Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:03:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Warships 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] Go Down Print
Author Topic: World of Warships  (Read 241612 times)
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #525 on: October 13, 2016, 12:36:26 AM

Benson, Lo Yang and North Carolina seem to be my go-to ships when I'm having a bad run. Iowa, Fletcher can really get nasty but too often I stuff up. Lost 3 in a row and jumped into my Benson and pulld 90K of torps and fire - it's the ship that just jells with me for some reason. North Carolina is the same although I got double Yamato'd in 1 game... 1 Yamato on the enemy side is nast... 2 is murder.

On another note, I need intervention, I may have an addiction, especially as I'm grinding the ARP Takao

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #526 on: October 13, 2016, 01:25:46 AM

I just got into the Ibuki not too long ago and I'm having either feast or famine matches with it. I either get unlucky and get citadelled on an evasive turn or I survive the fight all the while doing evasive techniques.

One key factor for me having better matches with the Ibuki (and I imagine the Zao is the same) is to have max camo. That means 5th captain camo skill, the expensive camo modification, and of course the actual lowered visibility camo. This gave me a 'quiet' rage of 9.5 km, essentially allowing me to make round about blitz attacks to then flee with silent guns as soon as someone decides I'm a pest.

I've had the worst match to date, 3xcitadel from a lucky Yamato, and the best, with over 4 kills, 180k damage (team still lost can you believe it).

The torps are something special too. They are quite potent compared to other CA torps, and I suspect that they rival most regular DD torps as well.

Zao indeed plays the same in that she's supposed to be stealthy (I got the camo skill and module mounted). It took a while for me to get it going with the Ibuki and it worked OKish (55% winrate but only 45k avg damage). Zao has much better guns, practically rail guns. The torps however you can forget about as the angles are just shit and the range is much lower than on the Ibuki. Again, I don't get wth I'm doing wrong (74k avg dmg which is below average recorded for the Zao, 44% winrate).

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
Miguel
Terracotta Army

कुशल

Reply #527 on: October 17, 2016, 01:18:37 PM

Thanks for the tips!  I'm just going to slog through tier 4, as I've read that the US BB lines start to get more accurate/fun at tier 5.

I've had better luck over the last 20 or so battles by just following behind the other battleships and only engaging from maximum range.  Like fire starting at 12km, then turn away once the target gets closer than 10km.  Hits are much harder due to the wide dispersion, but I've found at maximum ranges, the high dispersion can be an asset when firing HE at destroyers, since the shells blanket a fairly large area anyways.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

“We have competent people thinking about this stuff. We’re not just making shit up.” -Neil deGrasse Tyson
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #528 on: October 17, 2016, 05:10:19 PM

All good observations, but I have to warn you, as you get higher tier, its pretty much AP all the way with BBs, with the possible exception of the Sharnhorst, but that's another matter. The American line is a great line for BBs. Well they are all great, for the most part. Some doozies in there, but they are unavoidable.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #529 on: October 18, 2016, 12:34:31 AM

North Carolina if you want to watch CVs steer clear of you. The AA is absolute murder on anything with wings silly enough to come close. If you have a good game then it is a fantastic ship.

For once I left the AA on my Benson on because I had a CV constantly spotting me... 22 plane kills later... I think I'll leave it on all the time.

Got my ARP flag and Commander "Gunzo Chihaya" (+10 Skill Points) and am still grinding for the Takao. Also got a 3rd Iona for some reason.

At least I'm not having to light fires this time.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #530 on: December 11, 2017, 07:20:12 PM

They're running a program right now that donates money to the preservation of the USS Texas, which was damaged during the hurricanes last summer, while at the same time provide in game goodies to new players and veterans.  For every new player that plays at least one battle at tier 4, Wargaming will donate $25 to the Battleship Texas Foundation.  They've already raised over $280k for the foundation to date with a previous promotion.  You can use the referral link below to get some of the free stuff, inc. 2 free premium ships, one of which is the USS Texas, which is a decent tier 5 ship.  TLDR, play up to tier 4, get some free ships and help with the restoration of a historical battleship.

https://playtogether.worldofwarships.com/invite/MDKGEod

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/need-friends-first/
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #531 on: March 03, 2018, 06:54:06 AM

I got a quick question on this.  If I’m a destroyer and you are a battleship you want me to drive past you a drop a smoke screen, correct?   I’m not making it harder for you to shoot, right?
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #532 on: March 04, 2018, 06:18:37 AM

correct - cuts down on detection radius I think.

Also useful when the BB is trying to disengage.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #533 on: March 04, 2018, 10:54:46 AM

I got a quick question on this.  If I’m a destroyer and you are a battleship you want me to drive past you a drop a smoke screen, correct?   I’m not making it harder for you to shoot, right?

If no one on your team is outside your smoke and able to spot the enemy ships, then your teammates won't be able see them.  Usually, though, dropping smoke in front of your BB's is a good idea.
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #534 on: March 04, 2018, 04:28:17 PM

I got my first carrier, the Langley.  After two disastrous outings I finally got my first win. 

Holy smokes, carriers are a whole other game by themselves.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #535 on: March 04, 2018, 10:51:16 PM

I got my first carrier, the Langley.  After two disastrous outings I finally got my first win. 

Holy smokes, carriers are a whole other game by themselves.

I've taken carriers up to T7 in the US and T6 IJN. I refuse to take them any further. Then again with 6 T10 ships under my belt, I've given up on the game. It's painful.

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #536 on: March 16, 2018, 12:14:35 PM

I'm still playing this, if anyone wants to division up, I have the same username in game. Also, BBs no longer chan fire from smoke as effectively; the enemy has to be waaaaaaaaaaaay far away to get to shoot and still not be spotted in smoke. Smoke on a cruiser is still worth it for the cruiser to shoot from, but a BB would mostly use it as a place to wait in gun silence safely while the heal timer refreshes.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #537 on: September 18, 2018, 09:09:18 PM

Seems like subs are coming in 2019, for real.  They're also changing the way carriers work drastically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eD1Aa4GuOI
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #538 on: September 19, 2018, 07:25:06 AM

Subs will attract new players, but will not be good for the game.  I'm calling it now. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #539 on: September 23, 2018, 09:41:25 AM

The carrier changes shown are profoundly stupid.  Instead of a ship commander you are a squadron commander as you endlessly swoop in and attack. And attack in a ludicrous way because your squadron of 12 will swoop in and attack but only 3 will drop their ordinance.  Those 3 will leave after the attack to re-arm while the remaining 9 will do it over again by threes until everyone is empty or shot down.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Warships  
Jump to: