Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:06:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Index/Oculus/Vive/PSVR 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Index/Oculus/Vive/PSVR  (Read 213444 times)
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #525 on: August 20, 2019, 12:43:14 AM

Just make sure you understand what you are getting.  Quest does not play many (most?) of the most compelling stuff as far as I understand, and the stuff that it does play it does so at a serious graphical compromise (and even great VR is a graphical compromise).

Might still totally be worth it.  I can see the appeal of a self-contained system like that.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #526 on: August 20, 2019, 01:27:06 AM

This post sold me.

I set ALVR to 150% scale and 80 mbps. The game looks phenomenal on the Quest, and I had very few frame drops. I might play this way from now on rather than using my Rift, as everything is much clearer! (Edit: Sound gets out of sync on this video, but it was perfect when playing live)
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #527 on: August 20, 2019, 02:27:41 AM

But you do understand what ALVR, yes?  The only way you can play any intensive game on the Quest is by using ALVR.  This is just video streaming, essentially.  You still need a monster PC.  I would think the main benefit would be that you are untethered.  The drawbacks, on the other hand, are significant....a bit of latency being one, and definitely some poorer visuals.  Poorer tracking.  And so on.  For the total cost of ownership, I cannot imagine why anyone would go with that setup.  

That said, money is an issue to be considered.  Hard to define what "value" is from one person to the next.

Edit:  I feel I should also add:  The idea of streaming it is fucking amazing, but that will make more sense when you can buy a service and not have to have your own machine.  If you are going to be forced to have a high end machine anyway, may as well go whole hog.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 05:10:40 AM by Cyrrex »

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #528 on: August 23, 2019, 09:29:02 AM

Out of absolutely nowhere comes Westworld Awakening.

Yeah, that Westworld.  Instant buy.  I won't say much or give much away at this point, nor do I have an opinion of the game as such after 15 minutes, but......graphically incredible.  Runs like a dream, and holy shit does it look the business.  From a realism standpoint, by far the best looking VR game.  The facial animations are absurd.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #529 on: October 12, 2019, 05:00:15 AM

I have been away from VR for a bunch of weeks, but can confirm that the Westworld game is pretty cool.  I have only barely scratched the surface of it, however.

On the other hand, a new Oculus exclusive came out, called Asgaard’s Wrath.  Despite being an exclusive, there is software out there that let’s you play virtually any of the games on the Oculus store (ReVive).  Now this is some real AAA stuff, probably the first truly epic feeling built-from-ground-up VR game of this type.  It will get Skyrim comparisons due to the setting and the epic nature of it, but that feels like the wrong comparison.  This is actual Nordic mythology....you play a fledgling god who can take over the bodies of various heroes.  You can also switch to god-form on the fly and manipulate your tiny minions and stuff.  The opening battle scene has you wading amongst the ruins of a ship fleet and fighting the kraken that flings busted up ships at you.  It is pretty fucking awesome.  The melee isn’t the best, but it might not matter.  Word has it that it is a full fledged 20 hour story, with another 20 of sidequests.

I wish it ran better, because I have to pretty much turn everything down in order to keep the resolution acceptable.  God damn my shitty 1080.

cironian
Terracotta Army

play his game!: solarwar.net

Reply #530 on: October 19, 2019, 03:51:47 PM

I wish it ran better, because I have to pretty much turn everything down in order to keep the resolution acceptable.  God damn my shitty 1080.

Works fine on default settings on my 1080 as far as I could tell in the 2 hours I got in. Apart from some choppiness when first loading into a new level. Maybe you're CPU limited or something?
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #531 on: October 20, 2019, 12:11:01 AM

No, I am just picky.  It actually was mostly okay.  I am running it with a i7 9700k, which will probably never be a bottleneck.  Also, running through ReVive probably was losing some frames, at least until the updated version of that.

Anyway, I got myself a 2080 Super card now.  It has made a difference with this game, and it has finally made Fallout 4 run fairly solid for the first time ever.

Of course, because FML, I now appear to have a static/dead pixel in the headset. Ohhhhh, I see.  Have opened a support ticket, not sure what will happen.  Suck.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #532 on: October 23, 2019, 01:56:53 AM

I guess the Borderlands 2 VR release is a debacle thus far, except on Rift S.  Will have to wait and see if they fix shit.

In discussion with Valve about my dead pixel.  Hopefully if I have to do an RMA it won't take too long.  I plugged in my OG Vive the other day just for grins, and OMG I never realized how much of a visual improvement the Index gives, particularly the resolution.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #533 on: October 29, 2019, 04:28:02 AM

Got confirmation that I can do an RMA....both on the headset, and also on both controllers (the early versions suffer from an issue of the thumbsticks not being "clicky" when pushing forward and then downward).

The even better news is that they are going to send me a replacement in advance, as a "customer service gesture", so I won't have to wait for anything, so that's cool.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #534 on: November 19, 2019, 12:34:28 AM

After a bunch of shipping related confusion, I now have a fully RMAed Headset and Controllers.  There are horror stories out there about getting returns done with Valve, but I would say the only hassle I have had is that some of the customer service people are a bit dumb.

Anyway, the upgrade to the 2080 card has put new life into a few things.  Have reinstalled Elite, because now the visuals are near perfect.  And I now have to put Fallout 4 as the best VR game, now that I have the hardware to really run it smoothly.  I have probably said it a million times, but I play the game with a (absolutely perfectly modeled) lightsaber.  Right now trying Maul's double-bladed lightsaber, but I find it is mostly impractical since you have one arm dedicated to your Pip Boy, even if it looks and feels unbelievably cool. 

In more important news!  On Thursday, Valve will be unveiling Half Life: Alyx.  Probably coming out in March-ish.  Seems to be no clear indication as of yet if it will be VR exclusive.  So there you go, one of Valve's promised flagship titles is actually going to be Half Life.  I would make a small wager they are working on L4D and/or Portal as well.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #535 on: November 19, 2019, 08:41:56 AM

I have a dumb question:
Are any of these VR sets limited by software, or can they be expected to run any VR games?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #536 on: November 19, 2019, 09:10:48 AM

I could see Portal being an absolute blast in VR. And not for the faint of heart.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #537 on: November 19, 2019, 10:14:21 AM

I have a dumb question:
Are any of these VR sets limited by software, or can they be expected to run any VR games?

For the most part, where the main players are concerned, yes they can...with caveats.  Steam is an open landscape, so things that go up there generally work with the main headsets.  They do not always offer full controller support, but that is another issue (and can usually be overcome).  Oculus, OTOH, is still technically a walled garden.  But that said, a brilliant bit of software called ReVive generally makes Oculus games playable on any of the main players.

However, it must be noted that some of the cheaper HMDs like the Cosmos and especially the Quest, absolutely do not play all titles.

To be on the safe side, the main players to consider are the Vive and Vive Pro, the Rift and Rift S, and the Index.  Those each have their pluses and minuses relative to each other, but you would be able to count on them being compatible with the things you want to play.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #538 on: November 19, 2019, 01:07:47 PM

Perfect. I even understood that answer.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #539 on: November 20, 2019, 01:24:01 PM

However, it must be noted that some of the cheaper HMDs like the Cosmos and especially the Quest, absolutely do not play all titles.

https://www.oculus.com/blog/play-rift-content-on-quest-with-oculus-link-available-now-in-beta/?locale=en_US

Not strictly true.  New Oculus Link lets you connect your Quest to your PC and play Oculus Rift games and whatever is Oculus Compatible on SteamVR.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #540 on: November 20, 2019, 11:05:32 PM

Ah, cool I guess.  I imagine it will cost a few pennies, but that seems a smart compromise.

Edit to add:  I would still not get a Quest unless money was a major factor.  72hz, lower resolution, battery driven.  And I wonder how much one would even safe if you had to get that Link cable.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 12:14:45 AM by Cyrrex »

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #541 on: November 21, 2019, 08:10:05 AM

I, uh, just want to buy one "thing" and play PC games on it. Any Rube Goldberg contraptions need to be in software.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #542 on: November 21, 2019, 09:35:35 AM

Lol, noob.  You have to consider the differences of each, lest you make a mistake you regret.  Lots of people do that.  Put another way, you have to figure out which bits matter most to you.  Honestly, finding somewhere to test each of them would be ideal.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #543 on: November 21, 2019, 10:05:13 AM

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #544 on: November 21, 2019, 06:26:04 PM

Yeah. And may I say first of all, Fuck you Gabe Newall.

"Everyone at Valve is excited to be returning to the world of Half-Life," Valve founder Gabe Newell said in a statement. “VR has energized us."

Tens of thousands of fans of the games didn't energize you, but VR did? God dammit.

That said, it looks fukin' great, the Gravity Gloves are a great idea, the dialog and music and modeling looks great. Also "can be played sitting, standing, or with "roomscale" movement." Free for Index owners, and extra stuff if you have an Index by the end of the year.

Well, good job Valve, I now have an Index on my Christmas list.

Edit: Also hey Cyrex, how does the Index physically connect to the computer? USB or a network cable?
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #545 on: November 21, 2019, 11:01:31 PM

I get that the masses are going to be pissed of, but frankly, tough shit  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?  You could see this coming from a mile away, and it is never a bad thing with a true AAA killer app comes along to push boundaries, especially hardware boundaries.  This is going to move some units.  Which I think are already on backorder.  Also probably being lost in the shuffle is that they are including mod tools, which probably means the next CounterStrike analog will be coming to VR soon. 

Connectivity is by USB (It might be 3.0, but not sure if that is only for using the camera) and Display Port.  And a power cable, obviously.

Beware the hardware requirements.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #546 on: November 22, 2019, 10:19:13 AM

It's a fucking 1000 dollars, though.

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #547 on: November 22, 2019, 10:41:29 AM

I see it is also compatible with the Rift, which is sub five hundred right now.

Displayport eh? Yeah my machine meets the specs (barely, bout time for an upgrade I guess), but is in another room (about fifty foot total run). I'll need to run some USB amplifying extenders, and I see with a quick web search that Displayport can be extended over Cat5.

I'll also need another cabinet. Sigh.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #548 on: November 22, 2019, 11:17:33 AM

It’s all worth it, dude.

And yeah, it is a 1000 bucks for the top end.  It can be done cheaper.  Knowing what I know....I just wouldn’t go cheaper myself.  But then, I am single and have lots of disposable income. 

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #549 on: November 22, 2019, 11:50:36 AM

That's the thing, going cheaper easily means regretting the purchase, which is still $500. Until the Index I was pretty sure Oculus and Vive were not worth it. So it really feels like it's 1000 or bust, and 1000 is no joke. It's not a whole computer or a cool console, it's just a peripheral. Of course the perception of a price is subjective, I guess I am just resentful cause I won't be playing the new Half Life for a few years more.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #550 on: November 22, 2019, 12:09:30 PM

Technically a peripheral.  In reality, a game changer.  People drop 1000 bucks on TVs like it is nothing.  This is a way better use of 1000 dollars.  I have spent waaaaaaay more than 1000 on all of this from day one and have zero regrets.

Anyway, I will be sure to come back here in March and tell you all about trying to fight head crabs off in Virtual Reality  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #551 on: November 22, 2019, 12:18:32 PM

I agree with the 'buy quality and only cry once' philosophy. For me, it's less the price and more about timing. Getting the tech up to par and then getting the game catalog support.

I'm still ok with sitting on the sidelines for now, but I'll likely rebuild my PC in the next year (Cyberyouknowwhich) or two, and an HMD is on that parts list.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #552 on: November 22, 2019, 02:49:09 PM

You can probably pick up a barely used Vive pretty cheap these days, which, if you have a decent PC, would be a good way to try it out and see if you like the premise. Beatsaber and a few others are actually really good VR experiences (for those that have a VR rig, try Pistol Whip).

- Viin
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #553 on: November 22, 2019, 11:47:10 PM

On the one hand, picking up a used Vive provides a good upgrade path to and Index, because you can essentially just swap out the headset and keep all the other peripherals (controllers and base stations).  On the other hand, the resolution leap to he Index is significant, and that's putting it mildly.  I suppose that is why I recommend seeing if you can find somewhere to give a few of them a try.  For some people, the Vive resolution simply will not satisfy them, so you may be better off in the long run waiting until are ready to go straight to an Index (or whatever else has come along at that point).  On the other other other hand...the Index is going to demand more power from your PC.

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #554 on: November 23, 2019, 08:20:22 AM

The grand for the Index would not be so bad for me, but even as I was kinda joking about the Christmas list, that is an expensive present to ask for -- and it seems kinda gauche to just up and buy it for myself around this time of year.

But.....

I really want it.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #555 on: December 02, 2019, 12:51:53 PM

I reignited the search for a gaming laptop today. Naturally the ones I have opened on Newegg are no longer available. There must be someplace that unsold laptops go to die but I don't know where that is. However -

I looked for VR headsets and got confused again in just 3 minutes. I scrolled back a little here and saw "Vive" so I checked "HTC" manufacturer. The Vive Cosmos has one review of "one egg" so I guess getting something usable for $599 is not going to happen. Unclear if it supports open games or if I have to buy from a store.

I need a refresher, but boil it down. Manufacturer. Un-walled garden. Single-box unit preferred. I don't even mind if it has cables, I'll check that the laptop has a VGA connector. Or parallel port. Whichever.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #556 on: December 02, 2019, 01:13:20 PM

If I get the Oculus, will Zuckerman steal my eyes?

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #557 on: December 02, 2019, 01:51:06 PM

Why not Index?

If price is (understandably) a thing, the Vive Pro is currently $400 off (currently $799): https://www.vive.com/us/product/vive-pro-starter-kit/
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #558 on: December 02, 2019, 02:16:51 PM

The Vive Pro costs more than the Index without the discount? Why? Is it better or even equal?

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #559 on: December 02, 2019, 02:25:50 PM

Presumably the OLED displays are more pricey. Also Valve may be undercutting the price of their hardware, because they can.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 21 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Index/Oculus/Vive/PSVR  
Jump to: