Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 06:36:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Dark Souls 3: Prepare to Drei 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dark Souls 3: Prepare to Drei  (Read 19155 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #70 on: May 06, 2016, 12:15:48 PM

It's OK.  My free time is something I'm working on.  Note that I've been "wasting" it trying to complete Demon's Souls.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: May 11, 2016, 05:09:28 PM

Beat the game on ng+, although have some of the optional stuff left. Some of the bosses at the end had some added stuff although not enough to really make it hard. It was a fun run but now its time for something else.

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #72 on: May 12, 2016, 04:11:46 AM

Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: May 12, 2016, 07:29:19 AM

Always had the impression that poise worked properly when swinging big weapons like ultra greatswords, curved greatswords, big hammers and axes. For quicker weapons like regular swords and curved swords it has no effect.

Given how bosses and mobs in general favors an agile gameplay I mostly used quick weapons while I felt that big weapons only seemed useful for PvP gameplay.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 07:32:15 AM by Gimfain »

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: May 13, 2016, 03:29:51 AM

Believable speculations on how the new Poise works.

(long)

https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4j4f94/ds3_poise_researched_and_explained/

In short, it's similar to how it was in Demon's Souls as opposed to Dark Souls 1 and 2. It's a chance, modified by your poise value, the weapon you are using, the weapon the enemy is hitting you with.

Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: May 13, 2016, 11:19:14 AM

Managed to get a friend to finally play dark souls 1. He almost stopped after going into graveyard from firelink shrine, even moving into catacombs until I told him, you know there are other ways to go. He was so sold on this idea that the game was super brutal that he expected you would die endlessly just to progress from the tutorial area. Now that he walked into undead burg instead he is totally hooked.

I installed dark souls 2 myself, played a bit, didn't like animations, found the areas looking bad and not really interesting to walk in so after 1.5 hours I uninstalled it. I guess there was a reason why I never played it after I finished it the first time.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: May 13, 2016, 09:48:06 PM

Managed to get a friend to finally play dark souls 1. He almost stopped after going into graveyard from firelink shrine, even moving into catacombs until I told him, you know there are other ways to go. He was so sold on this idea that the game was super brutal that he expected you would die endlessly just to progress from the tutorial area. Now that he walked into undead burg instead he is totally hooked.

I installed dark souls 2 myself, played a bit, didn't like animations, found the areas looking bad and not really interesting to walk in so after 1.5 hours I uninstalled it. I guess there was a reason why I never played it after I finished it the first time.

I tried going into the crypts first too. After four hours and several "fuck this game" moments I went to the burg and wrecked the place.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: May 16, 2016, 07:02:06 PM

Believable speculations on how the new Poise works.

(long)

https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4j4f94/ds3_poise_researched_and_explained/

In short, it's similar to how it was in Demon's Souls as opposed to Dark Souls 1 and 2. It's a chance, modified by your poise value, the weapon you are using, the weapon the enemy is hitting you with.

Yeah, believable aside from how it not only completely contradicts hours of footage and testing (while offering no actual proof of his own, while also being on a throwaway account), but is also counter to the style of deterministic gameplay that the Souls series has been built around.

It's almost certainly either a troll post or someone who is wrong, but genuinely believes he's right.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: May 17, 2016, 01:35:39 AM

More believable speculations on Poise then.

https://www.vg247.com/2016/05/16/dark-souls-3-poise-2/

- When you roll, the animation takes a certain number of frames to complete. Some of these frames are “vFrames”, during which you are vulnerable to damage, and some are iFrames, during which you are invulnerable.
- Whenever you take damage, including during the vFrames of rolls, the number of iFrames available during subsequent rolls is reduced. Your available iFrames gradually recover over time if you don’t take damage.
- The higher your poise stat, the lower the number of iFrames you lose after taking damage.
- The higher your poise stat, the faster you will recover your lost iFrames.

Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: May 17, 2016, 05:03:19 AM

More believable speculations on Poise then.

https://www.vg247.com/2016/05/16/dark-souls-3-poise-2/

- When you roll, the animation takes a certain number of frames to complete. Some of these frames are “vFrames”, during which you are vulnerable to damage, and some are iFrames, during which you are invulnerable.
- Whenever you take damage, including during the vFrames of rolls, the number of iFrames available during subsequent rolls is reduced. Your available iFrames gradually recover over time if you don’t take damage.
- The higher your poise stat, the lower the number of iFrames you lose after taking damage.
- The higher your poise stat, the faster you will recover your lost iFrames.
I do know that after failing a dodge it felt like consequent hits had a tendency to hit you as well. If getting hit removed invulnerability frames from dodging it certainly would explain a lot but it sounds like an awful game mechanic that better not be true.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #80 on: May 17, 2016, 11:01:47 AM

Clearly I just need to ignore this and play the game or not.

I'd like to beat the first boss with my sorcerer but I suck.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: May 18, 2016, 06:22:47 AM

Sorcery is one of the things they kind of shit the bed on in this. You're basically a melee guy for a long time until your stats and gear get up there, especially your rings.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #82 on: May 18, 2016, 07:27:53 AM

I kinda feel like any ranged is boned at the beginning.  Or I suck.  Might be both.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: May 18, 2016, 08:03:59 AM

I think saying "I think I should be able to play the game from the beginning as class X" is kind of silly for a dark souls game.  Even when starting as ranged was viable it was never optimal, there were so many rpg's back in the day that didn't even let you pick a class until you were a few levels in so I just don't see this as much different.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #84 on: May 18, 2016, 08:42:18 AM

Sure, that's fine.  I don't have an issue with that, insofar as there is a deprived class and that my knight isn't prevented from eventually learning spellcasting.  I do wish I could personally get my sorceror past the first boss, but it makes me tired and so I end up playing something else.

Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: May 18, 2016, 10:57:25 AM

Do you mean Gundyr or Vordt?  I'm not one to parry much but I found Gundyr is pretty easy to parry once you get his moves down.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: May 19, 2016, 04:53:56 AM

Also don't be afraid to summon people to help you. There's no shame in it, IMO.

Hell, I got tired of bashing my head against Champion Gundyr yesterday and summoned two players to help. They got toasted immediately, which left me alone against a boss who now has much higher health.

I managed to knuckle up and win, which made me feel even better in the end.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: May 19, 2016, 05:14:32 AM

That's the thing: Dark Souls may be hard but you can make it easy in so many ways if you so wish. Summoning people is the most obvious way and barring surprises, when you summon it's usuall a guaranteed boss kill. Worst case scenario you rinse and repeat a couple of times. I never summon because I don't think these bosses are balanced for more than one person so they usually die so easily that I feel robbed of the fun, but as Koro says there's really no shame. Better to summon than to get stuck and put the game away.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #88 on: May 19, 2016, 06:11:32 AM

Do you mean Gundyr or Vordt?  I'm not one to parry much but I found Gundyr is pretty easy to parry once you get his moves down.

I don't know.  That first dude that I inexplicably de-sword.  I guess I need to learn to parry or go play Bloodborne.

Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: May 19, 2016, 07:30:43 AM

I don't know.  That first dude that I inexplicably de-sword.  I guess I need to learn to parry or go play Bloodborne.

koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: May 19, 2016, 07:52:29 AM

Learning to parry never hurts, but for his first phase I got away with it as an absolute Dark Souls newb by just rolling a lot.

His second phase though, I had to just ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ that shit and go HAM until you finally win.

I hate Pus of Man (which is the goop that comes out of him), and I cheese the ever-loving fuck out of every one I see because I can never learn their attack patterns and they hit like trucks.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #91 on: May 19, 2016, 09:14:28 AM

Sorceror shield is not awesome, so rolling it is.

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Dark Souls 3: Prepare to Drei  
Jump to: