me to photograph an underwater creature dammit.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #177 on: September 10, 2018, 12:50:13 PM

If anyone's still playing, I figured out a good way to flatten the land without using the terrain manipulator. Just place a wooden floor at the level you want to build your base. They flatten things beautifully and you can recover the old floor for free so you can do it until you have the area you want  at the level you like. For filling in holes the terrain manipulator is handy but inevitably you'll raise it a little too high and the floor trick can flatten it back down.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #178 on: September 10, 2018, 10:20:09 PM

Ah, good idea!

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #179 on: November 16, 2018, 03:55:47 AM

I wish the base building wasn't so half-assed.

Building something that doesn't look like it was smashed together by a hyperactive toddler is almost impossible. No grids, no alignment tools no way to work with terrain except that weird manipulator.

I like my bases neat and structured and aligned on a grid with meticulous precision (that's my German-ness) and NMS drives me up the wall.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: No Man's Sky: A COMPREHENSIVE PRIMER BY SAMPRIMARY.  
Jump to: