Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:51:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Rogue One 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rogue One  (Read 96550 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #280 on: January 02, 2017, 09:34:56 AM

Loved it. Possibly my second favorite SW flick. Fiancee liked it but was a bit lost as a casual watcher (in her opinion, SW is the love story of Han and Leia and she hates the prequels because of Aniken/Padme). I did a lot of whispering references ("that's Bael Organa, Leia's father" that kinda thing). She had me explain about half the movie over wings and beer after  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #281 on: January 02, 2017, 02:43:42 PM

Are you sure? Take another look.

Quote from: Teleku
That doesn't look like anything to me.
Ok, guess I'm missing the reference here.  Little more help?   awesome, for real

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #282 on: January 02, 2017, 05:45:18 PM

Are you sure? Take another look.

Quote from: Teleku
That doesn't look like anything to me.
Ok, guess I'm missing the reference here.  Little more help?   awesome, for real

In Westworld the "hosts" are programmed not to see anything that will cause them harm or anything the humans don't want them to see.  They use that line when someone tries to bring their attention to it.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #283 on: January 02, 2017, 11:13:27 PM

It's OK. The reference/joke is a bit of a stretch.

I just don't see how a human being would see that human CGI as "perfect". They just looked odd. I'd rather they had just cast other actors and said "this is Tarkin now, deal with it." Instead we got a flesh mask that walked like an AT-ST.

-Rasix
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #284 on: January 03, 2017, 07:11:17 AM

Finally saw this with my dad.

Loved every minute of it. The ending with Vader made me squeel with glee.

They could have done more character building but I'm not going to pick on them with a one off.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #285 on: January 03, 2017, 07:13:47 AM

The CGI actors looked better than any we've had before, if they keep trying eventually they'll be perfect. Peter Cushing is to weird looking to recast, and Leia could only be Fisher.

I am the .00000001428%
Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #286 on: January 03, 2017, 10:19:21 AM

Regarding CGI:

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #287 on: January 03, 2017, 11:02:44 AM

CGI Tarkin didn't bother me because my stars wars memory didn't recall Tarkin being in the original film until about 2/3rds of the movie (rogue one) when my brain made a consciousness leap and said "oh wait shouldn't the actor playing that guy be dead?". I think most of you recognize princess leia because she was spank bank material for so long that your brains went "ye gads" when you saw her face. I know I did....
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #288 on: January 04, 2017, 06:43:13 AM

Saw it for a second time (this time in 3d, nope didn't add anything). I do really like this film.

The space battle at the end is what i fucking love about Star Wars. It shiiiiits all over the one from TFA. I could watch two hours of this shit (bring back B and A wings!).

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #289 on: January 04, 2017, 12:28:20 PM

Saw it. Liked it. Wanted more Vader whomping on fools.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #290 on: January 04, 2017, 02:54:42 PM

They were damned lucky he only got as many as he did. That short scene alone was a friggin bloodbath.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Torinak
Terracotta Army

Reply #291 on: January 04, 2017, 04:40:40 PM

I think this thread has also unscientifically proven to me that some people can't be easily fooled, while others have brains that seem to adapt and accept.  We already know this has something to do with our primitive instincts and ability to recognize any kind of "wrongness" in human facial patterns.  The interesting part to me is how strong the instinct is in some of us, while some of you motherfuckers don't even notice.

From an evolutionary perspective, it's probably a vestigial survival instinct to spot early stages of deadly diseases that show up as skin/complexion issue--spot it quickly and don't get infected and die.

Some people notice the differences but can look past them, understanding that there's more to someone than superficial physical details. The ones that can't come up with things like the paper bag test.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #292 on: January 07, 2017, 11:43:15 PM

Saw it. Not bad, but found it a very odd mix of naff as heck and desperate seriousness.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #293 on: January 08, 2017, 09:01:28 PM

On a second run through, Tarkin is fairly noticeable as CGI if you are looking for it.  He also has a LOT of relative screen time which gives it more chances to register. I think it has something to do with the shading / shadows.  He is old, and and his face just didn't seem to have the right look you would expect from someone with that many creases / age weathering.  Especially when you are given the chance to directly compare him to several other "older" looking people who appear in the same shots.  Sometimes it looked like he was being lit by an entirely different lighting source then the rest of the scene.

Leia on the other hand, only appears for like 2 seconds, and looked 100% human no matter how hard I looked for some flaw to indicate the CGI.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #294 on: January 08, 2017, 09:05:43 PM

With Leia, there was a waviness about the edges of the face that jumped out at me. I suspect that the theory that it comes down to differences in how we perceive faces is correct.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #295 on: January 08, 2017, 10:08:17 PM

I really think it is instinctive to a huge degree, and clearly we register things differently.  It was decent CGI as far as such things go, but they were no more convincing to me than muppet Yoda ever was. 

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #296 on: January 09, 2017, 05:50:40 AM

They were both laughably bad for me. It made the fan service of it all even worse.

I found all that stuff really heavy handed, worse than TFA.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #297 on: January 09, 2017, 07:25:06 AM

To me that comes down to whether or not you consider just reusing the entire script outline of the first movie as being fanservice or not.

I'll take a handfull of cute throwbacks and cameos over what Force Awakened gave us - it basically felt like a Superhero origin story reboot movie (I still enjoyed it though)

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #298 on: January 09, 2017, 07:35:06 AM

The CGI people were really jarring IMO.  Tarkin looked like he was having a stroke, and Leia looked like she'd just had a major botox treatment.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #299 on: January 09, 2017, 10:38:37 AM

The CGI people were really jarring IMO.  Tarkin looked like he was having a stroke, and Leia looked like she'd just had a major botox treatment.
I spent every scene with Tarkin trying to figure out how they'd done him as I knew Peter Cushing was dead. At first I thought it was just makeup on an actor with similar facial structure or reconstructed footage from Ep 4. Leia was worse IMO. Even then I think she'd have been fine except that the last shot of her lingered about a second too long and let you see all the faults. If they'd cut that shot to the length of her line of dialogue, it would have been much less noticeable.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #300 on: January 09, 2017, 11:45:50 AM

The part they haven't gotten right yet with CGI people is getting their modeled facial muscles to act like the real thing.  It's been a while since I've seen ep 4, but if you put CGI vs real Tarkin side by side I think the differences would be pretty glaring, even though I'm sure the animators spent months going over that same footage trying to match it perfectly.  The expressions in the CGI version end up being overexaggerated to try to cover for the fact that they can't do finer nuances.  Really stands out for a character like Tarkin who was very controlled and reserved.

Personally I think they should've had fewer scenes with him, and had him appear as a wavy hologram instead of in person so they could cover up the CGI flaws.  Or just show him from the back.  Double that for Leia; have a different actress, contrive the shot to not have her face in it.  What they did was close but no cigar, and ten years from now I think it's going to look more dated than the special effects from episode 4.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 11:49:37 AM by Samwise »

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #301 on: January 09, 2017, 11:51:47 AM

I think it would have been better to do both of them in long shots mostly. There's something about how skin hangs on bones and musculatures that just doesn't come out right in even the very best rendering. And about the color and texture of skin, too--the way light works off it and through it.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #302 on: January 09, 2017, 06:22:05 PM

The thing that wierded me out the most about Leia was the soft focus and glow around her, or at least that's what I thought I was seeing.  It just looked fake and wrong.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #303 on: January 09, 2017, 10:43:48 PM

The thing that wierded me out the most about Leia was the soft focus and glow around her, or at least that's what I thought I was seeing.  It just looked fake and wrong.

Aye.

Tarkin generally was just handled like they were really really happy with themselves, and needed to make sure he was front and center in every scene he was in so you could see just how wonderful a job they'd done and p[at them on the head. The fact they felt like "hey kids, this is someone you might remember!!!" instead of just normal scenes made the bad CGI worse.

Anyhow, I don't really get the Star Wars love, I felt like even this was a poor paint by numbers exercise. Where is the imagination in the movies? Aside from some pretty cool geographic CGI I was really let down on this part. Where's the wanderlust? Everything feels so stagey.

I prefer Lucas' self involvement, even when flawed, ahead of this superficial toy shop parade.

Not bad, but not good. I guess I will watch once more of these, but I probably shouldn't, I'm not the audience.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #304 on: January 10, 2017, 09:27:43 AM

Yeah, you should probably drop out of watching these. Obviously not your stuff, man.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #305 on: January 10, 2017, 10:12:19 AM

It's times like this when I miss Margalis. Nobody did Stars Wars hate better.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #306 on: January 10, 2017, 11:19:56 AM

That's more like Star Wars Meh than Star Wars Hate.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #307 on: January 10, 2017, 02:16:54 PM

My disappointment in the franchise is tempered by the years of, but I'd be happy to step it up a notch if you guys feel there is a market for that sort of thing here.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #308 on: January 10, 2017, 02:41:13 PM

I don't think you have it in you.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #309 on: January 10, 2017, 09:27:22 PM

Ok, one last question for the fans:

What was the point of the directors trip to see Vader? Just so he could choke him and make a bad pun? Was there some other subtlety or plot development there I was missing?
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #310 on: January 10, 2017, 10:08:24 PM

Don't think you missed anything.  It was just basically an "aaahhhh yeeeaaaah it's Vader!" scene.  And, well, maybe it is a good idea to fit him in there somewhere instead of just having him show up at the end to wreck some trash mobs.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Torinak
Terracotta Army

Reply #311 on: January 10, 2017, 10:42:09 PM

Ok, one last question for the fans:

What was the point of the directors trip to see Vader? Just so he could choke him and make a bad pun? Was there some other subtlety or plot development there I was missing?

IIRC, Tarkin had pretty much taken away the Death Star project. The director went to visit Vader to try to get it back, hence the question about whether the director was still running it which prompted the force-choke.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #312 on: January 11, 2017, 01:59:39 AM

Yeah, that whole scene was what happens almost daily at your place of employment, minus the lava, bacta tank and Sith Helpers :  The Director got his power taken away from him by a higher up Manager, so he decided to do an end-run around said Manager by going to the CTO.

It was a dick move and highlighted again this guys incompetence, hubris and stupidity because he was basically bypassing Evil Peter to pay a visit to Even-Eviler Paul.

If he'd survived, it wouldn't have made the slightest bit of difference to ANH because he was basically a low level flunky with delusions of adequacy.

Fuck him.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #313 on: January 11, 2017, 06:27:40 AM

I don't think you have it in you.

Yeah, probably not.  I got through my "they ruined my childhood" phase early when Lucas' people sued the forum I use to role-play on for using the name "Star Wars" and effectively killed the community.  Far fewer people, it seems, were searching for "Space Wars".
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #314 on: January 24, 2017, 11:47:37 AM

Just saw this last week, and I got to say that last scene is one hellava tearjerker now, awkward CGI or no.

And speaking of that, Tarkin's face did look a bit rubbery to me when he first turned around, but then I adapted and it didn't bother me for the rest of the movie. I mean, why would I want to let a somewhat imperfect minor visual effect distract from the rest of an excellent show?

And I agree with Thresh -- Peter Cushing always did look a bit rubbery, even in the best of times.

And furthermore, talking with youngsters who didn't even know Peter Cushing was dead (or, indeed, who he was at all), finds that they didn't even notice anything was off at all, so I really suspect the "bad CGI" is something that the "fans" are just hyper sensitive about.

I did really enjoy the movie -- I found it just the right mix of old and new, the battle scenes were visually stunning and easily followed. I liked the characters, especially Tudyk's Z-whatever (the reprogrammed Imperial Droid), and in fact found myself thinking halfway through the film that I certainly wasn't going to mind following this gang around for two or three more movies!

:/
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Rogue One  
Jump to: