Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:26:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: SPY 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: SPY  (Read 3623 times)
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

on: June 07, 2015, 01:58:10 PM

This movie was as good as the trailers for it are bad. 

Just like Kingsman I was incredibly surprised how solid and fun this comedy was after the abominations that were the trailers.  Not only is Mcarthy not playing a female Paul Blart, this is a really rish ensemble cast with Jason Statham possibly the funniest of them all.  Strong contender for best comedy of the year.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 05:08:32 PM

Really?

That's some shit-level marketing, then. If true, I hope whoever came up with the pitches gets fired.  This looked WORSE than Paul Blart 2 from the trailers and ads.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 05:12:44 PM

Really?

That's some shit-level marketing, then. If true, I hope whoever came up with the pitches gets fired.  This looked WORSE than Paul Blart 2 from the trailers and ads.

This is getting some pretty good reviews too.  I hear Statham just nails this movie too.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 05:39:24 PM

His whole character is about taking the piss out of Jason Statham action movie characters.  People forget how funny he was in lock stock and snatch but his comedy chops are still sharp.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 10:07:41 PM

I thought the trailers looked pretty good. I mean...it looks better than Ant-Man anyway.

I get the sense that a lot people hate Mcarthy for some reason.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 10:35:40 PM

I think I hate her because my only real exposure to her has been through pain inducingly bad movie trailers.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 07:56:14 AM

I thought the trailer looked fine, but I don't have any of the problems with Melissa McCarthy that the Internet Counter Reaction Corps seems to have. I thought she was hilarious in The Heat with Sandra Bullock. I mean, the trailers were obviously meant to make you think it was a Melissa McCarthy vehicle, but you don't cast Jude Law and Jason Statham as stunt casts.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 08:37:08 AM

Well Mcarthy does have the biggest part by far but in terms of humor it's much more like the heat than say, tammy or identity theft.  The trailers just had me thinking paul blart in a dress and its really, really not that.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: June 08, 2015, 07:24:46 PM

Holy fuck this was hilarious.  Statham kills it all the way through, but this is the stuff that McCarthy needs to really keep doing and less of the over the top slapstick junk.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #9 on: June 08, 2015, 11:52:56 PM

Haven't seen it (wife did and said it was great) but her and Feig seem to be a good match of star/director.  Bodes well for the Ghostbusters reboot which to me seems a dubious proposition.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
WayAbvPar

Reply #10 on: June 09, 2015, 09:02:39 AM

I am willing to overlook my exhaustion with seeing McCarthy in every 3rd comedy/sitcom to check this out when it hits cable, due in large part to Paul Feig's involvement. The guy knows how to find the funny. Not sure if a lot of people here know about it, but his Yahoo Screen series Other Space is pretty funny, despite some questionable casting decisions. Thanks to noted f13 poster Engels for turning me onto it.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: June 10, 2015, 09:53:32 AM

I am willing to overlook my exhaustion with seeing McCarthy in every 3rd comedy/sitcom to check this out when it hits cable, due in large part to Paul Feig's involvement. The guy knows how to find the funny. Not sure if a lot of people here know about it, but his Yahoo Screen series Other Space is pretty funny, despite some questionable casting decisions. Thanks to noted f13 poster Engels for turning me onto it.

Wait a second... It has Dr. Forester and Joel in it?

WayAbvPar

Reply #12 on: June 10, 2015, 09:59:31 AM

He is more Crow than Forester in this one  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #13 on: June 16, 2015, 07:53:08 AM

Holy fuck this was hilarious.  Statham kills it all the way through, but this is the stuff that McCarthy needs to really keep doing and less of the over the top slapstick junk.

It was great. It hits on the Austin Powers themes of spy movies being ridiculous, but does it without being campy and flips the switch to genuinely hilarious. The buildup is a bit slow, but the payoff when she really opens up her take of the badass bodyguard character owns the screen.

Statham is absurdly funny and over the top while also acting like a bumbling idiot at times. Rose Byrne is the ultimate bitch and great in the dead-pan role. Even Allison Janney does a great job at the I-Don't-Give-A-Fuck M-Type Bond Boss.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: June 19, 2015, 01:50:26 PM

I am so confused after reading this thread and seeing the trailer.....
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: March 05, 2016, 09:07:57 PM

This just hit HBO. It is hysterical.  A very, very entertaining movie.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: March 05, 2016, 11:18:27 PM

This just hit HBO. It is hysterical.  A very, very entertaining movie.
This movie is why i am cautiously optimistic about Ghostbusters. It looked so so so bad. With just standard "ha ha i am a fat woman" comedy. But it delivered on every6 level and did a pretty good job of avoiding the "fat woman" jokes except when they were not at the expense of McCarthy.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: March 05, 2016, 11:23:17 PM

Bodes well for the Ghostbusters reboot which to me seems a dubious proposition.

I will quote myself from moths ago and hope that you are right.

-H.L. Mencken
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: SPY  
Jump to: