Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:32:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Ghostbusters reboot. 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ghostbusters reboot.  (Read 87466 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #350 on: July 15, 2016, 01:02:04 PM

Yeah we needed a more serious version of Ghostbusters.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #351 on: July 15, 2016, 03:31:38 PM

My buddy at work went and saw it and said it was good. He also said that it was a lot more "serious" than the trailers made you think (as in it's not really a comedy) and that it was fun.

It's not like he changed my mind on it, since I didn't give a fuck about it when it was announced and haven't seen or heard anything that makes me give more of a fuck about it now.

Your friend is crazy. There's a "joke" every few seconds. It only not really a comedy because most of the jokes don't land.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #352 on: July 15, 2016, 03:40:54 PM

I dodged a bullet. Wife bought tickets for the whole fam, but my youngest didn't express extreme interest. So I "offered" two tickets to the neighbors kids so I can "stay home" with the youngest.

Which really just means ice cream and a much better time.

She'll come back with a full report and I trust her to say it straight.

I probably will see it at some point as a free inflight movie, if it's not an abject horror like Battlefield Earth I'd rather sleep through.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #353 on: July 15, 2016, 03:56:56 PM

One of the perks of working for a cable company is that I get to watch these trainwrecks (eventually) without having to support this shit financially.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #354 on: July 15, 2016, 05:17:41 PM

The wifey REALLY wants to see this movie.  I'm not looking forward to it because of the reviews I've read that aren't obviously pro or anti, they say it's got some funny parts and 2 characters that are entertaining, while the rest of the characters are either caricatures or wooden and unfunny, combined with a plot and villain that aren't particularly enticing.  Mostly it will come down to how well the jokes resonate with the viewer as most of them don't seem to really hit the mark and very few genuine laughs - because comedy can really be subjective.  Overall it's not a trainwreck, but it isn't particularly great either.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #355 on: July 17, 2016, 11:47:45 AM

I read somewhere that female reviewers are rating this much higher than their male counterparts.  Don't know if thats true or not but its possible since men and women often find different things entertaining.  If that's the case, then thats ok because we can't have every movie be sci fi or full of superheros that cater to men.  I just wish that women would be given something original to do, like a Thelma and Louise, instead of rehashing something that was already done well by men.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #356 on: July 17, 2016, 12:19:54 PM

It's not a bad movie.  It's not a good movie.  You can just about map everything from the original to this reboot.  Plot, characters, beats of the movies, it's just about all an updated version of the original.

I feel I could say a whole lost more, but: Effort.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #357 on: July 17, 2016, 12:54:52 PM

It was pretty damn mediocre. So much so I fell asleep twice during the movie.

The only audience-wide laugh I caught was when Helmsworth was first introduced. There were titters here and there throughout but that was the only thing that seemed to have caught everyone's sense of funny at any time.

If I'm going to be snarky about it, I'd say "This is exactly the movie you'd expect from someone who puts the hate comments from their YouTube trailer into the movie as lines and scenes." That sort of one-dimensional petty gesture is how the movie approached everything from its humor to its characters. Nothing had depth.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #358 on: July 17, 2016, 12:57:29 PM

One thing that left me nonplussed was the fight scene.  It was literally right out of a video game.  Boss mob summons waves of mobs for team to fight.  Team fights them with tools that are now apparently weapons that can disable or destroy ghosts.  Final move is to take down boss mob.

Uh.  Okay.  I guess.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #359 on: July 17, 2016, 01:04:28 PM

Yeah, I was expecting that from a video review last Sunday so I just eye-rolled past it. It wasn't as bad as the reviewer said, because the proton packs were clearly still just lassoing ghosts. It was the new weapons introduced in a 3-5 min scene that were killing. I assume some line about their potency vs. the packs was cut from the final film.

However, the video-game boss-mob setup to it you're dead on about. Stilts ghost was doing hand gestures for wave summoning straight out of a few games.

Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #360 on: July 17, 2016, 01:08:23 PM

I thought a few were being taken out by the proton packs, but I could be wrong about that.  Especially when engineer pulls out the dual weapons (and licks one) then goes to town using what looks like the proton pack beams to take down ghost wave #4 or whatever.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #361 on: July 17, 2016, 01:21:06 PM

Fiancee dragged me to this, glad she did. It was an enjoyable summer movie. Effects were pretty damned good in 3d.

Y'all need to lighten up and enjoy things.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #362 on: July 17, 2016, 01:43:20 PM

Watched this over the weekend, pretty decent.

I am the .00000001428%
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #363 on: July 17, 2016, 03:53:49 PM

I saw this today (for free) and it's not nearly as bad as I thought it would be.  It had it's moments but it wasn't particularly good, either.  Just kind of meh.  They did manage to have every male character be incredibly stupid and/or horrible. Ohhhhh, I see.  Feminism!!!  Another completely unnecessary remake. 
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #364 on: July 19, 2016, 12:29:57 AM

RLM take:

Congratulations Internet, you wasted your time.

Stay for the Larry Storch clip.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #365 on: July 19, 2016, 03:49:22 AM

Life is too short for that shit, especially when they start out praising JJ Abrams. 44 min? Yeah-nah.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #366 on: July 19, 2016, 10:12:43 AM

It was pretty damn mediocre. So much so I fell asleep twice during the movie.

"damn mediocre" and "fell asleep twice" do not match when it comes to movies. Entertainment that put you to sleep failed.

I have never played WoW.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #367 on: July 19, 2016, 11:44:44 AM

I watch between one and three movies a weekend. Mediocre ones put me to sleep now. I'm almost to the point of walking out when that bored but the wife is still entertained.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #368 on: July 19, 2016, 01:38:21 PM

I can't say that I want to rush to the theater, but some folks I trust said they at least enjoyed it. Including one big skeptic.

I think we also forget how profoundly uneven and at times sub-mediocre the first movie was. If it premiered today, I'm not sure we'd all be rapturous about it. Without Murray it would have been genuinely bad--the only other people who really hit their marks are Rick Moranis and Ramis. Ackroyd is a straight man for the most part, Hudson has one or two modestly funny bits, Weaver is kind of fun but not extraordinary. Atherton's playing of an asshole sets up one great line.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #369 on: July 19, 2016, 02:14:04 PM

Bill Murray is pretty much the entire movie. I actually just ran across this on cable the other day and rewatched it and I actually liked it even more than I remembered. I have a feeling a lot of this boils down to how much you like that kind of understated dry sarcastic comedy. I'm not a big fan of comedies to begin with, which might be part of the problem here.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #370 on: July 19, 2016, 02:17:43 PM

The original Ghostbusters holds up really well.  There are some movies I loved during my childhood that I see as an adult and cringe, and there are some that I see as an adult and appreciate more.  Ghostbusters is one of the latter.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #371 on: July 19, 2016, 06:23:47 PM

Bill Murray is pretty much the entire movie. I actually just ran across this on cable the other day and rewatched it and I actually liked it even more than I remembered. I have a feeling a lot of this boils down to how much you like that kind of understated dry sarcastic comedy. I'm not a big fan of comedies to begin with, which might be part of the problem here.

Bill Murray was pretty much every movie that era.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #372 on: July 19, 2016, 06:49:13 PM

Can you even imagine Groundhog Day with someone other than Murray in it.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #373 on: July 19, 2016, 07:24:00 PM

John Belushi?
schild
Administrator

Reply #374 on: July 20, 2016, 12:13:25 AM

John Belushi?
This seems terrible to me.

Bill Murray was pretty much every movie that era.

But I'd like to propose that John Candy played all the roles that Murray couldn't have. Characters like Uncle Buck or Del (Planes, Trains & Automobiles) would've been crap with Bill Murray. Well, maybe not crap but radically different at the very least.

I'm pretty sure Eddie Murphy was the only black guy in Hollywood in the 80s. I haven't done the math but I don't want to see Bill Murray as Axel Foley.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #375 on: July 20, 2016, 01:23:08 AM

Oh Bill Cosby was also in Hollywood in the 80s. Every movie he made was a total Flop, but he was there.

Hic sunt dracones.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #376 on: July 20, 2016, 03:50:11 AM

I think we also forget how profoundly uneven and at times sub-mediocre the first movie was. If it premiered today, I'm not sure we'd all be rapturous about it. Without Murray it would have been genuinely bad--the only other people who really hit their marks are Rick Moranis and Ramis.

This is an insane opinion!

On the subject of a "more serious" Ghostbusters, the original is obviously a comedy but it doesn't have a lot of slapstick or random non-contextual jokes. Feig's sensibility is a lot more like Rodney Dangerfield's - a bunch of barely-related jokes. (That's not a diss, I love ole Rodney) The Red Letter Media thing touched on this a lot, though I think movie reviewers tend to vastly overestimate the amount of improv that happens in comedies.

Another important thing about the original is that it's shot like a "real" movie. For example when Weaver looks in her fridge and sees the weird dimension and the dog creature, that could easily be from a horror movie. It's not shot like a modern comedy, or like many contemporary comedies. That was a very conscious choice. Ghostbusters also uses a pretty classic film grading curve, whereas the new one, and newer comedies in general, go for a less classic film look. (By that I mean, they do not try to look like they are shot on film) Instead they tend to be more digitally graded and saturated, with popped colors and such.

I think when a lot of people say that the new one is less serious and more cartoony that is a large part of what they are getting at. The first one is shot like a "real" movie that happens to be a comedy, whereas the new one is shot like a comedy or a kid's movie. (Or a Star Wars prequel)

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #377 on: August 08, 2016, 01:42:22 AM

Fundamental problem is that 80s adventure comedies are no longer a genre people other than Disney are confident enough to make. Ever since Something About Mary, suits seem to think that anything comic has to go full Adam Sandler. Only the funnier MCU films and Pirates of the Carribean 1 spring to mind as a decent attempt at it post 2000.

The visual difference is a great example that carries right through the script. Never once does it let a joke go unexplained, or does it choose something deadpan over a pie in the face.

I saw the musical at the weekend and it turns out groundhog day is just fine without Murray.

Andy Karl was great.

I'm fairly sure it was better overall than the film.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 03:26:36 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #378 on: August 12, 2017, 08:09:58 AM

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #379 on: August 12, 2017, 11:13:17 AM

"Stop Talking!" is a pretty good encapsulation of the problems.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #380 on: August 12, 2017, 04:58:04 PM

Stop trying to sell me convection ovens.

I have too many convection ovens!

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Ghostbusters reboot.  
Jump to: