Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:16:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Hateful 8 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hateful 8  (Read 10806 times)
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #35 on: December 11, 2016, 01:48:13 AM

Caught up with this. Thought it was completely mediocre. Very contrived and didn't really give a shit about any of the characters as they were just archetypes and the "who done it" aspects were underwhelming.  First reaction is that it is at the very bottom of my list of his 8 films.

And what the fuck is up with the hate for Inglorious Basterds in this thread.  That movie is fucking fantastic. You have to see it in terms of him deconstructing WWII movies, particularly Dirty Dozen with some Force Ten and Kelly's Heroes thrown in. He totally flips the script on the "dumb Germans" tropes that those movies traffic in. That movie is fucking nails.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #36 on: December 11, 2016, 12:17:36 PM

My hate for Bastards is that it followed the same pattern of Kill Bill - it was just a long, ridiculous revenge fantasy movie that tried to pretend it was something more with Tarantino's patented annoying, overwrought and overwritten dialogue. Hateful 8 had the same sort of dialogue but it really only bothered me in the carriage ride scenes. The rest of it made more sense.

None of them were Reservoir Dogs or Pulp Fiction or even Jackie Brown however.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: December 11, 2016, 03:32:21 PM

Caught up with this. Thought it was completely mediocre. Very contrived and didn't really give a shit about any of the characters as they were just archetypes and the "who done it" aspects were underwhelming.  First reaction is that it is at the very bottom of my list of his 8 films.

And what the fuck is up with the hate for Inglorious Basterds in this thread.  That movie is fucking fantastic. You have to see it in terms of him deconstructing WWII movies, particularly Dirty Dozen with some Force Ten and Kelly's Heroes thrown in. He totally flips the script on the "dumb Germans" tropes that those movies traffic in. That movie is fucking nails.

I'm pretty much the opposite. IB was boring for me.

This is movie is a deliberate farce, if you're expecting anything other than archetypes then you're thinking it's a different beast to what it tries to be. Likewise on the 'who done it' aspect.

For me Tarintino is better when he's having fun, rather than trying to demonstrate his obsession and understanding of film.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: December 11, 2016, 04:50:23 PM

Hmmm, didn't seem farcical to me at all.  Seemed mostly just a waste of good actors doing not much of anything other than Goggins and Jackson.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: December 11, 2016, 07:51:36 PM

I certainly liked IB better than this, although IB doesn't hold up well on multiple rewatches like Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs. The setup in H8 felt way too long and drawn out; I was already bored of the movie by the time shit started to hit the fan.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: December 11, 2016, 08:38:16 PM

Ya, if it is just a goofy farcical romp of archetypes why spend 100 minutes establishing elaborate and (frankly) boring backstories for so many of the characters.

-H.L. Mencken
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: December 12, 2016, 10:46:54 PM

Ya, if it is just a goofy farcical romp of archetypes why spend 100 minutes establishing elaborate and (frankly) boring backstories for so many of the characters.

They were meant to be funny. It's a stage show. You laugh at the scene and move on to the next, that builds up to the absurd finale. Without the slower moments the faster bits aren't as enjoyable.

Also: For more indulgent shots in the snow. Why else shoot on 80mm? I liked this too.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 03:25:39 AM by lamaros »
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: December 12, 2016, 10:53:28 PM

Meh, not really buying it.  I'm a big QT fanboy and it just fell flat for me.

-H.L. Mencken
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: December 13, 2016, 03:25:25 AM

Ah well, to each his own.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: December 13, 2016, 12:13:30 PM

I could have also been in the wrong mood. I'm sure I'll catch it again at some point.

-H.L. Mencken
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: December 16, 2016, 05:41:02 AM

While it certainly dragged at times, I throughly enjoyed this.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Hateful 8  
Jump to: