Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:35:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Crowfall aka Play2Crush aka Shadowbane II aka Nostalgia Online 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 41 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Crowfall aka Play2Crush aka Shadowbane II aka Nostalgia Online  (Read 543481 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #350 on: January 26, 2015, 10:52:21 AM

The only thing that would ever make crafting interesting for me again would be if the components had different values like in SWG. As in copper ore had varying levels of quality we could find, and better quality made better items.

Until I see that, I'm never trusting another crafting system to deliver what SWG did.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
schild
Administrator

Reply #351 on: January 26, 2015, 11:52:49 AM

I had a monopoly on perfect quality corn in SWG on my server.

Turns out that never mattered.

Fucking corn.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #352 on: January 26, 2015, 02:05:01 PM

I made millions in mining top quality stuff for the crafters on my server, which I believe was Enterprise.

Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #353 on: January 26, 2015, 02:27:10 PM

I like where this is going  why so serious?

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #354 on: January 26, 2015, 03:12:33 PM

I agree that one of the best things of SWG was the different random quality of the crafted items. I also loved how you could be just a crafter. I maxed out tailoring super fast at release and was making tons of money while my friends were leveling up adventuring. I remember that my mail box was literally exploding with orders and while I could have just quit all that at any given time, I guess playing "shopkeeper" was fun because you knew your items were somehow needed, cool, and unique. It helped that I had my own house, which I turned into my business right outside of Coronet, and that definitely added to the feeling of playing a very unique role. Maybe I wouldn't play it like this now, but I'd like to have the options. And I don't see why these people (Raph) can't do the same thing here since they did it there.

schild
Administrator

Reply #355 on: January 26, 2015, 03:14:27 PM

Let's back up, you kind of had to be a crafter in SWG. If you were playing it and not crafting, I put forward that you were playing SW:G wrong. The rest of the game was awful.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #356 on: January 26, 2015, 03:17:11 PM

I made droids.  It was awful too. Immersive and interesting, but awful.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 03:28:29 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #357 on: January 26, 2015, 03:34:13 PM

Just about everything was awful and a timesink. The game was a 2nd job that you paid for.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #358 on: January 26, 2015, 03:34:57 PM

And I don't see why these people (Raph) can't do the same thing here since they did it there.

Here's why: In SWG, if someone wanted to get the cloth goods that you'd produced, they had one option.
And that option wasn't to murder you, loot everything you own, and teabag your corpse.

No one is going to put up with being a walking loot bag for very long, if at all, and that is the core reason why this entire enterprise is in the early running for Best Troll of 2015.

naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #359 on: January 26, 2015, 04:51:15 PM

I had a monopoly on perfect quality corn in SWG on my server.

Turns out that never mattered.

Fucking corn.

Play to husk!

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #360 on: January 26, 2015, 05:00:00 PM

Let's back up, you kind of had to be a crafter in SWG. If you were playing it and not crafting, I put forward that you were playing SW:G wrong. The rest of the game was awful.

I didn't have the patience for crafting but I loved the bounty hunting system they had.  I made millions from killing other players and the only thing I took from them was XP and time, which still produced copious amounts of tears. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?  If I hadn't found that one thing I really enjoyed doing, I would have quit before JTL.  It was the sort of game that had a few different niche game play options that didn't have much cross over appeal.  If you enjoyed crafting, you probably didn't enjoy pvp.  If you enjoyed pvp, you probably didn't want to play as a dancer or musician.  There was a lot of player interdependency economy wise, but once whatever transaction was completed everyone went back to their own little ghetto doing their own thing.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #361 on: January 26, 2015, 05:54:56 PM

Yeah, I basically ended up playing SW:G as an Armorer and UO as a Blacksmith/Miner.

I like crafting systems, I dunno.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #362 on: January 26, 2015, 06:06:28 PM

real men siege in their underwears

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #363 on: January 26, 2015, 07:00:59 PM

I made droids.  It was awful too. Immersive and interesting, but awful.
I tried to make droids during my 7 day(?) trial. I think I lasted long enough to make like, 3.

I've made and actually sold a few carbine barrels for some inexplicable reason, though.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #364 on: January 26, 2015, 07:11:11 PM

I enjoyed Bio Engineer, you could make some pretty good pets for Creature Handlers and there was a lot of variety.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #365 on: January 26, 2015, 08:56:32 PM

If they announce a pet and pet-crafting system I'm doomed to at least try it.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #366 on: January 26, 2015, 10:43:05 PM

aww yeah, SWG crafting stories! I had a shop on Starsider selling nothing but explosives, and had a crazy in-character ad to go with it. Then SWG decided to remove all explosives from the game...

Yeah, I went there. I just posted roleplaying stuff from SWG. If that happening in this thread is surprising or shocking in any way... I don't know what to tell you. why so serious?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 10:54:59 PM by Zetor »

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #367 on: January 27, 2015, 03:29:34 AM

I had a little shop as close as you can put it near that mine at Minoc. Sold lots of shovels and mining equipment, also was a blacksmith there.

In SWG I had a small house right outside Anchorhead where I made...sliced goods?  Can't remember.  Crafting was the best part of the game, combat was terrible.

So I'll keep an eye on this game, but I generally don't play2crush, I play2craft.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #368 on: January 27, 2015, 10:17:26 AM

First Archetype and (fairly skeletal) FAQ released!  

Their website is a bit wonky (it appears you have to create an account to read news items, or maybe its just me- I can't get links to work right), but the high points from the FAQ:

- No traditional MMO levels.  You can advance "actively" (probably quests, pvp, etc.) or "passively" (training skills ala Eve).  

- Character creation seems to be directly imported from Shadowbane.  Races have different starting "costs," and you can use points for Advantages ("Eagle Eye" giving bonus to bows, etc.).  I don't think Shadowbane had this, but you can also free points to dump somewhere else by giving characters Disadvantages.

- Disciplines!  The discipline mix/match game was one of my favorite parts of SB's system.  Just give me With Catlike Tread to confound the damn multibox scout bots, and I'll be happy.   The first example is "Bounty Hunter"- I guess not even bothering to change the names of SB's skills will save time  awesome, for real

The first archetype (Legionnaire, vanilla melee DPS) was also unveiled.  
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 10:19:46 AM by Triforcer »

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #369 on: January 27, 2015, 10:32:20 AM

Prediction: Melee will suck in pvp.  why so serious?

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #370 on: January 27, 2015, 10:40:02 AM

The older I get, and the more twitch that is in combat mechanics for games, the more terrible I am at it.

Being a retired veteran who simply crafts in an mmo sounds great to me. Other people can be the hero. I'm happy just crafting.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #371 on: January 27, 2015, 10:44:22 AM

That wasn't really true in sb though.

I am the .00000001428%
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #372 on: January 27, 2015, 11:42:57 AM

Yeah, that was my experience as well. 

I haven't played WoW since burning crusade, but back then melee tended to be the strongest in PvP (fucking Fury warriors).  Not sure if I've played an mmo in awhile where range felt like it had the big advantage it tradionally enjoyed in PvP in a long time (but I've also pretty much stopped playing MMO's in the last few years).

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #373 on: January 27, 2015, 02:34:03 PM

That wasn't really true in sb though.

I'll say this about SB, I thought they had great character classes.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #374 on: January 27, 2015, 02:43:50 PM

I loved the character classes and the skill system in Shadowbane. That game had so many good ideas ruined by utter clownshoes execution.

kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #375 on: January 27, 2015, 02:54:32 PM

I do miss my old centaur amazon from SB. I am curious how play to crush they are going to be this time. The problem with play 2 crush tends to be you wind up with the crushees getting annoyed at being crushed and leaving so you are stuck with a bunch of bored crushers who don't like fair fights so tend not to fight each other. You also tend to get one mega guild on each server that totally controls everything.

We shall see if they can learn enough from the mistakes of the past to make a run at it. I would be willing to give it a try because for the time I did play SB it really did have some fun stuff that I quite enjoyed.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #376 on: January 27, 2015, 03:43:47 PM

We need an updated stages of grief for a game with this crowd.

We start by hating it
Then move to talking about stuff that is reminiscent
Then move to Well maybe if this happens
Then get sorta up for it
Then get in beta
Then hate it again and predict failure for all involved.

schild
Administrator

Reply #377 on: January 28, 2015, 01:16:16 AM

We start by hating it
Then get sorta up for it
Then get in beta
Start at step 6. Its 2015, not 2008.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #378 on: January 28, 2015, 03:27:28 AM

"We think Crowfall is a very different flavor of MMO – internally, we call it a Throne War Simulator."

awesome, for real

ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #379 on: January 28, 2015, 03:41:18 AM

Not enough popcorn in the world.

There should be a reality show about the making of this game.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #380 on: January 28, 2015, 03:43:16 AM

I've been asking for a reality show about the making of a major MMO since 2001. Since Anarchy Online and their launch.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #381 on: January 28, 2015, 05:53:11 AM

Not enough popcorn in the world.

There should be a reality show about the making of this game.

I really think that the amount of popcorn should be in a ratio to the amount of people who give a shit. There aren't enough people who give a shit.
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #382 on: January 28, 2015, 06:39:24 AM

I don't think there's enough to make the game viable, but there are certainly enough for popcorn.

They're just not here. Everyone here knows better.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #383 on: January 28, 2015, 07:08:38 AM

We start by hating it
Then get sorta up for it
Then get in beta
Start at step 6. Its 2015, not 2008.

So updated for 2015:

Hate it and predict failure.
Make a 30 page thread about how stupid it looks.
Have people sign up for the beta to mock it.
Keep the hate flowing.
Watch the fallout at release.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #384 on: January 28, 2015, 07:40:22 AM

-Rasix
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 41 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Crowfall aka Play2Crush aka Shadowbane II aka Nostalgia Online  
Jump to: