Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 10:14:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Monkey Copyrights 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Monkey Copyrights  (Read 11450 times)
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #35 on: August 21, 2014, 12:13:44 PM

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: August 21, 2014, 12:21:02 PM

Monkeys get no respect.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #37 on: August 21, 2014, 12:23:03 PM

Agreed.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #38 on: August 22, 2014, 05:53:55 AM

Respect must be earned.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: August 28, 2014, 04:20:29 AM

Actually if you follow the link from the Ars Technica story, I think Ars Technica interpreted it wrongly. The long draft of the code revisions doesn't actually reference this case specifically. It just says: Monkeys (or other non-humans) cannot hold a copyright. But it doesn't say, "If a monkey grabs a camera and presses the button, is the monkey the author of the work (an author who then cannot hold copyright)?" Which is what the photographer is disputing: he says, "I'm the author of the work, because it's my camera and I was taking pictures of monkeys". Humans can still hold copyright, so if he's right in that respect, the revised US Code would still give him copyright. What Wikimedia is trying to say is, "If the monkey took the picture, the monkey is the author, and thus public domain".

On the other hand, the revised code does say right in that same section, "If an elephant paints a painting, the elephant made it--and it is public domain, because elephants can't hold copyright". So that seems to back up Wikimedia.

On the other other hand, that section of the revised code also says, "If someone attempts to copyright a poem to the Holy Spirit, saying that the Holy Spirit wrote the poem, they can't, because we don't recognize immaterial deities as able to hold copyright". And in that case, it basically says, "Whomever really wrote it is the author and the holder of copyright". I presume if the author disguises their identity, once again, it's public domain rather than the intellectual property of the Holy Spirit.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #40 on: August 28, 2014, 08:21:12 AM

I do find all this fascinating.  I imagine that non-humans have taken photographs in the past, but perhaps the human that owned the camera didn't have anyone questioning ownership like this, or perhaps he simply punched the monkey or copyright troll.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: August 28, 2014, 09:11:02 AM

Not unrelated tangent - will this have implications for art done by animals? I know you can buy paintings done by elephants.
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: August 28, 2014, 09:45:22 AM

Um, scroll up a couple inches?

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: August 28, 2014, 02:08:19 PM

I completely missed that sentence. Whoops. Thanks to Khaldun for doing the hard work!
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Monkey Copyrights  
Jump to: