Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:55:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: HEX: Eventual Shards of Fate (just get it from Steam) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: HEX: Eventual Shards of Fate (just get it from Steam)  (Read 50118 times)
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #175 on: December 14, 2014, 03:35:23 PM

Scold I don't really want to SirBruce you but I disagree with pretty much every point you've made. The best way to play Hex on a budget is just play draft; ~$7 for 4 hours of gaming and some cards added to your collection, which also lets you see a really wide variety of cards. After doing that a few times you can get a sense of what sort of constructed deck you might want and work towards it.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #176 on: December 14, 2014, 05:58:56 PM

Did he just reference counter strike as an example of a game with a good community?    swamp poop

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Scold
Terracotta Army

Reply #177 on: December 14, 2014, 11:09:12 PM

Did he just reference counter strike as an example of a game with a good community?    swamp poop

...if you disagree, what data points are you basing it on? The main CSGO forum these days is Reddit, and /r/GlobalOffensive is usually quite civil. Ingame, voice chat on ranked matches more often than not is people talking things over civilly, 'nice try dude' if you miss your clutch shot, etc. (Unless of course you're on Euro servers and get paired with Russians)

As for the pros, there's occasional drama certainly, but a lot of the biggest personalities in the pro world like Fiffy, Pasza, etc. are known for their friendliness, fan interaction on Twitch, etc. It's not as heartwarming/fuzzy as the Smash Bros community (which is still the gold standard for a competitive gaming community), but it's definitely not the Bad Old Days anymore.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 11:15:57 PM by Scold »
Scold
Terracotta Army

Reply #178 on: December 14, 2014, 11:11:59 PM

The problem is, in a TCG, your cards have actual value.  The things you want would tank the economy of a TCG.

I don't want my cards to have actual value -- it adds nothing except impediments to actually playing the game. I am not into playing CNBC with my cardstock. I want to have fun playing a video game. The stellar NetRunner re-release has proven the superiority of the non-collectible model in my eyes.

Scold I don't really want to SirBruce you but I disagree with pretty much every point you've made. The best way to play Hex on a budget is just play draft; ~$7 for 4 hours of gaming and some cards added to your collection, which also lets you see a really wide variety of cards. After doing that a few times you can get a sense of what sort of constructed deck you might want and work towards it.

I don't mind them charging for people who want to draft extra, but not getting free drafts every day or two is a huge problem since I can't feel free to experiment with my draft deck in a fun way without it costing me RL cash. SolForge handles this well with either 1 free draft or 2 free constructed tourneys (or 2 free phantom drafts) per week, assuming you log in daily.

Modern games are fucking Twitter compared to Magic's long form book style.

If that's what you like, cool.

I like Twilight Struggle and Magic. That's how things go.

A game can have MtG-level complexity without needing each of MtG's design and distribution decisions. (And it's not like every block of MtG has had a particularly scintillating meta; it's been hot and cold over the years, just as with many similar games)

In particular, I think SolForge's card leveling/transformation mechanic, if explored properly, allows for greater depth in both deck construction and gameplay than the MtG power ramping system. In sets 3 and 4, as SBE starts to really explore that design space, that's really starting to become apparent.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 11:27:33 PM by Scold »
WayAbvPar

Reply #179 on: December 14, 2014, 11:30:59 PM

Uninstall. Not the game for you.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
schild
Administrator

Reply #180 on: December 15, 2014, 07:10:01 AM

In particular, I think SolForge's card leveling/transformation mechanic, if explored properly, allows for greater depth in both deck construction and gameplay than the MtG power ramping system. In sets 3 and 4, as SBE starts to really explore that design space, that's really starting to become apparent.

This is literally insane. A small shell script can probably play SolForge effectively. I have to assume you're trolling me at this point.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: December 15, 2014, 08:23:36 AM

Uninstall. Not the game for you.

Exactly this.

There is no point playing this if it is the TCG concept that you don't like. Trading and card libraries are a part of the game, they are not outside if it. It's OK not to like that fact, but you are wasting your time trying out games that are explicitly designed in this way. It's like buying Call of Duty and then declaring there is too much shooting.

Also, broader advice, you'll probably enjoy life more if you don't start convincing yourself that entire genres are simply superior to other genres.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #182 on: December 15, 2014, 09:04:20 AM

In fairness, if there was Any Sniff of PvE, it might be ok to talk in this fashion.

However, I'm going to have to agree with the 'Uninstall' Crowd.  This just doesn't seem to be your game, so best off just leaving it.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Scold
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: December 15, 2014, 01:47:49 PM

This is literally insane. A small shell script can probably play SolForge effectively. I have to assume you're trolling me at this point.

...when was the last time you played SolForge? The way you talk about the game, tbh it seems like your experience with it is seriously limited. The game has an extremely high skill ceiling in draft, as evidenced by the ability of top players to consistently 4-0 and 3-1 for dozens of drafts on end (either record allows you to draft again without paying additional money).

My guess is you popped into the game for a bit during vanilla set 1 and your impressions were formed by that?
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #184 on: January 15, 2015, 04:14:34 PM

For those of you who don't follow the Hex subforum, we're starting an f13 League.

http://forums.f13.net/index.php?topic=24641.0

Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #185 on: January 15, 2015, 05:07:59 PM

For those of you who don't follow the Hex subforum, we're starting an f13 League.

http://forums.f13.net/index.php?topic=24641.0

I think access to that subforum is still restricted, I'm getting an "off limits" from that link.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #186 on: January 15, 2015, 05:14:09 PM

It is, PM a mod for access (schild isn't in IRC or I'd harass him for you).

schild
Administrator

Reply #187 on: January 15, 2015, 05:22:22 PM

Kail, you now have access.
WayAbvPar

Reply #188 on: February 16, 2016, 03:04:45 PM

In case f13 is your only source of Hex news, and you aren't in the private forum, this has finally gone 'gold' with a fairly large PvE update. Still missing some stuff from the Kickstarter (guilds, etc), but the free to play part is reasonably robust now. Worth checking out if you haven't yet done so.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #189 on: February 16, 2016, 07:57:13 PM

If you need commons, hit me up!

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #190 on: February 17, 2016, 05:26:57 AM

I can also contribute to any f13er's collection.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #191 on: February 24, 2016, 04:41:37 PM

Making time for this is the difficult part, but I am going to try a bit harder with this news.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #192 on: April 27, 2016, 02:08:51 PM

Set 4 was (finally) released and Hex is also available on Steam now.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #193 on: April 27, 2016, 03:21:12 PM

But is it any good yet?
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #194 on: April 27, 2016, 03:35:34 PM

But is it any good yet?

Initial impressions are yes.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #195 on: April 27, 2016, 04:05:09 PM

It's been good all along. The problems have been entirely with set release delays, in my opinion.
schild
Administrator

Reply #196 on: April 27, 2016, 05:33:19 PM

Haven't encountered a single bug, and seriously, this set seems great.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #197 on: April 27, 2016, 05:47:18 PM

Yeah, I'm really liking Set 4 so far (it helps that I've been doing pretty well early on).
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #198 on: April 27, 2016, 07:48:49 PM

It's been good all along. The problems have been entirely with set release delays, in my opinion.

I played from the start, there were a lot more issues than just set release delays!

Good to know it's more stable now, I might give it a whirl.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #199 on: April 27, 2016, 07:54:02 PM

Set 4 is excellent and it's easier (cheaper) to start playing now due to a new evolving sealed gauntlet pvp format and expanded pve.  I still recommend swiss draft for new players though.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
WayAbvPar

Reply #200 on: April 28, 2016, 10:04:50 AM

It is definitely starting to flesh out. If they can ever get regular set releases and add some game types, they will really have something. Set 4 was long overdue, but it might just have been worth the wait. Seems really fun so far.

The chat system is still a fucking disaster though. If you want to communicate with friends it is far easier to use 3rd party software.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #201 on: April 28, 2016, 02:16:05 PM

The chat system is still a fucking disaster though. If you want to communicate with friends it is far easier to use 3rd party software.

Yeah, I tend to avoid it to the point where I only just now noticed that I have friend requests from a half a dozen people here that I never accepted. Not that there's much reason to talk while playing unless you end up in a draft with someone you know. 9 times out of 10 now I don't even respond to the customary "gl and hf" some people greet you with at the start of a match.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #202 on: April 28, 2016, 02:19:03 PM

Reminder that we do have an Irc channel for people who want to talk hex.
hal1
Terracotta Army

Reply #203 on: April 29, 2016, 05:15:11 PM

This may not work well, but I'm gonna try anyway. Can I please have access to the super seekret hex forum? I downloaded it yesterday (from steam) been playing today. And prolly understand 1% of what is going on. So any and all insight will be helpful.
schild
Administrator

Reply #204 on: April 29, 2016, 05:46:24 PM

This may not work well, but I'm gonna try anyway. Can I please have access to the super seekret hex forum? I downloaded it yesterday (from steam) been playing today. And prolly understand 1% of what is going on. So any and all insight will be helpful.
You have access.
hal1
Terracotta Army

Reply #205 on: April 29, 2016, 07:26:36 PM

Thank you. I want to say so much more. But just thank you.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #206 on: April 30, 2016, 06:25:35 PM

I went to download this and was then reminded of how many games I got shafted because the timer issues with lag. Have those been addressed?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #207 on: April 30, 2016, 07:12:42 PM

Lag seems to be in the "annoying at worst" stage and has been for a long time. I don't think I've seen a game won or dropped for timer issues due to discos or lag in almost a year.

Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #208 on: May 01, 2016, 08:02:34 AM

Just reinstalled, figured out passwords, etc, blergh, their font rendering still makes my eyes bleed.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #209 on: May 01, 2016, 09:03:10 AM

Just reinstalled. I was given a beta code two years ago by eldaec, but I didn't do much with it because it was raw and required money and I decided to wait. As far as I know, I had zero cards. Or a couple of starter decks, not sure what you used to start with back then. Reinstalled today and apparently I have 1256 cards in my collection. Is it possible? How? Why?

EDIT: They are all white and green. And literally three blue.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 09:17:50 AM by Falconeer »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: HEX: Eventual Shards of Fate (just get it from Steam)  
Jump to: