Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:25:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  The f13 Radicalthon  |  Topic: Dwarf Fortress: F13 Succession 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress: F13 Succession  (Read 14566 times)
Pagz
Terracotta Army

I AM GOING TO WRESTLE THIS BEAR WITH MY BARE HANDS!

on: February 17, 2016, 11:08:48 PM

Geththur, The Past Universe
Book 1: Rosespears
Chapter 1: The Cycle Begins

Chapter 2: Zombie Bugocalypse

Book 2: Arrowvault
Chapter 1: Peaceful Days

Hey everyone, this will be the thread for the F13 succession games for dwarf fortress! It's first in best dressed, so place you name in the thread and take a ticket, we'll take turns one year at a time until the inevitable death of the fortress either due to !!Fun!! or buggy crashes. I'll update this OP with any new information that arises.

Rosespears:

1. Pagz
2. ezrast

Arrowvault:

1. Pagz

Any questions post here and I'll be happy to help. We're currently playing: v42.06.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 01:10:50 AM by Pagz »
Pagz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 11:10:24 PM

A link to the save for the next person in line here.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 08:56:06 AM

Haha, glad to see we retain our classic f13 enthusiasm once actually asked to participate. why so serious?

I'll take year 2; poke at me if I don't have something up soon. Noob question, what are you using to make screenshots? All the tools I've tried won't remove window dressing.

edit: also, it's been a while since I've played; is there a reason the whole map is marked inaccessible to trade wagons?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 09:50:14 AM by ezrast »
Pagz
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 05:56:34 PM

I've been using Lightshot for screenies, but I'm sure I make those images the most painful way possible. The area is marked as inaccessible because we don't have a trade depot up yet. I started a construction, but I'm pretty sure it got interrupted by all the zombie heads.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 10:35:48 PM

Sorry it's taken me so long to update - it's been an especially busy week, plus I spent the weekend being violently ill.

So, I fail at Dwarf Fortress pretty hard. I've lost the fort in a couple different ways now - the first one was due to buggy/bogus behavior (I think) so I savescummed around it, but the second was legit (I think - hard to tell what Toady considers a bug). I have a save from shortly before the loss and I can try again, but it may take me a while to work all the way through the year unless the Fun eases up a bit (I was only about a third of the way through when I lost).

The more honorable thing seems to be to write up the loss (there's some decent material in there I think) and let someone else have a go at year 2 if they're interested, or restart the fortress somewhere a bit less Fun. How would the audience prefer I go about this?
Pagz
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 02:36:36 AM

I did choose a pretty shitty spot, but there's no rush to post an update. What was the buggy behaviour? You can pm me and we can see if we can sort it out with something like dfhack. I'm also happy to start again somewhere a little less fun, hehehe.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 11:01:57 AM

The more honorable thing seems to be to write up the loss (there's some decent material in there I think) and let someone else have a go at year 2 if they're interested, or restart the fortress somewhere a bit less Fun. How would the audience prefer I go about this?

If you can make the write up interesting, I vote do it.  I suck pretty bad at DF so I'm pretty sure that if I jumped in next I would die pretty much instantly, so unless there's someone who knows what they're doing waiting in the wings for their turn it makes no difference to me if the current fortress keeps going.

edit: to be clear, I'm not saying that in a "I don't care if you live or die" kind of way.  I mean: the purpose of this thread (I assume) is to be fun and entertaining, so if you can write up a fun and entertaining story about getting wiped out, that's probably better than trying to "win" the game.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 02:44:21 PM by Kail »
Pagz
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: March 04, 2016, 01:00:29 AM

Fun and entertaining is the main goal, failing in hilarious ways is our game! I want to fill this thread with !!Fun!! fortresses.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 01:15:30 PM

I've come into command of this outpost, Rosespears, at an early stage in development. My predecessor has been ambitious, and performed quite a bit of exploratory work into the caverns below this place, but there's much work to be done closer to the surface before we can truly be considered a fortress. Twelve of my seventeen dwarves are currently occupied with fighting some sort of malicious, animated parrot head; I trust they'll be able to deal with it but getting some better security should be a priority.

The fortress doesn't seem to have a functioning kitchen so I order one built, along with two small nearby stockpiles for efficiency - one for raw foods and one for prepared. Ard is designated the fortress' chef. I also begin carving out some more bedrooms - my glorious leadership will surely attract some migrants soon - and some larger offices so that we may perform basic bookkeeping and other administrative tasks.

Ironwood and our fledgling military are still working on that kea head when Rasix abruptly declares herself queen of the fortress. I could say more for her timing, and I'm not certain that 17 dwarves and an unfinished hole in the ground constitute a "queendom." But she's still willing to let me do the fortress planning, and nobody else seems to want to argue with her. Then again, that could be because several of our wrestlers have passed out during the fight, though it's more due to exhaustion than to actual injury. It's becoming clear they'll need some intervention soon. I have the few dwarves who haven't been pulled into the fight set up a horseshoe-shaped wall directly underneath the kea, which can funnel it into a set of traps.

I channel out from underneath the kea and the plan works - the foul thing evades my stone-fall trap but winds up caught in the cage trap. I erect the cage in the center of what will be the dining room, where it will be a testament to my ingenuity (mostly because I have no idea what else to do with it). Meanwhile, most of the dwarves get back to work, and the military resumes normal training.

Well, the military except for Kail, who proved to be just a little too dedicated to that fight. Kail, you will be missed.

A lot of dwarves are complaining about not being able to supply water to the wounded, since the local stream is currently frozen. I don't think anyone is in grave peril now that our soldiers are free to take care of themselves again, but I'd like to get a well set up for the future. I carve out a tunnel towards the river, and some stairs downwards into what will become a reservoir (which may also be useful for farming later). I'm hoping to get some floodgates in place before the thaw - though most likely it will take until next winter to finish. I also queue up a few extra floodgates for construction, since those can double as sturdy front gates for the fortress. We'll be wanting those before any more foul fowl show up.

New migrants arrive! At first I think it's only five, but then I realize there are fifteen of them and give up trying to be clever with name/occupation matchups. I did make sure to designate rk47 as our engraver, though.

I have them carve out a simple burial chamber and inter The Wooden Seal's first victi- I mean, casualty.

I then turn my attention to clearing out the area around the entrance so that I may get proper fortification set up, but, uh, too late:

I haven't spent any time developing our military or metallurgy facilities - we still have just one squad of mostly-wrestlers - so this thing is going to end us if it gets inside the fort. Our only hope is to pull as many dwarves inside as we can, quickly erect some solid gates, and yell names at it until it goes away.

K9 and Samwise, we hardly knew ye. K9 was apparently beaten to death with a woolen tunic. Oh, the dwarvenity.

We do manage to get barriers up, but there is at least one more dwarf caught outside - Paelos, who ignored my orders to get inside the burrow ASAP, and instead has chosen to take a nap outside. She gives no fucks about seeing her clanmates die, but is annoyed at having to sleep on the grass. Paelos, you monster.

I'm not about to dismantle the gate just to let Paelos in, but I'll try to rig it up to a lever so that we can open it briefly. Then I learn where the "were" in wereelk comes from:

The hideous beast turns into a goblin, gets tired, and quietly leaves the map. Huh. I release everyone from the burrow and return to improving the fortress. I plan to make Paelos wait outside until I finish mechanizing the gate, but then I realize - K9's not dead! I had assumed that I just didn't receive a kill message since nobody else was around to see it, but no - the wereelk simply saw fit to crush his arms, knock him unconscious, bludgeon him over the head with a tunic a few hundred times, then turn into a goblin and walk away. I take down the gate so that he (and Samwise's body) can be recovered. He's a bit worse for wear, but he's walking and our doctors will make certain nothing gets infected, I'm sure.

So now that we're safe again -

A necromancer and a horde of zombies are streaming towards the fortress. I don't have enough time to get the gates set back up, and even if I did that would mean leaving a number of dwarves stranded outside.

However, our military proves surprisingly able to handle the army. Either I was overestimating the zombies, or underestimating the amount of training they got from that interminable kea fight (which trained up most of the fortress to Legendary Observer, among other things). I didn't get a good shot of the fight but here's a ton of zombie goblin corpses laying around in front of the fortress:

The problem is that even with the necromancer dead, there's still quite a bit of evil magical energy coursing through this place - whether from her tower, or simply the evil biome, I'm not sure - and occasionally one of the goblins, or their bits, will reanimate and begin attacking again. This makes it hard to get any work done.

For a while the military is able to contain the zombie threat, and I construct a pit and a garbage dump where I hope to dispose of all the corpses before they can reanimate. But every time a foe (or friend) loses a limb, that's another piece to reanimate, and my haulers are having a hard time getting all the refuse into the dump without being interrupted. Finally, we meet an undead foe that is too mighty for our soldiers to fell.

Yep, our warriors are capable of holding off necromantic hordes only as long as those hordes do not contain any small animals, which are apparently nigh-incapable of being killed, no matter how much damage they sustain.

Much like the kea head, the rabbit is incapable of doing any real damage, but entirely capable of forcing my entire military to chase it into a corner and ignore all other duties. That allowed a few of the real zombies to get reanimated and come up behind my distracted forces (who are all clumped into one square in this shot).

Then, things get ugly. My troops are all laser-focused on the rabbit, nobody is watching out for the main zombie force, and, well.

With the entire military dead and zombies roaming through the fortress, I abandon Rosespears. Perhaps another day, these zombies will meet the righteous vengeance they so deserve. Until then, here's one punching all the teeth out of an alpaca:
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: March 07, 2016, 01:17:30 PM

Afterword:
So, a lot of things went wrong here. Firstly, I don't know what's up with zombie animals being impossible to kill. I did find some bug reports online about similar issues involving undead animated tissues that were too small to hit, but nothing about animals taking hits and simply not dying. The first time I loaded up the fortress, the entire population got stuck fighting that kea head and was on track to dehydrate to death; it took a couple restarts before I managed to come up with the cage trap solution and only lose Kail.

Secondly, zombies in evil biomes apparently reanimate endlessly, which can be dealt with if you have a proper means of disposal, but I didn't by the time it started happening. From what I've read on the forums all the main methods of doing this (magma, drawbridge exploits) require some setup and so would have been something I'd need to focus on from the start.

Thirdly, the fortress is actually full of holes. There are some areas around the embark point that must have been randomly channeled in from the start, so the main stockpiles and great hall have a bunch of spots that are exposed to the outside. You can't really tell when you look at it from above because the "open space" glyph blends in perfectly with all the grass tiles. Before I figured out what was going on, I made several attempts at surviving the invasion by sealing the fortress gates closed, only to find zombies seemingly teleporting into the middle of the fort. This was pretty baffling/frustrating until I finally figured out they were just jumping in through holes in the roof.

All this stuff could potentially be worked around, but it would basically require starting completely over from the beginning of the year, and probably being better at the game than me. Since I've been sitting on this for ages already I decided to just do the writeup for as far as I'd progressed. I do encourage others to fork the timeline at the beginning of year 2 and have a go though.
Pagz
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: March 07, 2016, 05:10:29 PM

It really does sound like zombies bugged out and are impossible to kill, especially small ones like parrot and rabbit heads, making it impossible to do anything =/. If I'd known about this weird bug I'd probably try a different location. Probably best to wait until it's fixed to start in an evil biome again.

If you want to upload the save ezrast, I'll try to start a fort in a much less evil infested area, unless you'd like to try a new fort and take year 1.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: March 07, 2016, 06:51:32 PM

Oh, right. Here's the save from right before abandoning the fort: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zkhxttbdxp8u7zz/save%20-%20year%202.zip?dl=0
Pagz
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: March 07, 2016, 11:15:16 PM

Coolio, I'll try and get a start on this for tomorrow. I'll try and pick a zombie free zone, hopefully somewhere with iron this time. Might be a fun to reclaim Rosespears one day, we did hit adamantine after all!
Pagz
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: March 09, 2016, 01:06:51 AM

Save is here for whoever wants to go next.
Pagz
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: March 31, 2016, 05:47:48 PM

Ok, so maybe a succession fort wasn't such the best idea. I think what I'll do is just leave this thread open for anyone who wishes to take over in the infinite future, as there is a super fancy myth generator coming out in two or so releases that I'd rather wait for before getting super stuck into df again (probably going to be years off at his rate, but if I get the itch again I'll just take over this thread from wherever it's at).
Pagz
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: April 02, 2016, 07:52:34 PM

Quote from: ToadyOne
I believe the talk gets put on gdcvault.com after a bit, though probably behind a paywall.  Hopefully it won't take forever to get the myth stuff in the game (whatever I'm working on now -> 64 bit test -> artifacts / myths/ magic in some set of releases), and actually having it in the game should be better than the talk.
So by the looks of it I estimate it will take at least six months before it'll be released in any form that I'd be happy with starting a new world. Let's take bets to see how far off I am! Supposedly a lot of that stuff on his list is already done bar the 64 bit stuff, so it couldn't possibly take that long... right guys? Ah well, I've waited this long, what's another few years?

Edit: An example of the myth generator:
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 08:08:51 PM by Pagz »
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  The f13 Radicalthon  |  Topic: Dwarf Fortress: F13 Succession  
Jump to: