Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:28:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Index/Oculus/Vive/PSVR 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Index/Oculus/Vive/PSVR  (Read 213686 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #315 on: July 11, 2017, 12:00:31 PM

I have to agree with schild on this one. I've tried to shop through Amazon's Prime Day deals and it's fucking awful. Shit is just categorized so broadly and inconsistently that things end up in multiple places and there's no real rhyme or reason for it. It's like trying to window shop from the subway while on acid and meth.

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #316 on: July 11, 2017, 12:13:39 PM

I guess I don't understand either of you.

You literally select "Prime Day" from the search bar category filter and just put in a keyword of things you'd like to buy.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #317 on: July 11, 2017, 12:27:41 PM

Amazon's UX designers are fucking muppets who are either forced to skullfuck every customer with as many cross sell opportunities as possible by the marketing dicks, or they are just literally incapable of understand how the human eye processes information. Even their search results are shit, not only because their database guys also are huffing the paint of too much cross sell, or again, because they just can't understand how normal humans process information. It's absolute overload on every single screen they have.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #318 on: July 11, 2017, 02:55:15 PM

The three things I found were either priced less elsewhere or inferior and I put the better version on my wishlist.

So far I've bought one book with the -$5 code (PRIMEBOOKS17).
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #319 on: August 02, 2017, 03:18:29 PM

RoboRecall is hard. 
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #320 on: August 02, 2017, 04:14:34 PM

RoboRecall is hard. 

RoboRecall is fucking awesome.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #321 on: August 03, 2017, 10:06:26 PM

Oh fuck.

Echo Arena is awesome too.  Matchmaking sucks but I suspect because there are like 100 people playing at this time of night.

Essentially I spent an hour playing this:

All the social stuff has been amazing so far.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 11:02:03 AM by MrHat »
CaptainNapkin
Terracotta Army

Once split a 12.5lb burger with a friend.

Reply #322 on: August 11, 2017, 11:40:10 AM

Since getting my Rift I have completely gone down the rathole of VR. No longer touch my Xbox One. Upgraded the shit out of my PC. Picked up a wheel and pedals. Got myself an Obutto Ozone gaming cockpit. Signed up for iRacing. Between iRacing and Elite Dangerous (and the various other vr distractions), I barely come up for air. The only non-vr games I play at this point are PUBG and Dark & Light with friends. I'm actually considering selling a bass to buy a full motion sim rig. Don't send help, I don't want it!
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #323 on: August 11, 2017, 12:31:53 PM

Since getting my Rift I have completely gone down the rathole of VR. No longer touch my Xbox One. Upgraded the shit out of my PC. Picked up a wheel and pedals. Got myself an Obutto Ozone gaming cockpit. Signed up for iRacing. Between iRacing and Elite Dangerous (and the various other vr distractions), I barely come up for air. The only non-vr games I play at this point are PUBG and Dark & Light with friends. I'm actually considering selling a bass to buy a full motion sim rig. Don't send help, I don't want it!

As a fellow driving sim enthusiast, what wheel are you using?

Do you like VR better than a 3 screen setup? 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #324 on: August 11, 2017, 12:45:18 PM

More importantly, how much for what kind of bass? :p

(jk, I just bought an awesome bass recently)
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #325 on: August 12, 2017, 01:22:48 AM

I know this was directed at CaptainNoisy, but what do you mean with this question, maybe I misunderstand?  Because aside from lower graphical fidelity, VR would be better than a 20 screen setup.  I don't do the driving sims right now because I do not have the right setup for it, but assuming we can use space sims as a comparison...I mean, it is apples and watermelons.  In the one scenario, you are removed from the experience and watching your actions mirrored on a two dimensional screen, but are ultimately disconnected from the experience.  In the other, you feel like you are actually in a spaceship flying through space.  It is not just an interesting gimmick, when done right is a profoundly different experience altogether.  

I don't spend as much time in this thread gushing as I could do, mainly because I'm not sure the audience here is so receptive towards it.  But I am, like CN, fully down the rathole.  I will never come out of it.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #326 on: August 12, 2017, 08:29:54 AM

I get it, for sure. Even the 3d Vision glasses I used a few years back elevated the experience in a game that was conducive to them. Something like Tomb Raider, where you had a lot of 3d puzzles and were looking for ledges, or hanging off a cliff looking around...just amazing. I'm sure it's even better when you make the next progression of immersion.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #327 on: August 12, 2017, 10:50:38 AM

You might recall I was on that same 3D Vision wave right along with you.  While fun, it was pretty gimmicky and pretty easy to put down and ultimately to drop entirely.  VR is really orders of magnitude of a leap beyond that.  I know with certainty that I will never drop it, at least so long as my vision and body allow me to use it.  Two of my kids are irrecoverably hooked as well. And this is first gen?  Shiiiiiiiit.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #328 on: August 13, 2017, 03:55:14 AM

Got "ReVive" working today, which is an advanced steam VR mod that lets you download titles from the Oculus store and play them through steam and on the Vive.  Downloaded Echo Arena.  Wooooooah.  And for free?  Woah.  Was only in for a short burst and can feel i will have to get my Zero G legs up to snuff....but damn.  So trippy.  And so polished.  ReVive software works great as well, so that's pretty exciting, too.

CaptainNapkin
Terracotta Army

Reply #329 on: August 14, 2017, 07:54:26 AM

I have been out of the driving sim space for many years, so I decided to jump back in at reasonable cost until I knew if I'd stick with it. So with that I picked up the Thrustmaster TMX (same as T150 except PC and Xbox compatibility rather than PS4, because I also have an Xbox and Horizon 3, which I'll probably never touch again). It's only a 2 pedal setup but I'm ok with paddle shifting and no auto clutch for now at least. I like sim physics and realism but the lack of clutch isn't going to make or break the experience for me. So that said, and not having a ffb wheel for a few years, it's works perfectly for me. You can replace the pedals with the better version down the road on this model if you want and add a proper shifter too, it only lacks the ability to change out the wheel that you can do with the higher end versions. And this model gets you a mid range wheel setup for under $200.

I was not running a 3 screen rig so no direct comparison. My flat screen rig is a projector and 115" screen roughly. But my feeling is along the lines of Cyrrex's comments... the immersion is just fantastic. Here's a pic of the Ozone immediately after setting it up and before trying it with VR. So yeah I never had the left/right views before VR.

I'm running a gtx1080 and by default bump screen sampling to 1.5 through the Oculus Tray Tool, with that the graphics in iRacing are sharper and better looking than many other VR games I've played. Truly impressed with the quality in VR. I'm also not a brand fanboy, so I think Oculus or Vive platform will give equal experience, but with the current sale price on Oculus if you don't already have a headset it's a good choice right now. I'm totally happy with the Rift and have used Vive and loved them both. I do like the Rift's built in headphones but have not yet tried the new Vive headphone/headband thing.

Also worth noting on driving game front is Dirt Rally... which is so immersive it's near vomit inducing until you acclimate.

More importantly, how much for what kind of bass? :p
Original pre-Gibson Tobias Basic 5 in Birdseye Maple that I bought new way back when. Serial# in the 100's. If I decide to sell I'd figure a price but my wife is convincing me to not sell it since I really don't need the cash is more of a 'not feel guilty about what I spend on gaming' thing. She's a beauty.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #330 on: August 14, 2017, 08:19:09 AM

Nice bass! I hear you on the wife thing, I love hearing her say 'well, we're not destitute' when I start griping about hobby outlays (my PC has been a little needy, lately, new PSU, UPS and now the lamp for the tv, I'm at $500 without any fun toy factor, wah).

edited to add: Budget won't recover enough to take advantage of that Rift sale, and I think I'd go with the Vive, anyway (makes sense to me, since I primarily game via Steam). Might have to sit this out until the next gen hardware is released. I did see a video of GTA V VR mod, but as amazing as it looked, we're still pretty far into janky implementation mode (teleport movement, cobbled together decouple, etc).

Really looking forward into putting my toe in the pond when the timing is right, though. Almost threw out an old joystick, but maybe I'll keep it in the basement...just in case...
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 09:20:51 AM by Sky »
CaptainNapkin
Terracotta Army

Reply #331 on: August 14, 2017, 11:10:44 AM

As info, I haven't run into a Steam VR game that gave me any trouble running on Rift. And they recently made it easier in that if you launch any VR game/app outside of Oculus Home (name of their app) it automatically adds a quick launch icon to Oculus Home interface. So basically I no longer need to launch SteamVR then the game, I just launch the Steam game directly. Don't know details, but from the other side there is ReVive which lets Vive folks play all the Oculus Home stuff. So as far as I know, the 'locked to specific platform' is just what the masses think due to marketing, but it doesn't matter so much in the end. Pretty sure you can buy either platform with piece of mind you won't be limited to what you can play.

*edit to say - The Solus Project does crash on launch, but I don't think it's really related to the headset since they fully support both. Also, all said and done, waiting for gen 2 or gen 1.5 is also not a bad idea either if you don't need to jump in now. Like anything, this will only get better.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 11:14:53 AM by CaptainNapkin »
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #332 on: August 14, 2017, 01:30:26 PM

The wireless sensors for Vive are awesome though.  It's a bit annoying to run USB cables behind you somehow to get full 360 tracking.

I haven't had any issues with running Steam VR games on Oculus either though.
CaptainNapkin
Terracotta Army

Reply #333 on: August 15, 2017, 07:59:56 AM

I agree with that. I had to pick up long active USB extensions to get the room scale stuff set up. Luckily 2 mount in the front and 1 in the rear so it's only 1 extra ugly cable. I suppose the flip side is I don't need to worry about where my power outlets are. But yeah, I cannot wait for the tech to advance to wireless. I think it needs to be wireless to really accelerate the adoption rate. It only takes me a minute or 2 to switch cabling between my flat and VR setups, add another 2 minutes to put my contact lenses in because it's way more comfy than wearing glasses.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #334 on: August 15, 2017, 09:28:42 AM

PSA: try it at least once without lenses or glasses.  Depending on your particular issues, it may still be sharp enough for you.  I am -2.5 in both eyes, and I would call it playable (though short of perfect) with no lenses of any kind.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #335 on: August 15, 2017, 10:40:37 AM

I have microscopic vision out to about 8 inches (can see things magnified, it's how I can paint minis without magnification!), so I think I'm well suited to this tech.
CaptainNapkin
Terracotta Army

Reply #336 on: August 15, 2017, 12:30:15 PM

I tried it without. Rift was no go, Vive was better results. My eyes are bad, I actually wear progressives for glasses but picked up a supply of standard contacts just for Rift usage. I don't mind popping them in, I just hate wearing them all day. Good suggestion though I see lots of folks reporting they are fine without prescription in VR but such is my luck.
CaptainNapkin
Terracotta Army

Reply #337 on: December 28, 2017, 08:04:40 PM

And just when I though I'd finally sworn off MMO's for good, along comes OrbusVR. No, this is not any AAA mmo, not even close. But I bought it on a whim last night, started playing today and already have 5 hours into it. I have a feeling I'll be reminiscing about this one in 10-20 years. It's early access, and whether it's worth $40 for you I can't say, but it seems so for me.

Also, Fallout 4 VR (on Rift) is awesome. I really wish I passed on this when it came out and was experiencing it for the first time. Oh well, still fun.

I'm burning unused vacation so I've been getting my VR on more than usual.
  • Finished Lone Echo, which is hands down my best VR experience yet. Loved it. Even had a hair-standing-up-goosebumps moment for me at the end.
  • Soundboxing is fun when I want to work up a sweat while rockin out some tunes.
  • Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes proved to be an awesome VR party game
  • Onward is incredible fun but I'm good for 2 rounds before needing a break or I'm green for the rest of the day. Feel like it's getting better though the more I play.
  • Had to try VRChat because of all these wacky videos floating around. Went in, was impressed with how it's built during the tutorial bits... then joined the Hub... freaked me out more than Second Life did. Not sure I'll do that again.
  • Of course still Elite Dangerous and iRacing because they are incredible with VR

Still a full week left before I go back to work, the sales haven't ended yet, and I am weak (downloaded I Expect You to Die as I typed this, for only 5 bucks)

What have the rest of you folks with VR been playing lately?
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #338 on: December 29, 2017, 03:27:36 AM

I am playing Fallout 4 VR.  It is simply astounding.

If I can be so bold to suggest, get yourself Nexus and download the all-in-on texture mod.  Great performance and visual boost, I finally have it to where it is what I would call 'acceptable' in terms of fidelity and performance, even though it is reprojecting like a mother.

Also...the lightsaber mod.  Holy mother of crap.

CaptainNapkin
Terracotta Army

Reply #339 on: December 29, 2017, 08:18:56 AM

Haven't tried mods with it yet, just did all the config tweaks.

So something like Vivid Fallout for the textures?
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #340 on: December 29, 2017, 08:25:51 AM

I got a Vive for Christmas, but I passed on free Fallout 4 download. Might have to see if I can get that back ..

Getting E:D set up for VR is a bit of a pain in the ass, still trying to get VoiceAttack to work consistently.

- Viin
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #341 on: December 30, 2017, 12:20:14 AM

Haven't tried mods with it yet, just did all the config tweaks.

So something like Vivid Fallout for the textures?

Yes, exactly.  Once you have that one running, experiment with turning "taa off" in the console.  You get jaggies, but the fidelity improves a ton.  If you can then turn supersampling up far enough, you get rid of the worst of it...Anyway, I have managed to find a sweet spot where it looks nice and is relatively smooth, even with tons of reprojection.

And then the lightsaber.  I have been waiting for exactly this for 35 years. 

CaptainNapkin
Terracotta Army

Reply #342 on: December 30, 2017, 06:21:57 AM

I did tweak the hell out of the configs and have it running pretty well. The Vivid retexture looks pretty good, thanks for the tip. I guess I'll have try the light saber mod but I normally just go for "immersive" stuff. Are you using the Lighsaber Renew one that is simpler, older, and has more downloads? Or the newer Star Wars - The Light Saber that lets you customize the sabers and stuff? I'm guessing the latter?

I have this running so well now I want to be super careful and picky with the mods I add. That said I'm spending my morning coffee time researching some of the settlement mods since I think expanding on the crafting and settlement stuff could be pretty intersting in VR.

Getting E:D set up for VR is a bit of a pain in the ass, still trying to get VoiceAttack to work consistently.
Just having VoiceAttack setup issues or something with running the game itself? I bought VoiceAttack to use for E:D but haven't bothered configuring it yet honestly. I first played the game on Xbox and since I was so used to a controller I just continue to play that way which gives me all the buttons I need outside of typing to search for systems.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 06:33:54 AM by CaptainNapkin »
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #343 on: December 30, 2017, 08:20:56 AM

Yeah, the latter one.  It is cool as hell, but I had to cheat in order to get the Science skills for crafting. I am tempted to restart the game, up the difficulty and then just do a lightsaber run. 

I am also being choosy with the mods, don't want to mess up performance.  I think there is a list out there with the best vr mods.

CaptainNapkin
Terracotta Army

Reply #344 on: December 30, 2017, 01:44:18 PM

I spent the morning researching mods I wanted and that others said would work well without impacting performance. These mods make the game absolutely stunning. I think I'm also going to restart since I put nothing into Strength but I think the perks for weapon bashing and hip fire accuracy will be huge the way I'm playing currently. Even though I tweaked VATS I'm on the fence with how it's working.

Mod list in no particular order:
  • Darker Nights
  • Homemaker - Expanded Settlements
  • Interiors Enhanced - Darker Ambient Light and Fog
  • Realistic Ragdoll Force
  • Star Wars - The Light Saber
  • True Storms: Wasteland Edition
  • Vivid Fallout - All In One

Very happy with performance and visuals, so I'm good with this list. Time to dig in and just play.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #345 on: December 30, 2017, 07:56:14 PM

Just having VoiceAttack setup issues or something with running the game itself? I bought VoiceAttack to use for E:D but haven't bothered configuring it yet honestly. I first played the game on Xbox and since I was so used to a controller I just continue to play that way which gives me all the buttons I need outside of typing to search for systems.

Honestly, I think I'm just trying to do too much at once. Training it to your voice is a bit of a pain, then remembering what all the commands are .. I can't easily look at the manual of commands when in VR goggles, so I basically made it hard for myself. That, coupled with the fact that my HOTAS setup has lost it's key bindings in ED, has me annoyed - if I wasn't so impatient it wouldn't be a problem!  Ohhhhh, I see.

- Viin
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #346 on: January 01, 2018, 09:30:55 AM

I was on the fence about VR, but MS selling headsets for $200 including motion controllers last month got me to jump.  So far, I've played Arizona Sunshine, Everspace, Job Sim, The Lab and UltraWings, along with some odd stuff from the Windows Store.  I've heard that the WMR implementation for Fallout 4 VR is still a bit wonky, so I'm holding off until it improves, but everything I've tried from Steam has worked well so far.  Probably picking up E:D when I can settle on a HOTAS and GORN looks like retarded fun.

I have to say that for a budget headset built to a price point, Microsoft and their partners really nailed it.  Both the controller and headset tracking are really damned good as long as you have a well-lit play space, and not having to set up additional 'outside-in' tracking crap in the room is great, particularly when you want to take it with you to show friends.  One cable with a single USB3 and HDMI and about five minutes of one-time setup and you're off to the races.  I also like that it uses a 'headband' style arrangement similar to PSVR and that it flips up, so it's lightweight, comfortable and works well with glasses.

While MS's sale is over, WMR headsets with controllers are still pretty cheap on Amazon:

HP for $226

Acer for $226

Dell for $237

Lenovo for $264
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 09:53:58 AM by MisterNoisy »

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
jth
Terracotta Army

Reply #347 on: April 04, 2018, 08:42:39 AM

So, Skyrim VR (PC) is out. Spent most of yesterday playing Skyrim modding.

It seems to be compatible out of the box with pretty much all Skyrim SE mods which don't require SKSE (SKSE support for Skyrim VR is unlikely to happen), only exceptions are those that mess with the UI like Alternate Start (it'll still work with console commands though) and those which involve player character animations/movement (as there's no 3rd person player character). I currently have 50+ mods installed with no issues, even some Oldrim mods work. NMM works but needs some extra steps in installation and one manual file copy after each time you have made changes.

Performance seems to be surprisingly good, with my old trusty i7-2600K and GTX1070oc, I can run it at maximum settings with all the essential HD texture/lighting/graphics mods without any noticeable lag.

And it's pretty damn incredible visually, especially in nighttime once you have your lighting and weather mods set up. UI controls are slightly odd but not too hard to get used to. Melee and magic work pretty good with the Touch controllers, haven't tried archery yet but some people seem to love it, some not so much, I'll test it tonight. I don't get motion sickness so I'm using full locomotion with the comfort options turned off.

I can see this game eating up most of my free time for the next several months.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #348 on: April 04, 2018, 09:56:47 AM

Haven't tried any mods yet, but yeah...they did a nice job with this one.  Surprisingly good on day one without any real fiddling.  Finding that it is a bit tough of my stomach, probably because I have not been in VR enough lately.  Will have to ease my way into it.

CaptainNapkin
Terracotta Army

Reply #349 on: April 05, 2018, 05:57:01 PM

Agree they did a good job, runs great and controls great. I got exactly what I expected with this title, even better as I wasn't holding my breath for well done Rift support. Skyrim is one of my all time favorites and to play it in VR is incredible.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Index/Oculus/Vive/PSVR  
Jump to: