Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:17:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: MST3K (2016/17) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: MST3K (2016/17)  (Read 12814 times)
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #35 on: February 24, 2017, 08:00:17 AM

They didn't change much.  Tom Servo was voiced by Kevin Murphy from seasons 2 to 10.  Josh Weinstein only voiced him during the KTMA season.  Crow was voiced by Trace Beaulieu from the KTMA season to season 7.  Then Bill Corbett from season 8 to 10.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #36 on: February 24, 2017, 01:59:17 PM

KTMA and season1 when Josh was Dr. Erhardt and did Servo.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: February 24, 2017, 03:43:01 PM

I think I have to give it a chance.  There are a lot of question marks, but a lot of really good signs, too.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #38 on: March 22, 2017, 06:13:22 PM

Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #39 on: April 14, 2017, 11:02:12 AM

Available on Netflix now: https://www.netflix.com/title/80128275
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: April 14, 2017, 07:41:35 PM

First one ("Reptilicus") was shockingly seamless with the old show. I feel like I was just watching back in 1993 and a new one aired suddenly except there were strange cultural references from a future I hadn't lived through yet.

Felicia Day feels as if she's trying just ever so slightly too hard but otherwise it's pitch perfect.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: April 14, 2017, 09:42:05 PM

The second one ("Cry Wilderness") was an impressively bizarre movie.

I'm liking that they've managed to do a higher budget but still very similar feel production -- new intro is fun, the Mads having a house band (The Skeleton Crew) is highly amusing to me, and things generally just work.

The host segments are a little hit or miss (but weren't they always?), and stuff like the monster song from Reptilicus balances out the bits that don't land as well.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #42 on: April 14, 2017, 09:45:50 PM

So...this is really good.  I've watched the first three episodes and it really is like MST3K has just moved forward without missing any beats.  It's more like a 28th season rather than an 11th season.  It's almost as if we just somehow missed the seasons from '00 to '16 and now suddenly we're able to see the '17 season and there is a new host.  I love it.

I do have some problems, but they're not enough to keep me from loving the show.  I think that there are way too many jokes.  At times it really feels like they're trying to fill as much dead air as possible during the movie.  It is wall-to-wall jokes, and while I appreciate the riffing, sometimes it feels like they'll make two or three jokes about the same situation, and I just need a break to actually watch the movie.  MST3K from the '90s seemed to have more respect for the timing of the actual film that was being riffed.

I also don't like the new person who is voicing Tom Servo.  Crow is fine, and I have no problem with Jonah.  In fact, I think he's pretty great.  But for some reason the Tom Servo voice bugs me.

That said, I'm amazed.  I'm not going to say I was against the revival, but I definitely had serious reservations.  After watching the first three episodes though, I'm a believer.  This iteration is wonderful and I hope it continues into many seasons.  MST3K has a bright future if it looks like this.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 09:50:08 PM by Ruvaldt »

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: April 14, 2017, 11:22:34 PM

I certainly hope they get renewed for additional seasons.

There are rough spots, but it works, and I suspect it'd just keep getting better given more time to run with it.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #44 on: April 15, 2017, 12:00:10 AM

Writing is solid. Not sold on the voices/host/mads quite yet.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: April 15, 2017, 04:08:45 AM

Still don't like Felicia Day but there's is not enough of her for it to ever start bothering me.

God when pearl showed up I got hit hard in the nostalgia.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: April 16, 2017, 08:54:16 AM

Goddammit Netflix, why is this a US/UK-only release. Are there really that many competitors in, say, Hungary that you'd have to fight for the right to broadcast MST3K? Ohhhhh, I see.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #47 on: April 16, 2017, 09:36:06 AM

Goddammit Netflix, why is this a US/UK-only release. Are there really that many competitors in, say, Hungary that you'd have to fight for the right to broadcast MST3K? Ohhhhh, I see.

MST3K MAGA!

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #48 on: April 16, 2017, 09:50:36 AM

I'd be willing to bet that negotiating rights for each of the films they view is a tangled mess for each new country.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: April 17, 2017, 06:53:28 AM

I'd be willing to bet that negotiating rights for each of the films they view is a tangled mess for each new country.

God knows it took them long enough to unscrew them enough to start showing them even in the US/uk again. For a long time a lot of the old MST3k stuff just could not be shown because the trail of ownership for a lot of these old obscure films was so wacked they could not track anybody down to get authorization.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: April 17, 2017, 03:34:12 PM

Still don't like Felicia Day but there's is not enough of her for it to ever start bothering me.

Felicia Day is always great, until she opens her mouth.

Hic sunt dracones.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: April 18, 2017, 03:39:58 AM

Wow.  That doesn't make you sound like a piece of shit at all.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: April 18, 2017, 04:56:55 AM

That's good.

Hic sunt dracones.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: April 18, 2017, 06:00:22 AM

Wow.  That doesn't make you sound like a piece of shit at all.

To be fair she's a terrible actress, she plays herself in every role and just changes outfits. Forrester and Pearl felt like real cheeseball characters, Day just seems stuck in awkward geek mode for the rest of her career.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: April 18, 2017, 08:37:47 AM

Which is a far more in-depth critique than Captain "I Wanna Fuck Her But Not Even Going To Waste Words on Dismissing Her Entirely" and his loud Cod-Megaphone.  I guess she could hie herself to a nunnery.  I'm fed up with this shit.  Wheaton is a carbon copy of Day and I just don't see the same fucking nonsense anywhere because Cro-Magnon doesn't wanna dip his dick in that.

(Also, Wheaton was in the first episode and totally fucked his lines.  Also, right beside what appeared to be Erin Grey.  It takes a lot to fuck up lines next to Colonel Wilma Deering.)

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #55 on: April 18, 2017, 08:41:42 AM

Agreed. Wheaton plays Wheaton everywhere and less shy-awkward geek with a different name like Day, so I actually like him less for it. Same shtick but she's a nameless interchangeable fantasy while he's a guy so it has to be him. Neither can act for shit but he gets a pass.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: April 18, 2017, 10:06:24 AM

Wheaton is fine, until he opens his mouth.

Hic sunt dracones.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: April 18, 2017, 10:41:32 AM

Day is actually funny in her way.  Wheaton is not.  He is just a putz with enough name recognition to play his geek card loudly.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: April 18, 2017, 12:11:33 PM

I can't think of a single show I've ever cared about that Wheaton was a part of as more than a cameo, I didn't give a shit when Day was fucking around on supernatural either.  It's just a shame to have what I think is a very good reboot have that one bland spot on it.

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #59 on: April 18, 2017, 12:33:20 PM

I had to go to IMDB to find his only other role that was more than a cameo besides Big Bang Theory (which you could generously call "recurring"): Dark Matter, which I had completely forgotten he was in (and I like Dark Matter).

So, there's that.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #60 on: April 18, 2017, 01:51:57 PM

I skip the parts when the movie isn't playing, so it sounds like it's ok to check out.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #61 on: April 18, 2017, 05:11:54 PM

Obsessing over the quality of the host segments seems very strange to me.  It's not like the host segments on the earlier seasons set a really high bar.  I always found the cringeworthy public access quality level kinda charming.

As for the new show, I like it.  Agree with the general sentiment here that it very much has the feel of the old seasons, but I like that they didn't try to 100% mimic them either.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #62 on: April 18, 2017, 06:01:20 PM

Except people aren't obsessing over the quality of the host segments, only the quality of the hosts.

The public-access-quality was always deliberate as well as necessitated by the shoestring budget. Did you not have Saturday/ Sunday Afternoon UHF channel movie hosts on the west coast growing up? It's 100% an homage to that once they realized they'd have shit for budget.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #63 on: April 19, 2017, 12:56:26 AM

I've had 'every country has a monster' in my head for days. It's a pretty great bit, looks like they had a really fun time filming it.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: MST3K (2016/17)  
Jump to: