Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:52:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Soccer thread 2014/2015 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Soccer thread 2014/2015  (Read 62311 times)
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #140 on: June 24, 2015, 07:08:47 AM

I've watched all of Canada's matches so far, plus a couple others. It's reasonably entertaining. It's also quite hilarious how much less flopping there is in the women's game.

No kidding. Women get knocked to the ground, they pop back up and keep going. It is quite refreshing... though Columbia seemed to have learned a bit too much diving from the men's team.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
penfold
Terracotta Army

Reply #141 on: June 24, 2015, 02:24:08 PM

Grammar matters.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #142 on: June 24, 2015, 02:40:30 PM

PHRASING, BOOM!

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #143 on: June 24, 2015, 02:48:24 PM

I like where Canada's heads are at.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: June 25, 2015, 07:56:06 PM

I like where Canada's heads are at.

That's not a sign encouraging Team Canada.  The WWC is being held in Canada and I have no idea who they are supporting.  We should find out, though, and start shaming them because its clearly encouraging rape culture.  Triggered!
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #145 on: June 25, 2015, 08:23:28 PM

Based on the three lions I would bet England.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: June 26, 2015, 03:44:26 PM

Amazing match between Germany and France.  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

edit: And finally the USA looked like the no.2 team. That was so fun to watch. Still lacking in goal scoring, but they completely dominated China for 90m.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 06:31:20 PM by 01101010 »

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: June 27, 2015, 06:31:06 PM

Germany vs USA
England vs Japan

Anyone wanna play Axis and Allies?  why so serious?

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #148 on: June 29, 2015, 10:14:37 AM

Pretty much exactly what I was expecting. Just looking at the field the pool is really thin. There are basically 3 real contenders in this thing to win it every year (Germany, USA, Japan) and then the rest of the field. Norway was the exception to the rule 20 years ago.

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: June 30, 2015, 04:00:01 PM

Pretty much exactly what I was expecting. Just looking at the field the pool is really thin. There are basically 3 real contenders in this thing to win it every year (Germany, USA, Japan) and then the rest of the field. Norway was the exception to the rule 20 years ago.

Not to turn this into politics or anything but that's what it's like for most women's team sports.  You have the top tier consisting of a handful of rich western countries followed by a middling pool of nations, also usually rich and western, followed by everyone else. Soccer.  Hockey.  Basketball.  They're all like that.  The top women players are usually very, very good skill wise.  The rest..dog shit.  Even the top females in team sports are nowhere near their male counterparts.  The Canadian women's hockey team, which has won the Olympic gold medal 4 out of 5 times, gets beat on a regular basis by boys teams where the players are 14-15, playing by the same rules that govern women's hockey, which prohibits body checking.  The same thing happens with the US women.  

TLDR, there's just not enough competition in women's team sports to make it interesting to watch beyond the finals or maybe semi finals.  Individual women's sports, like tennis and track & field, is an entirely different matter.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 04:04:15 PM by Ginaz »
WayAbvPar

Reply #150 on: June 30, 2015, 04:32:22 PM

The first half hour of USA v Germany has been terrific.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

Reply #151 on: June 30, 2015, 04:55:32 PM

The first half hour of USA v Germany has been terrific.

And as usual, USA has no capability of finishing.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: June 30, 2015, 05:59:12 PM

You were saying?

For all the kvetching about this team they've given up exactly ONE goal the whole tournament. Germany just didn't have any answers.

Go the English!

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #153 on: June 30, 2015, 06:05:52 PM

You were saying?

For all the kvetching about this team they've given up exactly ONE goal the whole tournament. Germany just didn't have any answers.

Go the English!

I never said their defense wasn't top shelf. They just haven't finished any set pieces well or any offensive push. O'Hara came off the bench and showed how to do it. Outside of that... lacking.

Shocked, utterly shocked Sasic missed her PK. Had Solo beat and pushed it just wide. In the end, it wouldn't have mattered. 

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: July 01, 2015, 12:18:27 AM

Messi and Argentina seem to have gotten some true mojo going.  An Argentine trophy actually in the works? It's amazing with their talent that they have been so crappy on the international stage.  A Copa could springboard them towards a Wold Cup in 2018 with Messi still in his prime even then (barring injury).   Tthe 2016 Copa  up here in the U.S should be interesting.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #155 on: July 01, 2015, 04:45:05 AM

You were saying?

Go the English!

I did watch the second half of this game. I thought the USA defense should have been punished more than they were for bad ball-handling and really poor 50/50 balls. The German PK came on one of those situations where no defender should let the opposing team member work around her from behind on that bounce, then yanked her down when she realized she'd been beaten.

I thought the PK awarded to the USA was crap. But luckily it wasn't the deciding goal since my favorite player on the team O'Hara from Georgia, showed how to finish a cross.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: July 01, 2015, 06:24:55 AM

I'm a teensy bit in love with O'hara.

The PKs were bad, however Johnson has been a damn stud this whole tournament so I can give her a pass on one bad moment. The fact remains Sasic couldn't even put the kick on frame. Monumental. Choke. Job.  It DID matter hugely because Germany being up 1-0 would've changed the whole complexion of that game.

The US PK was a bit crap, it was a foul (though we didn't need all the diving and shit from Morgan) however it was just outside the box. Oh well.

At the end of the day the team who played better in that game won. While Germany had their moments, the US did outplay them for most of the match.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #157 on: July 01, 2015, 07:04:24 AM

Also random question, why is the final being played in Vancouver? I would've thought Toronto or Ottawa?

Terracotta Army

Reply #158 on: July 01, 2015, 07:56:23 AM

Also random question, why is the final being played in Vancouver? I would've thought Toronto or Ottawa?

Because the Pacific Northwest is insanely awesome?  awesome, for real

Dunno though. Was set as the venue from the get go.

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #159 on: July 01, 2015, 09:50:42 AM

Because the Pacific Northwest is insanely awesome?  awesome, for real

Dunno though. Was set as the venue from the get go.

Toronto is hosting the Pan Am games shortly so they didn't have a facility ready to host it...or want anything to take attention away from games.  You don't want to know how much money was spent on that nothing burger of an event.  Ottawa doesn't really have a facility large enough to host such an event.  The stadium that the CFL team plays in holds less than 25k people.  BC Place Stadium in Vancouver can have around 55k fans.  Plus it has a retractable roof in case of rain, which it is apt to do in Vancouver, see the Olympic ski hills in 2010 for that.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #160 on: July 01, 2015, 11:08:43 AM

The Pan Am games still exist?

WayAbvPar

Reply #161 on: July 01, 2015, 11:47:09 AM

Is that the same thing as the Goodwill Games? Or did that (deservedly) go tits up? I won tickets to the prelim boxing matches from a 7-11 when the GWG were in Seattle in 1990. Went with my brother. First live boxing I had ever seen. It was interesting enough (for free!), but my lasting memory is the vast difference in sizes of the weight classes. On TV, you always see the boxers near each other, so they look relatively normal sized. In person, I saw flyweights fight in the same ring as heavyweights did a few minutes later. It was jarring to see how different they were! Something I knew intellectually, but seeing it in person really hammered it home.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #162 on: July 01, 2015, 05:51:39 PM

Ahhh English football...

In a way I think they deserve that for the SHITASTIC brand of football they were playing on the attack. Seriously hit another long ball into the box England.....

WayAbvPar

Reply #163 on: July 01, 2015, 07:42:53 PM

Ahhh English football...

In a way I think they deserve that for the SHITASTIC brand of football they were playing on the attack. Seriously hit another long ball into the box England.....

No one deserves that. Holy shit. That is the worst thing ever.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #164 on: July 02, 2015, 05:04:21 AM

England was supposed to lose, but not like that.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #165 on: July 02, 2015, 05:08:45 AM

Yeah it was supposed to go to penalty kicks because England has a stellar track record with those in the World Cup...

Wasn't overly impressed with Japan last night, I believe this is the US's to lose.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #166 on: July 02, 2015, 05:37:20 AM

It is the USA's to lose. They were even with Germany in the betting odds, but in this match they are ridiculously favored. To the tune of -135 on the money line. Japan is 3.5 to 1. That's large.

Terracotta Army

Reply #167 on: July 02, 2015, 06:20:16 AM

It is the USA's to lose. They were even with Germany in the betting odds, but in this match they are ridiculously favored. To the tune of -135 on the money line. Japan is 3.5 to 1. That's large.

I can't see the US losing to Japan again, but if they can't up the scoring output... Then there is a chance that it is Japan's for the taking.

Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #168 on: July 02, 2015, 06:59:15 AM

Ahhh English football...

My Japanese wife actually cried for Laura Bassett after that happened.  Brutal- the worst possible way to lose a World Cup game.  

I think Japan will make this closer than most people think, but the US goes up 2-0 early and wins 2-1.  Go back and watch the first half of the 2011 final- US should have been up 5-0 at the half but had that many balls miss by inches or hit the crossbar a millimeter too high.  US is better than in 2011, and Japan has regressed slightly.  

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Terracotta Army

Reply #169 on: July 02, 2015, 07:15:13 AM

Ahhh English football...

My Japanese wife actually cried for Laura Bassett after that happened.  Brutal- the worst possible way to lose a World Cup game.  

I think Japan will make this closer than most people think, but the US goes up 2-0 early and wins 2-1.  Go back and watch the first half of the 2011 final- US should have been up 5-0 at the half but had that many balls miss by inches or hit the crossbar a millimeter too high.  US is better than in 2011, and Japan has regressed slightly.  

The US still has a hard time finishing though. I agree with you on the 2-0 thing. But if they continue to be the USA team of this tournament then it will be 0-0 at half and 1-0 by the 65th minute. Maybe I was spoiled by the German men's team completely destroying Brazil last year... that is how I think you should dominate a match. Sadly, that is the rare exception.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #170 on: July 05, 2015, 04:17:26 PM

Heh, up 4-0 after 15 minutes.

-H.L. Mencken
Terracotta Army

Reply #171 on: July 05, 2015, 04:22:29 PM

So much for finishing...

They can't miss - where the hell has this been all tourney?

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #172 on: July 05, 2015, 04:45:48 PM

I wish they wouldn't go into this shell and let Japan get into their comfort zone with possession.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #173 on: July 05, 2015, 05:09:34 PM

Now they are scoring for the other team!

-H.L. Mencken
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #174 on: July 05, 2015, 05:36:26 PM

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Soccer thread 2014/2015  
Jump to: