Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:30:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: X-men Age of Apocalypse 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: X-men Age of Apocalypse  (Read 42834 times)
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: July 18, 2015, 06:26:00 PM

It's like 15 years to late to complain about Halle Berry as Storm, they are basically committed to the look now.

They aren't committed to shit.  The new prof X still has hair for fucks sake and as said above, the first xmen movies were 15 years ago, no one gives a shit who played storm previously.

He loses his hair in this movie.

Over and out.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: July 18, 2015, 06:37:42 PM

It's like 15 years to late to complain about Halle Berry as Storm, they are basically committed to the look now.

They aren't committed to shit.  The new prof X still has hair for fucks sake and as said above, the first xmen movies were 15 years ago, no one gives a shit who played storm previously.

Umm, Halle Berry was Storm in the last movie. 
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: July 18, 2015, 07:19:47 PM

Yes because trying to stick to any kind of continuity in this abortion of a franchise is a good idea.  They actually started to get away with it in first class but....

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: July 18, 2015, 08:06:15 PM

Yes because trying to stick to any kind of continuity in this abortion of a franchise is a good idea.  They actually started to get away with it in first class but....

I think what you are looking for is the X-Men reboot that is supposed to come after AoA.  This is the last movie that will deal with these characters.  It's supposedly the reason that Deadpool is not part of this same universe... well that and Wolverine: Origins.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: July 19, 2015, 07:40:36 AM

He goes bald in this one.  Him having hair was a purposeful decision in the evolution of the character.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: July 19, 2015, 08:40:15 AM

I think what you are looking for is the X-Men reboot that is supposed to come after AoA.  This is the last movie that will deal with these characters.  It's supposedly the reason that Deadpool is not part of this same universe... well that and Wolverine: Origins.

Not really, the "reboot" is that they are mostly going to the original cast of characters from the first movie (Jean, Cyclops, Storm, etc) but played by younger actors, which are this same ones that are going to appear in AoA. 

I am the .00000001428%
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #76 on: July 19, 2015, 09:13:34 AM

Yup.  Power-Rangers badguy.

Also saw today they're boasting of a "bigger and better" Quicksilver scene. They're falling into the trap of too many mutants already.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #77 on: July 19, 2015, 10:41:38 AM

It's the fucking X-Men. Of COURSE they are going to put too many mutants in.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: July 19, 2015, 12:13:06 PM

And then make it all about wolverine anyways.

I am the .00000001428%
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: July 19, 2015, 07:44:11 PM

And then make it all about wolverine anyways.
Pretty sure they cant with this one, since according to the end of DoFP logan should be safely locked away wherever the Weapon X experiments took place and have his memory blanked in the "young xmen" timeline that this will be set in.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: July 20, 2015, 01:44:37 AM

Pretty sure they cant with this one, since according to the end of DoFP logan should be safely locked away wherever the Weapon X experiments took place and have his memory blanked in the "young xmen" timeline that this will be set in.

I think you need to watch that scene again.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 03:05:28 AM by DraconianOne »

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: July 20, 2015, 02:57:30 AM

That psylocke costume looks like something from Adam West's Batman. Or worse, George Clooney Batman.

I get that the comic looks like that, but I'm not sure overliteral adaptation is wise in the spandex area.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: July 20, 2015, 03:52:15 AM

I think you need to watch that scene again.
How so?  "Young X-Men" timeline logan was just dredged up from the bottom of a lake unconcious and stryker/mystique had him.  Sure, it is safe to assume that mystique may drag him off somewhere else, but it is also just as possible that she knows enough about what stryker was doing that she decides to put him through the weapon x program anyway.  It is hard to say, since if they deviate too far from  the weapon X origins background of the Wolverine, wouldnt that have the possibility of De-synching Logan from the "Old X-Men" timeline version of himself?  We know he wakes up in the future to a different timeline, but we dont know how different it is.

You are right though, since stryker/mystique has him at the end there, it is entirely plausable that she takes him over to apocalypse's side and we end up with Logan, Horseman of the Apocalypes (he was Death, wasnt he?)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 03:54:54 AM by SurfD »

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: July 20, 2015, 06:24:47 AM

How so?  "Young X-Men" timeline logan was just dredged up from the bottom of a lake unconcious and stryker/mystique had him.  Sure, it is safe to assume that mystique may drag him off somewhere else, but it is also just as possible that she knows enough about what stryker was doing that she decides to put him through the weapon x program anyway.  It is hard to say, since if they deviate too far from  the weapon X origins background of the Wolverine, wouldnt that have the possibility of De-synching Logan from the "Old X-Men" timeline version of himself?  We know he wakes up in the future to a different timeline, but we dont know how different it is.

You are right though, since stryker/mystique has him at the end there, it is entirely plausable that she takes him over to apocalypse's side and we end up with Logan, Horseman of the Apocalypes (he was Death, wasnt he?)

Okay, you have at least acknowledged that it was Mystique and not Stryker but I feel you maybe overthinking it.  When we first see Mystique in DoFP, she is liberating mutants to stop them being experimented on and that's her whole motivation throughout the film. I think it's reasonable she is doing the same here - rescuing Logan so that he doesn't get experimented on. Why would she have a change of heart otherwise?

I'm not saying that Logan won't end up in Weapon X again - Stryker is going to be in AoA as well - but I just don't feel you can read that into the end of DoFP. (Also, having Weapon X implies Alkali Lake and Alkali Lake implies death of Jean Grey and we know that no longer happened in Old X-Men timeline version so, yeah - maybe Weapon X didn't happen.)

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: July 20, 2015, 08:11:08 AM

But that means he has shit bone claws.  So that's not likely.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: July 20, 2015, 09:44:12 AM

Yeah but

Basically, they could just give him metal claws again and no-one apart from the die hard neckbeards are actually going to give a shit whether it was because of Weapon X or not.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: July 20, 2015, 10:32:22 AM

Fixed point in time, you know.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: July 25, 2015, 02:14:06 AM

Magneto did it... painlessly.

Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: December 11, 2015, 07:31:33 AM

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #89 on: December 11, 2015, 07:53:35 AM

That looks decent. I have no problems with Apocalypse's costume. I'm more thrown off by 1) Stark girl as Phoenix/Jean Gray and 2) the overabundance of Jennifer Lawrence in non-Mystique form.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: December 11, 2015, 08:06:17 AM

Apocalypse just looks kind of puny, that's all. Except for the part where he's not.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #91 on: December 11, 2015, 08:10:47 AM

That last shot of bald McAvoy is pretty epic. Otherwise, just seems like another superhero movie with a big bad.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: December 11, 2015, 08:18:01 AM

Memorial Day?  That's one hell of a long tail.

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: December 11, 2015, 08:19:15 AM

I get a very bad X3 vibe off this with how much they are gonna try and cram in there.  Might be good but after AV2 these big team up movies are a wait and see for me.

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: December 11, 2015, 09:53:09 AM

I get a very bad X3 vibe off this with how much they are gonna try and cram in there.

That's not even remotely the problems of X3. It was a very bad script. Plus some terrible costuming/prop work.

beer geek.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: December 11, 2015, 10:00:43 AM

Big case of meh, least Apoc doesn't look as stupid purple as those earlier shots did. Bryan Singer is making though so could be good.

Have we reached peak superhero yet?

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: December 11, 2015, 10:42:42 AM

No, that's not for me.  Not from that trailer.  Nope.  Shame.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: December 11, 2015, 11:05:20 AM

Would be interesting for someone to try a story that has lots of supers in it that isn't about "OMG cities will die! the world might be destroyed!"    I don't think anybody's just done a plain old showdown between supers that isn't about world destruction but just about grudges between people who happen to have superpowers, for example. I suppose the problem with plots that aren't "world or city will die", the stakes are generally rooted more in an established superhero mythos where stories are cranked out serially. You can't tell the story of how Wolverine and Nightcrawler go take Colossus out to a bar so they can cuss him out for being a turd to Kitty Pryde only to end up in a neighborhood-destroying bar-brawl with the Juggernaut unless you're doing in a serial format--it doesn't make sense as a multimillion dollar extravaganza that takes three years to make.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: December 11, 2015, 11:49:23 AM

...Have we reached peak superhero yet?
Yes.  And we've been there since Avengers I and will likely still be there for a number of years more...

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: December 11, 2015, 11:52:59 AM

Would be interesting for someone to try a story that has lots of supers in it that isn't about "OMG cities will die! the world might be destroyed!"    I don't think anybody's just done a plain old showdown between supers that isn't about world destruction but just about grudges between people who happen to have superpowers, for example. I suppose the problem with plots that aren't "world or city will die", the stakes are generally rooted more in an established superhero mythos where stories are cranked out serially. You can't tell the story of how Wolverine and Nightcrawler go take Colossus out to a bar so they can cuss him out for being a turd to Kitty Pryde only to end up in a neighborhood-destroying bar-brawl with the Juggernaut unless you're doing in a serial format--it doesn't make sense as a multimillion dollar extravaganza that takes three years to make.
I think you're 100% right they should do these stories.  Empire is the best Star Wars and is the one that lacks the big space battle scene at the end.  These are serial stories now, even if each episode is spread out by years.  There is room to do the personal story rather than the big story.  They could have done Cap 2 without the end of SHIELD - with the battle being all about the battle for Bucky's soul.  Why?  Because they earned it by telling Cap I and Avengers. 

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: December 11, 2015, 11:55:10 AM

That looks, meh.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: December 11, 2015, 02:40:01 PM

Would be interesting for someone to try a story that has lots of supers in it that isn't about "OMG cities will die! the world might be destroyed!"    I don't think anybody's just done a plain old showdown between supers that isn't about world destruction but just about grudges between people who happen to have superpowers

Spiderman. Also Thor.

But aside from that, not much on the big screen - though the netflix series are great for exactly this reason.

Though I suppose you could argue almost all the good super hero movies are actually about this, only with a dull bit at the end where people/robots hit each for no reason.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: December 11, 2015, 05:32:30 PM

One could argue that Ant-Man is a movie with smaller stakes.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: December 11, 2015, 06:50:12 PM

Same stakes as iron man really, which is mass production of super dangerous weapons to the highest bidder and in this case, hydra.

Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: December 11, 2015, 07:41:38 PM

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: X-men Age of Apocalypse  
Jump to: