Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:30:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Civilization VI 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Civilization VI  (Read 86198 times)
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #175 on: May 12, 2017, 10:07:00 AM

I'm sort of a weirdo but I like playing Civ with no AI Civs and just colonizing the world. This usually means opening a game, going into the editor and deleting all the other Civs. Seems like VI wouldn't be terrible for me.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #176 on: May 12, 2017, 11:10:20 AM

Yes. That's how I enjoy it most as well. Huge world but with only 2 other Civs.

You want the other 2 Civs just for trading partners. Sure you could do trade routes with city-states but that's less fun and you don't have good candidates to drop nukes on later.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #177 on: May 12, 2017, 11:31:58 AM

I usually play huge archipelago with 4-6 civs, so yeah...not exactly a strategy crunch. Mostly colonizing and relaxing.

Though the Mod Which Shall Not Be Named was my one exception in the series, that was way more fun with tons of civs, because each had a flavor and strat of their own.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #178 on: May 12, 2017, 01:30:21 PM

I should probably give this another try.  I tend to ratchet the difficulty way down in Civ anyway and just roll over everything with my massive empire.  Much more cathartic than getting into another nuclear war with Gandhi.

Play EUIV instead, with the (I seem to remember) El Dorado expansion.  Create a custom nation for 800 points with a bunch of maxed-out national ideas in morale, discipline and infantry ability, and give yourself both coasts of the channel from Oldenburg down to Caux and south to Paris but with your capital in London.  You'll still have decisions to make but France and England will be crippled enough that you can steadily progress.

The AI is a bazillion times better tha the current state of Civ VI (not perfect, especially around naval warfare, but functional even there) and you will still "win" at most difficulty levels.

Also why are you not on discord this will not stand and is going in your annual review, young man.

Sorry but don't listen to this advice. EUIV is *not* the same type of game as Civ, and even on easy difficulties it is astronomically harder to play than Civ. I love EUIV, but would never advise people to play it if they like polaying on the lower, more relaxing difficulties of Civ!

If you do play on the lower levels, Civ 6 is fine and works great -0 it looks pretty, has some interesting mechanics, and you can crush Gandhi into the ground as all good Civ players should.

I happen to know that Phildo is very aware that there is a difference between civ 6 and eu4.  I'm not sure if he has ever tried using the custom nation designer.

And Ghandi will always nuke you.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #179 on: May 12, 2017, 09:32:15 PM

Truth.  I've never played EUIV, but I'm well aware of it.  I've just had less and less patience for trying to figure out complicated UIs and new systems.  Civ is pretty, largely intuitive and I've been playing it since the first one.

Also, I'm still in discord.  I'm going through a lurking phase.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #180 on: May 31, 2017, 12:52:21 PM

I won't buy at release, as these people are on the same rules as Total War now, but I am interested to see if they can make the AI actually decent without turning it into a RNG cheating machine.

And a year later, I guess that answer I'm reading is a solid no. Shame.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: June 01, 2017, 04:27:53 AM

Yeah, as far as I can tell, they're not as committed to improving this as they were with Civ V.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #182 on: June 01, 2017, 07:27:10 AM

Its sad, but I just can't bring myself to play it. Still play Civ V with the Community mod pack on a regular basis.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: June 01, 2017, 02:44:59 PM

I still haven't pulled the trigger on this.

It looks beautiful.

But right before Civ VI release, I revisited Civ V and like every game, no matter the settings (and I randomized all of them, every game), every game played out exactly the same.

And then I read all the issues with gameplay upon release. Compelling me to wait until 1st major expansion / patch. But I'm still waiting.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #184 on: June 01, 2017, 04:40:10 PM

I don't play Civ 5 anymore because of what you said, every game plays out exactly the same. Get 4 cities, build stuff, win game. It's why I prefer playing Civ 6 because each game is at least semi-different. You could have some mountains nearby that would make a great campus spot. You've got to figure out where you can put your industrial districts for max efficiency. If there's some desert nearby you can go for Pyramids. You won't be able to do every eureka every game so you have to find out which ones are feasible and which ones you'll skip. Most importantly where you start and how much room you have to expand dictates how many cities you can build. There's not some stupid arbitrary limit of well I have 4 cities so I guess I better stop making settlers for the rest of the game.

This is speaking as someone who doesn't like early war and doesn't bother attacking people in the first 100 turns unless they're walking an unprotected settler next to my unit for some dumb reason.

The Lord of the Land approaches..
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #185 on: June 01, 2017, 05:38:24 PM

It's a really difficult thing with 4X games in general. I've only played a few that produce dramatically different feeling endgames. That famous Civ IV mod that we all like to talk about here is one of the few. It really comes down to having strong factions that are also in some sense play-balanced so that one or two don't become the default alpha faction, and then having an AI that can handle the variations. I'm not sure we'll ever have a game that fully handles all that.
WayAbvPar

Reply #186 on: November 17, 2017, 09:39:50 AM

Has anyone played the new update yet? I was looking forward to it, then got busy with life and completely forgot about it. Saw an update on Steam yesterday and discovered it happened like a month ago!

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #187 on: November 17, 2017, 11:29:31 AM

That reminds me, I should reinstall Civ IV.  And that mod.

God I wish someone made a game around something like that mod.  That would be cool.

Oh, and Civ VI.  I also have not bought that, and I am not encouraged based on the reading here.  Although what Azuredream said was positive, and I will probably pick this up at some point on sale.
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #188 on: November 25, 2017, 03:45:45 AM

Since civ 5 ruined the series and this looks like more of the same, I'll pass.
Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #189 on: November 25, 2017, 04:33:39 AM

Civ 5 with the two expansions is as good as Civ 4 with expansions IMO. Definitely not ruined (I much preferred it to 4)

Civ 6 is, atm, a waste of time though. Looks pretty, but despite a years worth of patches the AI is still fundamentally unable to play the game. I don't understand how the tactical AI from Civ 5 (which was never that great) is SO much worse in this game. Combine that with the Ais inability to build districts and citiers and its just a mess that's held together by giving the AI ridiculous bonuses, far more than it ever has had in previous games.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #190 on: November 25, 2017, 04:56:51 PM

I ended up feeling surprising affection for Civ V.

Civ VI is a loss. I can't imagine how they could patch it to be a halfway functioning game, especially not with their basic ethic on this.
Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #191 on: November 29, 2017, 10:06:39 AM

Its also worth saying that since the last patch (October 19th, so over a month and a half ago) the game has basically been unplayable. They broke the starting position code in that patch, and despite a subsequent patch it hasn't been fixed.

What this means is that you can start literally next to another city's civ. In my recent game, on turn 10 a city state settler wandered into my capitol. They were literally unable to settle because they had started so close to me. The AI has two civs with their capitals 4 cities apart. You might get lucky and be in an okay starting position, but the AI almost certainly won't be.

There's a SS of someones starting settler being literally in the hex next to another civ's starting settler on turn 1.

6 weeks, not fixed, but they do announce an expansion.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 05:24:43 AM by Maledict »
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #192 on: November 29, 2017, 11:14:12 AM

To be fair, the not-Alpha Centauri released reeked of being an intern project, so not sure why we thought VI would be any different.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #193 on: November 29, 2017, 08:14:10 PM

To be fair, the not-Alpha Centauri released reeked of being an intern project, so not sure why we thought VI would be any different.

Civ 6 is a good game. Just, not for AI to play.

I'd rather play Civ 6 from an interesting game systems point of view than any other Civ.
WayAbvPar

Reply #194 on: November 29, 2017, 11:51:48 PM

Saw something about the first expansion coming in Feb? Maybe that will save it  Ohhhhh, I see.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #195 on: November 30, 2017, 01:13:34 AM

Civ 6 is a good game. Just, not for AI to play.

I'd rather play Civ 6 from an interesting game systems point of view than any other Civ.
Agreed.  Civ 6 has a lot of interesting and fun systems built into it that should make it a great game on paper.  Problem is that the overall game is a mess that doesn't work.  Maybe the expansion will be a miracle patch like the expansion for Civ V, which turned it into the best of the series.  But I'm not holding my breath.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #196 on: December 17, 2017, 04:48:13 PM

Its also worth saying that since the last patch (October 19th, so over a month and a half ago) the game has basically been unplayable. They broke the starting position code in that patch, and despite a subsequent patch it hasn't been fixed.

What this means is that you can start literally next to another city's civ. In my recent game, on turn 10 a city state settler wandered into my capitol. They were literally unable to settle because they had started so close to me. The AI has two civs with their capitals 4 cities apart. You might get lucky and be in an okay starting position, but the AI almost certainly won't be.

There's a SS of someones starting settler being literally in the hex next to another civ's starting settler on turn 1.

6 weeks, not fixed, but they do announce an expansion.
So that's what happened. I started a Civ, moved a space (to get to a better position), and another civ plopped down a city right freaking next to me.

Not kidding. Turn 2, and my settler and scout got bumped a space because of a new city.

I guess this goes back on the shelf until they fix it. Just tried to start a game three times -- three times another capital within 10 squares or so.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 04:53:39 PM by Morat20 »
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #197 on: January 05, 2018, 11:31:18 AM

This is available on Humble Bundle monthly for 12 bucks. So you can subscribe, get the game (plus the Australian! and Viking packs) and unsubscribe from Humble monthly.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #198 on: January 05, 2018, 12:59:16 PM

I'm mildly curious about whether the DLC coming in February might fix this some the way that the Civ V DLC fixed that game.
Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #199 on: January 05, 2018, 01:47:16 PM

Its hard to see that happening unfortunately, as they aren't talking about the AI at all. The expansion is going to add lots of new systems in, and I don't see how an AI that can't play the base game is going to cope with the extra features.

We're over a year in the AI is still not building or using districts appropriately at all. It cannot fight wars properly. And the diplomacy is still utterly batshit insane.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #200 on: January 05, 2018, 02:25:11 PM

I could deal with an AI that fights badly if only the diplomacy made modest sense. It doesn't--and they've chosen to make it a central part of the gameplay. The gameplay implies that it's worth your while to play into the AI faction's particular goals/obsessions and it is not. You cannot ever satisfy an AI faction that has a clearly declared obsession or interest; some of them will ridiculously undercut their own supposed goals/interests on a regular basis. Every AI is basically an enemy from the first moment you see them, trying to do anything but kill them is pointless. There's actually no variation in strategies worth considering, compared to Civ V.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #201 on: November 21, 2018, 02:32:11 PM

This still bad? It's on fire sale now on Steam (75% off, $15 for base game). There's also a Switch version now too (not on sale), which is kind of interesting intriguing.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 02:34:06 PM by Trippy »
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #202 on: November 21, 2018, 02:43:10 PM

I found it playable with the expansion. It still doesn't stand up to 5, but the mechanics are different enough for it to be interesting.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #203 on: November 22, 2018, 11:58:39 AM

This still bad? It's on fire sale now on Steam (75% off, $15 for base game). There's also a Switch version now too (not on sale), which is kind of interesting intriguing.

I haven't really played the game at all since my last post long ago up the thread, so I cannot speak to the current state of the game.  But its likely the fire sale is because they just announced a brand new expansion coming out in a few months:

https://www.engadget.com/2018/11/20/civilization-vi-gathering-storm-february-14th/
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 12:00:26 PM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #204 on: November 23, 2018, 06:46:01 AM

I think I'm done with Civ. Every new version is worse than the one before lately.
WayAbvPar

Reply #205 on: December 11, 2018, 06:06:57 PM

I will buy the expansion like a dutiful Civiot, but I can't say I am overly hopeful. So many problems. I can't win a game via anything other than conquest or space race. Culture just takes FUCKING FOREVER and religion is the most unfun micromanagement ever conceived.

Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #206 on: December 11, 2018, 07:59:57 PM

The new expansion looks horrible.  Random disasters are the things I hate most in this genre, I loathe them with a passion.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #207 on: December 12, 2018, 04:45:12 AM

It doesn't look like it fixes anything that still needs fixing, so I'm not in for it.
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #208 on: December 13, 2018, 04:51:55 AM

It doesn't look like it fixes anything that still needs fixing, so I'm not in for it.

Yeah, I don't think Firaxis knows what to do with this or even why it was popular in the first place.  I'd prefer if someone else just made an updated Call to Power under a different name, because Civ 5 with vox pop is still the best civ.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #209 on: December 13, 2018, 06:40:45 AM

See, that's the thing that gets me about Firaxis.  They are just so UNEVEN.  Either they hit it out of the park, or just fuck it up in a way that makes you think they have no idea whats going on.  But its not like they're on some downward trajectory.  They just literally keep releasing great and terrible games.

-Stephen Colbert
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Civilization VI  
Jump to: