Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:17:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Darkest Dungeon 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Darkest Dungeon  (Read 53631 times)
hal1
Terracotta Army

Reply #140 on: March 16, 2016, 09:09:31 PM

Ok, this is what I'm comming to here. And you might wipe. or loose a toon. I mean It's a hard game but is it a fun game? I mean you might win or you might lose but it doesn't have anything to do with what your doing,
schild
Administrator

Reply #141 on: March 17, 2016, 10:42:04 AM

Ok, this is what I'm comming to here. And you might wipe. or loose a toon. I mean It's a hard game but is it a fun game? I mean you might win or you might lose but it doesn't have anything to do with what your doing,
The fuck is this post?
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #142 on: March 17, 2016, 10:54:51 AM

Have you read the two before that?

Job601
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: March 17, 2016, 10:57:12 AM

It reads better as poetry:

Ok, this is what I'm comming to here.
And you might wipe. or loose a toon.
I mean It's a hard game
 but is it a fun game?
I mean you might win
 or you might lose
but it doesn't have anything to do with
what your doing,

This is a pretty apt description of the human condition.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #144 on: March 17, 2016, 11:00:38 AM

Love Letters

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #145 on: March 17, 2016, 11:08:33 AM

Wasn't that from Jagged Little Pill?
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: March 18, 2016, 05:25:08 AM

I would think so.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #147 on: March 18, 2016, 11:29:38 AM

It reads better as poetry:

Ok, this is what I'm comming to here.
And you might wipe. or loose a toon.
I mean It's a hard game
 but is it a fun game?
I mean you might win
 or you might lose
but it doesn't have anything to do with
what your doing,

This is a pretty apt description of the human condition.

Fantastic.  You're on track with your goals for the year.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: May 21, 2016, 05:36:50 AM

Town Events were added this week.

I guess that each in-game week, there's a chance that one of these events will take place.
I haven't done any research, so I am rolling with them as they occur.

So far, I've had these events:
- Stress-healing bonus for idle toons
- Bonus recruitment of 2 Crusaders
- No Event

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
hal1
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: September 05, 2016, 06:44:29 PM

So I have to say I keep coming back to this. I dunno it's a hard game. But you might could win it.
MournelitheCalix
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: September 12, 2016, 07:16:26 PM

So I have to say I keep coming back to this. I dunno it's a hard game. But you might could win it.

I very recently did "beat" this game.  What I found very interesting in this game was that a lot of it was counter intuitive.  For instance trying to go through that game in "light" runs is just insanely difficult.  Doing "dark" runs actually made the game significantly easier.  From their it was a simple min max with the trinkets to figure out what you needed to do for your party.

Born too late to explore the new world.
Born too early to explore the universe.
Born just in time to see liberty die.
WayAbvPar

Reply #151 on: February 11, 2017, 05:53:02 PM

This is half price on Steam right now. Finally caved and bought it. Wow does it suck time. Having a blast getting abused by the RNG.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: June 20, 2017, 05:59:55 AM

PSA:
The Crimson Court DLC is now available on Steam.
I haven't tried the DLC yet, but Steam has put the base game on sale for $9.99 through June 22.
They've also got a bundle that includes DD, the DLC, and the soundtrack for ~$21, which is less than the full price of DD alone, if that interests you.
So if you've not played DD yet, now's about as good a time to get it as ever.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
schild
Administrator

Reply #153 on: June 22, 2017, 10:34:03 AM

This expansion is getting wrecked by people, apparently its awful.
WayAbvPar

Reply #154 on: June 22, 2017, 12:12:37 PM

Is it the spergy "It's too easy" type, or the "this shit doesn't work" type?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #155 on: June 22, 2017, 12:19:54 PM

I'd heard there was a disease you can't get rid of spread by a very common monster.  Not spoiling it here.  But apparently that alone sux baws.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #156 on: June 22, 2017, 01:05:07 PM

Is it vampirism?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #157 on: June 22, 2017, 04:15:58 PM

I got this and played a whole bunch yesterday. But by golly is it repetitive.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #158 on: June 22, 2017, 08:38:06 PM

Well yeah, at its core, this is a clicker mobile game without the microtransactions. What sets it apart is the mood-setting and the narration.

They made a gameplay mode (Radiant) that cuts away half of the grind... if anything, I'd say that mode does too little.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #159 on: June 23, 2017, 01:12:07 AM

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #160 on: June 25, 2017, 07:58:08 PM

Ok, so after like, 20+ hours with this I've just discovered:

A) You can interact with curios by using items. Did I miss a tutorial on this at some point? I've been buying those things and never using them, and now I find out I could have been using them to actually get good results from curious most of the time?
B) You use the shovel by clicking on the shovel when you hit the obstacle, not the hand. The shovel highlighted doesn't mean you necessarily use it, you have to click it..
C) Skeleton keys have nothing to do with secret rooms.
D) You can learn new camping skills as some small tent hidden away on the left of screen.

Probably a few more other things beside.

How much more obvious UI stuff am I missing?

Despite this, the game is fun, and to date somewhat easy. I'm probably played it very conservative, though, I'm like 50 weeks in and only run 1 level 5 dungeon or so, and have a roster of 28 level 3/4/5 heroes with maxed armor and skills and a few locked in good traits.

I assume shit gets real in the DD, and everything prior to that is jut a warmup?

There is a bunch of stuff in the game that doesn't make sense still, despite how long the game has been out. Stress relief areas (tavern, etc) are mostly a waste of time, and certainly a waste of time upgrading. A third of the classes are crap, or poor. Another third might be, but I dunno, because they never rocked up to be recruited.

I've mostly been running groups with Vestal, Jesters and Lepers. I have tried not to spoil much but I take it from some internet rumblings that they're not considered good. I guess this is because the DD needs more debufs than they provide? Because they stomp the other dungeons and come out with less stress than they went in...
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #161 on: June 25, 2017, 10:16:23 PM

Ok, so after like, 20+ hours with this I've just discovered:

A) You can interact with curios by using items. Did I miss a tutorial on this at some point? I've been buying those things and never using them, and now I find out I could have been using them to actually get good results from curious most of the time?
B) You use the shovel by clicking on the shovel when you hit the obstacle, not the hand. The shovel highlighted doesn't mean you necessarily use it, you have to click it..
C) Skeleton keys have nothing to do with secret rooms.
D) You can learn new camping skills as some small tent hidden away on the left of screen.

Probably a few more other things beside.

How much more obvious UI stuff am I missing?

Despite this, the game is fun, and to date somewhat easy. I'm probably played it very conservative, though, I'm like 50 weeks in and only run 1 level 5 dungeon or so, and have a roster of 28 level 3/4/5 heroes with maxed armor and skills and a few locked in good traits.

I assume shit gets real in the DD, and everything prior to that is jut a warmup?

There is a bunch of stuff in the game that doesn't make sense still, despite how long the game has been out. Stress relief areas (tavern, etc) are mostly a waste of time, and certainly a waste of time upgrading. A third of the classes are crap, or poor. Another third might be, but I dunno, because they never rocked up to be recruited.

I've mostly been running groups with Vestal, Jesters and Lepers. I have tried not to spoil much but I take it from some internet rumblings that they're not considered good. I guess this is because the DD needs more debufs than they provide? Because they stomp the other dungeons and come out with less stress than they went in...
1. Most of the curios have various effects when touched or have items used on them. You might want to look some up because there's a couple that have bad effects when you use items on them, or have no positive effects when you use them without any items. Some are pretty logical- you can use shovels to hold open the clams in the cove for example to guarantee loot.

2. Keys do have a use regarding secret rooms. Sometimes there's a secret room hidden in the path between two rooms. If you have a key you can open the chest in the hidden room which will have some huge money drops.

3. The game will kick the shit out of you under these circumstances:
-You pick a group makeup that doesn't suit the area you're going to
-You run into one of the really shitty monster packs in each area (some just synergize in really fucking obnoxious ways)
-You get rolled by a Shambler, The Zealot, or the Collector at a bad time
-Just some really super bad rolls, like say the fungal giants in the Weald critting one of your squishies.

4. The Darkest Dungeon is indeed pretty fucking brutal and anyone you take into it will refuse to go back in unless you turn the rule off from the game settings. People who go into the DD don't count against your roster space however.

As for UI stuff, there's a button on the right side of the screen next to the map- I can't recall if it shows up on the inventory tab or the map tab, but it resets your party to its original arrangement outside of combat. Useful after getting shuffled a lot. Holy Water provides a bunch of resistances for a handful of rounds if you use it on your party members instead of curios- there's a boss or two you can utterly break the gimmick of with this trick. In the hamlet you can also turn heirlooms into other heirlooms at a less efficient rate- like turn portraits into the busts, deeds into seals, etc.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Arinon
Terracotta Army

Reply #162 on: June 25, 2017, 10:37:32 PM

I like Darkest Dungeon a lot but all three times I've run through the campaign I give up once I see the amount of grinding and fiddling involved with the final push through the three DD runs.

If you play even remotely well the stress buildings are useless until you're forced to chain level 5 runs.  Even then you only really need to open up second slots to deal with random stress quirk restrictions.

Every class has its use, which I think of as a real strength of the game.  If I'm picking favourites it's Hellion, Occultist, and Plague Doctor. On the flipside, Man at Arms seems like a really specialized class designed for a few specific fights and the Vestal only shines when you need the group heal to keep multiple heroes off death's door.  (Which should be rare).

3. The game will kick the shit out of you under these circumstances:
-You pick a group makeup that doesn't suit the area you're going to
This right here becomes more and more true has you approach end game and is the most important piece of advise.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: June 25, 2017, 11:11:40 PM

I just came across this tidbit also: "You can change combat skills in between fights"

Seriously? Whoops. Tutorial is very bare bones.

Edit:

Finished the game, but really the fun stopped a fair while ago, it was just OCD pushing me to the end. Way too repetitive for such a long game.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 11:09:55 PM by lamaros »
schild
Administrator

Reply #164 on: August 25, 2017, 12:12:57 AM

Finally out for iPad. Which is where it should've been to begin with.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #165 on: August 25, 2017, 08:44:05 AM

Yeah, pretty much.

I enjoyed it, I won't complain, but I felt no real motivation to do what was necessary to get to the end. It was a good experience--a great demonstration of what a smart sense of the aesthetic of a game can do for you.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: August 25, 2017, 12:07:59 PM

Yeah, I gave up looong before the end. It just got way too repetitive, and the fact that you had to R&R your favorite team every time you used them was annoying.

Great game mechanics, but could have been made 2/3 shorter without hurting it at all.

Hic sunt dracones.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Darkest Dungeon  
Jump to: