Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:58:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Art Thread (NSFW) 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Art Thread (NSFW)  (Read 198177 times)
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #455 on: October 04, 2018, 02:42:39 PM

Latest.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #456 on: October 17, 2018, 07:31:44 PM

New model is awesome. The hair is already as much fun as I'd hoped. Oil on canvas, 16x20.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #457 on: November 14, 2018, 07:21:41 AM

I missed your latest post above, Sky.  She looks like a fun model to draw, any updates?

I haven't been doing much seriously. Started working on my postcard for the 2019 Twitter Art Exhibit and it didn't get off to a good start.  I found out my "Waterproof India Ink" wasn't.  Started to bleed as soon as I began to apply watercolor over the lines (usually I go ink over watercolor).

And this was the other of my possible TAE2019 entries.  Since I couldn't paint over the lines, I painted around them instead.  I don't like it but it's gotten positive responses.  Go figure.

And some lunchtime fun with pens and highlighters.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #458 on: November 14, 2018, 08:50:53 AM

Maybe a fixative followed by some clear gesso? Looks cool, though! Happy accidents!

I did one more session on the portrait, but haven't been since. Model was out two weeks and then the fatigue from work kicked in hard. I should be recovered by next week, but that only leaves two or three sessions after the holiday. My plan is to take some pics with the good camera and maybe play around with charcoals or something.

I may also take next semester off, I've been taking the class since January of 2016. I'm hoping to focus on color recognition and paint mixing, since those two things get more frustrating each semester, instead of easier.

All I've been doing lately is some unserious figure drawing, since we're running sessions here now and I'm a facilitator. Hard to get any serious drawing done when I'm facilitating, since I can't get into flow at all. On the nights the other kid facilitates (about every other), I can get into flow...but then my lack of skills rears its head. So I just keep it loose and informal and I'm not worrying about producing anything good, just playing around with ideas. That's been fun, so I'm sticking with that until I get in some more study on figure (my focus next year).

That's her elbow in the first gesture (fiancee thought she had weird boobs, heh). These are 3, 5 and 10 minute. I like the 10 minute, actually (the one with values roughed in).
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #459 on: December 11, 2018, 11:10:31 AM

Something new and a bit of a new look.  I was originally planning to just do the two center lines and then add ink lines over that, but I liked how it looked and expanded on that idea somewhere.  Need to flatten it out once I take it off the board. The tape didn't hold as well as it should have this time around.

Revisiting the non-waterproof waterproof ink issue - it does become waterproof.... if I let it dry for long enough.  Which means longer than a day at minimum.  I was using that ruined section of paper to do some testing and got water on the old lines and they were fine, so it just means if I want to do color over ink again, I just need to plan it out for longer thank usual.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #460 on: December 12, 2018, 06:38:33 AM

That's a cool technique, I like it!

I've been slowly getting back into drawing, wish I could retire tomorrow. Seems like work gets needier every year.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #461 on: December 18, 2018, 09:20:10 AM

On a whim, I decided to make little holiday cards for the co-workers and give these along with a small stocking and some chocolates.  Cards are only 3" x 4.5" so about index card size.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #462 on: January 13, 2019, 06:23:01 PM

Anyways, just submitted this for an art show "Women's Work 2019" that's held in the town next door.  I submitted something last year, too, but didn't get accepted.  New entry for this year.

"The Red Ribbon of Fate"
8 x 10, watercolor and ink

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #463 on: January 14, 2019, 07:31:10 AM

Good luck, RF!

I'm starting to hit figure drawing more regularly, though I'm mostly doing some gestures during short pose then I switch to portrait for longer poses. I just lack the training to do too much more, which I hope to remedy this year. The chick who is supposed to be running it has basically ditched for no reason. This session I ran across the street to grab a coffee for the model and the girl who is supposed to be running it was there with her friends....drawing. What the fuck. I told the gallery owner, so we'll be revamping the sessions the way I want them next season (we had set it up per her schedule). I really dislike irresponsible people!

Anyway, here's a 25 minuteish drawing from this past weekend, maybe 18x18 charcoal on newsprint. It's wonky, but less wonky than what I could do in a similar time a couple years ago.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #464 on: January 30, 2019, 07:38:03 AM

Thanks for the good wishes, Sky.  They must have worked:

DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS Heart DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

Anyways!  That's pretty dang good for a quick sketch.  You have plenty of detail but there's still some roughness to it.  There seems to be something out of balance between the two sides of the face, nothing major though.  Maybe the eyebrow is throwing me off.  Also, his adam's apple seems a bit high to me, I thought they were a bit lower to the middle of the neck more.

Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #465 on: January 30, 2019, 10:45:15 AM

That's awesome news, congrats! Well deserved.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #466 on: January 30, 2019, 12:05:40 PM

Thank you Rhyssa!  Heart Heart

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #467 on: January 30, 2019, 12:58:46 PM

Awesome, congrats!

Making some small progress with figure drawing, it's going to be a long road before I get good!

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #468 on: January 31, 2019, 06:48:01 AM

Thank you Rhyssa!  Heart Heart

You're welcome! That doesn't look too bad at all. :D

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #469 on: January 31, 2019, 07:32:33 AM

A random page from my small sketchbook I keep by my recliner.

Hands are from the pictured book, from the Repin Academy in St Petersburg. Arm abstraction and simplification from another book, the eye was from memory of a cool angle I saw on tv.

Crappy ballpoint, 5.5 x 8.5
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #470 on: February 04, 2019, 09:09:43 AM

The artwork I purchased in East Moline finally arrived.  We had to wait for the exhibition end date for it to be available for shipping, and then for my lazy ass to actually hang the paintings...

Quad City Arts in Rock Island has a small gallery in the Quad City Airport, and while passing through around 10pm on the way to my parent's house one of the vases on display caught my eye.  The first thing that popped into my head was "wow, they really nailed the look of wood with that ceramic."

Turned out it was wood  Ohhhhh, I see.  But that didn't make me like it any less.  I don't have the equipment or raw wood stock to turn out something like this, and even if I did it's really easy to fuck up.

That's turned out of a white oak burl by a guy named Steve Shippey through the Quad City Wood Turners

While I was browsing the woodwork, my wife picked out a couple of acrylics by Iowa artist Sri Rao

I don't have closeup photos of either handy but they could be located on her website.

Landscapes of the Midswestern US may not be your thing, but we were visiting my parents at a bad time and for an unhappy reason, and they managed to cheer us up.  My parents are also both from the midwest (mom was born in Missouri, Dad in Kansas) and since Mom passed at the end of November it just feels right.

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #471 on: February 04, 2019, 09:31:57 AM

This year is going to have a lot of bewb and peen. First up is a 15 minute 12x16 charcoal on newsprint.

And then a loose portrait, 30 minute pose 18x24 charcoal on newsprint. I was trying a new loose charcoal method that was really enjoyable. After I blocked in tonal areas with the side of a charcoal stick, I should've taken a picture because it was abstract and really cool. I probably could've sold that 3 minute sketch through my associate's gallery (it's mostly abstract 20th century style stuff).

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #472 on: February 05, 2019, 06:15:17 AM

That vase is gorgeous, Polysorbate.  I'll definitely have to check out the website because I love looking at turned wood items like that.  I follow a wood turner artist on FB and some of the bowls he does are just gorgeous. He uses colored woods too and it's just cool. BwA Woodturning - FB page.  I realy like the color pallette in those paintings, too.  It's realistic but nice and brightly non-real at the same time, if that makes sense.

Sky - I like how the details seem to emerge from the more vague blocks of black in the portrait.  Especially how the hand looks there.  If goes from a rough black to a smoother and refined hand.  It's good.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #473 on: February 05, 2019, 04:16:49 PM

Sky - I like how the details seem to emerge from the more vague blocks of black in the portrait.  Especially how the hand looks there.  If goes from a rough black to a smoother and refined hand.  It's good.
Thanks! I'm studying both the loose Chinese/SF style and the tighter academic style and trying to incorporate the best of both.

This is not an easy task.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #474 on: February 26, 2019, 08:25:45 PM

Tonight I began my journey to learn color. Makin' strips and chips.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #475 on: March 09, 2019, 11:30:49 AM

45 minute pose, charcoal 18x24

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #476 on: March 15, 2019, 10:23:55 PM

50 minute pose. Charcoal 18x24.

40 minute pose. Charcoal 12x18.

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #477 on: March 18, 2019, 11:19:03 AM

This is NSFW so I don't want to put it in the photography thread. I don't think it fits the T&A thread though.

I've been experimenting with cyanotype prints. You coat watercolour paper with potassium cyanide mixed with ferric ammonium citrate and let it dry. Then you place a negative on it, weigh it down with a sheet of glass and leave it in the sun for half an hour or so to develop. Wash the paper in boiling water and hydrogen peroxide, and that washes away the excess and fixes the image.

I make A4 sized negatives by inverting a monochrome photo in photoshop and then printing it onto transparent film.

This is my best one so far.

Cyanotype001.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 06:16:13 AM by IainC »

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #478 on: March 19, 2019, 07:16:25 AM

That's amazing! Straight into my Compton inspiration/reference folder  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #479 on: March 19, 2019, 09:16:38 AM

That is really nice, Iain!  I haven't heard of the process before (and now I think I'd like to try it) but the image turned out very nice.  Great pose.

Sky - nice quick pose studies there in charcoal.  The second one looks a bit more liney without as much blending and smoothing, but that's likely a result of the amount of time you had to work with.

I've managed to put together a postcard for Twitter Art Exhibit 2019 and sent it off to Scotland.  Hoping it gets there by 12-April considering I sent it off on 16-March.  A month should be enough time, right?  I kind of understand but I don't why the bendability of my item determines if it goes as a letter or a package.  I mean, I don't want it to be bent (postcard art, after all) but it's a half-letter sized envelope with a piece of cardboard in it so you don't bend it.  How does that make it a package?  Also, trying to fill out a Scottish address using a form set up for US addresses was all kinds of mind-bending convoluted, lol.

Other than the art show opening, I've done fuck all related to art lately.  Oh, wait.  I put all my smaller loose pieces into a box so they weren't scattered around.  Does that count for anything?

Oh, link to the gallery post about the show, with some photos.  My painting is in the fifth image, lower right in a white frame.

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #480 on: March 20, 2019, 08:37:47 AM

Thanks, here are the two other successful attempts so far. I will be doing a few more at the weekend (it's dark when I get home from work, so I only get to make one a day in the morning before work during the week).

Cyanotype003.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Cyanotype002.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #481 on: April 19, 2019, 09:09:19 AM

Cthulu

So this just took Outstanding Portrait in a larger regional exhibition. Pretty cool.

Though it's not exactly placing (=real money, 4-5 figures) or putting me into the Master category for next year or anything, I think there's some money attached and more importantly it's a nice introduction to a larger regional group of artists and collectors.

I should have this year's piece done by the end of next week...since it's going into our 60th anniversary show. Unless the local art center un-fucks itself and announces the regional show I won last year. They kicked our art association out after 50ish years and were surprised by the vacuum of artists and volunteers afterwards, heh. I prioritize shows that have a potential of giving me money  why so serious?

Maybe sticking with portraits in a region with few portraitists (and no ateliers) is a good idea...
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #482 on: April 19, 2019, 09:14:55 AM

Woo!  That's excellent news, Sky.  Congrats on the win/recognition.

Show my painting was in closed last weekend, so tomorrow I'm going to drive over to pick it up.  I assume it's there waiting since I didn't get any sort of notice that it was sold.

I've been creatively empty for a while now.  Part of me wants to try acrylics and part of me wants to keep playing with watercolors and part of me (which is winning right now) doesn't really give a damn either way and therefore does nothing.  Maybe this weekend.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #483 on: April 19, 2019, 11:24:12 AM

I'm just coming out of a really long stretch of non-creativity or really any desire to draw, started around September of last year. It was quite a bummer, like 25% or so of the time I've been doing art! But as I feel my motivation and excitement rising (then bolstered by the award at the View), it's affirmed that I'm going in the right direction by continuing to focus on portrait, rather than push myself into figure this year.

I also taught a little bit this week, when I dropped into my mentor's portrait class she had me take over with a new student. That was so brutal, but great to open the eyes as to what I know and can relate to others.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #484 on: April 19, 2019, 05:15:33 PM

That’s so awesome Sky. Must be a great feeling.

Dry spells are common. I went 18 months unable to get any engines built and now I’m doing 2, so it’s definitely a common thing.
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #485 on: April 19, 2019, 08:29:01 PM

Nice work Sky!
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #486 on: April 20, 2019, 12:58:11 AM

Congrats dude! It really is a great piece of work.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #487 on: April 27, 2019, 08:54:44 PM

Someone from out art assoc was at the gallery I mentioned and apparently the director and curator were both talking about me with her. My goal was to use this as an introduction to a wider regional set of artists, so, uh, mission accomplished.

Anyway, I'll have a new gallery charcoal portrait to share next week. In the meantime, here's my first homework assignment from yet another head drawing course I'm taking.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #488 on: May 03, 2019, 08:42:10 AM

Here's my current gallery season piece. I won a small community award, the judge for the exhibit was a modernist and 2 of the 4 drawings that won were...bad. *shrug* part of the game, Not even mad because of what I was talking about previously, the mis-managed gallery did not unfuck itself.

Self Portrait
Charcoal on paper
18x24

Here's a cool little study I did with some alternate reference from my current head drawing course. Mostly trying to learn the capabilities of the Wolff 6B pencil (I only broke 2) and practice hair design. So it's a bit sloppy but I like it.

Study of ChristinaB
Charcoal on newsprint
18x24

As an aside, using both my cell phone and camera to take pics of charcoal portraits has shown me a lot about how much cell phone cameras fuck with images. It's almost impossible to get a decent pic of this stuff with a cell phone. It's like a funhouse mirror with no nuance, all the subtle tones are lost, way more paper white reflected back than in person.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #489 on: May 04, 2019, 08:11:24 PM

Another portrait study for class.

Charcoal on newsprint
18x24
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Art Thread (NSFW)  
Jump to: