Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 05:06:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Steam summer sale 2014 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Steam summer sale 2014  (Read 96373 times)
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #175 on: June 24, 2014, 01:06:05 PM

Wow I totally don't care about any of this shit.
Get rid of "Usefully Cynical Commentary," f13 has a new slogan.

I think it's been that way for a while, now.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #176 on: June 24, 2014, 01:23:16 PM

Apparently my Steam is a liar, I don't have any of the DLC for New Vegas.  Are any of the DLC really worth playing through, however?
As mentioned dead money was terrible, and you're stuck there until you finish so don't save over your old games.  It also bugged out so bad that I couldn't travel within the DLC and got stuck there.  Honest hearts was okay but not great.  I liked Old World Blues, good setting and some fun characters and quests.  Lonesome road is terrible but was touted as the 'finale' so I slogged through it.  It was clearly thrown together in a rush without the resources to do much of anything, the dialogue and plot were also really bad.

The only one I'd bother playing is Old World Blues.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #177 on: June 24, 2014, 01:36:24 PM

Grabbed DragonAge (the original) yesterday because the ultimate edition was under $10, I've never played the expansion, and I didn't have any of it on Steam, so why not.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #178 on: June 24, 2014, 06:15:19 PM

Flash sale for Call of Juarez: Gunslinger.  It was pretty good and one of the few games I've actually completed.  It was kind of short but it's definitely worth $3.74.
Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #179 on: June 24, 2014, 06:51:15 PM

Picked up Call of Juarez when it was a daily deal. Only played for a bit but I like it. I'm one of the few people that doesn't own Bastion. I assume it is worth $2.24?
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #180 on: June 24, 2014, 07:02:13 PM

Yes it is.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: June 25, 2014, 08:29:41 AM

Picked up FTL for something like no dollars.  Who the hell knew that game was so fun?  I didn't, that's who.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #182 on: June 25, 2014, 09:27:03 AM

Picked up FTL for something like no dollars.  Who the hell knew that game was so fun?  I didn't, that's who.

Four American dollars, sure.  No time to play anything but OH WELL.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #183 on: June 25, 2014, 10:13:34 AM

Hmm. Banner Saga.  Rest is not impressive/already owned.

-Rasix
Bhazrak
Terracotta Army

Reply #184 on: June 25, 2014, 12:05:31 PM

Decided to splurge on Age of Wonders 3 since it'd probably only be 10 dollars cheaper during the Christmas sale. Real fun if the idea of Civilization 5 and the Heroes of Might and Magic series being combined sounds like fun to you. A bit more like HoMM than CiV though, more combat/hero related than solely empire building.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #185 on: June 25, 2014, 12:12:23 PM

Hmm. Banner Saga.  Rest is not impressive/already owned.
If it was 66%-75% off, I'd go for it for sure. Right now.. ehhh, got too many other games to play!

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #186 on: June 25, 2014, 12:49:04 PM

I'm holding off on AoW3 until I hear more about it. Love AoW: Shadow Magic.

Banner Saga, I can wait for more discounting.

Bioshock I skipped the second and I'm not sure I liked the first enough to warrant $7.50 for the third one...

Tomb Raider maybe for a fin.

Next Car Game looks awesome...when it's done.

I think the most tempting is Endless Space?
pants
Terracotta Army

Reply #187 on: June 25, 2014, 02:16:58 PM

The secret world is $12 on flash for the next 3 hours if that catches your fancy.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #188 on: June 25, 2014, 02:31:45 PM

The secret world is $12 on flash for the next 3 hours if that catches your fancy.

My finger has been hovering over the purchase button on this one for awhile now. I can't make up my mind on it.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
schild
Administrator

Reply #189 on: June 25, 2014, 02:34:07 PM

Meh, don't bother.

The writing is better than other online games, relatively speaking, because all the rest are actual trash. Still, it's overrated. Massively.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #190 on: June 25, 2014, 03:39:14 PM

I think the most tempting is Endless Space?

It's a pretty dull and uninspired 4x.  I wouldn't bother with it. 

Banner Saga was great though.  Its combat could've used more depth, but the visuals, music and story are top notch.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #191 on: June 25, 2014, 05:17:40 PM

I'd defer to Sjofn on that, I haven't played it yet, but on my friends list it says she had like 20+ hours in it or something.

dont judge me

(although some of those hours were afk)

Game Dev Tycoon is the kind of game I like, where you click on things to earn not-XP to get new things to click on. It's not super deep, but I enjoy putting together combinations and figuring out how to dole out my labor and such. I'm almost at 30 hours now, and almost out of shit I feel like doing (which is on the low side for me for Tycoon and/or City Builder type games, to be honest). For how little I paid for it, though, certainly got my money's worth.

God Save the Horn Players
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #192 on: June 25, 2014, 06:23:06 PM

Hey look!  Dragon Age is on sale for 125% off. awesome, for real
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #193 on: June 25, 2014, 08:27:31 PM

Hey look!  Dragon Age is on sale for 125% off. awesome, for real

They're going to pay me to download it?  Neat.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #194 on: June 25, 2014, 08:40:01 PM

Meh, don't bother.

The writing is better than other online games, relatively speaking, because all the rest are actual trash. Still, it's overrated. Massively.

So it's Massively Multiplayer Overrated Role Playing Game?
Count me in.
Oh - not available in my region.
Cheebye.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #195 on: June 26, 2014, 06:39:09 AM

OK, so Steam is calling Kerbal Space Program an Early Access game. And I'm staying away from buying those.
But, would it be correct to think of KSP as an actually finished, working game, and its dev team are just continuing to add features?

On another note, this sale has brought a bunch of Early Access games to my attention. My list of games to keep an eye on keeps growing.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #196 on: June 26, 2014, 08:37:31 AM

Demonic is on sale! It's not a daily sale, but at 75% off it wont get cheaper anyway.

Bought!

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #197 on: June 26, 2014, 08:41:43 AM

OK, so Steam is calling Kerbal Space Program an Early Access game. And I'm staying away from buying those.
But, would it be correct to think of KSP as an actually finished, working game, and its dev team are just continuing to add features?

Not really. The sandbox mode is mostly finished, but the career mode is just getting started. If you just want a fun snap-together spaceship toy, then go for it. If you're looking for a Game with Progression and Missions, keep waiting.

That said, I've been "playing" since the very first public release (before you could even pre-order it), and I don't regret tossing $50 at them back when you could get early-alpha access for $8. I'm a weird space nerd and listen to the From The Earth To The Moon soundtrack while sailing my little green men around. YMMV.
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #198 on: June 26, 2014, 09:11:13 AM

Good info, thanks Yoru!

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #199 on: June 26, 2014, 10:49:10 AM

I've spent roughly $40 on various ~$5 games.  I'm really surprised with some of them.

The Blackwell Lecagy bundle (1-4, not 5) for $2.  I'm playing this with my 9yr old, letting her run the shots and helping only when she's stuck.  It's been a wonderful tandem experience so far, roughly 2/3 through the first game.

Talisman.  I never played the board game, but this version is surprisingly fun.  Based on what the expansions look like, I don't think I'd ever want to play the physical game.

Pixel Piracy.  Not sure why I bought this one, but after playing it a bit I think it might be interesting.  Thumbs up for my initial inspection.

The rest... meh.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #200 on: June 26, 2014, 10:53:57 AM

Nobody should ever play Talisman unless it's 3 am at a gaming convention and you're all stoned.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #201 on: June 26, 2014, 11:10:12 AM

We used to play shot per life lost.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Baldrake
Terracotta Army

Reply #202 on: June 26, 2014, 11:18:21 AM

So my kid is massively into trains, and I've been considering getting one of those train sims to play together. I know that this isn't most people's cup of tea, but any recommendations of Trainz Simulator 12 at $11.99 versus TS2 2014 at $8.24?
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #203 on: June 26, 2014, 01:07:03 PM

I picked up Aarklash: Legacy which has been on my wish list for a while. It's got a 60% discount ($8) throughout the sale but probably won't be part of a daily deal. Doesn't seem well-known enough.

I bring it up because it seems like the sort of game F13 might be into. It's a pause-and-play strategy RPG like the old Baldur's Gate games, but the combat is expanded on a bit further. Most abilities are aimed and something like a heal could hit an enemy if you didn't aim it carefully. Conversely, your characters can step out of the way of fireballs or into heals from enemy units and it's pretty easy to plan these sort of things out given that you can pause and queue commands at any time. The combat mechanics get almost MMO-esque at times with offensive dispels, spellsteal, interrupts, crowd control, etc. being extremely helpful if used well. There's also branching skill trees specific to each character and Diablo-esque loot.

The story is interesting so far, but it's pretty light. The focus is definitely on combat, which is fine by me as it's somewhere between Baldur's Gate and Grandia.

If you're interested it's here.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #204 on: June 26, 2014, 01:12:54 PM

So far zero dollars after buying a couple things on gog last week. And when I downloaded one of those (Eador) it ran like shit and yep it doesn't run right on multicore cpus or Win7. Life is too short to fuck with setting it to one core in fucking Wine, linux is not the answer.  swamp poop The game came out in 2009 ffs, not 1999. Get your shit together, indie devs.

Divinity coming out the day the sale ends has helped curb most impulse buys. Just gotta make it through the weekend, man.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #205 on: June 26, 2014, 01:21:19 PM

Divinity coming out the day the sale ends has helped curb most impulse buys. Just gotta make it through the weekend, man.

This has derailed most of my RPG impulse buys and desire to spend anything over $10.  While I haven't really cared about the Divinity series in the past, this title looks neat enough for a day 1 purchase.

-Rasix
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #206 on: June 26, 2014, 01:46:42 PM

We used to play shot per life lost.

Yeah this. Plus drinking in-between

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #207 on: June 26, 2014, 02:12:00 PM

So my kid is massively into trains, and I've been considering getting one of those train sims to play together. I know that this isn't most people's cup of tea, but any recommendations of Trainz Simulator 12 at $11.99 versus TS2 2014 at $8.24?

Train Simulator is all about the DLC for new trains/ tracks.  Browse those then decide.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Baldrake
Terracotta Army

Reply #208 on: June 26, 2014, 02:31:22 PM

Oh I know. They ought to give the base games away given how much they charge for the DLC.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #209 on: June 26, 2014, 05:22:20 PM

So far zero dollars after buying a couple things on gog last week. And when I downloaded one of those (Eador) it ran like shit and yep it doesn't run right on multicore cpus or Win7. Life is too short to fuck with setting it to one core in fucking Wine, linux is not the answer.  swamp poop The game came out in 2009 ffs, not 1999. Get your shit together, indie devs.

If you're talking about Eador:  Genesis, start up two copies of the game and it runs fine for most people. 
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Steam summer sale 2014  
Jump to: