Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2019, 06:08:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
Donate! | Shop: Amazon
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Index/Oculus/Vive/PSVR 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Index/Oculus/Vive/PSVR  (Read 61788 times)
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #525 on: August 20, 2019, 02:43:14 AM

Just make sure you understand what you are getting.  Quest does not play many (most?) of the most compelling stuff as far as I understand, and the stuff that it does play it does so at a serious graphical compromise (and even great VR is a graphical compromise).

Might still totally be worth it.  I can see the appeal of a self-contained system like that.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #526 on: August 20, 2019, 03:27:06 AM

This post sold me.

I set ALVR to 150% scale and 80 mbps. The game looks phenomenal on the Quest, and I had very few frame drops. I might play this way from now on rather than using my Rift, as everything is much clearer! (Edit: Sound gets out of sync on this video, but it was perfect when playing live)
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #527 on: August 20, 2019, 04:27:41 AM

But you do understand what ALVR, yes?  The only way you can play any intensive game on the Quest is by using ALVR.  This is just video streaming, essentially.  You still need a monster PC.  I would think the main benefit would be that you are untethered.  The drawbacks, on the other hand, are significant....a bit of latency being one, and definitely some poorer visuals.  Poorer tracking.  And so on.  For the total cost of ownership, I cannot imagine why anyone would go with that setup.  

That said, money is an issue to be considered.  Hard to define what "value" is from one person to the next.

Edit:  I feel I should also add:  The idea of streaming it is fucking amazing, but that will make more sense when you can buy a service and not have to have your own machine.  If you are going to be forced to have a high end machine anyway, may as well go whole hog.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 07:10:40 AM by Cyrrex »

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #528 on: August 23, 2019, 11:29:02 AM

Out of absolutely nowhere comes Westworld Awakening.

Yeah, that Westworld.  Instant buy.  I won't say much or give much away at this point, nor do I have an opinion of the game as such after 15 minutes, but......graphically incredible.  Runs like a dream, and holy shit does it look the business.  From a realism standpoint, by far the best looking VR game.  The facial animations are absurd.

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Index/Oculus/Vive/PSVR  
Jump to: