Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:54:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Indiana Jones 5 - The Walking Stick of Justice 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Indiana Jones 5 - The Walking Stick of Justice  (Read 10784 times)
Sir T
Terracotta Army

on: March 18, 2016, 07:27:31 PM

http://fandom.wikia.com/articles/disney-announces-indiana-jones-5

Disney — which purchased Lucasfilm and therefore now owns Indiana Jones — announced today that Indiana Jones 5 is going into development. Steven Spielberg will be back to direct, Harrison Ford will be back as the titular archaeologist, and the film will be released on July 19, 2019.

At first, I would have groaned at this news. Ford seemed tired and uncommitted during his last go-around as Indy, but after his genuinely delightful turn as Han Solo in Star Wars: The Force Awakens, I’m a lot more optimistic. It’s also assumed that George Lucas will have very little involvement in this installment, and that’s probably not a bad thing. I have to believe he’ll at least be consulted or get some kind of producer credit, but I don’t know if his name will make it on the screenplay. Lucas has a story credit for each of the Indiana Jones movies but has never written the screenplay. He’ll obviously get a “characters by” credit, but will he at least get to pitch some ideas?

As always, it’ll be interesting to see what historic artifact or culture Indy will be involved with. There are numerous unmade Indy movies (some were repurposed into video games like Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis) so there’s no want for material. If Ford can bring that same swagger he brought in The Force Awakens, it might be reason enough to crack that whip one last time.

Confirmation - http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/disney-announces-fifth-indiana-jones-875794

*Edit* oh and for those who are snark reading challanged I want to make it clear that I made up the title.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 07:30:58 PM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 08:53:50 PM

one last time.

Mmhmm.   rolleyes
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 09:31:27 PM

There is literally no reason for this to exist. I do not want to see Harrison Ford hobble through this shit again, not after the last abortion of a movie. Recast it, reimagine it, whatever just not this sad pathetic grab for cash.

Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 08:52:59 AM

The last movie was pretty bad.  Ford's performance was embarrassing.  Shia TheBeef.   Ohhhhh, I see.  Lucas meddling with the script to "improve" it.  The woman from the first movie returning, doing one usefulish thing, then staring adoringly at Ford the rest of the time.  Shia TheBeef being Indy's child.  Christ.  Aliens.  The nuclear bomb proof refrigerator.  ALIENS.

At this point, I have no real desire to see another Indiana Jones movie with Ford in it  Lucas being sidelined does increase the odds of my seeing it slightly though.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 11:34:15 AM

Only interested if this is about him fighting to avoid getting his tenure revoked.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 11:43:21 AM

Yes we need more hyper-nostalgia.   Ohhhhh, I see.  I tolerated it with the new Star Wars in hope that it will yield new stories.  I can't see that happening with this franchise.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: March 19, 2016, 12:25:32 PM

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #7 on: March 19, 2016, 05:02:16 PM

I still have to gather the necessary courage needed to watch the fourth movie for the first time. Not sure I'll catch up  why so serious?

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: March 20, 2016, 02:15:30 PM

I still have to gather the necessary courage needed to watch the fourth movie for the first time. Not sure I'll catch up  why so serious?

If you have any love for the original Trilogy then don't do it. Seriously, stay away from the Crystal Skull and know that many of us envy you.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: March 20, 2016, 05:35:38 PM

I've also never seen Crystal Skull. Have no desire to.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: March 21, 2016, 09:26:40 AM

I'm going to be the contrarian here and have some hope. Yeah, Ford has gotten old, but that's nothing a good director/writer/cast can't cure, and so far Disney has had a good eye for getting all three together, at least to my tastes.

Crystal Skull... Sigh. Look, it was no worse than Temple of Doom, and better in some parts. Nuking the fridge happens early in the story and pretty much sets the tone for all the rest of the stunts -- we're talking Loony Toons level of logic. But once you accept that......

Okay, yeah, I thought it sucked too, but I know people who liked it, so YMMV.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: March 21, 2016, 09:50:33 AM

, but I know people who liked it, so YMMV.

We all know at least one psychopath. 

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: March 21, 2016, 04:07:52 PM

Maybe this will be his Connery role in the series, and he passes off the whip to his kid. Who isn't the aforenamed fuckstick.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #13 on: March 23, 2016, 01:09:51 PM

Maybe this will be his Connery role in the series, and he passes off the whip to his kid. Who isn't the aforenamed fuckstick.

1 - That would be great and I would watch this.
2 - Seriously, only if his kid is recast though.
3 - And no more aliens
4 - And no more Lucas
5 - Oh and bring back the holy grail, it was lost. And now, it's back!

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: March 23, 2016, 01:47:51 PM

The major issue I can see is even if they go with "Old Indiana Jones" and have some non-progeny for his hand-off, I don't know how you keep the pulp tone and move the character forward in history. I don't think you can do a 1970s thing and have it stay within the pulp sensibility, but if you lose that sensibility, then rare artifacts and non-Western societies and geopolitical rivalries I think risk becoming markedly less fun. Or you risk having Indiana Jones end up looking more like the third-order echoes of Indiana Jones like Lara Croft and Nathan Drake--that was what setting Indiana Jones' major adventures in the Nazi era did for the series, is keep it close to pulp roots.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: March 23, 2016, 07:15:24 PM

The major issue I can see is even if they go with "Old Indiana Jones" and have some non-progeny for his hand-off, I don't know how you keep the pulp tone and move the character forward in history. I don't think you can do a 1970s thing and have it stay within the pulp sensibility, but if you lose that sensibility, then rare artifacts and non-Western societies and geopolitical rivalries I think risk becoming markedly less fun. Or you risk having Indiana Jones end up looking more like the third-order echoes of Indiana Jones like Lara Croft and Nathan Drake--that was what setting Indiana Jones' major adventures in the Nazi era did for the series, is keep it close to pulp roots.

Why not make this Nazi-era?  It doesn't need to be a reboot but you can fudge his personal timeline a bit. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: March 23, 2016, 07:18:40 PM

Seems pretty tough unless they decide Crystal Skull never happened.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: March 23, 2016, 10:39:46 PM

But really, wouldn't that be best for everyone involved?

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: March 24, 2016, 12:24:57 AM

Crystal Skull is kind of like the Star Wars prequels to me...it is was the execution that was the problem.  It was no more or less ridiculous than the others in the series, just terribly made.

And yeah, it was bad.  I was literally angry after watching it, and I have a notably high tolerance for bullshit in movies.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #19 on: March 24, 2016, 07:13:22 AM

Exactly that, Cyrrex. Last Crusade was on a few weeks ago and I was ripping it apart as I watched just the catacomb scene. It was executed well, though, and I was a younger man when I watched it so things change. Most notably your ability or willingness to suspend disbelief.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: March 24, 2016, 07:26:31 AM

Can we just talk about ancient aliens for a sec? Cause aliens somehow affecting pre-historic cultures is a fucking awesome trope in adventure stories. I think crystal skull did it badly, really, really badly but let's not throw out the baby with the bathwater here.

I think the biggest sin was revealing too much and too soon.  It was full on aliens from the start when in any other story it's a reveal that happens near the end and even then it's something mysterious and not fully clear if it really was aliens.  The trope exists in many games to great effect, namely the tomb raider and drake series but tere are more and they dole it out well. 

There was so much ridiculousness in crystal skull it's easy to point out the most outlandish aspect but the entire movie was outlandish and ridiculous so of course the treatment of the extraterrestrial was equally so.  In a better movie, with better writing, aliens would be fine.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: March 24, 2016, 05:05:23 PM

All of that. It was post-WWII peak-paranoia Roswell/Red Scare period, so the theme itself made sense. It was just, ya know, all of the execution that went sideways.

I didn't hate it. But I'll never watch it again even flipping channels. Which is about the strongest indictment I can come up with  Ohhhhh, I see.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: March 24, 2016, 06:37:48 PM

All the stuff you guys are saying is where I was trying to go with my comment, but I just couldn't word right.

The problem with Crystal Skull wasn't the nuked fridge or the space aliens or even the monkey vine swinging -- it was that every scene in the movie felt different. There was no coherent tone or plotting. It was just a mess, and I don't think it had anything to do with Ford or even LaBeouf. It was the writing and direction that was at fault.

So I'll hold out some hope that they might be able to bring Indy back for one grand last blowout.

Hey, maybe it'll be Indiana Jones in Spaaaaaaaaaacccceeeeee!
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #23 on: March 24, 2016, 09:02:59 PM

Indiana Jones vs. The Moon Nazis would make more sense than Crystal Skull, and probably be more fun to watch.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: March 24, 2016, 09:08:55 PM

They already did aliens might as well move on to Old Ones.  Indiana Jones and the Call of Cthulu.
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: March 25, 2016, 03:16:22 PM

Because that would be totally out of place in the series with flaming heart transplants and face melting boxes.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: March 25, 2016, 03:43:29 PM

They could do a lot worse. I just don't think they're going to be able to do 70s-era bad guys really otherwise.

I suppose they could pull a Lethal Weapon and have it be set in South Africa with Indy against apartheid-era SA goons. I can actually think of a few appropriate McGuffins even, though they'd almost inevitably go for the King Solomon's Mines thing, which is not a comparison they want to invoke.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: March 26, 2016, 09:54:41 PM

All of that. It was post-WWII peak-paranoia Roswell/Red Scare period, so the theme itself made sense. It was just, ya know, all of the execution that went sideways.

I didn't hate it. But I'll never watch it again even flipping channels. Which is about the strongest indictment I can come up with  Ohhhhh, I see.
Yeah, I could see where they were going with that. It fit right into the pulp focus of the 50s and the tensions there.....

The concept "If we push Indiana Jones forward 10 or 20 years, that's the 50s....what's the weird crap, what was the pulp comics of the time into? Oh yeah, aliens and sci-fi." That part made sense. The execution was just....terrible. Nothing hung together right.

Basically it's like they cut and replaced "religious artificial" with "alien thingy" and "Nazis" with "Russians" and threw that up on screen. No actual changes to the material, format, script, pacing, cinematography -- nothing to make it fit 50s pulp.

Even if you got rid of stupid crap like the fridge, you'd still end up there -- it'd be all wrong because it was just a superficial adaptation. Indiana Jones worked because background, plot, story, and style all fit together. But the Crystal Skull was just fighting itself, because they didn't adapt everything.

It was...lazy. They'd have been much better off, I think, finding someone who was both an Indiana Jones fan and a fan of 50s pulp sci-fi and told him "Look, we're doing 50s sci-fi now. How would Indiana Jones work in that world? But remember, it's 50s pulp -- not 40s serial. Don't just sand off the labels".

Or hell, just rebooting it with a younger actor and given Ford a cameo. Maybe you can't shoehorn Indy into that time-period -- 50s is more about scientist-adventurers, not archaeologist-adventurers.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: March 26, 2016, 10:04:26 PM

That's an interesting take but I would disagree because I don't think they just replaced nazis with russians and religion with aliens.  If they HAD done that, kept the exact same formula and changed stuff around it would have been fine but this wasn't simply old indy with new trappings, the whole movie was a bloated mess that seemed to be trying too hard on every level.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #29 on: March 26, 2016, 11:24:14 PM

Indy should run around punching hippies in the face and finding some lost booga-booga that would totally win the Vietnam War if those stupid Top Men would just listen to him.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: March 27, 2016, 04:50:09 AM

Having Indy in Cambodia in the early 1970s could be edgy fun if they handled it right, but...that's nearly guaranteed to go wrong.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #31 on: March 27, 2016, 06:17:27 AM

Indy meets a young John Rambo. Hijinks ensue.  awesome, for real

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: March 27, 2016, 06:37:24 AM

THAT would be fun. Indiana Jones 5 sets up Expendables 3  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #33 on: March 27, 2016, 06:50:38 AM

Either Harrison is shorter than I thought or Sly is wearing some bigass lifts.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: March 28, 2016, 05:41:23 AM

Ford is 5' 11". Stallone is 5' 8".

Hic sunt dracones.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Indiana Jones 5 - The Walking Stick of Justice  
Jump to: