Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:22:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Marvel's Jessica Jones 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Marvel's Jessica Jones  (Read 45233 times)
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: November 21, 2015, 11:42:52 AM

After watching the first one, really liked that they didn't feel the need to do an origin story, and that main character has an actual past we don't know about. I don't think Marvel have been confident enough to do that before. This felt even more relaxed about being a grown up drama than Daredevil.

Rytter is ok, but the supporting cast is much stronger.

You just haven't watched far enough if you think they won't do the whole origin story / flashbacks.  Ohhhhh, I see.

I watched it halfway thru the season but I'm going to put it on backburner and watch the comments to see if the latter half is worth watching since I felt it got pretty mediocre by episode 7. The actors are ok but the script seems a bit weak and a better writer might have made it into an interesting psychological thriller without any superpowers.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: November 21, 2015, 11:57:22 AM

I finished it and I liked the series overall.  I think Ritter is kind of weak as Jessica Jones, but the rest of the cast is solid.  I think it's on par with Daredevil, but it's definitely a different feel/tone of a show.  I think it's biggest hurdle is that Jessica Jones isn't as popular a character as Daredevil.

I'd really like to see a Hellcat show and at least they got some of Luke Cage's back story out of the way already.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: November 21, 2015, 01:54:40 PM

Im glad ill never have to watch supergirl now that this show exist.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: November 21, 2015, 05:02:56 PM

Can I just mention how good I think the casting on Luke Cage is?

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: November 21, 2015, 05:21:09 PM

Can I just mention how good I think the casting on Luke Cage is?

Yeah Luke Cage is perfect casting. 
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #40 on: November 21, 2015, 07:07:59 PM

This sounds identical casting to Daredevil.  Villain=perfect, Hero=awkward, Sidekick Hero=excellent.  I will still watch it.  Can't be worse than Agents of Shield or Gotham...

And to derail:  in all these shows the actors playing the villains (e.g. Ward, Kingpin, Penguin) are the best and most interesting.  Really don't understand showbiz.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: November 21, 2015, 07:10:59 PM

So yeah, Luke Cage and Tennant were awesome in this but I still really didn't like Ritter as Jessica. There were a couple of episodes that felt kind of weak, but overall it was a pretty damn good show. I still like DareDevil more, but this is worth watching imo (even with a couple of shaky mid-season episodes).

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: November 21, 2015, 09:14:09 PM

Tennant's Kilgrave could be the best marvel villain to date.  The sheer absence of humanity coupled with the worst power you could imagine giving that sort of monster is terrifying in a way that space aliens and laser robots just can't match.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: November 22, 2015, 03:05:10 AM

They way they built him up before you saw him was great. 
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: November 22, 2015, 04:24:13 AM

Finished. Good, but not near Daredevil good. I don't like that she and Kilgrave never mention the Devil that was all over the news... Or that the NY skyline is missing Stark/Avengers tower.  I also found Ritter to be a bit wooden and the portrayal of her powers to be inconsistent in power levels and pretty much straight out of the 1980s in quality. There was a lot that was good, but the negatives were really disappointing to me as most of them seemed avoidable.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #45 on: November 22, 2015, 05:45:02 AM

Russia cut my internet off for no obvious reason the day this launched (using my phone).  Starting to feel it's not a coincidence.   Ohhhhh, I see.

Really want to watch this.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: November 22, 2015, 06:03:00 AM

Finished. Good, but not near Daredevil good. I don't like that she and Kilgrave never mention the Devil that was all over the news... Or that the NY skyline is missing Stark/Avengers tower.  I also found Ritter to be a bit wooden and the portrayal of her powers to be inconsistent in power levels and pretty much straight out of the 1980s in quality. There was a lot that was good, but the negatives were really disappointing to me as most of them seemed avoidable.

I'm not gonna nitpick you on everything but the idea that this somehow needed to be part of the larger interconnected marvel universe up to date with the latest goings on is horse shit.  Perhaps they should have little asterisk during scenes saying *happened in agents of shield ep35" when something is referenced? No? That's because it would be terrible just like it is in comics.  The marvel world is obviously interconnected, it doesn't NEED to be referenced every single time because the whole point of world building is that once you lay the foundation you DON'T need to keep laying it.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: November 22, 2015, 07:17:32 AM

Inconsistencies in a shared world should be addressed or avoided. The lack of Stark tower, the failure of the PI in Hell's Kitchen to know of the biggest news in her area since the invasion of New York?  If it is a shared universe, it needs to be a shared universe.

Most of the other problems I have with the show go into spoiler realm for those that have not seen it, so I'll wait on those.

If the choice is Jessica Jones season 2 or season 1 of a different character, I'd lean towards a Moon Night or Punisher series at this point, but That would not be saying I would not come back for JJ 2.... Overall I enjoyed it despite the problems.

Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: November 22, 2015, 08:39:52 AM

I'm not gonna nitpick you on everything but the idea that this somehow needed to be part of the larger interconnected marvel universe up to date with the latest goings on is horse shit.  Perhaps they should have little asterisk during scenes saying *happened in agents of shield ep35" when something is referenced? No? That's because it would be terrible just like it is in comics.  The marvel world is obviously interconnected, it doesn't NEED to be referenced every single time because the whole point of world building is that once you lay the foundation you DON'T need to keep laying it.

^This. They made enough mention to the Marvel universe without overdoing it. Especially when JJ and Killgrave were only worried about each other for the most part, they did not give a shit about what was going on outside of their own little world as they rotated between hunter and prey. Which leads to not needing the Avengers tower either since this was even more focused on a micro level than DD was. DD was worried about all of Hell's kitchen, JJ was only worried about 5 people. There's no need to even zoom out and see the Avengers tower.

However, I do agree that a Moon Knight or Punisher (if Punisher is done well enough on DD s2) would be preferred. Especially as another reminder as to why these shows are so much better when they're not being held back by network tv.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: November 22, 2015, 09:38:03 AM

Can't help thinking that some of the "problems" people are talking about relate to expectations rather than a drop in quality.

Agents underwhelmed following expectations set by the films.

Daredevil outperformed following expectations set by Agents.

Jessica is being talked down for not being a huge leap forward from Daredevil. I'm only a few episodes in, but I don't see any more issues with this than Daredevil had.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
cironian
Terracotta Army

play his game!: solarwar.net

Reply #50 on: November 22, 2015, 11:00:35 AM

Enjoyed it more than DD (which was also good), but

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: November 22, 2015, 07:26:16 PM

^This. They made enough mention to the Marvel universe without overdoing it. Especially when JJ and Killgrave were only worried about each other for the most part, they did not give a shit about what was going on outside of their own little world as they rotated between hunter and prey. Which leads to not needing the Avengers tower either since this was even more focused on a micro level than DD was. DD was worried about all of Hell's kitchen, JJ was only worried about 5 people. There's no need to even zoom out and see the Avengers tower.

However, I do agree that a Moon Knight or Punisher (if Punisher is done well enough on DD s2) would be preferred. Especially as another reminder as to why these shows are so much better when they're not being held back by network tv.

There is a difference between not mentioning the shared universe, which I'm perfectly fine with (specially when they can't even use the real names and have to continuously say crap like "the big green guy" and "the flag waver") and something like Avengers tower not being there at all. 

I am the .00000001428%
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: November 22, 2015, 07:40:13 PM

This isn't a supergirl situation where they can't mention other marvel shit, any choice to omit names is very much intentional. Besides I think that everyone is trying to forget the avengers now  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: November 23, 2015, 09:43:56 AM

There is a difference between not mentioning the shared universe, which I'm perfectly fine with (specially when they can't even use the real names and have to continuously say crap like "the big green guy" and "the flag waver") and something like Avengers tower not being there at all. 

So you'd rather they show something that in no way shape or form needs to be shown instead of mentioning the shared universe which is currently building up to civil war? Really?

This isn't a supergirl situation where they can't mention other marvel shit, any choice to omit names is very much intentional. Besides I think that everyone is trying to forget the avengers now  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

And yeah, "flag waver" felt more like Jessica putting her attitude on his name while "the big green guy" felt more like she truly doesn't know his name because most people don't at this point afaik.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: November 23, 2015, 10:04:19 AM

In a world where we refer to people by nicknames all the time, I'm not sure "big green guy" is any different than referring to Calvin Johnson as Megatron.

beer geek.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: November 23, 2015, 10:26:14 AM

Who?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: November 23, 2015, 11:22:01 AM

I'd consider the tower to be a continuity error and exactly as important as if she were sitting in Cage's bar and her glass was half empty in one shot and half full in the next.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #57 on: November 23, 2015, 11:22:56 AM

Who?
American Football player.

Edit: this guy

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: November 23, 2015, 11:55:12 AM

I'd consider the tower to be a continuity error and exactly as important as if she were sitting in Cage's bar and her glass was half empty in one shot and half full in the next.

Are there any specific shots were the tower would definitely be in the picture? I honestly have no clue in new york where the tower is even supposed to be nor can I think of more then 1-2 shots(up to ep9) where they even show a slight skyline.

edit: reddit search to the rescue but the consensus seems to be it just wasnt cost effective to add it into the shot, continuity error or not. It was however in promo art/posters so they acknowledge the tower would be there. https://www.reddit.com/r/JessicaJones/comments/3tsjm5/starkavengers_tower_missing/
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 11:58:51 AM by Lakov_Sanite »

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #59 on: November 23, 2015, 12:45:13 PM

I haven't watched it yet, but if the Avengers tower being missing in one or two shots is the worst geeks can throw at it, I'm going to guess it's worth watching.

Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: November 23, 2015, 01:13:34 PM

Are there any specific shots were the tower would definitely be in the picture? I honestly have no clue in new york where the tower is even supposed to be nor can I think of more then 1-2 shots(up to ep9) where they even show a slight skyline.

edit: reddit search to the rescue but the consensus seems to be it just wasnt cost effective to add it into the shot, continuity error or not. It was however in promo art/posters so they acknowledge the tower would be there. https://www.reddit.com/r/JessicaJones/comments/3tsjm5/starkavengers_tower_missing/

I forgot about the bridge shot and how it should have shown the tower for that whole 3 seconds out of the 13 hours of show. So as minor as it may be it is a continuity issue, yet it's so small and dumb I still don't care or find it necessary. Especially given that the Avengers logo is on a side of the tower which is not viewable by Hell's Kitchen anyways:

In a bit of creative license, the Daredevil motion poster depicts the building turned 90 degrees from its orientation in the movies so that the logo can be seen. From Hell's Kitchen, the western side of the building would be visible, but the logo is on the southern side.

Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: November 23, 2015, 01:19:20 PM

I haven't watched it yet, but if the Avengers tower being missing in one or two shots is the worst geeks can throw at it, I'm going to guess it's worth watching.

Pretty much. There are more valid concerns in this thread, but nothing major. I think eldaec got it right by saying it's not a drop of quality but a rise of expectations, since the show really is very good. Hell, it's worth watching just for Tennant as Killgrave imo.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: November 23, 2015, 01:21:27 PM

Who?
American Football player.

Edit: this guy

That's bullshit.  Where's his fusion cannon ?

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: November 23, 2015, 01:33:43 PM

There is a chance that there could be riders in contracts that 'cost' Marvel money when the real character name is used.  It could be money going to actors (unlikely), or money going from one hand of Marvel (TV) to the another (movies) (not too unlikely).  Regardless, it'd explain some of the assanine nicknames.  The movies reference the Hulk in media coverage in both Avengers and Avengers II, so the name of the monster that helpped save the world should be known widely.

The tower should have been in several shots of the city.  If you rewatch the series and think about it, you'll see a lot of shots with the skyline.

Anyways, those are minor quibbles when it comes to the series.  My major complaint is the ...
I did, however, love the way they did the Luke Cage fights. 

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #64 on: November 23, 2015, 01:35:22 PM

He's not allowed to carry it on him during games.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: November 23, 2015, 01:37:48 PM

He's not allowed to carry it on him during games.

Oh.  That makes sense then.  Cool.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: November 23, 2015, 02:54:15 PM

Here's JG and his spoiler problem with the show.

Here's the point of JJ's motivation and the show.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: November 23, 2015, 03:10:59 PM

Just finished it, show was excellent.

My only complaints would be how inconsistent Jessica's powers are portrayed and random cop man character. The powers were likely a budget thing, so whatever, I'll deal. Cop man character though? Holy contrived.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: November 23, 2015, 06:59:16 PM

Just finished it, show was excellent.

My only complaints would be how inconsistent Jessica's powers are portrayed and random cop man character. The powers were likely a budget thing, so whatever, I'll deal. Cop man character though? Holy contrived.

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #69 on: November 24, 2015, 11:13:29 AM

Watched ep1 last night and will definitely watch more.

I have never played WoW.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Marvel's Jessica Jones  
Jump to: