Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 11:03:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Star Trek (CBS VOD 2017) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Star Trek (CBS VOD 2017)  (Read 128972 times)
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #455 on: December 19, 2020, 01:13:31 AM

There is a reasonable chance all of discovery will be back from the future by then. But having sent Michelle Yeoh back to do her new show, maybe not.

I really didn't like these episodes. Making it actually about the mirror universe rather than prime dudes coping in the mirror, overexposes the sillyness of mirror universe.

The one thing I did like, is the hint that Prime Lorca is alive and well in the mirror. Because Jason Isaacs.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 06:06:50 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #456 on: December 20, 2020, 06:46:40 PM

I was trying to catch up on the last couple of episodes yesterday (didn't get far due to parenting needs). My wife walked in and checked out what I was watching. The return to mirror universe was happening, with stupid names like Killy, mirror-Michael punishing random Kelpiens, etc, and it was actually embarrassing.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #457 on: December 21, 2020, 07:45:52 AM

I think this was just all a grand way of playing out Michelle Yeoh and her character(s). I don't think she'll be returning in any capacity later this season. If they do go through with her spin-off series, great!

Can we get back to a regularly scheduled far-future Trek, plskthx?

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #458 on: December 21, 2020, 10:10:05 AM

The Mirror Universe really just does not make any sense, especially now that we're trying to pretend it has a consistent timeline. The problem is that every Federation crew that interacts with it finds that they have a complete set of doppelgangers who are associated with one another even though cohesion and discipline is completely different in the two universes. It's a mirror until it isn't--for example, in Discovery, the Mirror Discovery crew is at the heart of the empire, whereas in the Prime universe they've been a bunch of marginal weirdoes. In TOS, Mirror Spock should be perfectly aware that there's a Prime Federation (and so should Mirror Kirk). The crews should be fundamentally different in part due to the ways Terrans habitually murder and assassinate one another. etc. I'd just as soon have had Emperor Georgiou step through a portal and disappear for good, but I guess the showrunners think letting the actors be evil is some kind of prize for them.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #459 on: December 23, 2020, 11:53:57 AM

DS9s Mirror episodes were great, IMO.

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #460 on: December 28, 2020, 12:47:34 PM

Can we get back to a regularly scheduled far-future Trek, plskthx?

So, be careful what you wish for?

All the hints and mystery and it turns out to be a baby we knew nothing about screaming. OK then.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 02:47:22 PM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #461 on: December 31, 2020, 01:56:37 AM

They've used the "man-baby" trope many times before in Trek, but this is probably one of the bigger impacts it's had. They're not always handled well, but having Burnham come to terms with the situation as quick as she did and pretend she was part of the sim was pretty good.

Looking forward to possibly seeing the future Starfleet ships in action this week. And I'm still not seeing the point as to why Disco's warp nacelles were disconnected.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #462 on: December 31, 2020, 03:04:23 AM

I don't inherently have an issue with the 'child causes problem' plot line. But I do think the execution was terrible.

It was positioned as a big mystery but turns out they just needed to go to a place anyone could have gone to at any time and the answer is revealed to have nothing obvious to do with anything that has come before this season.

Sure the child is like the crew because they are both new to this world blah blah but they didn't use it.

At least the burn didn't turn out to be Michael Burnham's fault.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #463 on: January 09, 2021, 05:18:23 AM

Ok, this season's a wrap.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #464 on: January 09, 2021, 06:21:14 AM

Finale was better than the finale of S1 and S2, and much better than some of the recent episodes.

I was OK with the inevitable captain change. Would have been better earned over a longer period, but they did a lot in this episode to justify it. I think the season could have used a few more episodes to do what it wanted. Or maybe just fewer mirror universe episodes.

The way they resolved the stamets problem was bad. But I liked that they decided stamets is still mad about circumstances surrounding it.

Very little in the nebula was salvageable, I expected there to be more to reveal - but in fairness it probably would have been bad. I didn't hate how they handled Saru - and if you'd told me the rough outline I would have expected to dislike it much more.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #465 on: January 17, 2021, 05:46:56 PM

Finale was better than the finale of S1 and S2, and much better than some of the recent episodes.

I thought most of this season was self-indulgent and a bit of a slog to get through. I was sure I wouldn't watch next season. But yes, the finale was more satisfying and I might still be on board.
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #466 on: January 25, 2021, 08:31:11 AM

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Star Trek (CBS VOD 2017)  
Jump to: