Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 02:23:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: THE Slap 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE Slap  (Read 4742 times)
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

on: February 19, 2015, 11:41:08 PM

Hate most of the characters in this show. Acting is pretty great, story has legs, but not beyond 1 season. Sure they will find a way to drag it out.

On to the juicy stuff, lilfucker deserved it. His parents are hopelessly broken, and just generally terrible people. Guy that does the slappin is an asshole in his own right, and although he put a lil more pepper on it than he should have, kid had it coming.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 02:36:32 AM by schild »

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 08:24:44 PM

It's a one-shot season.

And I want to slap the entire fucking cast.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 02:36:51 AM

Fixed the title to make it the actual stupid fucking title that was given to this.

I will not watch it.

The premise is dumber than shit.

Get this off TV.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 02:56:06 AM

What is this ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 08:07:44 AM

What is this ?

Apparently it is a show about some dude who slaps another dude's six year old at a BBQ and how it turns into some kind of Hatfueld and McCoy battle in a courtroom. Starting Uma Thurman, new Spock, and a couple other "how much money did NBC throw at this stupid premise?" actors.

At least, that is what the commercial I saw 14 times during the SuperBowl led me to believe....

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 08:19:23 AM

Wow.  That sounds really, really silly.

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 08:31:21 AM

What is this ?

Apparently it is a show about some dude who slaps another dude's six year old at a BBQ and how it turns into some kind of Hatfueld and McCoy battle in a courtroom. Starting Uma Thurman, new Spock, and a couple other "how much money did NBC throw at this stupid premise?" actors.

At least, that is what the commercial I saw 14 times during the SuperBowl led me to believe....

...the fuck?

I have never played WoW.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 08:41:19 AM

It's a one-shot season.

And I want to slap the entire fucking cast.

1) That's what they said about "The Following" too.  Ratings can give additional seasons to even the thinnest of plots. (Season 3, starting this week!)

2) If anyone here has a possibility of doing so, it's you. Please do.

The thing I read about it when I saw the first ad said it was about "The TABOO" of physical punishment coupled to 'where is the line' when it comes to making other people's kids behave.

Good writing might be able to address the grey areas of social responsibility and the taboo of corporal punishment. You don't get good writing on networks, you get formulas.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 11:30:36 AM

What is this ?

...the fuck?

This. Times 50 fucking slaps.

Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 06:04:38 PM

I believe this show is an adaptation of the book by the same name. Buy yeah, the premise sounds silly.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 11:14:00 PM

This is a US remake of a quality Australian drama, based on a best-selling Australian novel.

I disliked the book as there were no likeable characters. I liked the Australian TV series as it was well written and acted, repairing what was wrong with the book for me.

Sounds like as usual they should just have played you it in our accent.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 02:26:07 AM

Ah, that explains it then.  When the US tries to crib shows from other cultures, it almost always ends up massive Fail.

With the exception of The Office, which became watchable compared to the original shitfest.

schild
Administrator

Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 02:58:34 AM

Ah, that explains it then.  When the US tries to crib shows from other cultures, it almost always ends up massive Fail.

With the exception of The Office, which became watchable compared to the original shitfest.
In Treatment was superb.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: February 25, 2015, 04:06:17 AM

Not familiar, sorry.

I'll look it up.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #14 on: February 25, 2015, 07:54:15 PM

Official site for the original Aussie version.

OTOH it doesn't have zombies, superheroes or sci-fi, so what are any of us doing here.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: February 25, 2015, 11:29:10 PM

Sounds like as usual they should just have played you it in our accent.

I came here to say this. See also Mad Max which should never have been dubbed (but at least it wasn't an adaptation).

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #16 on: February 26, 2015, 01:56:22 AM

Considering everybody here is hating on the premise/story of the show, and not on the acting or anything, I highly doubt the Aussie version would be any better recieved.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: February 26, 2015, 04:37:22 AM

Considering everybody here is hating on the premise/story of the show, and not on the acting or anything, I highly doubt the Aussie version would be any better recieved.

Aussies tend to be more reserved than Americans in their praise. Also, although we are culturally similar and have a strong US influence in pop culture, I've noticed that there is a different mindset when it comes to appreciating Aussie (and UK) TV and film.

Also, Cricket > Baseball, League/Union/AFL > American Football (Soccer is ok)

Vegemite > all

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: February 26, 2015, 05:30:21 AM

I really tried to like In Treatment, but I really don't get why some of these people think they need a Psychiatrist for their petty problems. Maybe going there is a more casual thing for Americans? Also, the doctor is extremely unprofessional, but that may be a point of the series.

The Slap, i don't even get the premise.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: February 26, 2015, 08:02:10 AM

I watched the first one because it sounded like it could have been interesting. Hate just about every character, though, some more than others, but I can overlook that - in fact, it could be a bonus if the writing was any good. The dialog is just awful - even the cast can't make up for that shit.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: February 26, 2015, 10:21:57 AM

i enjoy House of Cards myself.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #21 on: February 28, 2015, 02:47:26 PM

Two people on the cast have been slapped.

They're not sure why.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: February 28, 2015, 04:19:42 PM

It's Good.  I enjoyed the original more.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #23 on: February 28, 2015, 10:49:58 PM

Two people on the cast have been slapped.

They're not sure why.

You yankin our chain?

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: March 01, 2015, 11:52:34 AM

I think the acting and writing are superb. As has already been said though, every character is a cunt. Not sure where the Aussie version could have improved here.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #25 on: March 01, 2015, 12:26:20 PM

Kind of a bad example.  From what I can see, the name of the show, and that they both deal with politics, are the only things at all they share in common.  They didn't try to transfer over any characters or any of the originals plot lines, did they?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #26 on: March 01, 2015, 08:21:49 PM

Not yanking chains. That said, I'm pretty sure I blew my wad on that favor I called in.

Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #27 on: March 01, 2015, 09:03:26 PM

Kind of a bad example.  From what I can see, the name of the show, and that they both deal with politics, are the only things at all they share in common.  They didn't try to transfer over any characters or any of the originals plot lines, did they?

Eh, they brought over a fair bit.  Breaking the fourth wall, the Zoe Barnes character, Underwood/Urquhart's ultimate goal and setup for the series.  They changed names around and significantly lengthened it, but the first season is like the original in a variety of ways.

I prefer the Netflix version, but they're both great.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #28 on: March 02, 2015, 07:23:35 AM

Not yanking chains. That said, I'm pretty sure I blew my wad on that favor I called in.

Next time I get sent to the NYC office, I owe you a beer or three.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: THE Slap  
Jump to: