Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 08:44:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor  (Read 102935 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #420 on: October 24, 2014, 05:00:16 PM

That comparison is wretched. Arkham was basically what batman always should have been. Orc political action sim has nothing to do with lotr.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #421 on: October 24, 2014, 05:10:32 PM

Beat this.  End battle was kind of dumb, but whatever.  Finished at 87.6% completion, which is usually better than I bother with for most games nowadays.   I may go for 100%ing it, although what I have left are mostly slave and dagger missions, which were my least favorite.

My warchiefs, by luck, were stupidly OP.  Well, at least one was: he had some sort of exploding fire arrow. He was just taking down groups all by himself.

-Rasix
craan
Terracotta Army

... . ...br.. . ..br. . ...br

Reply #422 on: October 24, 2014, 07:04:26 PM

The fifth warchief I had to brand was invulnerable to everything.  He also had two bonuses, one that gave him increased damage so he hit much harder and one that gave him increased running speed.  So he'd always hightail it out of the area when low on health and I couldn't catch him.  After 2 or 3 chases across Mordor I caught him in a fort and managed a mad scramble across the rooftops and cut him off.  In my excitement I forgot to brand him and killed him so i was a bit annoyed but I hoped his replacement would be a bit less buffed.

No worries, though.  His replacement turned out to be a captain I had branded so it ended up counting as a Warchief brand  Heart

PWYWWYFSWLSOCA
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #423 on: October 24, 2014, 07:22:58 PM

That comparison is wretched. Arkham was basically what batman always should have been. Orc political action sim has nothing to do with lotr.
Heh, calling this an Orc political action sim is like saying Arkham was about crime-fighting.

My point was that both are great games, are based on IP that have had movies that neither game is particularly tied to and therefore not restricted by, and this is such a rare event we can count on one hand how often this has happened.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #424 on: October 24, 2014, 07:37:32 PM

I have two local sites that I have used, where one feels legit and the other feels potentially dodgy.  I figure the legality of their enterprise is primarily their problem, as long as they aren't screwing me over.  They both use legal and thoroughly vetted payment solutions as well.  The prices are so good that I may never buy straight from Steam, Origin (I have kids), or any brick and mortar outlet for PC games ever again.  At least 40% off on even newly released stuff.

details?

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #425 on: October 24, 2014, 07:38:14 PM

Anyone else get the freebie code for "Shadow of Mordor - Power of Shadow" DLC? Looks like it's another play-the-bad-guy DLC, but I have only just started downloading.

I don't think it's a code - it's just bundled into the update, isn't it?

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #426 on: October 24, 2014, 07:40:27 PM

I suppose my main point is that I'm glad it was made even if it turns out to be unpopular in execution.

It's mostly Schild and a couple of "I hate Tolkien" people here bitching about the IP though, isn't it? I've not encountered that kind of butthurt anywhere else about this title, so I'm not sure if you can call it unpopular in execution.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #427 on: October 24, 2014, 09:54:56 PM

The fifth warchief I had to brand was invulnerable to everything.  He also had two bonuses, one that gave him increased damage so he hit much harder and one that gave him increased running speed.  So he'd always hightail it out of the area when low on health and I couldn't catch him.  After 2 or 3 chases across Mordor I caught him in a fort and managed a mad scramble across the rooftops and cut him off.  In my excitement I forgot to brand him and killed him so i was a bit annoyed but I hoped his replacement would be a bit less buffed.

No worries, though.  His replacement turned out to be a captain I had branded so it ended up counting as a Warchief brand  Heart

Yah, the fifth guy I had was one of those. On the way there, I randomly shadow strike executed a captain.  What I didn't notice is that it was his bodyguard I had branded.  Ohhhhh, I see.  So, I did the fight anyways and got lucky that my exploding crossbow guy showed up and burned down the warchief along with me activating the sword special ability and branding everything in sight.   He did a good enough job that I grabbed him afterwards and promoted him to the job.  One graul hunt later (I just tamed it), he was the new warchief.  That guy was money. 

-Rasix
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #428 on: October 25, 2014, 01:13:13 AM

I have two local sites that I have used, where one feels legit and the other feels potentially dodgy.  I figure the legality of their enterprise is primarily their problem, as long as they aren't screwing me over.  They both use legal and thoroughly vetted payment solutions as well.  The prices are so good that I may never buy straight from Steam, Origin (I have kids), or any brick and mortar outlet for PC games ever again.  At least 40% off on even newly released stuff.

details?

The more legit feeling one is called playgames.dk.  The slightly less legit feeling one is called oneplay.dk (I have used it and got my keys from it, so it does work).

No idea if foreign credit cards or IPs work, that could be a problem.  Overall, I feel like I get my games now for the same price as in the US market, and occasionally even cheaper.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #429 on: October 27, 2014, 02:01:08 PM

Enjoyed the hell out of this until I didn't anymore.

Took a few days break, then popped it in and just rush finished it. 

Still, all in all about 16 hours of fun.  More than expected for me.  The whole orc nemesis thing was so great until it got boring.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #430 on: October 27, 2014, 02:54:31 PM

They need a Carregor (sp?) nemesis system, I've been killed by more of those fuckers than Orcs.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #431 on: October 29, 2014, 10:08:07 AM

I tend to die fairly frequently, because I often (sorta deliberately) bite off more than I can chew.  I rather enjoy getting killed by them and hearing them talk shit to me, and then come back and get revenge.  I have not tired of it yet, and I suppose I am 12 hours in.  Still in the first area.  The last few times I have played, I have advanced the story not at all, nor have I really felt compelled to.

Warchief with his poison crossbow and his bodyguard with a crossbow, fuck those guys.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #432 on: October 29, 2014, 02:54:19 PM

Still, all in all about 16 hours of fun.  More than expected for me.  The whole orc nemesis thing was so great until it got boring.

You will be happy to know that I have avenged you twice now.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #433 on: October 29, 2014, 04:25:06 PM

Who is ChiefTripodBear again?  Some Fat Guy keeps killing you, and needs avenging apparently.  I've tried twice now, and that fucker has kicked the ever loving shit out of me.  Stop pissing off fat people!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 05:13:22 PM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #434 on: October 29, 2014, 07:13:28 PM

Man this game really does deliver.

I am genuinely happy to know that.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #435 on: October 30, 2014, 03:37:29 PM

Man this game really does deliver.

I am genuinely happy to know that.

I was super excited. I saw the quest and was like "this fucker is going DOWN".
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #436 on: October 30, 2014, 05:37:02 PM

Ha yea I love when the revenge quests are people here. I'm not sure how they do that though. Is it just people on your friends list and people on theirs'? Is it random? Region based? Lots of times I don't recognize the names, but I think once I avenged Merusk? Or maybe not. M somebody but not Morfiend.

About to brand the fifth warchief. Almost maxxed out on everything, but decided to side track into the main quest. Dwarfdude is annoying. But, I have branded about 2/3 of world so half my objectives are achieved by my blue glowy-eyed allies. Heck, some caragor question was immediately resolved for me the moment it started.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #437 on: October 30, 2014, 06:05:04 PM

It picks people out of your Steam groups even if you're not directly friends, I think.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #438 on: October 30, 2014, 06:26:05 PM

I've avenged several of you, but most often Darniaq.

D, you seem to die a lot.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #439 on: October 30, 2014, 07:41:24 PM

It's mostly Fridays and Saturday nights, around the third or fourth drink  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

How long does the revenge timer last? Hours, days, weeks? There any rules?
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #440 on: October 31, 2014, 06:02:24 AM

There any rules?

First rule of avenging. Talk about avenging.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #441 on: October 31, 2014, 01:23:35 PM

I run and hide on my tower too much  why so serious?
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #442 on: October 31, 2014, 08:00:24 PM

It's mostly Fridays and Saturday nights, around the third or fourth drink  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

How long does the revenge timer last? Hours, days, weeks? There any rules?

If I don't avenge someone but advance the timer or die, the mission goes away and I may or may not get a new one. So whatever that timer is, seems like an hour or two.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #443 on: October 31, 2014, 09:17:50 PM

Ah. And also, I always have two options for a Tower: fast travel or advance timer. Why would I ever do the latter? Never have, don't know what the point would be.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #444 on: October 31, 2014, 09:25:24 PM

Sometimes you need to repop the captains/warchiefs. Dying is one way to do it. Advance time is another way. There's also a stupid hunting challenge where Advance time can be helpful.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #445 on: November 01, 2014, 03:27:59 AM

So my fancy TV has finally arrived, so I can start playing this thing.

Do I need to get peoples' PSN names? Mine should be pretty obvious if people would like to add me to their own lists.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #446 on: November 01, 2014, 03:44:01 AM

Do I need to get peoples' PSN names? Mine should be pretty obvious if people would like to add me to their own lists.

PC Master Race 4Life!!!
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #447 on: November 01, 2014, 11:24:23 AM

Sometimes you need to repop the captains/warchiefs. Dying is one way to do it. Advance time is another way. There's also a stupid hunting challenge where Advance time can be helpful.

Ah. Haven't run into the need to repop anything, and haven't done much on hunting challenges. Playing this so slow I'll probably not be anywhere slow to 100%ing it.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #448 on: November 01, 2014, 11:38:48 AM

Ah. Haven't run into the need to repop anything, and haven't done much on hunting challenges. Playing this so slow I'll probably not be anywhere slow to 100%ing it.

It sounds like you use method #1 to repop quite frequently... why so serious?

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #449 on: November 01, 2014, 03:36:30 PM

PC Master Race 4Life!!!

I know but I figured I need something on the ps4. New pc arriving soon.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #450 on: November 01, 2014, 09:19:51 PM

It sounds like you use method #1 to repop quite frequently... why so serious?

Come on, I haven't died in hours. HOURS!
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #451 on: November 02, 2014, 11:57:56 AM

Cuz you haven't played in hours?

I want to advance time simply because I have this thing about murdering Captains, so they are always down at around level 5 (except Zog the Tiny, who keeps coming back to life).  Only problem is that for some reason the instant I hit the button, it crashed my rig.  Every time.  So weird.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #452 on: November 02, 2014, 12:02:27 PM

I did the opposite -- I death threat'd all of them, branded them, and tried to get them to 20. And then I didn't explode them all near the end* so I didn't get their runes. Oops.

* The game resets all the captains/warchiefs when you complete the main story, which I didn't know at the time
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #453 on: November 02, 2014, 12:39:55 PM

Argh. I haven't really played since I finished it, but I didn't realise that they all get reset. I had also gotten most of them to 20, and branded almost all of the warchiefs in the second area (excepting some dead ones and random replacements.)

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #454 on: November 02, 2014, 12:54:33 PM

It's kind of funny with this game where you guys are talking about leveling up the orcs, when all my efforts have been to keep them totally neutered.  Then again, I don't even have brand or even understand wtf it does.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor  
Jump to: